Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page Drone music
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 09.18.2006, 10:10 PM   #21
Everyneurotic
invito al cielo

Everyneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickTGH
Boris - Absolutego. None of their other albums are drone, though.

i have one word for you: dronevil
another one: megatone
Everyneurotic is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.19.2006, 12:05 AM   #22
HaydenAsche
invito al cielo

HaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's asses
Dronevil is a fantastic record.
Old 09.19.2006, 03:14 AM   #23
porkmarras
invito al cielo

porkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's asses
Philosopher's Stone.

porkmarras is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.19.2006, 03:27 AM   #24
sonicl
invito al cielo

sonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's asses
Reuber - "Rehig Blut"

"This is one of those albums which goes on forever, but with the pleasant companionship of days passing and the changes of the quality of light and temperature on one side, and the intensity of a nightmare storm battering on the other. The title is German for Keep Cool, and the long slow unwind of electronic tones is certainly chilled out to a specific degree of mellowness - at least at first it is. The circling high pitches of "Ruhig Blut A" take their twenty minutes (one side of the vinyl edition) to swap stereo channels, swooping and diving through the sound picture with tranquil ease as teensy synth pulsations make their entrance and meander in concert with sundry squeaks and gentle sputters. Calmness is acheived. Rhythms are hinted at, pass though almost imperceptible bass phases; calmness never quite fades, just is...

The second side is anything but calm. "Ruhig Blut B" presents the beat of effects units intermeshing on the dubwise Electro-Autobahn, stepping the mood up through several slow gear stages into the hypnotic plasma generated by phase, flange and delay. The sparse electronic progression soon becomes overwhelming while remaining true to the minimalist ideal, churning and writhing along the route. There's a trebly inevitabilty to the gradual transformation on the basic rhythm; mid-range incursions make for a deeper sound, and when the distending groans kick in, listeners would be advised to hang onto their lunch as things begin to get turbulent. Still, underneath it all, the structure remains something to cling on to, and it's defintiely of benefit under what becomes an endurance test; like a rollercoaster but without the need for all that tedious mucking about actually defying gravity - and one with breath-taking gaps and power surges for extra discomfort just when it all seems to get bearable. The closest piece of repetetive electronic churning this intense is probably to be found courtesy of "Tunnel Of Goats" on Coil's gargantuan gut-wrencher Constant Shallowness Leads To Evil, if that gives any idea quite how monolithic the noisescape becomes.

Fortunately for the CD edition, it has a nicely quiet outro, "Schlaf Gut" ("Sleep Well") to calm things down as a bonus track. Everyone else will just have to pick themselves up from the floor immediately in search of tranquilty, or failing that, keep having a nice long lie down to recover."
sonicl is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.19.2006, 07:43 AM   #25
Onani Nic
the end of the ugly

Onani Nic kicks all y'all's assesOnani Nic kicks all y'all's assesOnani Nic kicks all y'all's assesOnani Nic kicks all y'all's assesOnani Nic kicks all y'all's assesOnani Nic kicks all y'all's assesOnani Nic kicks all y'all's assesOnani Nic kicks all y'all's assesOnani Nic kicks all y'all's assesOnani Nic kicks all y'all's assesOnani Nic kicks all y'all's asses
I have no idea where they are from but Starving Weirdos are one of my favourite drone groups.

They have released an album on yellow swans jyrk label as well as well as Australian label sound&fury.
Old 09.19.2006, 08:49 AM   #26
_slavo_
invito al cielo

_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonicl
Reuber - "Rehig Blut"

"This is one of those albums which goes on forever, but with the pleasant companionship of days passing and the changes of the quality of light and temperature on one side, and the intensity of a nightmare storm battering on the other. The title is German for Keep Cool, and the long slow unwind of electronic tones is certainly chilled out to a specific degree of mellowness - at least at first it is. The circling high pitches of "Ruhig Blut A" take their twenty minutes (one side of the vinyl edition) to swap stereo channels, swooping and diving through the sound picture with tranquil ease as teensy synth pulsations make their entrance and meander in concert with sundry squeaks and gentle sputters. Calmness is acheived. Rhythms are hinted at, pass though almost imperceptible bass phases; calmness never quite fades, just is...

The second side is anything but calm. "Ruhig Blut B" presents the beat of effects units intermeshing on the dubwise Electro-Autobahn, stepping the mood up through several slow gear stages into the hypnotic plasma generated by phase, flange and delay. The sparse electronic progression soon becomes overwhelming while remaining true to the minimalist ideal, churning and writhing along the route. There's a trebly inevitabilty to the gradual transformation on the basic rhythm; mid-range incursions make for a deeper sound, and when the distending groans kick in, listeners would be advised to hang onto their lunch as things begin to get turbulent. Still, underneath it all, the structure remains something to cling on to, and it's defintiely of benefit under what becomes an endurance test; like a rollercoaster but without the need for all that tedious mucking about actually defying gravity - and one with breath-taking gaps and power surges for extra discomfort just when it all seems to get bearable. The closest piece of repetetive electronic churning this intense is probably to be found courtesy of "Tunnel Of Goats" on Coil's gargantuan gut-wrencher Constant Shallowness Leads To Evil, if that gives any idea quite how monolithic the noisescape becomes.

Fortunately for the CD edition, it has a nicely quiet outro, "Schlaf Gut" ("Sleep Well") to calm things down as a bonus track. Everyone else will just have to pick themselves up from the floor immediately in search of tranquilty, or failing that, keep having a nice long lie down to recover."

Just to be a bitch,
it's called "Ruhig Blut"
which means "calm blood"

you're the boy

that can enjoy
invisibility
_slavo_ is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.19.2006, 09:13 AM   #27
whorefrost
invito al cielo

whorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onani Nic
I have no idea where they are from but Starving Weirdos are one of my favourite drone groups.

They have released an album on yellow swans jyrk label as well as well as Australian label sound&fury.

ah, been meaning to check out their shit... thanx for reminding me...
Old 09.19.2006, 10:16 AM   #28
Fox
the destroyed room

Fox kicks all y'all's assesFox kicks all y'all's assesFox kicks all y'all's assesFox kicks all y'all's assesFox kicks all y'all's assesFox kicks all y'all's assesFox kicks all y'all's assesFox kicks all y'all's assesFox kicks all y'all's assesFox kicks all y'all's assesFox kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Everyneurotic
lovesliescrushing is the most boring band i've ever heard in my life, it's just some old casio keyboard sitting on one chord for 10 minutes. it's awful.
No they're not. I agree there's some bad things in their music but there are also a lot of great elements and tracks

Noisejob
Fox is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.19.2006, 10:38 AM   #29
Savage Clone
invito al cielo

Savage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's asses
I always heard loveliescrushing as sounding like more of a Flying Saucer Attack/MBV type of affair. They made at least one record that I enjoyed quite a lot.
Savage Clone is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.19.2006, 10:42 AM   #30
_slavo_
invito al cielo

_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses
FSA was okay, they kind of first introduced me the idea of hometaping and not fucking with sound quality too much.

you're the boy

that can enjoy
invisibility
_slavo_ is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.19.2006, 01:31 PM   #31
Thomas Moronic
bad moon rising

Thomas Moronic kicks all y'all's assesThomas Moronic kicks all y'all's assesThomas Moronic kicks all y'all's assesThomas Moronic kicks all y'all's assesThomas Moronic kicks all y'all's assesThomas Moronic kicks all y'all's assesThomas Moronic kicks all y'all's assesThomas Moronic kicks all y'all's assesThomas Moronic kicks all y'all's assesThomas Moronic kicks all y'all's assesThomas Moronic kicks all y'all's asses
I'm guessing a fair few people have already mentioned these - but I'm too tired to read all the other posts (awful, I know!), but:
Phill Niblock
LaMonte Young (those two were big pioneers in drone)
Earth (Dylan Carlson is a genius. Most people seem to prefer Earth 2, but personally I rate Broken Sunn Amps and Smashed Guitars, especially the first track).

For more Sonic Youth orientated stuff try:
Lee Ranaldo's 'Amarillo Ramp' for Robert Smithson album - the title track is 30 minutes of beautiful noise.
Also, Jim O'Rourke has a few good ones - mostly recently you should check out Mizu No Nai Umi on the Headz label. That's pretty special.
Thomas Moronic is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.19.2006, 03:05 PM   #32
Пятхъдесят Шест
invito al cielo

Пятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by hat and beard
Keiji Haino - Reveal'd To None As Yet
No Neck Blues Band - Letters From The Earth
Avarus - Jattilaisrotta
Toho Sara - Hourouurin
Acid Mothers Temple - 41st Century Splendid Man

All of those make my head feel like its about explode at times. This is a good thing, by the way.
Пятхъдесят Шест is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.19.2006, 04:52 PM   #33
Toilet & Bowels
invito al cielo

Toilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nefeli
which amacher you have and/or suggest?

sound characters
Toilet & Bowels is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.20.2006, 08:29 AM   #34
Alex's Trip
invito al cielo

Alex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's asses
Where do you guys find this stuff? I can't find any of it anywhere, not in record stores, not on myspace, or on limewire...
Old 09.20.2006, 08:49 AM   #35
porkmarras
invito al cielo

porkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's asses
Mp3 blogs are a goldmine for this sort of music.

porkmarras is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.20.2006, 09:13 AM   #36
hat and beard
stalker

hat and beard kicks all y'all's asseshat and beard kicks all y'all's asseshat and beard kicks all y'all's asseshat and beard kicks all y'all's asseshat and beard kicks all y'all's asseshat and beard kicks all y'all's asseshat and beard kicks all y'all's asseshat and beard kicks all y'all's asseshat and beard kicks all y'all's asseshat and beard kicks all y'all's asseshat and beard kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Пятхъдесят Шест
All of those make my head feel like its about explode
the very definition of good music.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex's Trip
Where do you guys find this stuff? I can't find any of it anywhere, not in record stores, not on myspace, or on limewire...

http://www.aquariusrecords.org
http://www.forcedexposure.com
Old 09.20.2006, 09:15 AM   #37
Everyneurotic
invito al cielo

Everyneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's asses
yes on myspace, look hard, there's lot's of stuff labeled "ambient" that are really drone.
Old 09.20.2006, 09:16 AM   #38
Everyneurotic
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nefeli
and thank you.

(was positive there was a such thread done here before. wanted to link it, sorry havent found it yet).

it was on the old board.
Old 09.20.2006, 11:12 AM   #39
Signpost
stalker

Signpost kicks all y'all's assesSignpost kicks all y'all's assesSignpost kicks all y'all's assesSignpost kicks all y'all's assesSignpost kicks all y'all's assesSignpost kicks all y'all's assesSignpost kicks all y'all's assesSignpost kicks all y'all's assesSignpost kicks all y'all's assesSignpost kicks all y'all's assesSignpost kicks all y'all's asses
Some drone records that blew my mind recently:
Pelt - Ayahuasca
Starving Weirdos - s/t
Khanate - Capture & Release
Sunroof! - Silver Bear Mist
Old 09.20.2006, 12:31 PM   #40
jon boy
invito al cielo

jon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by _slavo_
Hey,
I've become a huge fan of drone stuff in the likes of Birchville Cat Motel, Sunroof! etc. Can you by chance recommend me any other projects that are worth checking out?
thanks pals
Slavo

i think most of the bases have been covered here.

|@ <------- Euphoric brain cell just moments before expiration
V

_ \ / _
PING <-------- moments later
/ \

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_ljhxq...isruo1_500.gif

jon boy is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth