Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page >>the last movie you watched
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 02.26.2011, 03:46 PM   #14141
Torn Curtain
invito al cielo

Torn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's asses
Classic albums : Black Sabbath - Paranoid

Good.
Old 02.26.2011, 04:13 PM   #14142
Ghostchase
100%

Ghostchase kicks all y'all's assesGhostchase kicks all y'all's assesGhostchase kicks all y'all's assesGhostchase kicks all y'all's assesGhostchase kicks all y'all's assesGhostchase kicks all y'all's assesGhostchase kicks all y'all's assesGhostchase kicks all y'all's assesGhostchase kicks all y'all's assesGhostchase kicks all y'all's assesGhostchase kicks all y'all's asses

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind

Michel Gondry is a true visionary, love the man's work. Just another film of the thousands of films I've should of watched A LONG time ago already. Great script and premise. Flawless. A perfect film to watch when this end of winter's grasp still clings to the world in many parts. The cold, dark, grey feeling still looms over you, and the depression that is felt on many days. You must remember that the light is still out there, the brightness and aura that can be contained in finding that long lost love.
Ghostchase is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.26.2011, 04:41 PM   #14143
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
I have been doing TV series instead of movies for the past year or so. Just finished Terminator/ The Sarah Connor Chronicles. It was wonderful. Why the fuck was it cancelled???

I don't understand TV executives. When someone makes a great show they almost always find a way to kill it. It's like their job titles are "Creativity Killer Demon, Prime Time Division." Shit like Buffy makes it past the 3rd year only by great feats of contortion. What is wrong with these people?

Anyway, great fucking show; in spite of the TV-style flaws (lack of continuity, cheesy credits at the start of 2nd season, switch from long plot to one-episode mini-plots, etc), very good shit.

Note to self: rewatch Berlin Alexanderplatz.

--

Ghostchase: Do you think Eternal Sunshine owes more to Gondry or to Charlie Kaufmann? You seem to think Gondry, can you tell me why? To me this is 80% Charlie Kaufman and the visual tricks are the only Gondry watermark I notice. In other words, beautifully shot as this might have been, it could have been shot by other people, but it could only have been written by Charlie Kaufman. Yes? No? Maybe?
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.26.2011, 04:55 PM   #14144
Dr. Eugene Felikson
invito al cielo

Dr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by atsonicpark

(his hair changes 20 times per episode -- strange I never noticed that before!).

Haha. Yup!

It happens a lot in the Canadian box-set too. Specifically when he has a shaved head and the prosthetics on his face. I'm not entirely sure that those episodes are all in the proper order. I even remember there being a reference to "the lobster skit" in an episode placed before the episode with the actual skit. It may just be a case of recording-dates vs. airing-dates though. Which is the same way that the episode order on some of the X-Files DVDs are fucked up, if you pay close enough attention.

But yeah, they show a lot of old clips in the MTV version. Did you watch the spring break special yet? Where he upsets the cruise ship kitchen? Hahaha
Dr. Eugene Felikson is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.26.2011, 06:54 PM   #14145
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by !@#$%!
Note to self: rewatch Berlin Alexanderplatz.

Note to all: Fassbinder is god.

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.26.2011, 07:04 PM   #14146
Dr. Eugene Felikson
invito al cielo

Dr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's asses

Meh. It was alright. The part about how Tierry conned so many into believing his brilliance, was neat. It's funny, he treated his art show almost as if he were running a film set - with so many (far more talented) artists working beneath him. Completely capitalizing on the snobbery of others - that's the aspect about the film that I enjoyed. But was it really a con if people truly enjoyed his work?

The only thing that the film really proved was just how dumb and materialistic the art world can be. To which, I say "No shit".
Old 02.26.2011, 07:18 PM   #14147
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
See, it's a Banksy prankumentary. Why would Banksy make a film about some other artist? Because it's a creation OF Banksy!...Thierry -- MR. BRIANWASH -- isn't real, that's all part of the prank too. Oh, he's a real person, but he's not a real "artist", at least not in the absurd way portrayed in the film; it's simple Banksy making the absolute biggest mass marketed garbage. Get enough people to "like" it and people can't distinguish what's art and what's not. It goes far beyond peopel being full of shit, it goes into "MARILYN MANSON WITH A MARILYN MONROE WIG MAKING A MILLION DOLLARS". Anyone can do that, anyone with Photoshop at least.

It was all a hoax, hence the title. It was all about how street art is commercial now. Everything is commercial. Genius doc, because on one hand it really has a lot of awesome footage of grafitti and street artists. But by the end it's obviously all a big joke, and a hilarious one at that, especially if you've ever been around a bunch of snobby "artists".

The scene with Thierry in the wheelbarrow after "breaking his leg" sold it for me and from then on out is when it started getting more and more absurd, and hilariously so. Genius doc.

So, Banksy -- one of the most hilarious and brilliant artists of all time -- made a con, make a hoax, made "art" out of another person and sold it right back to the "art world" he despises. Brilliant.

It works on SO MANY levels. Banksy is such an amazing artist, period. Though it's easy to dismiss it as "occasionally clever stencil crap". Just like I'm sure it's easy for some people to dismiss this doc. Still, it is a brilliantly layered work where the less you know going in, the better.

If you just want a simple documentary about art being bullshit, watch MY KID COULD PAINT THAT.

Old 02.26.2011, 07:48 PM   #14148
Sonic Youth 37
invito al cielo

Location: if there is a bright spot in the universe, the farthest point from it
Sonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's asses

It was pretty good. Bill was a little under/mis-used for my taste. Great performance by Duvall.
Old 02.27.2011, 12:20 AM   #14149
Dr. Eugene Felikson
invito al cielo

Old 02.27.2011, 01:21 AM   #14150
deflinus
expwy. to yr skull

deflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's asses

deflinus is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.27.2011, 07:24 AM   #14151
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

I have every episode of MST3K ever, and I always thought the "movie" was the worst thing they ever produced. Hell, THIS ISLAND EARTH is actually a pretty cool movie!

Old 02.27.2011, 11:49 AM   #14152
deflinus
expwy. to yr skull

deflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's asses
haha the movie wasn't that bad at all. it could have been a lot worse. the show was better though i agree
deflinus is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.27.2011, 12:08 PM   #14153
Dr. Eugene Felikson
invito al cielo

Lately, whenever I try to watch an episode of MST3K, I just want everyone to shut up, so I can watch the movie for what it is. The running commentary grates against my nerves now, and I find it more aggravating than amusing.

Old 02.27.2011, 03:11 PM   #14154
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

..?!

Well, you're in luck, many of the official MST3K movies can be flipped over and you can watch the original film versions without those "aggravating" commentaries! Have fun with EEGAH!!!!!!!!!!

...in all seriousness, though, am I the only person who thinks MANOS is actually an awesoem film? It's creepy as HELL.

Old 02.27.2011, 04:17 PM   #14155
Pelle
expwy. to yr skull

Pelle kicks all y'all's assesPelle kicks all y'all's assesPelle kicks all y'all's assesPelle kicks all y'all's assesPelle kicks all y'all's assesPelle kicks all y'all's assesPelle kicks all y'all's assesPelle kicks all y'all's assesPelle kicks all y'all's assesPelle kicks all y'all's assesPelle kicks all y'all's asses
Accepted - crappy american college-comedy, bla bla bla...
i laughed sometimes...but nothing to "hang in the tree" so to speak...
Pelle is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.27.2011, 04:35 PM   #14156
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
The Banksy movie was great fun but the Thierry "character" was a complete fabrication. he was always just a paid crew member of Banksy's street crew. Most big modern artists work the exact same way, with a crew of younger artists essentially fabricating the art and the artists just comes up with ideas. it is bullshit way to make art IMO but so what? My hated enemy Thomas KInkaid does the same shit and makes millions.
Old 02.27.2011, 04:35 PM   #14157
Dr. Eugene Felikson
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by atsonicpark
..?!

Well, you're in luck, many of the official MST3K movies can be flipped over and you can watch the original film versions without those "aggravating" commentaries! Have fun with EEGAH!!!!!!!!!!

...in all seriousness, though, am I the only person who thinks MANOS is actually an awesoem film? It's creepy as HELL.

Haha I used to love the show when I'd catch it on SciFi Channel as a kid, but now it just reminds me of watching a movie with someone who won't shut the fuck up. Something in me goes "Shut up guys! Won't you just give the movie a chance?"

It is a cool blast from the past, and the theme song still makes me laugh. I'm just a cranky old man now. And for the record, I too love Manos.

Old 02.27.2011, 06:16 PM   #14158
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
My hated enemy Thomas KInkaid does the same shit and makes millions.

not anymore brother! celebrate!!!!

http://www.npr.org/2010/11/22/131517...thomas-kinkade

the cunt is in DEEP SHIT.

his store in my neighborhood shut down months ago. w00t!

soon you'll be able to piss on your enemy's grave.

(well ok, reading further, not so soon, but his albuquerque store is no more. i thought you'd enjoy hearing that)

ps- i think this system of younger students working for the master was already in place in the renaissance though.
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.27.2011, 07:35 PM   #14159
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
Most busy in demand artists have indeed always had a stable of art biotches
Old 02.27.2011, 07:37 PM   #14160
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

I will -fuppet- the shit out of the kinkaid empire erosion!
608658698705706707 708 7097107117187588081208 > »
-->

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth