Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page Back catalog sales (article!)
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 07.19.2007, 12:58 PM   #1
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
I am always very interested in how many records bands sell of their back catalogs. This is an article from CNN talking about the back catalogue sales of artists from the 80's and 90's.
http://www.cnn.com/2007/SHOWBIZ/Musi....ap/index.html

There are some interesting tidbits in the article. For instance, it is CRAZY to me that AC/DC's Back in Black sold 440,000 copies LAST YEAR! That's a 27 year old album! amazing! Just amazing to me. It has already sold over 140 thousand this year alone.

What do you guys think? I wonder if soundscan has a website where you can track the sales of albums. I am always curious to see how much sonic youth sell each year.
Old 07.19.2007, 01:39 PM   #2
pantophobia
expwy. to yr skull

pantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's asses
i think you have to be in the industry to get any of those statistics

"Still, many albums that are consistently revered on critic top-ten lists of the '80s and '90s have not sold much. Joy Division's "Closer," the Smiths' "The Queen is Dead," My Bloody Valentine's "Loveless," and R.E.M.'s "Murmur" all sold 12,000 copies or less last year."

SY would certainly be in that catagory if even that, i don't think they care to talk about sales, and it's rare for any media outlet to do the research and post it for the public
pantophobia is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.19.2007, 02:03 PM   #3
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
true, panto.
I think one can pay a fee and register with soundscan and be able to access the statistics. I am broke though.

http://www.soundscan.com

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth