Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page Unpopular Musical Opinions
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 04.23.2006, 04:56 PM   #221
CHOUT
invito al cielo

CHOUT kicks all y'all's assesCHOUT kicks all y'all's assesCHOUT kicks all y'all's assesCHOUT kicks all y'all's assesCHOUT kicks all y'all's assesCHOUT kicks all y'all's assesCHOUT kicks all y'all's assesCHOUT kicks all y'all's assesCHOUT kicks all y'all's assesCHOUT kicks all y'all's assesCHOUT kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by schizophrenicroom
elvis costello's best album was this year's model.
So true. It's a masterpiece to my ears.

CHOUT is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.23.2006, 04:58 PM   #222
schizophrenicroom
invito al cielo

schizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's asses
as much as i love him, most of morrissey's solo stuff SUCKS ASS.
Old 04.23.2006, 07:08 PM   #223
LifeDistortion
expwy. to yr skull

LifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by schizophrenicroom
as much as i love him, most of morrissey's solo stuff SUCKS ASS.

Talk about unpopular opinons, I have heard and often given both solo Morrissey AND The Smiths more then one chance to get into the music, and they have failed. People worship The Smiths and Morrissey, but to me, just don't see what all the fascination is with him. If we're talking mopey, depressing poppy music I'd take Echo and The Bunnyman anyday of the week.
LifeDistortion is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.23.2006, 11:13 PM   #225
Proud Marie
little trouble girl

Proud Marie ain't too shabby
Noise bands are garbage
Minimalism is garbage - John Cage is a retard with no artistic merit
NYCG+F is SY's worst album
SYR 4 is unlistenable for me

Guns N Roses are savage
The beatles and rolling stones are WAAAAAAAAY overrated
Pink Floyd is awesome except for The Wall
Rush is killer
Foo Fighters Suck
Nirvana Sucks
Mudhoney sucks
NIN sucks Trent Reznor is the worst him and his angsty 13 year old angsty hordes of fans can suck it
Stephen Perkins is an awesome drummer, listen to banyan
John Frusciante is overratted, Dave Navarro's work with the chilli peppers is the best
Proud Marie is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.23.2006, 11:15 PM   #226
nomadicfollower
invito al cielo

nomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's asses
Though I don't agree with most the shit you said...NIN suck horribbly and I'm tired of hearing 'Trent Reznor is a genius'.
nomadicfollower is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.23.2006, 11:36 PM   #227
Daycare Nation
expwy. to yr skull

Daycare Nation kicks all y'all's assesDaycare Nation kicks all y'all's assesDaycare Nation kicks all y'all's assesDaycare Nation kicks all y'all's assesDaycare Nation kicks all y'all's assesDaycare Nation kicks all y'all's assesDaycare Nation kicks all y'all's assesDaycare Nation kicks all y'all's assesDaycare Nation kicks all y'all's assesDaycare Nation kicks all y'all's assesDaycare Nation kicks all y'all's asses
Well...based on what I've read here...I have to say that I love Stereolab, The Smiths and Morrissey, and I think that all of Morrissey's solo albums are good, and that Johnny Marr has no talent and that his post-Smiths work is crap...I don't really care for Nine Inch Nails or Nirvana, although I have one NIN album an ex gave me...some of Husker Du is really good, some of it is crap. MBV Loveless is one of the best albums of all time, and "Spooky" by Lush doesn't come close to topping it, although they are a good band--"Split" is their best album. There's nothing wrong with John Cage or minimalism. There are in fact no good Smashing Pumpkins albums after Adore, and Mellon Collie is crap. Pablo Honey is also crap, although the other Radiohead Albums are okay, The Bends and OK Computer being the best. Devendra Banhart is not boring. Dylan, The Stones and the Beatles are all overrated, but they all have some good songs. Clap Your Hands Say Yeah is excellent. Sufjan Stevens is in fact brilliant. The Stone Roses S/T was brilliant, but they went downhill a couple of years later. Interpol is good. Their second album is actually better than the first. Pavement is boring. Johnny Cash is good. Animal Collective "Feels" is good. Sting without the Police sucks. Bowie is good. Joanna Newsom has a great voice.

And that's all I can think of kids...time for me to pass out. And remember, Daycare Nation has the correct opinion.

Love,
Daycare Nation

PS. I love you

That dragon ain't the love sweet love.
Daycare Nation is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.23.2006, 11:57 PM   #228
noumenal
expwy. to yr skull

noumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard sucka
Quote:
Originally Posted by Proud Marie
Minimalism is garbage - John Cage is a retard with no artistic merit

You aren't calling John Cage a minimalist, are you? John Cage has never been a minimalist. Also, what are you basing these statements on?
noumenal is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.24.2006, 02:57 AM   #229
Pax Americana
expwy. to yr skull

Pax Americana kicks all y'all's assesPax Americana kicks all y'all's assesPax Americana kicks all y'all's assesPax Americana kicks all y'all's assesPax Americana kicks all y'all's assesPax Americana kicks all y'all's assesPax Americana kicks all y'all's assesPax Americana kicks all y'all's assesPax Americana kicks all y'all's assesPax Americana kicks all y'all's assesPax Americana kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by noumenal
You aren't calling John Cage a minimalist, are you? John Cage has never been a minimalist.

True. John Cage, not a minimalist. Philip Glass, now there's a minimalist, a damn good one too.

Also, I think Neil Diamond fucking rules. That one seems to be pretty unpopular among my friends... bastards. Oh and Jim Morrison sucked. American Poet my ass... talk about being full of oneself.
Pax Americana is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.24.2006, 07:03 PM   #230
dietzer123
stalker

dietzer123 cold hard suckadietzer123 cold hard suckadietzer123 cold hard suckadietzer123 cold hard suckadietzer123 cold hard suckadietzer123 cold hard suckadietzer123 cold hard suckadietzer123 cold hard suckadietzer123 cold hard suckadietzer123 cold hard suckadietzer123 cold hard sucka
i dont' get what the big fucking deal is about eric clapton. he's not that great a fucking guitarist. patti smith kinda blows
Old 04.24.2006, 07:07 PM   #231
dietzer123
stalker

dietzer123 cold hard suckadietzer123 cold hard suckadietzer123 cold hard suckadietzer123 cold hard suckadietzer123 cold hard suckadietzer123 cold hard suckadietzer123 cold hard suckadietzer123 cold hard suckadietzer123 cold hard suckadietzer123 cold hard suckadietzer123 cold hard sucka
and i hear she's a poetic genius but i could never get past hating her music so i never got into her lyrics. on the other hand, jim morrison is wildly overrated. he by no means sucked but he was pretty good lyricist. the keyboardist from the doors is wildly underrated though
Old 04.24.2006, 08:29 PM   #232
Proud Marie
little trouble girl

Quote:
You aren't calling John Cage a minimalist, are you? John Cage has never been a minimalist. Also, what are you basing these statements on?

I just assumed a minimal recording like 12 minutes of dead silence might be catagorized as minimalist, as would a 600 year concert with 3 chords played per year
Old 04.24.2006, 09:06 PM   #233
Proud Marie
little trouble girl

I googled "john cage minimalist" and got 200,000 results, so i geuss there are others who think the same way. i could be wrong, ive just heard so many people call him a minimalist, its stuck. here are a few

http://www.britannica.com/ebi/article-9273443
http://www.dailynews.com/stage/ci_3637209
http://listserver.dreamhost.com/pipe...ly/002615.html

regardless, his music sounds pretty pointless to me
Old 04.24.2006, 09:29 PM   #234
noumenal
expwy. to yr skull

noumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard sucka
Cage is not a minimalist. By "minimalist", I mean the specific style of composition that began in the 60's and is typified by composers like Riley, Reich, and Glass. Cage is a modernist and minimlaism is usually seen as the "antidote" to modernism. The way you're using the word is very vague and could be used to describe lots of music. But when you're talking about music, people will assume that you're referring to the specific style of music, not just using a vague descriptive term. Keeps things from getting confusing. Anybody, even Encyclopedia Brittanica, who calls Cage a minimalist is being at best unlcear, but in my opinion, they're just plain wrong.

The only reason I jumped on you is that you said that Cage was crap - how much of his music have you actually listened to? You should listen to his stuff from the 30's and 40's - back when the minimalist composers were little kids.
noumenal is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.25.2006, 05:41 AM   #235
finding nobody
invito al cielo

finding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's asses
loretta lynn's last album was great.
finding nobody is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.25.2006, 06:39 AM   #236
RdTv
invito al cielo

RdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's asses
more unpopular things.......
eric clapton is extremely overrated
i dislike bruce springsteen with a passion..what the hell is he the boss of???
chan marshall(cat power) newer albums are not good, her older stuff rules
and the motherfakir of em all:WE AS SY FANS ARE OVERRATED
RdTv is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.25.2006, 07:37 AM   #237
Onani Nic
the end of the ugly

Onani Nic kicks all y'all's assesOnani Nic kicks all y'all's assesOnani Nic kicks all y'all's assesOnani Nic kicks all y'all's assesOnani Nic kicks all y'all's assesOnani Nic kicks all y'all's assesOnani Nic kicks all y'all's assesOnani Nic kicks all y'all's assesOnani Nic kicks all y'all's assesOnani Nic kicks all y'all's assesOnani Nic kicks all y'all's asses
I haven't got any Magick Markers albums but by the mp3s and videos I have seen I think they are damn entertaining and fun.

"Fuck You" is an awesome jam.
Old 04.25.2006, 07:43 AM   #238
FruitLoop
children of satan

FruitLoop cold hard suckaFruitLoop cold hard suckaFruitLoop cold hard suckaFruitLoop cold hard suckaFruitLoop cold hard suckaFruitLoop cold hard suckaFruitLoop cold hard suckaFruitLoop cold hard suckaFruitLoop cold hard suckaFruitLoop cold hard suckaFruitLoop cold hard sucka
I hate Legend, the "best of" compilation of Bob Marley that somehow everybody seems to have. Natural Mystic is much better.

Catch a Fire is Bob Marley's best album, with or without the Wailers.
FruitLoop is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.25.2006, 07:53 AM   #239
Onani Nic
the end of the ugly

Onani Nic kicks all y'all's assesOnani Nic kicks all y'all's assesOnani Nic kicks all y'all's assesOnani Nic kicks all y'all's assesOnani Nic kicks all y'all's assesOnani Nic kicks all y'all's assesOnani Nic kicks all y'all's assesOnani Nic kicks all y'all's assesOnani Nic kicks all y'all's assesOnani Nic kicks all y'all's assesOnani Nic kicks all y'all's asses
i dont know much about reggae but i do know that out of the reggae I've heard Bob Marely isn't the best. I prefer Dillinger and Lee Perry.
Old 04.25.2006, 11:32 AM   #240
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Cage is not a minimalist. By "minimalist", I mean the specific style of composition that began in the 60's and is typified by composers like Riley, Reich, and Glass. Cage is a modernist and minimlaism is usually seen as the "antidote" to modernism. The way you're using the word is very vague and could be used to describe lots of music. But when you're talking about music, people will assume that you're referring to the specific style of music, not just using a vague descriptive term. Keeps things from getting confusing. Anybody, even Encyclopedia Brittanica, who calls Cage a minimalist is being at best unlcear, but in my opinion, they're just plain wrong.

The only reason I jumped on you is that you said that Cage was crap - how much of his music have you actually listened to? You should listen to his stuff from the 30's and 40's - back when the minimalist composers were little kids.

This is the correct set of statements regarding Cage. Here's an unpopular opinion - the constant selling of liberation principles, such as experimentalism and originality is too often rejected by dillentantes who lay claim only to a niggardly emotivism which rejects the true machinations of music as an art form; further, such a set back has caused the art of music to wither away to such a shadow of its former self that all but the few genuinely appreciate music as an art form rather than an pseudo-economic commodity. Noumenal is one of these few.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
91011 12 1314152262 > »
-->

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth