Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page best bowie album?
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 10.18.2008, 12:36 PM   #41
[Sandbag]
100%

[Sandbag] kicks all y'all's asses[Sandbag] kicks all y'all's asses[Sandbag] kicks all y'all's asses[Sandbag] kicks all y'all's asses[Sandbag] kicks all y'all's asses[Sandbag] kicks all y'all's asses[Sandbag] kicks all y'all's asses[Sandbag] kicks all y'all's asses[Sandbag] kicks all y'all's asses[Sandbag] kicks all y'all's asses[Sandbag] kicks all y'all's asses
sure man
but i cant be arsed. i just posted this thread, if people replies, good. that just means they're interested, otherwise they woulnd't i guess.

peace
[Sandbag] is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.18.2008, 12:37 PM   #42
[Sandbag]
100%

[Sandbag] kicks all y'all's asses[Sandbag] kicks all y'all's asses[Sandbag] kicks all y'all's asses[Sandbag] kicks all y'all's asses[Sandbag] kicks all y'all's asses[Sandbag] kicks all y'all's asses[Sandbag] kicks all y'all's asses[Sandbag] kicks all y'all's asses[Sandbag] kicks all y'all's asses[Sandbag] kicks all y'all's asses[Sandbag] kicks all y'all's asses
nah i did a Forum Search, just not an advanced one..

anyway
thanks for the replies and stuff, just wanted to know yr opinion.
[Sandbag] is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.18.2008, 03:07 PM   #43
atari 2600
invito al cielo

atari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's asses
i had to search for "beeb"
atari 2600 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.18.2008, 03:17 PM   #44
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
Brains degenerating into a "Flowers for Algernon"-like state.

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.18.2008, 03:48 PM   #45
sarramkrop

Has anyone noticed how ''Speed Of Life'' is almost a wholesale rip off of Mort Garson's ''Up The Strip''? Maybe he didn't even known him - who knows - but it's scarily similar-sounding.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.18.2008, 03:50 PM   #46
sarramkrop

Quote:
Originally Posted by mangajunky

Aladdin Sane (Time, Cracked Actor, I'm totally in love with the dissonant piano throughout)

???? Do you mean on the title track?
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.18.2008, 05:05 PM   #47
SpectralJulianIsNotDead
invito al cielo

SpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's asses
Am I the only Diamond Dogs fan here? It's seriously one of my top 5 albums of all time.

This Ain't Rock 'n Roll, this is genocide!

opens with a standard Bowie type tune that is really rocking, goes into the awesome musical passage sweet thing- candidate- reprise then out of the noise of the end of Sweet Thing (reprise) comes the Rebel, Rebel riff, which IMO is one of the greatest riffs of all time.

Then on the 2nd side you've got the sweetly romantic "When You Rock and Roll With Me" followed by "We Are the Dead" with its super long chorus that Bowie sings without so much as stopping for a breath. Then it follows that up with the super dancey "1984" and ends with the mellotron choire infused "Big Brother" and the experimental "Chant of the Ever Circling Skeletal Family."

Totally an album that does not get enough credit. It has a little bit of everything Bowie wise. It fits in just as well with his early 70's work as it does with his late 70's work.
SpectralJulianIsNotDead is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.18.2008, 05:39 PM   #48
Torn Curtain
invito al cielo

Torn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's asses
Hunky Dory.

As much as I like Bowie I think there's always dispensable tracks on his records though.
Old 10.18.2008, 05:48 PM   #49
RdTv
invito al cielo

RdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's asses
Man Who Sold The World
Man of Words Man Of Music (re-released as Space Oddity)
Ziggy
Hunky Dory
Low
RdTv is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.18.2008, 06:30 PM   #50
toxic johnny
expwy. to yr skull

toxic johnny kicks all y'all's assestoxic johnny kicks all y'all's assestoxic johnny kicks all y'all's assestoxic johnny kicks all y'all's assestoxic johnny kicks all y'all's assestoxic johnny kicks all y'all's assestoxic johnny kicks all y'all's assestoxic johnny kicks all y'all's assestoxic johnny kicks all y'all's assestoxic johnny kicks all y'all's assestoxic johnny kicks all y'all's asses
I'm a Ziggy child born and bred... I also go for a little bit of Low.

toxic johnny is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.18.2008, 06:57 PM   #51
Decayed Rhapsody
the destroyed room

Decayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's assesDecayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's assesDecayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's assesDecayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's assesDecayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's assesDecayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's assesDecayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's assesDecayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's assesDecayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's assesDecayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's assesDecayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectralJulianIsNotDead
Am I the only Diamond Dogs fan here? It's seriously one of my top 5 albums of all time.

You're definitely not alone. Sweet Thing is one of the greatest things he's done, and it was even better live (although both of his live albums are pretty shitty, the Nassau Colesium '76 bootleg should be released - the STS tour was the heaviest of his the 70's imo, harder than the early days in many places due to Stacey Heydon's presence, and he was horrifying with all the coke fascism).

I enjoy the fact that most of the lyrics on DD were done by cut-up. Bowie's amateur sort of guitar style that he uses on the album is very proto-punk.
Decayed Rhapsody is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.19.2008, 06:51 AM   #52
Lamont Cranston
100%

Lamont Cranston kicks all y'all's assesLamont Cranston kicks all y'all's assesLamont Cranston kicks all y'all's assesLamont Cranston kicks all y'all's assesLamont Cranston kicks all y'all's assesLamont Cranston kicks all y'all's assesLamont Cranston kicks all y'all's assesLamont Cranston kicks all y'all's assesLamont Cranston kicks all y'all's assesLamont Cranston kicks all y'all's assesLamont Cranston kicks all y'all's asses
Heros and Lodger have Fripp & Eno, so its an easy choice for me.
Old 10.19.2008, 07:05 AM   #53
shentov
expwy. to yr skull

shentov kicks all y'all's assesshentov kicks all y'all's assesshentov kicks all y'all's assesshentov kicks all y'all's assesshentov kicks all y'all's assesshentov kicks all y'all's assesshentov kicks all y'all's assesshentov kicks all y'all's assesshentov kicks all y'all's assesshentov kicks all y'all's assesshentov kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toilet & Bowels
fuck david bowie!

Old 10.19.2008, 09:36 AM   #54
chairman of the bored
the destroyed room

chairman of the bored cold hard suckachairman of the bored cold hard suckachairman of the bored cold hard suckachairman of the bored cold hard suckachairman of the bored cold hard suckachairman of the bored cold hard suckachairman of the bored cold hard suckachairman of the bored cold hard suckachairman of the bored cold hard suckachairman of the bored cold hard suckachairman of the bored cold hard sucka
i saw this thing on vh1 last night about david bowie getting a lollypop stuck in his eyeball during a performance a couple years ago
Old 10.19.2008, 01:34 PM   #55
acousticrock87
invito al cielo

acousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's asses
Diamond Dogs, Aladdin Sane, and Low. The order changes. Usually whichever I listened to most recently is the best. I haven't really heard most of his post Scary Monsters/Let's Dance stuff, but I doubt it even counts.
acousticrock87 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.20.2008, 12:35 AM   #56
akprodr
the end of the ugly

akprodr kicks all y'all's assesakprodr kicks all y'all's assesakprodr kicks all y'all's assesakprodr kicks all y'all's assesakprodr kicks all y'all's assesakprodr kicks all y'all's assesakprodr kicks all y'all's assesakprodr kicks all y'all's assesakprodr kicks all y'all's assesakprodr kicks all y'all's assesakprodr kicks all y'all's asses
After much consideration, I gotta go with Scary Monsters. It was my first Bowie album. Its got Fripp, its got mellotron, its even got Pete Townsend. I love the production. I really like the mix of arty wierdness and commerciality.

Scoff as you will, but back in the day I was surgerically attached to MTV because of people like Mr. Bowie. That's a big reason I like the album too.

Funny, I didn't think I liked Low that much but re-listening, it is pretty darn good. Lodger doesn't hold up as much as I'd like it to.

And the later blantently commercial stuff is still good. I can listen to Blue Jean all day long (well, maybe that's a little exageration). Earthling isn't half bad either.
akprodr is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.20.2008, 12:46 AM   #57
Dead-Air
invito al cielo

Dead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:

No, I love Diamond Dogs. It's probably tied with The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders from Mars as my 2nd favorite after Low, and those two are really close to #1 anyway. I go through fazes where I listen to Diamond Dogs over and over, then I don't listen to it again for a few weeks or months. I should probably be in one of those fazes now, seeing as a big election is at hand.

Good Alastair Reynolds novella based on the title too.
Dead-Air is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.22.2008, 01:25 AM   #58
Kallisti23chaos
children of satan

Kallisti23chaos kicks all y'all's assesKallisti23chaos kicks all y'all's assesKallisti23chaos kicks all y'all's assesKallisti23chaos kicks all y'all's assesKallisti23chaos kicks all y'all's assesKallisti23chaos kicks all y'all's assesKallisti23chaos kicks all y'all's assesKallisti23chaos kicks all y'all's assesKallisti23chaos kicks all y'all's assesKallisti23chaos kicks all y'all's assesKallisti23chaos kicks all y'all's asses
my fav is hunky dory
Old 10.22.2008, 01:29 AM   #59
SpectralJulianIsNotDead
invito al cielo

SpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Decayed Rhapsody
You're definitely not alone. Sweet Thing is one of the greatest things he's done, and it was even better live (although both of his live albums are pretty shitty, the Nassau Colesium '76 bootleg should be released - the STS tour was the heaviest of his the 70's imo, harder than the early days in many places due to Stacey Heydon's presence, and he was horrifying with all the coke fascism).

I enjoy the fact that most of the lyrics on DD were done by cut-up. Bowie's amateur sort of guitar style that he uses on the album is very proto-punk.

I've always considered that album Bowie's most punk rock album.
SpectralJulianIsNotDead is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.23.2008, 05:24 PM   #60
ScreamingSchool
little trouble girl

ScreamingSchool kicks all y'all's assesScreamingSchool kicks all y'all's assesScreamingSchool kicks all y'all's assesScreamingSchool kicks all y'all's assesScreamingSchool kicks all y'all's assesScreamingSchool kicks all y'all's assesScreamingSchool kicks all y'all's assesScreamingSchool kicks all y'all's assesScreamingSchool kicks all y'all's assesScreamingSchool kicks all y'all's assesScreamingSchool kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:

This Ain't Rock 'n Roll, this is genocide!

Totally an album that does not get enough credit. It has a little bit of everything Bowie wise. It fits in just as well with his early 70's work as it does with his late 70's work.

I'm totally with you on Diamond Dogs. You might have to lean into it a little, but once you find it, the groove is very rewarding. "If you want it, boys, get it here thing..." and then of course you've got Rebel Rebel on that disc. It doesnt spoon feed the hooks to you, but It deserves more listens by the nonbelievers.
ScreamingSchool is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth