Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page ECM Records
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 05.22.2011, 12:34 PM   #1
The Watcher
children of satan

The Watcher kicks all y'all's assesThe Watcher kicks all y'all's assesThe Watcher kicks all y'all's assesThe Watcher kicks all y'all's assesThe Watcher kicks all y'all's assesThe Watcher kicks all y'all's assesThe Watcher kicks all y'all's assesThe Watcher kicks all y'all's assesThe Watcher kicks all y'all's assesThe Watcher kicks all y'all's assesThe Watcher kicks all y'all's asses
Any favorites? I'm a big fan of Dave Holland's Conference Of The Birds LP, as well as Roscoe Mitchell's Composition/Improvisation 1, 2 & 3 which I thought was one of the best records I've bought in the last few years, not to mention the Codona trilogy with Don Cherry which I think is fantastic, and I really like Tabula Rasa from Arvo Part........ and I've picked up a few records here and there in the used bins from Terje Rypdal, Eberhard Weber and others which are really cool, and I plan to pick up some others, like the Evan Parker concert series and Marilyn Crispell's work......

That guy Keith Jarrett is okay too, but I'm not in love with him or anything.
The Watcher is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.22.2011, 01:23 PM   #2
keep poppin pimples
expwy. to yr skull

keep poppin pimples kicks all y'all's asseskeep poppin pimples kicks all y'all's asseskeep poppin pimples kicks all y'all's asseskeep poppin pimples kicks all y'all's asseskeep poppin pimples kicks all y'all's asseskeep poppin pimples kicks all y'all's asseskeep poppin pimples kicks all y'all's asseskeep poppin pimples kicks all y'all's asseskeep poppin pimples kicks all y'all's asseskeep poppin pimples kicks all y'all's asseskeep poppin pimples kicks all y'all's asses
http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=38959

haven't got new ones in awhile so my list still stands

Edward Vesala-Nan Madol
Egberto Gismonti-Dança Das Cabeças
Codona-1
Old and New dreams-S/T
Lester Bowie-The Great Pretender
Lester Bowie-All The Magic
Art Ensemble Of Chicago-Full Force
Leo Smith- Divine Love
Dewey Redman-The Struggle Continues
keep poppin pimples is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.22.2011, 01:35 PM   #3
The Watcher
children of satan

The Watcher kicks all y'all's assesThe Watcher kicks all y'all's assesThe Watcher kicks all y'all's assesThe Watcher kicks all y'all's assesThe Watcher kicks all y'all's assesThe Watcher kicks all y'all's assesThe Watcher kicks all y'all's assesThe Watcher kicks all y'all's assesThe Watcher kicks all y'all's assesThe Watcher kicks all y'all's assesThe Watcher kicks all y'all's asses
Gah the search function wouldn't allow me to use ECM because it was too short or something....... I tried, believe me....... I even used "records" to try and see if came up under "favorite ECM Records" or something........
Old 05.22.2011, 04:13 PM   #4
hirsute_biped
the end of the ugly

hirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asseshirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asseshirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asseshirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asseshirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asseshirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asseshirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asseshirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asseshirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asseshirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asseshirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asses
Abercrombie/Holland/DeJohnette: Gateway
hirsute_biped is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.23.2011, 05:28 AM   #5
Kuhb
children of satan

Kuhb kicks all y'all's assesKuhb kicks all y'all's assesKuhb kicks all y'all's assesKuhb kicks all y'all's assesKuhb kicks all y'all's assesKuhb kicks all y'all's assesKuhb kicks all y'all's assesKuhb kicks all y'all's assesKuhb kicks all y'all's assesKuhb kicks all y'all's assesKuhb kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Watcher
Any favorites? I'm a big fan of Dave Holland's Conference Of The Birds LP, as well as Roscoe Mitchell's Composition/Improvisation 1, 2 & 3 which I thought was one of the best records I've bought in the last few years, not to mention the Codona trilogy with Don Cherry which I think is fantastic, and I really like Tabula Rasa from Arvo Part........ and I've picked up a few records here and there in the used bins from Terje Rypdal, Eberhard Weber and others which are really cool, and I plan to pick up some others, like the Evan Parker concert series and Marilyn Crispell's work......

That guy Keith Jarrett is okay too, but I'm not in love with him or anything.

If you like Roscoe Mitchell stuff, that album has a sister album called Boustrophedon by Evan Parker. It's the same group, in the same session, just with different charts and with Parker conducting. It's just as good.

Some favourites:
Tomasz Stanko- Leosia
Paul Motian- Time and Time Again
John Abercrombie- The Third Quartet <MUST LISTEN>
Bobo Stenson- Goodbye/War Orphans

ECM is a pretty consistently amazing label for something so 'mainstream' by some standards... there's a bit of easy listening stuff on there, but there is a whole heap of geniunely groundbreaking music. Some albums, like Keith Jarrett's Carnegie Hall Concert, will be analysed for the next 30-40 years to figure out what he's doing. I can't think of anyone who has created anything similar to that out of a piano.. it's a whole new language.
Kuhb is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.23.2011, 11:13 AM   #6
The Watcher
children of satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuhb
If you like Roscoe Mitchell stuff, that album has a sister album called Boustrophedon by Evan Parker. It's the same group, in the same session, just with different charts and with Parker conducting. It's just as good.

This one is definitely on my list of stuff to check out, that Roscoe Mitchell Improvisation album just blew me away, really amazing! And I love his stuff from the 60's too, Sound, Congliptious and the Old/Quartet Sessions are all favorites of mine........ And of course the AAC stuff too rules, Les Stance Au Sophie is an incredible album. That guy is a true genius!
Old 05.23.2011, 12:11 PM   #7
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
mainly really into the dave holland stuff as well as all the arvo part stuff on ecm. Huge arvo part fan right here!

great label!

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.24.2011, 06:47 AM   #8
Kuhb
children of satan

Kuhb kicks all y'all's assesKuhb kicks all y'all's assesKuhb kicks all y'all's assesKuhb kicks all y'all's assesKuhb kicks all y'all's assesKuhb kicks all y'all's assesKuhb kicks all y'all's assesKuhb kicks all y'all's assesKuhb kicks all y'all's assesKuhb kicks all y'all's assesKuhb kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
This one is definitely on my list of stuff to check out, that Roscoe Mitchell Improvisation album just blew me away, really amazing! And I love his stuff from the 60's too, Sound, Congliptious and the Old/Quartet Sessions are all favorites of mine........ And of course the AAC stuff too rules, Les Stance Au Sophie is an incredible album. That guy is a true genius!

Yeah, you gotta get it.. the moment when the first track moves to the second tracks is beyond words.

No joke about Roscoe Mitchell.. in jazz circles he's seen as a monster but still he is so underrated. I love the AAC Tribute to Lester album, he's on fire on that one.
Kuhb is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.24.2011, 07:25 AM   #9
keep poppin pimples
expwy. to yr skull

keep poppin pimples kicks all y'all's asseskeep poppin pimples kicks all y'all's asseskeep poppin pimples kicks all y'all's asseskeep poppin pimples kicks all y'all's asseskeep poppin pimples kicks all y'all's asseskeep poppin pimples kicks all y'all's asseskeep poppin pimples kicks all y'all's asseskeep poppin pimples kicks all y'all's asseskeep poppin pimples kicks all y'all's asseskeep poppin pimples kicks all y'all's asseskeep poppin pimples kicks all y'all's asses
i have an anthony braxton LP on a different label, the sleeve of which is a glaring rip off of the ecm style, i was surprised to see it was on a different label
Old 05.24.2011, 08:25 AM   #10
The Watcher
children of satan

I know Duets 1976, Creative Music Orchestra and Alto Saxophone Improvisations all kind of look like they're on ECM, but in fact they are on Arista....... those were fertile times, my friend......... fertile times for great records..........
Old 05.24.2011, 09:27 AM   #11
keep poppin pimples
expwy. to yr skull

it's called seven standards vol. II, on magenta records
Old 05.24.2011, 10:04 AM   #12
The Watcher
children of satan

My god that guy has a lot of records....... I have a bunch of his "essentials" like For Alto, the s/t, 3 Compositions and the Arista box set and some of his GTM series....... I fucking love the live one he did with Wolf Eyes. That shit is hella tight........
Old 05.24.2011, 06:25 PM   #13
terminal pharmacy
invito al cielo

terminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's asses
heiner goebbels' surroggate cities is a favourite of mine. symphony for samlper and orchestra.
terminal pharmacy is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.24.2011, 09:08 PM   #14
Savage Clone
invito al cielo

Savage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's asses
Stephan Micus!
Savage Clone is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.24.2011, 09:21 PM   #15
SuperCreep
expwy. to yr skull

SuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Stephan Micus!
yes! i just heard "implosions" the other week. really gorgeous. i need to get more from him.

i'm not too much of an ECM fan overall, dave holland, AEC, arvo part, steve reich, and a few others aside. some of it is just too "smooth" in a really nauseating new age-y way. still a fair number of choice albums to make it a good label in my books, though.

SuperCreep is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.24.2011, 10:17 PM   #16
The Watcher
children of satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by terminal pharmacy
heiner goebbels' surroggate cities is a favourite of mine. symphony for samlper and orchestra.

Maybe it's just that I've been reading about WWII non stop recently, but this dude should really consider changing his name.......
Old 05.24.2011, 10:23 PM   #17
Savage Clone
invito al cielo

Savage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's asses
My bandmate recorded the first couple of Steve Tibbetts LPs, and the engineer of our last LP was Steve's bass player in the early ECM times.
Savage Clone is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.25.2011, 03:59 AM   #18
terminal pharmacy
invito al cielo

terminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Maybe it's just that I've been reading about WWII non stop recently, but this dude should really consider changing his name.......

yeah it does have a certain aryan ring...
terminal pharmacy is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.25.2011, 05:11 AM   #19
keep poppin pimples
expwy. to yr skull

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperCreep
some of it is just too "smooth" in a really nauseating new age-y way. still a fair number of choice albums to make it a good label in my books, though.

i agree, it does sound smooth..the mix. it sounds good but the smoothness and softness of it makes the music have less presence. compared say a rudy van gelder master, which i think has alot presence
Old 05.25.2011, 08:08 AM   #20
The Watcher
children of satan

I've really been getting into Terje Rypdal lately too, that Odyssey album is insanely good!!

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth