Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page Is Trump really a serious contender for the Republican nomination?
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 07.06.2018, 11:58 PM   #4141
Skuj
invito al cielo

Skuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's asses
Can somebody please explain something to me?

Even if Elizabeth Warren had falsely claimed Native American (that's how we say it in Canada, not "Indian" like Trump does) heritage for some devious purpose (which I don't believe, but, humor me anyway), how does that justify Trump calling her Pocahontas?

(I cannot fucking believe that he keeps saying that at gatherings, and people think it is funny.)
Old 07.07.2018, 12:01 AM   #4142
Skuj
invito al cielo

Skuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Soup Nazi
Probably THE most fucked up thing this motherfucking administration has done so far.

Everything Trump has done on immigration, from the Muslim Ban (call it what is is!), to the wall, to this, is Keystone Cops.
Old 07.07.2018, 12:07 AM   #4143
Skuj
invito al cielo

So, it seems that Manafort's crimes do have a Trump connection?

No way!! You don't say!!
Old 07.07.2018, 12:24 AM   #4144
Skuj
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilduclo
6/26/18:
HHS Secretary Alex Azar claimed migrant parents who have been separated from their kids under the Trump administration’s “zero tolerance” border policy should be able to easily locate their children, countering reports about difficulties families have faced.

“There is no reason why any parent would not know where their child is located,” Azar testified at a Senate Finance Committee hearing this morning. Azar said he could locate “any child” in his department’s care “within secondsthrough an online government database.

7/5/18:
the Department of Health and Human Services (Alex Azar) told reporters it doesn’t know exactly how many of the children in its care were separated from parents. There are thousands of case files that indicate a child might have been separated from their parents. He was unwilling to give a specific number but said there were “fewer than 3,000” such children.

Records linking parents to their children “have disappeared” or have been “destroyed,” making positive identifications between children and family an uphill battle. HHS also sent out an email looking for volunteers to help scan through about 12,000 children’s records to determine which children were separated from their parents by the U.S. government and who arrived unaccompanied. “Everyone here is now participating in this process, including the Secretary who personally stayed until past midnight to assist,” the email read. It was previously reported that the agencies would now rely on DNA testing to match parents with children in the reunification process.

Sometimes I wonder if it is this fiasco that will finally sink Trump, but then, I remind myself that a couple of Trumpy co-workers say "Well, why did they come in illegally then? It's their fault." And I wonder if his whole "base" feels that way too.
Old 07.07.2018, 09:42 AM   #4145
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
How can you guys bear to come back to this thread from a time BEFORE, which now feels like a distant fucking fantasy that may or may not be based on reality.

I tried. I love my life in a state of perpetual vigilance, and I speak out to the extent that my job allows and make donations to various causes. But the more time passes the more my capacity for discussing this living horrorshow diminishes. Someone shot up a goddamn newsroom in an itty bitty town Maryland town last week, and goddammit, our commander-in-chief stoked the flames of violence against the Fourth Estate shamelessly. Took no responsibility when his message was pushed to its logical extreme.

I can’t stand to revisit this thread, and I have a hard time seeing how it stays so popular. Maybe I’m just winded, feeling beaten and busted up. I don’t know.

But as an American, I’m finding it harder and harder to talk about the monster who occupies the White House.
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.07.2018, 10:34 AM   #4146
Skuj
invito al cielo

It's good to talk about it. "Popular" might be the wrong word. I don't even fucking live in America, but this horror show affects the world.
Old 07.07.2018, 10:57 AM   #4147
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skuj
It's good to talk about it. "Popular" might be the wrong word. I don't even fucking live in America, but this horror show affects the world.

Ah. See, I was wondering about that. Not living in America would make it a bit easier to digest, I imagine. For Americans, particularly minorities, we’ve entered into a new age where formerly taboo things like racism, sexism and senseless violence are once again in fashion. You’ve got to watch your neighbors to an extent, because a cult of personality has emboldened them to wear their previously suppressed (or at least saved for family dinner) attitudes on their sleeves.

There are places where it isn’t like this, of course — the east and west coasts are generally less likely to embrace mob 1950s mentalities than the Midwest or the Bible Belt — but it’s like a cancer that was in remission has kicked into full malignancy, and is spreading.

Maybe it’s just goddamn time for this country to squirm again. It’s obviously much worse in Israel, and in Turkey, but it feels like whenever things get too obscene to be real, and you find yourself thinking, “I knew it was going to be bad, but THIS BAD?” you find your definition of “bad” is still pretty goddamn malleable, and it could get so much worse.
Old 07.07.2018, 11:05 AM   #4148
Severian
invito al cielo

This happened the other day:

Millions of people watch and listen to this asshole, and think what he says is “news.” So not only is it scary that this freak exists and does stuff like this on nationally syndicated TV and radio, but it’s downright fucking terrifying that people listen, and some do so without irony.
Old 07.07.2018, 12:30 PM   #4149
Skuj
invito al cielo

I have to say it is actually worse than I (and most of us, I suspect) imagined. Many of us thought that Trump would surround himself with some very smart/worldly people, and grow into the job somewhat. "Trump's Picks" could be a horror show. And he seems to have regressed further than even the campaign era.

I don't read tesla anymore, but I imagine he will defend that Alex Jones thing. In many ways having tesla as a regular "contributor" to this thread shows the reality of our times. Millions of Americans think Mueller is a bad guy. What the fuck is going to happen when that investigation wraps up? I'm dreading it. And the Demonizer In Chief will have much to be responsible for.
Old 07.07.2018, 02:21 PM   #4150
ilduclo
invito al cielo

ilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's asses
I'm very into local and state politics. I stay aware of the national stuff even though there isn't much I can do to change it. I really wish we were in the ascendancy now, but I don't mind being a minority party when I know who's right and who's wrong. If you look at the great arc of history, their side is on the losing end more often than not, or otherwise we'd still be kneeling in the mud as the masters passed by (that's a quote from my direct ancestor). Give a read to Germinal if you want a good idea as to how things were for the majority of the "civilized world" around 100 years ago...
ilduclo is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.07.2018, 03:59 PM   #4151
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilduclo
I'm very into local and state politics. I stay aware of the national stuff even though there isn't much I can do to change it. I really wish we were in the ascendancy now, but I don't mind being a minority party when I know who's right and who's wrong. If you look at the great arc of history, their side is on the losing end more often than not, or otherwise we'd still be kneeling in the mud as the masters passed by (that's a quote from my direct ancestor). Give a read to Germinal if you want a good idea as to how things were for the majority of the "civilized world" around 100 years ago...

We’ve had like twice as many republican presidents as democratic presidents, but maybe you’re taking more big picture stuff?

Anyway, I very much mind. And I’m not sure this is really contiguous with “history” unless you’re speaking at a level so macro that it will only bounce back in ways we won’t be able to measure or witness because we’ll be long dead?
Old 07.07.2018, 04:13 PM   #4152
Skuj
invito al cielo

One thing I hope most people realize now: FUCKING VOTE.
Old 07.07.2018, 05:05 PM   #4153
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skuj
One thing I hope most people realize now: FUCKING VOTE.

LOLZ
Old 07.07.2018, 08:39 PM   #4154
tw2113
expwy. to yr skull

tw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's asses
Voting is how we got the asshats we have now.
Old 07.08.2018, 01:26 AM   #4155
Skuj
invito al cielo

Dems fuckin stayed home in droves. I know I know....Clinton didn't excite them enough......she was going to win anyway......etc etc.

And here we are.
Old 07.08.2018, 06:12 AM   #4156
evollove
invito al cielo

evollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's asses
Lol

Having this debate now.

"We need to register people to vote."

Me: "No. We need to register people who will vote Dem, and we need to make sure Dems go to the polls."

There's a difference.
evollove is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.08.2018, 08:17 AM   #4157
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by evollove
Lol

Having this debate now.

"We need to register people to vote."

Me: "No. We need to register people who will vote Dem, and we need to make sure Dems go to the polls."

There's a difference.
yesbut (lolsorry)

dems being a big tent will never toe one party line

so many factions—and the left tends to be less disciplined than the right. factions & factions.

e.g. berniebros rejecting hilaria (idjits)

also, swing voters swing: many who voted for obama switched to trump

it’s a tricky business but where im driving at is dems need a compelling message too from the top not just grassroots work.

“i’m not him” was not sufficient and might not be sufficient again (and enough with the popular vote disclaimers, that means zero).

what is required is also an appeal to enlightened self-interest... maybe. something. i really don’t know.

but also: better tactics.

things are still up in the air but keep up the good work.
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.08.2018, 09:45 AM   #4158
ilduclo
invito al cielo

ilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by tw2113
Voting is how we got the asshats we have now.

Nope
Old 07.08.2018, 09:52 AM   #4159
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by !@#$%!
yesbut (lolsorry)

dems being a big tent will never toe one party line

so many factions—and the left tends to be less disciplined than the right. factions & factions.

e.g. berniebros rejecting hilaria (idjits)

also, swing voters swing: many who voted for obama switched to trump

it’s a tricky business but where im driving at is dems need a compelling message too from the top not just grassroots work.

“i’m not him” was not sufficient and might not be sufficient again (and enough with the popular vote disclaimers, that means zero).

what is required is also an appeal to enlightened self-interest... maybe. something. i really don’t know.

but also: better tactics.

things are still up in the air but keep up the good work.

Ok, love you Slambang, but this is the very discussion we were having two years ago. Just sayin’. Personally, I can’t take this whole thing... again... fucking blimey.

I think Skuj was specifically talking about/to SFAD, who — if y’all recall — wasn’t gonna vote, thinking somehow that not giving into the system is the answer to the problem. And it probably is in the loooooooong run, but that’s not how you address an impending flicking threat. When you’re faced with a decision between a walking horrorshow championing unapologetic aggression toward the fundamentals of democracy and a smarty pants who’s kind of a bitch... you fucking choose the qualified person who’s kind of a bitch, and you SHUT THE FUCK UP AND PRAY.

Yes, Dems are horrifically disorganized. They have weak campaigns and weak messages that almost exclusicely play into the Trump narrative, so yet again we’re faced with a “We’re not Trump, vote for me because DUH DON’T VOTE FOR THEM” kind of thing and it’s not looking promising from where I’m sitting.

Sounds crazy and premature, but the Dems need firepower. They need an Obama. They need an ambitious, partially-qualified powerhouse to speak to the people of this country who only have rage and hatred toward Trump and his party, and don’t have a clear idea of what they want that is not a reaction to Trump. They need to have their rage addressed, but they also need guidance and someone to throw up a torch for them and be pro-something instead of just anti-Trump.

From my perspective, that’s what congressional and legislative distrtics need, that’s what the nation as a whole needs. An alternate message that makes sense and points to a clear path forward. More than just “Trump = bad!”

Minority wouldn’t hurt, but in this climate would probably get assassinated before making any real headway. Probably a white man, but... I dunno, maybe a young one? Shit.
Old 07.08.2018, 12:17 PM   #4160
ilduclo
invito al cielo

http://www.registerguard.com/opinion...nd-usurpations

"Only when that party of enablers of tyranny, cruelty, immorality and ignorance is defeated can a new, and loyal party be resurrected to credibly represent conservative ideas and values which many of us hold dear."
158198205206207 208 209210211218258308 > »
-->

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth