Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page >>the last movie you watched
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 06.19.2017, 08:43 AM   #21201
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
"look at the succesful white folks and their problems solved by more money" is what Mad Men was about.
Old 06.19.2017, 10:50 AM   #21202
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
"look at the succesful white folks and their problems solved by more money" is what Mad Men was about.

I really don't think that's what Mad Men was about.

That's like saying Sopranos was about "all the rich gangsters and how they use violence to solve all their problems." Just an extremely shallow read.

Though I'll admit, I haven't seen Mad Men in its entirety.
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.19.2017, 10:56 AM   #21203
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
it goes nowhere. don;t worry about it. Mad Men was CANDY. a horrible man in a horrible marriage, with a horrible wife, and a shit job that only exists to lie to the public to make them buy the shit they don't want or need. Fucking horrible, aimless, pointless show. poor whoreson steals identity after his CO is blown up, ruins the lives of his fake identity's family in the process, lies his way to a job selling shit to idiots, destroys a marriage, fucks random women in front of his duaghter cuz he just dont give a fuck, ignores his son for 7 seasons, marries a french girl, ruins her life, goes to a zen retreat and makes the single most saccharine and successful (because americans are stupid AF ad want corporate trolls to feed them their happiness and comraderie) ad campaign of all time. wow . horrible horrible.
Old 06.19.2017, 10:59 AM   #21204
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

sopranos never forgot that every single mob guy was a FUCKING HORRIBLE MONSTER PSEUDO-HUMAN PREDATOR. Mad Men never gave a fuck either way, even though it's protagonist was just as much a shithole empty sell of a human.
Old 06.19.2017, 11:11 AM   #21205
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
sopranos never forgot that every single mob guy was a FUCKING HORRIBLE MONSTER PSEUDO-HUMAN PREDATOR. Mad Men never gave a fuck either way, even though it's protagonist was just as much a shithole empty sell of a human.

Is that summary really accurate? Because now I don't want to watch it through to the end.

And you're right. Sopranos never forgot that it was dealing with absolute fucking subhuman monsters, but it allowed the audience to forget from time to time, making it all the more horrifying when things snapped back into focus.

Not a show I'll ever likely watch again.
Old 06.19.2017, 11:42 AM   #21206
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
it goes nowhere. don;t worry about it. Mad Men was CANDY. a horrible man in a horrible marriage, with a horrible wife, and a shit job that only exists to lie to the public to make them buy the shit they don't want or need. Fucking horrible, aimless, pointless show. poor whoreson steals identity after his CO is blown up, ruins the lives of his fake identity's family in the process, lies his way to a job selling shit to idiots, destroys a marriage, fucks random women in front of his duaghter cuz he just dont give a fuck, ignores his son for 7 seasons, marries a french girl, ruins her life, goes to a zen retreat and makes the single most saccharine and successful (because americans are stupid AF ad want corporate trolls to feed them their happiness and comraderie) ad campaign of all time. wow . horrible horrible.
great summary exept for the "fucking horrible, aimless pointless show."

fucking horrible, aimless, pointless life maybe? sure. but the show? no fucking way.

the whole point of it was precisely that after all his millions and his sturggles and success he got exactly nowhere

when he finally has a breakdown and is able to embrace another human being in a moment of compassion... turns around and sells it to coca-cola. ha! ha ha ha ha!

how did more money "solve all his problems"? by your own summary above--it clearly didn't

you looked down the scope, aimed, had the target in your sights, then flipped the gun 180 degrees and blew your own head off.

how did you read the show as praise instead of condemnation?

if you missed it altogether, i'd like to refer you to the show's opening credits-- which is the silhouette of a man falling, falling, falling, falling into some endless abyss while he passes by a number of life's luxuries and marks of "success"

THE FALLING IS THE POINT
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.19.2017, 11:46 AM   #21207
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

i did not read it as that. the US audience did. Just like the idiots that have Great Gatsby parties who completely misread the novel as a glorification of wanton excess.
Old 06.19.2017, 11:48 AM   #21208
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

watch the whole intro to Mad Men. the fall bullshit means NOTHING. he "lands" on a fancy couch, chillin, relaxed. come on.
Old 06.19.2017, 11:54 AM   #21209
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
i did not read it as that. the US audience did. Just like the idiots that have Great Gatsby parties who completely misread the novel as a glorification of wanton excess.
well man the audience isn't a single block and there's always gonna be idiots who are going to misread everything from the old testament to tomorrow's news, but i think neither you nor us are such idiots--- so why do we have to make the idiot's point of view the center of our conversation?
Old 06.19.2017, 12:19 PM   #21210
ilduclo
invito al cielo

ilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's asses
I disagree on Sopranos. "Human, all to human", a couple of great story lines, Paulie's Ma in the nursing home, and the one with Bobby Bacalla's dad, who goes out on a blaze of glory. The best TV show ever, IMO

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fu39qrsuBRk
ilduclo is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.19.2017, 01:15 PM   #21211
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by !@#$%!
well man the audience isn't a single block and there's always gonna be idiots who are going to misread everything from the old testament to tomorrow's news, but i think neither you nor us are such idiots--- so why do we have to make the idiot's point of view the center of our conversation?

we don;t, but the idiot's point of view is what shapes what gets made by hollywood, and HOW it is made. you know this.
Old 06.19.2017, 01:17 PM   #21212
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

no way. sopranos had way too many filler episodes to be considered all time greatest. each season, which had very few eps to begin with, had at least 3-4 episodes that were just fucking BORING. I think as a whole it was great, but it was also highly flawed.
Old 06.19.2017, 02:02 PM   #21213
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

Quote:
we don;t, but the idiot's point of view is what shapes what gets made by hollywood, and HOW it is made. you know this.
no way, no. that's a paranoid/conspiracy version. like "the illuminati control everything." i don't buy that vision at all.

the reality is artists have their dreams and tastes, the MANY PUBLICS have their tastes, producers want their money, etc., you shake that in a cocktail shaker and it gets done. it's ultimately a chaotic/random process. the perfect is the enemy of the good.

commercial pressures have always been present in art, and great art still gets made. you mentioned gatsby-- fitzgerald too had to eat. so you have to balance what you reeeeeeeally want to write (e.g., finnegan's wake, which nobody understands) to what the mass public wants to buy (e.g. romance paperbacks).

too many artists are invoved in hollywood for it to be mere brainwash. LA may be a sick town but it's also *stuffed* with talent.

part of the reason good writing migrated to cable TV was because it was cheap to produce and so there is much less risk and you can have "boutique" shows made for smaller audiences, not for mass consumption.

the opposite occurs in film where you need dumb trilogies of everything because it costs so much to make you have to *try* to guarantee massive revenues.

but funny thing-- good writing begets success, and blam, small things become massive (you were just talking about nirvana elsewhere, for example).

educated adults have flocked to sopranos and mad men partly in a way because there are no more godfathers or deer hunters at the movies. ok, we still had no country for old men but those things are rare now. so fargo is on tv too.
Old 06.19.2017, 02:59 PM   #21214
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

"hollywood" is specifically the old money studios that dominate 90% of films distributed in USA and with the deepest pockets to fund the big blockbusters.

I think TV in USA is finally catching up to TV in Europe. Better writing stories for the sake of story and not for commercial tie ins. It is for the best. the old film system required everyone to enjoy films at a theater and all the costs and hassles that come with it.

That mentality is largely changed in USA now (since people watch more shit at home on fancy ass home theaters or just on their computers), but in China, India, Latin America, etc. the filmgoing experience is still very much in play, so Hollywood studio films are created to suit them first, and american tastes second. That is how it seems to me.
Old 06.19.2017, 11:51 PM   #21215
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

Quote:
"hollywood" is specifically the old money studios that dominate 90% of films distributed in USA and with the deepest pockets to fund the big blockbusters.

I think TV in USA is finally catching up to TV in Europe. Better writing stories for the sake of story and not for commercial tie ins. It is for the best. the old film system required everyone to enjoy films at a theater and all the costs and hassles that come with it.

That mentality is largely changed in USA now (since people watch more shit at home on fancy ass home theaters or just on their computers), but in China, India, Latin America, etc. the filmgoing experience is still very much in play, so Hollywood studio films are created to suit them first, and american tastes second. That is how it seems to me.

i think us tv has surpassed europe for a while now. though you realize many productions are international these days. maybe it's more like us tv has absorbed european tv and shot it with steroids and added some great stuff. smart AND fun.

and yes hollywood films are after a global audience now. i forget what movie recently had chinese "inserts" so that i could be successful in china. but yeah it's all about the exports.

who said that america doesn't manufacture things anymore? movies are massive industrial pursuits. MASSIVE.

anyway i wrote a longer version of this later but the browser cacked out. i'll follow up tomorrow...
Old 06.20.2017, 07:51 AM   #21216
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
great summary exept for the "fucking horrible, aimless pointless show."

fucking horrible, aimless, pointless life maybe? sure. but the show? no fucking way.

the whole point of it was precisely that after all his millions and his sturggles and success he got exactly nowhere

when he finally has a breakdown and is able to embrace another human being in a moment of compassion... turns around and sells it to coca-cola. ha! ha ha ha ha!

how did more money "solve all his problems"? by your own summary above--it clearly didn't

you looked down the scope, aimed, had the target in your sights, then flipped the gun 180 degrees and blew your own head off.

how did you read the show as praise instead of condemnation?

if you missed it altogether, i'd like to refer you to the show's opening credits-- which is the silhouette of a man falling, falling, falling, falling into some endless abyss while he passes by a number of life's luxuries and marks of "success"

THE FALLING IS THE POINT

See, eve I get that the falling is the point, and I didn't watch the whole series. People love that show, and plenty probably love it for stupid reasons, but I do not think that the point of the actual show was to glamorize the... err... glamor.
Old 06.20.2017, 07:55 AM   #21217
noisereductions
invito al cielo

noisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's asses

Old 06.20.2017, 08:31 AM   #21218
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
i think us tv has surpassed europe for a while now.

Only if you think of us tv solely in terms of long form dramas.
demonrail666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.20.2017, 08:38 AM   #21219
ilduclo
invito al cielo

ilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's asses
watched Reprise the other night. Trier, I gotta get more of his movies. It was really good. Just added Louder Than Bombs and Oslo, August 31st to the ntflx
ilduclo is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.20.2017, 10:03 AM   #21220
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Mad Men is about America. a loser liar con-artist can make himself rich and powerful over and over again by the power of his bullshit
56196110111051105810591060 1061 106210631064107111111161 > »
-->

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth