Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page What are you playing?
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 06.05.2011, 03:46 PM   #4081
Dr. Eugene Felikson
invito al cielo

Dr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's asses
correct. lol
Dr. Eugene Felikson is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.05.2011, 03:53 PM   #4082
Derek
invito al cielo

Derek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Eugene Felikson
Re-bought a DS off of noisereducks and tricked it out WICKED CLOWN STYLE today!!!!

Derek is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.07.2011, 01:28 PM   #4083
Dr. Eugene Felikson
invito al cielo

Dr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's asses
HAHAhAHA! ^^^

NEW NINTENDO CONSOLE Wii-U revealed TODAY!!!!!!!!!!!

http://wii.ign.com/articles/117/1173582p1.html

Quote:
E3 2011: Playing the Wii U

Nintendo's new console is here, and we've played it.

June 7, 2011

by Richard George

EVENT COVERAGE
E3 2011

It's the dawn of a new Nintendo generation. After five years of pursuing a "blue ocean strategy," the Big N is shifting to a new console, one that rivals (and potentially exceeds) consoles currently in stores. After months of having IGN's Nintendo team tracking down sources and bringing you a comprehensive picture of Wii's successor, I've finally had the chance to use the new controller and play demos on the system.

In short, Nintendo's gamble works. The controller is the best of both worlds, mixing traditional button inputs with the advantage of having an interface unlike anything we've seen from a home console.

THE CONTROLLER BASICS

What we've been reporting and suspected is true. The primary controller for Nintendo's next console is tablet based, featuring a 6.2 inch touch screen. This new device also features a very standard array of buttons, including a d-pad, four face buttons, four shoulder triggers, a power button and a camera.

One of the more interesting alterations to conventional design is the system features two analog sliders at the top of the controller rather than traditional sticks. Don't make the mistake of thinking these sliders are like the 3DS "circle pad." The texture and top shape of the sliders are much more akin to Wii's nunchuk, meaning the grip and precision of movement are much better.

The tablet itself appears large, but is actually quite comfortable to grip. The two sliders both being located at the top of the tablet make holding it considerably easier. A staggered configuration would only have worked with a much smaller design. Nintendo was also smart in making the new controller extremely light for its size, resulting in something that might look strange but is not as burdensome as it would seem.

The other major design element is a horizontal "grip" that runs underneath the tablet. The grip, however, is mostly there to house two of the system's triggers, with the remaining two being on the shoulder of the main body of the device.

More important is the fact that the new console is backwards compatible with Wii controllers. Nintendo's demos suggested it is very intent on utilizing its current generation remotes - without alteration - alongside the new tablet. In fact while the number of Wii remotes changed between mini-games, I only ever used one tablet controller.

THE TECH DEMOS

In addition to a few mini-games and one major franchise cinematic, Nintendo's presentation to me included a couple sequences designed to show off the power of the system and the innovative applications of the controller. The first, simply called "HD Experience," featured a hawk soaring through a traditional Japanese setting including cherry blossom trees and a temple. Graphically the scene was far better than Wii, of course, but I wasn't impressed at all with the quality of the textures or aesthetic design. For something that was supposed to demonstrate the power of the system, this particularly sequence failed to impress. One noteworthy element was that the tablet controller was replicating the visuals on the TV on its smaller screen, and moving the tablet would cause the camera behind the hawk to move, allowing the player to see more of the landscape.

The rough shape of this demo is no cause for concern, however. At the end of my time with the new system, Nintendo played an interactive cinematic that put all my fears to rest. The difference in quality between that sequence and this was light years apart, making me wonder why I watched the hawk video in the first place.

The second major tech demonstration featured live footage of Japan, with a camera moving down a crowded street, hovering above vehicles. Like the hawk demo, the tablet was also featuring the footage shown on the television. But as I moved the new controller, I was able to see more of the city around me, without altering what was being shown on the larger screen. I could move the tablet upward to see the sky, or downward to see the street moving under me. Even more impressive, I could start to rotate the controller or "aim" it behind me to see where I had been. Pressing a button would also flip the portable display behind me, allowing me to see backwards similar to a rearview mirror. The potential for racing games with this sort of technology is truly impressive.

CHASING AND BATTLING MIIS

I played two Mii mini-games on the new console. In a word, they are both fantastic. In concept, execution, scope and entertainment, they are leaps and bounds beyond what you experienced on Wii. I realize we all had fun with tennis and sword fighting, but Chase Mii and Battle Mii are very, very much capable of selling people on the capabilities of the new system. Most important of all, the concepts are easy to learn, but with some added settings and levels down the line, I'd very much like to see these as some sort of final product.

Click here to read more on Chase Mii.

Click here to read more on Battle Mii.

FIGHTING PIRATES WITH RHYTHM

It's no secret that I have absolutely no rhythm. I can't get one step right in Dance Dance Revolution. When Nintendo told me I'd be trying a music-based game, I cringed. Yet blocking airborne plungers with my shield in sync with a beat in the background turned out to be a rather painless experience. By far the most quirky demo I saw, Pirate Horde was fairly addicting, and the developers of the demo weren't afraid to step up the difficulty in relatively short order. This wasn't my favorite game, but it was strong.

Click here to read more on Shield Pose.

THE NEXT GENERATION OF ZELDA

To be honest, I didn't think Nintendo would be daring enough to show off any sort of Zelda HD demo, despite the fact that the franchise is clearly the one that would benefit the most from a vastly more powerful system. This was based off of the Twilight Princess era Zelda characters, not Skyward Sword, so those of you expecting Wii's last major game to jump ship, this demo wasn't proof of that.

I wasn't able to control Link, but the battle between him and Gohma that I saw was breathtaking nonetheless. Between changing the lighting, camera controls and even the tablet's display, this demo above all the others proved how Nintendo franchises might benefit from increased power. This was gorgeous stuff.

Click here to read more on Nintendo's HD Zelda demo.

That covers everything I had a chance to see during Nintendo's hands-on tour of the new system. At the time of my meeting, no details were given for much else about the system's capabilities. I didn't even see the design of the new console. Still, my time with the new controller opened my eyes to a new way of gaming. It's remarkable that simply adding an extra screen can truly change how games are played. It will be utterly fascinating to see how Nintendo and other developers take advantage of this innovative twist.

Like what you're hearing? Are you more excited for the new console? Sound off in the comments below!

Old 06.07.2011, 02:52 PM   #4084
Dr. Eugene Felikson
invito al cielo

I wasn't completely sold until I watched this - http://www.ign.com/videos/2011/06/07...u-announcement

LOOK HOW COOL THAT IS!
Old 06.07.2011, 07:41 PM   #4085
Dr. Eugene Felikson
invito al cielo

Quote:
I wasn't completely sold until I watched this - http://www.ign.com/videos/2011/06/07...u-announcement

LOOK HOW COOL THAT IS!

QFT
Old 06.07.2011, 09:09 PM   #4086
GeneticKiss
expwy. to yr skull

GeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's asses
Meh, more excited about Sonic Generations. Just learned about it today.
Old 06.07.2011, 09:39 PM   #4087
Ghostchase
100%

Ghostchase kicks all y'all's assesGhostchase kicks all y'all's assesGhostchase kicks all y'all's assesGhostchase kicks all y'all's assesGhostchase kicks all y'all's assesGhostchase kicks all y'all's assesGhostchase kicks all y'all's assesGhostchase kicks all y'all's assesGhostchase kicks all y'all's assesGhostchase kicks all y'all's assesGhostchase kicks all y'all's asses
Hey don't snipe Shigeru-sensei!

"LIKE CYCLING SOUNDS AWESOME!"

LOL

I'm amazed and excited, I must say. But see that the Wii beside the TV during the ad still looks the same.
Ghostchase is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.07.2011, 09:42 PM   #4088
Dr. Eugene Felikson
invito al cielo

I just hope it comes in black.
Old 06.07.2011, 10:40 PM   #4089
Ghostchase
100%

Ghostchase kicks all y'all's assesGhostchase kicks all y'all's assesGhostchase kicks all y'all's assesGhostchase kicks all y'all's assesGhostchase kicks all y'all's assesGhostchase kicks all y'all's assesGhostchase kicks all y'all's assesGhostchase kicks all y'all's assesGhostchase kicks all y'all's assesGhostchase kicks all y'all's assesGhostchase kicks all y'all's asses
I like white.
Ghostchase is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.09.2011, 07:36 PM   #4090
Dr. Eugene Felikson
invito al cielo

Old 06.11.2011, 12:56 AM   #4091
Sonic Youth 37
invito al cielo

Location: if there is a bright spot in the universe, the farthest point from it
Sonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's asses
Because I don't have a PS3 and want to play Red Dead Redemption so much.

I like the idea and the story/presentation are aces, but the gameplay leaves a lot to be desired. Glitchy as fuck sometimes and unnecessarily difficult in addition. I'm about 1/3 of the way through and several times I've wanted to break the controller from frustration.

and

3-D hack'n'slash Castlevania=badass. The fixed camera can make jumping/swinging a little annoying and the lack of a level-up system baffles me, but the rest of the game is great.
Old 06.13.2011, 02:18 AM   #4092
Dr. Eugene Felikson
invito al cielo

Got this for $5 at a flea market today. A nice intro to a series I've been meaning to get around to for quite a while now.

Performing surgeries makes me so tense!
Old 06.13.2011, 12:09 PM   #4093
EVOLghost
invito al cielo

EVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's asses
then you need to see this Doctor. Its a spoof of the game made by egoraptor. if you haven't seen his spoofs, I reccommend them. They're fantastic. and this one is one of my faves too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-dB8wBr76Jg
EVOLghost is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.15.2011, 02:18 AM   #4094
Dr. Eugene Felikson
invito al cielo

Wow, what a treat! I'd hate to jump the gun, but this might be one of the most fun, well-polished, and inventive platformers I've ever played!
It's a damned shame that Game Freak is stuck in eternal Poke'mon hell when they're capable putting together slick new franchises like this.
Old 06.15.2011, 03:37 PM   #4095
Dr. Eugene Felikson
invito al cielo

I was reading through the posts here, and I can't help but wonder what a lot of your guys' preferences are in gaming; what consoles you own(ed), all-time favorite game(s)/console(s) and what-not.

So yeah if anyone cares to share, it might get some good discussion going.

Yup.
Old 06.15.2011, 03:53 PM   #4096
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
I've not gotten past the PS2, but

Resident Evil 4 - PS2
Ico - PS2
Sim City - PC
Silent Hill 2 - PS2
Championship Manager - PC
Silent Hill 3 - PS2
Gran Turismo 4 - PS2
Ecco the Dolphin - PS
Fatal Frame - PS2
Elite - ZX Spectrum
Pro Evolution Soccer - PS2
Golden Eye - N64
Silent Hill - PS
Manhunt - PS2
Need for Speed - Underground - PS2
demonrail666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.15.2011, 04:04 PM   #4097
floatingslowly
invito al cielo

floatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's asses
ok. I'll start.

real men play PC games>xbox is for boys>little girls/weeaboos play nintendo/playstation.

I hope this helps.

floatingslowly is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.15.2011, 04:08 PM   #4098
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic Youth 37

I like the idea and the story/presentation are aces, but the gameplay leaves a lot to be desired. Glitchy as fuck sometimes and unnecessarily difficult in addition. I'm about 1/3 of the way through and several times I've wanted to break the controller from frustration.

Much the same could be said of practically any Rockstar game. Manhunt's the one with the least playability issues for me. As you say, they're packed with ideas and have great presentation, but their actual games always feel a bit half finished to me.
Old 06.15.2011, 04:11 PM   #4099
Dr. Eugene Felikson
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonrail666
I've not gotten past the PS2, but

Resident Evil 4 - PS2
Ico - PS2
Sim City - PC
Silent Hill 2 - PS2
Championship Manager - PC
Silent Hill 3 - PS2
Gran Turismo 4 - PS2
Ecco the Dolphin - PS
Fatal Frame - PS2
Elite - ZX Spectrum
Pro Evolution Soccer - PS2
Golden Eye - N64
Silent Hill - PS
Manhunt - PS2
Need for Speed - Underground - PS2

Resident Evil 4 - PS2 - I love the original GC version of this. It was such refreshing change of pace to the series. I couldn't believe how beautifully it controlled, and how realistic the graphics were. I still prefer Code Veronica overall, but this one was mind-blowing when it came out!

Ico - PS2 - I've heard amazing things about this, but I've yet to play it - which sucks, because it seems to go up in price little by little every year. Same developers as Shadow of the Colossus right? I haven't gotten to either of those, but probably should, as my PS2 collection is admittedly lacking.

Sim City - PC - The SNES version was really fun to me, although I don't know if I could still get absorbed by it these days.

Silent Hill Franchise - I hate to admit it, but I've always been such an RE fanboy that I've never gotten around to a single game in this franchise. It looks like an awfully good survival horror franchise though.

Gran Turismo 4 - PS2
- I've never really gotten into standard racing games. I need go-karts and turtle shells to keep me excited. What exactly is the main appeal of this series?

Ecco the Dolphin - PS -
I still need to check this out, the Dreamcast version looks especially nice. I remember shitting my pants over it (and Shenmue) in '99

Fatal Frame - PS2 - I'm embarrassed to not have at least tried this by now.

Golden Eye - N64 - Classic. I rarely play FPS games, but this one will forever have a special place in my heart.

Manhunt - PS2 -
Hahaha
Old 06.15.2011, 04:29 PM   #4100
demonrail666
invito al cielo

Quote:
Resident Evil 4 - PS2 - I love the original GC version of this. It was such refreshing change of pace to the series. I couldn't believe how beautifully it controlled, and how realistic the graphics were. I still prefer Code Veronica overall, but this one was mind-blowing when it came out!

I love Code Veronica but I'll always say, that fish thing in the river in RE4 is fucking terrifying.

Quote:
Silent Hill Franchise - I hate to admit it, but I've always been such an RE fanboy that I've never gotten around to a single game in this franchise. It looks like an awfully good survival horror franchise though.

I can't imagine you not loving it. Infinitely darker than RE. Both brilliant but SH has this atmosphere which can actually start getting to you - especially the sounds. SH2 is flat out disturbing.

Quote:
Ico - PS2 - I've heard amazing things about this, but I've yet to play it - which sucks, because it seems to go up in price little by little every year. Same developers as Shadow of the Colossus right? I haven't gotten to either of those, but probably should, as my PS2 collection is admittedly lacking.

Sim City - PC - The SNES version was really fun to me, although I don't know if I could still get absorbed by it these days.

Ecco the Dolphin - PS - I still need to check this out, the Dreamcast version looks especially nice. I remember shitting my pants over it (and Shenmue) in '99

They're very bong-friendly is all I can really say about them. To be fair though, Ico is genuinely amazing.
155195202203204 205 206207208215255 > »
-->

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth