Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page Ranking all Sleater Kinney albums and side projects
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 02.19.2016, 02:25 PM   #21
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Severian
Yeah, AHOTBO surprised me at first with how loose and borderline bouncy it sounded. So little distortion! But soon I was humming those songs all over the damn place. Admittedly, it's the SK album I've listened to the least. But it has its place in their catalogue for sure.

Revisit it please.. it is a totally FUN record and it will stick with you. I think it is most reflective of what LIVE S-K is, just a lot of fun! Indeed its what I missed SOOOOOOOOO much during the hiatus and why I was glad to have Wild Flag and Corin Tucker Band to fill in the fun shows gap!

All Hands on the Bad One was THEE record of 2001 for me. I listened to it like EVERY day and had that CD with me like EVERYWHERE I went. In fact, I think its the S-K record that I listened to the most aside from how much I worshiped at the church of Dig Me Out when it came out. The Hot Rock is still me favorite for many many personal reasons, BUT All Hands is a totally kick ass record.. I may just have to re-rank it on my list

SuchFriendsAreDangerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.19.2016, 04:12 PM   #22
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
was just listening to All Hands again and was transported back in time to being a teenager, smoking pot in the bushes of a park on my way walking to high school... wow! its always amazing how vivid your memories are when triggered by something.. a total flashback! Its like, I can not just see myself, I can see that entire moment in every single detail.. the colors of the bushes and the grass in that dim gray overcast morning... the smells.. my own thoughts that morning!! even EXACTLY how was feeling to each specific song on my headphones...

whoa... THIS is why I love music. My memory is fucked from smoking pot for twenty years BUT its all in there somewhere, I just have a fucked up filing system. I need triggers to bring up the files of memory..

Old 02.19.2016, 05:37 PM   #23
Toilet & Bowels
invito al cielo

Toilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's asses
I don't have the extra tracks from The Spells, I didn't even know there were any. I only have the Age of Backwards CD. I'd appreciate it a lot if you uploaded the extra stuff please thank you.
Toilet & Bowels is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.19.2016, 05:44 PM   #24
The Soup Nazi
invito al cielo

The Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toilet & Bowels
I don't have the extra tracks from The Spells, I didn't even know there were any. I only have the Age of Backwards CD. I'd appreciate it a lot if you uploaded the extra stuff please thank you.

They're not Age Of Backwards extras/outtakes; they're four songs Carrie and Mary recorded circa 2000 looking to make a Spells LP. Here's the story goddammit:

http://www.npr.org/sections/monitorm...t_vs_bird.html

GADJI BERI BIMBA GLANDRIDI LAULI LONNI CADORI GADJAM A BIM BERI GLASSALA GLANDRIDI E GLASSALA TUFFM I ZIMBRA

The Soup Nazi is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.19.2016, 05:55 PM   #25
Toilet & Bowels
invito al cielo

Toilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's asses
Although I liked a few tracks on All Hands I found it a bit disappointing after Hot Rock (my first SK record), I didn't understand why after making such and unusual and unique record as The Hot Rock they would basically regress to more simplified and normally structured songs. But I guess it's sort of comparable to SY putting out DDN and then writing songs like My Friend Goo and Mary Christ.
Toilet & Bowels is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.19.2016, 07:06 PM   #26
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuchFriendsAreDangerous
was just listening to All Hands again and was transported back in time to being a teenager, smoking pot in the bushes of a park on my way walking to high school... wow! its always amazing how vivid your memories are when triggered by something.. a total flashback! Its like, I can not just see myself, I can see that entire moment in every single detail.. the colors of the bushes and the grass in that dim gray overcast morning... the smells.. my own thoughts that morning!! even EXACTLY how was feeling to each specific song on my headphones...

whoa... THIS is why I love music. My memory is fucked from smoking pot for twenty years BUT its all in there somewhere, I just have a fucked up filing system. I need triggers to bring up the files of memory..

Oh yeah I was all over that shit in '01. It was my favorite SK album for a while. Saw them several times during that period. I felt that One Beat's seriousness and the thunderous rock drumming on it and the Woods kinda edged AHOTBO out, but it's a great album.

Imma listen to it right now actually.

Then the Hot Rock. "The Size of our Love" gets me every Fucking time.
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.19.2016, 07:09 PM   #27
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Although I liked a few tracks on All Hands I found it a bit disappointing after Hot Rock (my first SK record), I didn't understand why after making such and unusual and unique record as The Hot Rock they would basically regress to more simplified and normally structured songs. But I guess it's sort of comparable to SY putting out DDN and then writing songs like My Friend Goo and Mary Christ.

My Friend Goo = pretty much the only Sonic Youth song that I always skip.

In fact I'd prefer to pretend it was never made. I cut it from the version of Goo on my iPod.
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.19.2016, 07:15 PM   #28
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Soup Nazi
They're not Age Of Backwards extras/outtakes; they're four songs Carrie and Mary recorded circa 2000 looking to make a Spells LP. Here's the story goddammit:

http://www.npr.org/sections/monitorm...t_vs_bird.html
More or less same shit. I haven't read the article yet but if remember correctly from the first time when i initially downloaded them from the Monitor Mix that Carrie said they were songs that had already been recorded but needed some fixes and remastering.

Either way if anyone needs them let me know, couple years ago i sent them to like 20 people here so apparently their harder to find then i thought.

Old 02.19.2016, 07:18 PM   #29
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

Quote:
I can see why you would say that if Hot Rock was your introduction to SK but if you zoom out it wasn't entirely a regression so much as Hot Rock was simply an outlier. Indeed if you were yo take it out of the discography then All Hands really does feel like a progression and indeed follows that trend through One Beat, the Woods, and No Cities to Love. Perhaps because Hot Rock is so fundamentally different and unique from any other SK record and even side project releases that is why i put it as Number One

Old 02.19.2016, 07:23 PM   #30
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

Quote:
I have very limited internet but tonight i will send them. PM and i can email them to you directly and maybe if more people are interested ill post them on youtube

Old 02.19.2016, 07:49 PM   #31
The Soup Nazi
invito al cielo

The Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuchFriendsAreDangerous
I have very limited internet but tonight i will send them. PM and i can email them to you directly and maybe if more people are interested ill post them on youtube

Actually, all of you critters can download the four songs from the link I posted above two hours ago! Just scroll the hell back! There's a little artwork and all! Jesus Christ!

GADJI BERI BIMBA GLANDRIDI LAULI LONNI CADORI GADJAM A BIM BERI GLASSALA GLANDRIDI E GLASSALA TUFFM I ZIMBRA

The Soup Nazi is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth