Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page Weirdest #1 Single...Crazy World Of Arthur Brown
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 03.03.2007, 05:17 PM   #1
dazedcola
the end of the ugly

dazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's asses
I can only figure a nation on drugs could ever make this song a #1 hit. Its like bizarre psychedelic r&b talking about how you're gonna burn.

You got to watch the video of him performing his song on top fo the pops its disturbing. Especially his flaming hat !

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oD6NvBhwVtE

His music is a real unique thing from the 60s, nothing like him. Anyone else ever heard of this guy ? I checked out his song "fire" and really enjoyed it.

I dont think anything can beat this as the strangest most popular song.
Ill meet ya on the next one
And dont be late "
-Jimi Hendrix

...And me just another dream theory, lost inside your eye

"when my mind's uncertain my body decides
what it will do to get through the hell of the night
as I trip on the ocean that leads through your eyes
well my eyes can't wait til they finally see through you"
dazedcola is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.03.2007, 06:46 PM   #2
Everyneurotic
invito al cielo

Everyneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's asses
the crazy world of arthur brown is classic!!! the s/t album is a pretty fucked psych album, fucked in a good way. fire is one of my favorite songs ever.

arthur brown later went solo and also recorded with/as kingdom come in the the 70's; i understand kingdom come sounds more like hawkwind or something.
Everyneurotic is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.04.2007, 04:39 AM   #3
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
Another choice for weirdest no. 1 - Laurie Anderson. 8 minutes long, NY arty type, Monotonal, pop-minimalism. It's brilliant, of course, but it baffles me how it got to no. 1.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.05.2007, 06:25 AM   #4
jimbrim
expwy. to yr skull

jimbrim kicks all y'all's assesjimbrim kicks all y'all's assesjimbrim kicks all y'all's assesjimbrim kicks all y'all's assesjimbrim kicks all y'all's assesjimbrim kicks all y'all's assesjimbrim kicks all y'all's assesjimbrim kicks all y'all's assesjimbrim kicks all y'all's assesjimbrim kicks all y'all's assesjimbrim kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glice
Another choice for weirdest no. 1 - Laurie Anderson. 8 minutes long, NY arty type, Monotonal, pop-minimalism. It's brilliant, of course, but it baffles me how it got to no. 1.

Is that 'O Superman'? (i cant look at that youtube clip cos im at school and its blocked) however its such a beautiful track and the fact that it reached no. 1 is incredible.
Apparently it caused a great deal of outrage on its release so maybe that was something to do with the attention it recieved?
jimbrim is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.05.2007, 02:31 PM   #5
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
Yep, that's the one. My Dad, whose record collection could easily be described as 'incredibly conservative', has a copy of the single, but has no idea why.

And, on that note, Wuthering Heights by Kate Bush is pretty odd.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.05.2007, 04:50 PM   #6
hey alex
the end of the ugly

hey alex kicks all y'all's asseshey alex kicks all y'all's asseshey alex kicks all y'all's asseshey alex kicks all y'all's asseshey alex kicks all y'all's asseshey alex kicks all y'all's asseshey alex kicks all y'all's asseshey alex kicks all y'all's asseshey alex kicks all y'all's asseshey alex kicks all y'all's asseshey alex kicks all y'all's asses
wow, arthr brown's a fuckin mad man. That was awesome.

O superman sounds strange... this went to 1?
Duran Duran's 1995 covers album Thank You was recently voted the worst album of all time by a Q magazine poll. Although we respectfully disagree (Sonic Youth's NYC Ghosts & Flowers is clearly the worst album of all time) -Pitchfork (hahahah!)

Here's a myspace of my music and 4-track ramblings
the electric kites--the jamz of me n my friends
hey alex is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth