Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page How to master for little/no $$
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 02.15.2009, 06:34 PM   #1
evollove
invito al cielo

evollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's asses
So you've downloaded a free recording program and captured your masterpiece, spending nothing in the process except the precious hours of your life.

Next comes the mastering stage. Whoa. That costs a pretty penny.

Or does it?

Are there free mastering programs floating around? Does one need a special disc drive? Can one cheat and master to a CDR to send to the duplcation house?

Has anyone sent files to any of these sites offering to master for cheap? Sounds awfully scammy to me. On the other hand, other places offer their services for two hundred bucks a song? Legit, maybe, but fuck me.

There's GOT to be a better way.
evollove is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.15.2009, 06:54 PM   #2
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
I guess I'm not totally sure what a "master" is, because I kinda just do a final mix of everything in adobe audition and call it a day. Obviously, there's going to be some failings in the eq and bass department, because .. uh .. it is recorded at a house and not a $10,000,000 recording studio .. but I don't think anyone gives a fuck about that anyway. A good song trascends technological limitations.

But no I can't help you.

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.15.2009, 07:57 PM   #3
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by atsonicpark
I guess I'm not totally sure what a "master" is, because I kinda just do a final mix of everything in adobe audition and call it a day. Obviously, there's going to be some failings in the eq and bass department, because .. uh .. it is recorded at a house and not a $10,000,000 recording studio .. but I don't think anyone gives a fuck about that anyway. A good song trascends technological limitations.

But no I can't help you.

No, you can't. This Robe album - the difference between this album making you a proper musician and this album making you one of the innumerable nobodies of music - it's entirely down to your self-defeating lack of appreciation of production. The Robe album is seriously awesome, but no fucker cares, because the production is not far away from shit.

Your call - either you're a person with a gift or you're the wanker with a talent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.15.2009, 07:58 PM   #4
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
My answer being - money = fans in mastering, assuming the product isn't shit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.15.2009, 08:08 PM   #5
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
Well, that particular album is purposely not recorded to the best degree anyway; it sounded too clean when we first were recording it, and we intentionally dirty up the sound a shitload before we release it. I've done some production work that sounds pretty good, I think. The hardest part is getting a good recording of drums... But generally I just line in everything directly into the mic port of a computer, spend a long time messing with equalizers and such, and I can get a bright, clean, "hi" sound. I just usually fuck with it a lot because that's not the sound that fits my music..

But yeah I appreciate good production. I still think a good song trascends any form of production, but sure. However you want something to sound.. if you just want it to sound amazing and.. hi-fi... then go get it mastered, sure.

Old 02.15.2009, 08:10 PM   #6
Toilet & Bowels
invito al cielo

Toilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's asses
did the shadow ring ever master their records?
Toilet & Bowels is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.15.2009, 08:12 PM   #7
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

master! master!

Old 02.15.2009, 09:34 PM   #8
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

either way.

Mastering is good if you want it to sound professional, definitely.

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth