Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page Who the fuck is Billie Eilish, anyway?
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 02.07.2020, 10:27 AM   #21
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
no one said she was deep. she is literally singing about underage fucking with someone who likes it rough. it sucked when Britney did it too.
“literally”. is the song documentary or fiction?

does stephen king go around his town decapitating people? (or however is it people die in his novels).

and did thurston kill the california girls?
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.07.2020, 10:46 AM   #22
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
literally singing about. not metaphorcally singing about

lets fuck all night
as opposed to
let's rock n roll all night
Old 02.07.2020, 10:51 AM   #23
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
literally singing about. not metaphorcally singing about

lets fuck all night
as opposed to
let's rock n roll all night
but rocknroll means fucking.

so you’re complaining that the lyrics are too explicit?

they created a label for that... concerned parents league something something? tipper gore?

-

looking at the song in my music app there’s no E on it so it skirts the censors

i guess it’s not as literal as you read it.

there’s a line “i’ll be your animal” in that song. but iggy was funnier. no E either.
Old 02.07.2020, 01:16 PM   #24
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
A couple of the songs aren't bad at all. Probably better than they even need to be, given that she seems very image-based.
demonrail666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.07.2020, 03:19 PM   #25
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by !@#$%!
but rocknroll means fucking.

I don't like children singing songs about adult subjects. never have. I don;t like it when adults sing songs about fucking girls that just turned "sweet sixteen" either.

all her shit is written by her older brother, BTW.

White shirt now red, my bloody nose
Sleeping, you're on your tippy toes
Creeping around like no one knows
Think you're so criminal
Bruises, on both my knees for you (what you think this means?)
Don't say thank you or please
I do what I want when I'm wanting to
My soul? So cynical
So you're a tough guy
Like it really rough guy
Just can't get enough guy
Chest always so puffed guy
I'm that bad type
Make your mama sad type
Make your girlfriend mad tight
Might seduce your dad type (again. sung by a 16/17 year old and you are cool with that?)
I'm the bad guy, duh
I'm the bad guy
I like it when you take control
Even if you know that you don't
Own me, I'll let you play the role
I'll be your animal
My mommy likes to sing along with me
But she won't sing this song (nice, infantilization in the midst of hypersexuality, and I wonder why the 60+ year old pedos in the recording academy gave her grammys?)
If she reads all the lyrics
She'll pity the men I know
So you're a tough guy
Like it really rough guy…
Old 02.07.2020, 05:46 PM   #26
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

seriously rob? you think we need translation?

didnt i already say iggy was funnier?

so your problem is with a teenager (not a “child”, lest we eventually push the age of majority to 40) engaging in sexual poetics.

i see no children nor literal fucking, so i’m trying to clarify the problem here. by clarify, i mean to define it accurately rather than through hyperbole. “literally fucking” is not happening here.

you have a problem with a teenager engaging in sexual poetics though.

ok. i can see how you may object to that. i did a search and a lot of christian concerned parents are warning their children about billie eilish. one gets into “satanism”. everyone has their peeves.

also, it’s not “pedophiles” who propelled her to fame— it’s tweens.
Old 02.07.2020, 08:25 PM   #27
Genteel Death
invito al cielo

Genteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's asses
I could totally vape to this.
Genteel Death is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.07.2020, 08:37 PM   #28
The Soup Nazi
invito al cielo

The Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by radarmaker
"ok boomer" personified

I obviously know "who she is" in terms of cold data - it takes a couple of clicks these days. What I meant is what the fuck is up with the hype, is it just a pose like most everyone else (and I'm including critically acclaimed "indie" acts), thoughts about meaning/manufacturing. Some of the people who replied to this thread (Severian, especially) did that; you just went for an empty cheap shot.

GADJI BERI BIMBA GLANDRIDI LAULI LONNI CADORI GADJAM A BIM BERI GLASSALA GLANDRIDI E GLASSALA TUFFM I ZIMBRA

The Soup Nazi is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.07.2020, 08:40 PM   #29
The Soup Nazi
invito al cielo

The Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Genteel Death
I could totally vape to this.

Yup, riding an e-scooter, in skinny jeans, with a Starbucks cup in the other hand. Wait - do kids still go to Starbucks?

GADJI BERI BIMBA GLANDRIDI LAULI LONNI CADORI GADJAM A BIM BERI GLASSALA GLANDRIDI E GLASSALA TUFFM I ZIMBRA

Old 02.07.2020, 08:47 PM   #30
choc e-Claire
expwy. to yr skull

choc e-Claire kicks all y'all's asseschoc e-Claire kicks all y'all's asseschoc e-Claire kicks all y'all's asseschoc e-Claire kicks all y'all's asseschoc e-Claire kicks all y'all's asseschoc e-Claire kicks all y'all's asseschoc e-Claire kicks all y'all's asseschoc e-Claire kicks all y'all's asseschoc e-Claire kicks all y'all's asseschoc e-Claire kicks all y'all's asseschoc e-Claire kicks all y'all's asses
@Soup: if you don't want people taking cheap shots at you, don't make it so easy.

@Rob: have you ever met a teenager? The difference between Eilish and other people her age is visibility.
Making myself up as I go along. Check out my music-themed blog, 79:57.
choc e-Claire is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.08.2020, 01:17 PM   #31
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
no one said she was deep. she is literally singing about underage fucking with someone who likes it rough. it sucked when Britney did it too.

That’s not what “it’s not that deep bro” means.

What it means is that the whole thing you’re mad about isn’t as important or as worthy of your anger as you’re making it out to be.

I mean, I don’t really get what’s so appalling here.
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.08.2020, 03:09 PM   #32
radarmaker
the end of the ugly

radarmaker kicks all y'all's assesradarmaker kicks all y'all's assesradarmaker kicks all y'all's assesradarmaker kicks all y'all's assesradarmaker kicks all y'all's assesradarmaker kicks all y'all's assesradarmaker kicks all y'all's assesradarmaker kicks all y'all's assesradarmaker kicks all y'all's assesradarmaker kicks all y'all's assesradarmaker kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Soup Nazi
Some of the people who replied to this thread (Severian, especially) did that; you just went for an empty cheap shot.

For the record, I think she's great and intended no slight by that. OK boomer is a fucking perfect response from Gen Z to the insufferable bullshit they're fed and have inherited from their elders, something that Billy Eilish is also perfectly capable of expressing with one withering look. Kids dig the tunes too, more power to them & her.
radarmaker is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.08.2020, 09:43 PM   #33
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
For the record, I think she's great and intended no slight by that. OK boomer is a fucking perfect response from Gen Z to the insufferable bullshit they're fed and have inherited from their elders, something that Billy Eilish is also perfectly capable of expressing with one withering look. Kids dig the tunes too, more power to them & her.

I do hate that “OK boomer” shit though... which I guess makes me a “boomer” despite being like three generations removed from the Baby Boomers. Lmao
Old 02.08.2020, 10:14 PM   #34
The Soup Nazi
invito al cielo

Quote:
[...] something that Billy Eilish is also perfectly capable of expressing with one withering look. [...]

Whoa, you're giving her a huge and radical cultural significance at a time when she's just this year's flavor.

"For the record", I also think Madonna had a couple of decent singles in the '80s and the rest of her discography is unacceptable.

Old 02.08.2020, 10:47 PM   #35
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

Old 02.09.2020, 09:14 AM   #36
Severian
invito al cielo

Old dudes arguing over whether or not she deserves to be famous or whatever is kinda something that makes me more likely to accept her. Haha.

I mean, seriously, what has she done that’s so bad? Or bad at all? Sing about sex? We listen to Anal Cunt for fuck’s sake. Sing about sex too young? Man, she’s 18 — who among us was “too young” for sex at 18?

I’m not saying I’m a fan, but life’s too short to hate music like this for these reasons. It’s very much not for us, so our opinion doesn’t really matter. To loathe her or question her suitability to sing about what she sings about is actually some pretty patriarchal shit.

again, good for her for making her way in this weird world. She’s not for me, and I don’t love the music and I don’t love the shit she takes from various communities (see her recent comments about hip-hop and how much gross ire that’s drawn from old gatekeeper fucks online), but I see no point in being mad at the kid.

Also, love her or hate her, watch those Vanity Fair interviews. As I said, they’re quite compelling, and more than a little bit sad — watching her navigate this whole thing. Each one’s pretty short, but she seems fairly authentic to me, and more like a normal kid than anything else.

(Shrug)
Old 02.09.2020, 11:05 PM   #37
Bytor Peltor
Banned

Bytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's asses
She just covered: The Beatles - Yesterday, on The Oscars in memoriam.

Large Mirror Brought Out Onto Oscars Stage Gets Resounding 6-Minute Standing Ovation
Bytor Peltor is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.10.2020, 01:27 PM   #38
Bytor Peltor
Banned

Bytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's asses
SPACES: Inside the Tiny Bedroom Where FINNEAS and Billie Eilish Are Redefining Pop Music
Bytor Peltor is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.10.2020, 03:50 PM   #39
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Severian

I mean, seriously, what has she done that’s so bad? Or bad at all? Sing about sex? We listen to Anal Cunt for fuck’s sake. Sing about sex too young? Man, she’s 18 — who among us was “too young” for sex at 18?

)

my concern was that she was singing songs she published at age 16. she just turned 18. her bro wrote the songs. he seems like a creep.
Old 02.10.2020, 06:50 PM   #40
LifeDistortion
expwy. to yr skull

LifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's asses
She probably grew up watching and listening to Britney Spears singing songs like I'm not that innocent or listening to Garbage or something, so if you're 12-13 years old and you're listening to those kind of songs and you're influenced by that as a writer, that's going to be reflective in the songs. And even if the songs were written at 16, or 14, you didn't hear them until this year give or take a few months, so what does it matter? How old was Maddona when she wrote Like A Virgin?
LifeDistortion is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth