Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Sonic Gossip
Reload this Page Kim Gordon to Hold Art Exhibition at the Andy Warhol Museum
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 02.06.2019, 05:20 PM   #1
_tunic_
invito al cielo

_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses
Kim Gordon to Hold Art Exhibition at the Andy Warhol Museum

Quote:
Kim Gordon: Lo-Fi Glamour marks first solo art show in North America for the Sonic Youth co-founder

Kim Gordon, February 2019 (Stefanie Keenan/Getty Images for JNSQ Wines)

Kim Gordon has announced Kim Gordon: Lo-Fi Glamour, a new art exhibition of the Sonic Youth co-founder’s visual art that will be hosted at the Andy Warhol Museum in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. The exhibition will be Gordon’s first-ever solo art show in North America, and will consist of two parts: a “survey exhibition of Gordon’s paintings, drawings and sculpture,” and a score that Warhol commissioned from Gordon for his 1964 silent film Kiss titled Sound for Andy Warhol’s Kiss. The exhibition component will feature “new, never-before shown figure drawings” by Gordon.

Sound for Andy Warhol’s Kiss is also getting a limited-edition vinyl release in addition to being featured in the exhibition. Recorded in the Warhol Theater, the score was recorded by Gordon, Body/Head bandmate Bill Nace, Steve Gunn, and John Truscinski. Last year, Gordon appeared in He Won’t Get Far on Foot, directed by Gus Van Sant. 2018 also saw Gordon and Nace release their most recent album as Body/Head, The Switch.

And here's an excerpt of that soundtrack!

Direct link to the Exhibition site: https://www.warhol.org/exhibition/ki...lo-fi-glamour/

_tunic_ is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.06.2019, 08:10 PM   #2
halgreen
stalker

halgreen kicks all y'all's asseshalgreen kicks all y'all's asseshalgreen kicks all y'all's asseshalgreen kicks all y'all's asseshalgreen kicks all y'all's asseshalgreen kicks all y'all's asseshalgreen kicks all y'all's asseshalgreen kicks all y'all's asseshalgreen kicks all y'all's asseshalgreen kicks all y'all's asseshalgreen kicks all y'all's asses
Can't wait to hear this. hopefully it won't be too much of a limited edition...

kim and all her boys
halgreen is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.10.2019, 09:08 AM   #3
greenlight
invito al cielo

greenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's asses
thanks

greenlight is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.18.2019, 02:23 AM   #4
hirsute_biped
the end of the ugly

hirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asseshirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asseshirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asseshirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asseshirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asseshirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asseshirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asseshirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asseshirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asseshirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asseshirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asses

John Cale scored Kiss too!
hirsute_biped is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.22.2019, 06:36 PM   #5
The Soup Nazi
invito al cielo

The Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by halgreen
Can't wait to hear this. hopefully it won't be too much of a limited edition...

Hear, hear. I NEED that record...

GADJI BERI BIMBA GLANDRIDI LAULI LONNI CADORI GADJAM A BIM BERI GLASSALA GLANDRIDI E GLASSALA TUFFM I ZIMBRA

The Soup Nazi is online now   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.10.2019, 06:56 PM   #6
skipvacuum
stalker

skipvacuum kicks all y'all's assesskipvacuum kicks all y'all's assesskipvacuum kicks all y'all's assesskipvacuum kicks all y'all's assesskipvacuum kicks all y'all's assesskipvacuum kicks all y'all's assesskipvacuum kicks all y'all's assesskipvacuum kicks all y'all's assesskipvacuum kicks all y'all's assesskipvacuum kicks all y'all's assesskipvacuum kicks all y'all's asses
Thursday, May 16, 2019
7–9:30pm

Join us as we celebrate the opening of our Kim Gordon: Lo-Fi Glamour exhibition and present the world premiere and album release for Sound for Andy Warhol’s Kiss, a live performance/film commission. Accompanied by collaborators Bill Nace, Steve Gunn and John Truscinski, Kim Gordon will premiere a partially improvised continual soundtrack for Warhol’s hour-long film Kiss, 1963-64, that captures close-ups of fourteen couples kissing. The performance paired with the Kim Gordon: Lo-Fi Glamour exhibition of paintings, sculpture and drawings, provides a platform to engage with both the visual and sonic work of an artist who cites Warhol as a key influence, and whose own work with Sonic Youth has been highly influential to younger generations.

Registration is required.

Sound for Andy Warhol’s Kiss will be performed at 7:30 p.m.

this is advertised as free but you need to register. 75 dollars for one person, a 100 for two
Old 05.17.2019, 09:58 AM   #7
halgreen
stalker

halgreen kicks all y'all's asseshalgreen kicks all y'all's asseshalgreen kicks all y'all's asseshalgreen kicks all y'all's asseshalgreen kicks all y'all's asseshalgreen kicks all y'all's asseshalgreen kicks all y'all's asseshalgreen kicks all y'all's asseshalgreen kicks all y'all's asseshalgreen kicks all y'all's asseshalgreen kicks all y'all's asses
Anybody watch the live stream of the performance lag night? Streaming sound was muddy but you could still hear that the music was great. I just ordered my copy of the LP from the Warhol store. I had to call them and place the order, and it was 76 bux with shipping, but I’m still excited.
halgreen is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.17.2019, 03:09 PM   #8
The Soup Nazi
invito al cielo

The Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by halgreen
I just ordered my copy of the LP from the Warhol store. I had to call them and place the order, and it was 76 bux with shipping, but I’m still excited.

Jesus Christ Monkeyballs... Completely out of the question for me after spending $112 on the Peter Laughner box. Awesome for you, though! (I mean it, no sarcasm.)

GADJI BERI BIMBA GLANDRIDI LAULI LONNI CADORI GADJAM A BIM BERI GLASSALA GLANDRIDI E GLASSALA TUFFM I ZIMBRA

Old 05.17.2019, 06:56 PM   #9
skipvacuum
stalker

skipvacuum kicks all y'all's assesskipvacuum kicks all y'all's assesskipvacuum kicks all y'all's assesskipvacuum kicks all y'all's assesskipvacuum kicks all y'all's assesskipvacuum kicks all y'all's assesskipvacuum kicks all y'all's assesskipvacuum kicks all y'all's assesskipvacuum kicks all y'all's assesskipvacuum kicks all y'all's assesskipvacuum kicks all y'all's asses
here is a link to the live stream of the performance

https://www.facebook.com/thewarholmu...3089251930461/
Old 05.17.2019, 07:42 PM   #10
The Soup Nazi
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipvacuum
here is a link to the live stream of the performance

https://www.facebook.com/thewarholmu...3089251930461/

Thanks, skip. For us Facemook-allergics, it's been uploaded to YouTube as well.

By the way, I can't get my YouTube Video And Audio Downloader extension for Firefox to properly work anymore. Guess I'll just try removing it and then installing it from scratch. We should have a freakin' tech thread on the Non-Sonics subforum to deal with this crap...

Old 09.08.2019, 05:49 PM   #11
skipvacuum
stalker

The Lp price is a bit much, but anyone in Pittsburgh or near by , there is a record store a couple blocks from the Warhol called Government Center that has a couple copies for 50 even.

I was apprehensive to post about it cuz i doubt there are many Pittsburghers on here, but i've met a few over the years and once i met up with one of my fave Sy buddies from Finland here in Pittsburgh. I doubt anyone would vacation here but someone might make a business trip here. Cheapest i've seen the record so i thought it worth mentioning.
Old 09.08.2019, 08:58 PM   #12
The Soup Nazi
invito al cielo

Quote:
The Lp price is a bit much, but anyone in Pittsburgh or near by , there is a record store a couple blocks from the Warhol called Government Center that has a couple copies for 50 even.

I was apprehensive to post about it cuz i doubt there are many Pittsburghers on here, but i've met a few over the years and once i met up with one of my fave Sy buddies from Finland here in Pittsburgh. I doubt anyone would vacation here but someone might make a business trip here. Cheapest i've seen the record so i thought it worth mentioning.

Ever watched Weeds? Mary-Louise Parker's character's youngest son becomes obsessed with Pittsburgh at one point.

Old 09.09.2019, 07:12 PM   #13
skipvacuum
stalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Soup Nazi
Ever watched Weeds? Mary-Louise Parker's character's youngest son becomes obsessed with Pittsburgh at one point.

I was gonna let Pittsburgh drop but Soup Nazi u got me thinking about it and i gotta list some odd appearances of Pittsburgh in fiction. This is a strange city
at the point of three rivers converging. yeah i've seen Weeds and of course i loved her sons obsession, i agree with him mostly. my fave Pittsburgh mentions in fiction.

Videodrome - the hideous videodrome signal is being broadcast from Pittsburgh..of course..makes total sense

Twin Peaks - Pittsburgh is often brought up as a place Agent Cooper had some heavy shit happen to him

Weeds- already mentioned, thanks Soup Nazi

i guess that's it really, thought there was more. Many films r set here, many are filmed here as well. Zombies were created here as was Mr Rogers ( i do think of him as a fictional character). The first commercial radio broadcast was done here in 1920.

Not much music though..well actually lots but little of it ever gets heard west of Ohio....Karl Hendricks Trio,Hurl,Creta Bourzia,Modey Lemon,Battered Citizens,The Bats,The Cynics,Black Moth Super Rainbow,Aus Rotten,Sludgehammer,The Five,Half Life,Zombi,Microwaves

i guess the biggest national group was Rusted Root..Donnie Iris

Two groups related to each other r worth checking out and they did make a slight impact outside of Pitt..Don Caballero & thee Speaking Canaries

check out "got a mile,got a mile,got an inch" on that tube thing for some awesome samples of Pittsburgh courtesy of SCTV

Speaking Canaries..nothing else like them on the planet..often described as Sonic Youth meets Van Halen..i agree but it's even more than that..check out the record Cosloy released on 12Xu..mind blowing

and a band on Sub Pop influenced by SY for sure "the GOTOBEDS"
they were swell enough to profess their love to me at the end of a song
on a compilation of their stuff..touring Europe for the first time in Nov....
Rappard u must go to the show, i told em you would be there

but i've gotten way off track...the weirdest thing about living in Pittsburgh and being an almost life long Sonic Youth fan..was anytime i walked around Downtown this Summer, Kim Gordon's face would greet me on almost every bus that passed by...very surreal for me..oh ..i forgot..Andy Warhol, he's buried a couple miles from where i'm at.

thats it..thought of a super famous rapper who died not long ago who was from here...and Pittsburgh also has it's own language ...look up pittsburghese for proof...now thats it...hope this post wasn't annoying..i come here everyday..but rarely have anything to say..

hope Yinz enjoyed it
Old 09.09.2019, 09:19 PM   #14
The Soup Nazi
invito al cielo

Quote:
Twin Peaks - Pittsburgh is often brought up as a place Agent Cooper had some heavy shit happen to him

Shit, how did I forget. I've been a major fan ever since the show first aired - the people at school didn't know what I was on. Fuck 'em! Where are they now! Maybe watching it on Netflix and bullshitting about how they were into it all along! Some are mathematicians! Some are carpenters' wives! Don't know how it all got started! I don't know what they're doin' with their lives! Anyway, I need to watch it ALL again: the original two seasons (anyone who thinks the show lost it after season 1 is retarded, and I don't mean intellectually disabled, I mean fucking RETARDED), Fire Walk With Me, The Return (not another nostalgia cash-in: in 1991 [1991! Sharon Van Etten was 10! Madeline Zima was 5!] Laura Palmer SAID, "I will see you again in 25 years"), the extras from the domestic releases, the books, the... coffee mugs ("damn good coffee") - lookit, just bring it on!

Go Pittsburgh, by the way. "I represent Pittsburgh, not Paris"? Horseshit, of course.

Old 09.20.2019, 05:10 AM   #15
Genteel Death
invito al cielo

Genteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's asses
http://www.artnews.com/2019/07/01/ki...um-pittsburgh/
Genteel Death is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.16.2019, 04:40 AM   #16
The Soup Nazi
invito al cielo

Sound for Andy Warhol's KISS (Kim Gordon, Bill Nace, Steve Gunn, John Truscinski) to perform at Big Ears 2020 (March 26-29). From the festival's site:

Quote:
In 1988, New York noisemakers Sonic Youth drew from the LSD-fueled monologue in Andy Warhol's film Chelsea Girls for the lyrics to "Eric's Trip." The fifth song on the seminal Daydream Nation —which was later selected for preservation in the National Recording Library by the Library of Congress— was a nod to Warhol's deep influence on the band.

The influential exchange endures decades later. In 2018, The Andy Warhol Museum commissioned Kim Gordon, cofounder of Sonic Youth and notable visual artist herself, to create an original score for Warhol's classic homage to the kiss, the 1963 silent film by that name. In 1960, Warhol abruptly quit painting and turned his attention toward multimedia projects, stretching his lo-fi aesthetic into a multidisciplinary approach that included film, music, fashion, and publishing. A writer, artist, beatmaker, bassist, guitarist, fashionista, and photographer, Gordon now carries that baton. The crown jewel in a full-scale exhibition of paintings, sculpture, and ephemera now on display at The Andy Warhol Museum, Kiss is a perfect avenue for artistic exploration.

At Big Ears, Gordon —accompanied by Big Ears veteran and Body/Head bandmate Bill Nace and experimental stalwarts Steve Gunn and John Truscinski— will breathe new breath into Kiss with a dazzling, dreamy, and partially improvised score. Kiss celebrates two wonderfully intertwined legacies, while affirming the one constant throughout Gordon's comprehensive career: an ambitious quest to fuse her sonic and visual foundations through fearless creative experimentation.

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth