Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Sonic Gossip
Reload this Page Düsseldorf Gig
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 04.24.2009, 08:19 PM   #1
al shabbray

I am back after a 3 hours ride with the car.
first thoughts: Kick ass tracklist, especially Xpressway as the closer was perfect, always wanted to see it live.
Thurstons totally srewed 100% version was pure awesome bliss too.

who was the guy with the recording device in the middle of the front row?
hope the recordings went well, I want them!!!!

I havent met anybody, was the one with the plain brown tee, blue jeans and grey chucks. argh, I was completely too late for the exhibition which sucked big times, I managed to drive the wrong way despite I got a navigation unit on board...
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.24.2009, 10:38 PM   #2
joe11121
expwy. to yr skull

joe11121 kicks all y'all's assesjoe11121 kicks all y'all's assesjoe11121 kicks all y'all's assesjoe11121 kicks all y'all's assesjoe11121 kicks all y'all's assesjoe11121 kicks all y'all's assesjoe11121 kicks all y'all's assesjoe11121 kicks all y'all's assesjoe11121 kicks all y'all's assesjoe11121 kicks all y'all's assesjoe11121 kicks all y'all's asses
Do you have the full setlist?
joe11121 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.24.2009, 10:39 PM   #3
joe11121
expwy. to yr skull

joe11121 kicks all y'all's assesjoe11121 kicks all y'all's assesjoe11121 kicks all y'all's assesjoe11121 kicks all y'all's assesjoe11121 kicks all y'all's assesjoe11121 kicks all y'all's assesjoe11121 kicks all y'all's assesjoe11121 kicks all y'all's assesjoe11121 kicks all y'all's assesjoe11121 kicks all y'all's assesjoe11121 kicks all y'all's asses
Nevermind, I found it on another thread. Looks like a kick ass setlist, then again most SY shows have a great list.
joe11121 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.25.2009, 12:24 AM   #4
lukin
bad moon rising

lukin kicks all y'all's asseslukin kicks all y'all's asseslukin kicks all y'all's asseslukin kicks all y'all's asseslukin kicks all y'all's asseslukin kicks all y'all's asseslukin kicks all y'all's asseslukin kicks all y'all's asseslukin kicks all y'all's asseslukin kicks all y'all's asseslukin kicks all y'all's asses
Here is the setlist:
No way, calming the snake, bull in the heather, tim violence, hey joni, the sprawl, cross the breeze, antenna, sacred trickster, what we know, jams run free, pink steam-------schizophrenia, 100%(with thurstoon just screaming the last verse with just the mic, since his guitar fucked up)------shaking hell, expressway.

Just an amazing show, the band was full on, the crowd was great, the songs was great, the sound was great. I got my tiom violence and schizphrenia live virginity wich was really great. And the sprawl is always just so beutiful
lukin is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.25.2009, 03:44 AM   #5
mil_pl
expwy. to yr skull

mil_pl kicks all y'all's assesmil_pl kicks all y'all's assesmil_pl kicks all y'all's assesmil_pl kicks all y'all's assesmil_pl kicks all y'all's assesmil_pl kicks all y'all's assesmil_pl kicks all y'all's assesmil_pl kicks all y'all's assesmil_pl kicks all y'all's assesmil_pl kicks all y'all's assesmil_pl kicks all y'all's asses
how were the new songs, Al?

mil_pl is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.25.2009, 04:56 AM   #6
al shabbray

I completely agree with lukin! plu the xpress way virginitiy.

I really liked the venues size. the sound was good indeed, vocals were sometimes too calm, but could depend on my front-left position.

@mil_pl
I really really liked them!! I am looking forward to that album, they rock pretty hard live, and there were some moments where I ws just blown away. what not really happened with most of the RR tracks.

Who bought what Shirt?
ive bought myself the Eye-one, love the color and the print!
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.25.2009, 05:20 AM   #7
Piepi
little trouble girl

Piepi kicks all y'all's assesPiepi kicks all y'all's assesPiepi kicks all y'all's assesPiepi kicks all y'all's assesPiepi kicks all y'all's assesPiepi kicks all y'all's assesPiepi kicks all y'all's assesPiepi kicks all y'all's assesPiepi kicks all y'all's assesPiepi kicks all y'all's assesPiepi kicks all y'all's asses
Hehe, ja hier ist auch einer mit nem Auge-Shirt
Piepi is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.25.2009, 05:32 AM   #8
al shabbray

so muss es sein!!!!
sieht aber auch einfach nur zu geil aus
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.25.2009, 05:45 AM   #9
mil_pl
expwy. to yr skull

mil_pl kicks all y'all's assesmil_pl kicks all y'all's assesmil_pl kicks all y'all's assesmil_pl kicks all y'all's assesmil_pl kicks all y'all's assesmil_pl kicks all y'all's assesmil_pl kicks all y'all's assesmil_pl kicks all y'all's assesmil_pl kicks all y'all's assesmil_pl kicks all y'all's assesmil_pl kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by al shabbray
@mil_pl
I really really liked them!! I am looking forward to that album, they rock pretty hard live, and there were some moments where I ws just blown away. what not really happened with most of the RR tracks.

so we will see on tuesday, you just made me listen to that album higher
I didn't make it to go on that gig... money kept me in poland, shit. hope that they will be around in europe for holidays time, it will be easier for me to catch them.

Old 04.25.2009, 03:06 PM   #10
EvdWee
100%

EvdWee cold hard suckaEvdWee cold hard suckaEvdWee cold hard suckaEvdWee cold hard suckaEvdWee cold hard suckaEvdWee cold hard suckaEvdWee cold hard suckaEvdWee cold hard suckaEvdWee cold hard suckaEvdWee cold hard suckaEvdWee cold hard sucka
considered to buy the black shirt (eye?) but 20 euros is too much.

i was in front of lee and kim. second song blew me away (calming the snake). cross the breeze was madness upfront.
EvdWee is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.25.2009, 03:15 PM   #11
pulsar
little trouble girl

pulsar has a brilliant futurepulsar has a brilliant futurepulsar has a brilliant futurepulsar has a brilliant futurepulsar has a brilliant futurepulsar has a brilliant futurepulsar has a brilliant futurepulsar has a brilliant futurepulsar has a brilliant futurepulsar has a brilliant futurepulsar has a brilliant future
for some reason the show just didnt blew me as previous shows. they didnt seem to be into playing too much, which i found strange, as it was a special gig with their exhibit being shown in düsseldorf. kim looked bored and not really outgoing, thurston kept his usual noise attacks to a limit, which ended in a "standard" noise jam in the end. besides the 100% fuckup there was nothing really spectacular. only kim doesnt seem to know the lyrics to their new songs yet, she had to have a sheet of lyrics taped to her mic stand. but still as someone said TOM VIOLENCE + SCHIZO!! that made my night
Old 04.26.2009, 01:01 AM   #12
blunderbuss
invito al cielo

blunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's asses
I'd like to see them doing a different final encore - they've been doing Expressway... for ages now, and it would be nice to see something new.
blunderbuss is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.26.2009, 01:07 AM   #13
Chris Lawrence

Chris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's asses
if it ain't broke, don't fix it.
http://www.sonicyouth.com/mustang // original folk blues ... . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .i'm the boy that can enjoy invisibility. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Chris Lawrence is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.26.2009, 05:19 AM   #14
nicfit
invito al cielo

nicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by blunderbuss
I'd like to see them doing a different final encore - they've been doing Expressway... for ages now, and it would be nice to see something new.
Do you remember what happened when someone asked Lee to end with The Diamond Sea, no?
Besides, I've never seen Exp live yet ?!?!
11:11 11-11-11 I Ascended.
nicfit is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.26.2009, 06:12 AM   #15
pulsar
little trouble girl

pulsar has a brilliant futurepulsar has a brilliant futurepulsar has a brilliant futurepulsar has a brilliant futurepulsar has a brilliant futurepulsar has a brilliant futurepulsar has a brilliant futurepulsar has a brilliant futurepulsar has a brilliant futurepulsar has a brilliant futurepulsar has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicfit
Do you remember what happened when someone asked Lee to end with The Diamond Sea, no?
Besides, I've never seen Exp live yet ?!?!

what happened, im curious now?
Old 04.26.2009, 06:21 AM   #16
Chris Lawrence

Chris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's asses
it took me FOREVER to finally hear 'expressway' live and quite honestly, i can't imagine ever getting tired of hearing it. i never get to see SY do improv gigs so i always enjoy when a solid 10+ minutes of their set is just them making a glorious racket.

that said, it would be cool to have 'expressway' share the 2nd encore privileges w/ a similarily noisy 'diamond sea'...
http://www.sonicyouth.com/mustang // original folk blues ... . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .i'm the boy that can enjoy invisibility. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Chris Lawrence is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.26.2009, 06:29 AM   #17
nicfit
invito al cielo

nicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by pulsar
what happened, im curious now?
Well, nothing too interesting, he basically said that they don't know how to play it , meaning that they'd need to properly reharse it before putting it back into concerts' setlists, most likely...so, unless they "decide" to practice it before a tour, I think it's difficult to see it come up randomly on some dates..
11:11 11-11-11 I Ascended.
nicfit is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.26.2009, 10:22 AM   #18
killthecaliforniagirls
little trouble girl

killthecaliforniagirls cold hard suckakillthecaliforniagirls cold hard suckakillthecaliforniagirls cold hard suckakillthecaliforniagirls cold hard suckakillthecaliforniagirls cold hard suckakillthecaliforniagirls cold hard suckakillthecaliforniagirls cold hard suckakillthecaliforniagirls cold hard suckakillthecaliforniagirls cold hard suckakillthecaliforniagirls cold hard suckakillthecaliforniagirls cold hard sucka
i´m totally with pulsar. i just thought they weren´t much into playing. but that´s a hard thing to sight. i totally missed murray street, sonic nurse, nyc ghosts and flowers and WASHING MACHINE. and i have to admit that i think that the new stuff is kind of lame (except sacred trickster).
killthecaliforniagirls is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.26.2009, 01:22 PM   #19
Bal
the end of the ugly

Bal kicks all y'all's assesBal kicks all y'all's assesBal kicks all y'all's assesBal kicks all y'all's assesBal kicks all y'all's assesBal kicks all y'all's assesBal kicks all y'all's assesBal kicks all y'all's assesBal kicks all y'all's assesBal kicks all y'all's assesBal kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by pulsar
for some reason the show just didnt blew me as previous shows. they didnt seem to be into playing too much, which i found strange, as it was a special gig with their exhibit being shown in düsseldorf. kim looked bored and not really outgoing, thurston kept his usual noise attacks to a limit, which ended in a "standard" noise jam in the end. besides the 100% fuckup there was nothing really spectacular. only kim doesnt seem to know the lyrics to their new songs yet, she had to have a sheet of lyrics taped to her mic stand. but still as someone said TOM VIOLENCE + SCHIZO!! that made my night

i had the same feeling in munich the day before.

Bal is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.26.2009, 02:28 PM   #20
mil_pl
expwy. to yr skull

Antenna sounds very very good.

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth