Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page louder's hip-hop café VI
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 12.13.2017, 08:39 AM   #961
evollove
invito al cielo

evollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's asses
Kendrick was interviewed on Howard Stern yesterday!
evollove is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.13.2017, 10:19 AM   #962
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by louder
"Hold a uzi vertical, let the thing smoke
Y'all flirting with death, I be winking through the scope
Shout out to all the murderers turned murals
Plural, fuck the Federal Bureau!!"

OH SHIT BABY.

Good luck to Nas in 2018 when he gives us his best shot at outdoing this album.

Yeah, that’s a great line. We’ve talked about it a few times now.

It’s weird that he song “4:44” is he track that’s up for the Best Song Grammy (which exists ostensibly to honor great songwriting), when there are so many better instances of actual lyrical awesomeness on that record.

I actually think “Marcy Me” is one of the most well-written songs Kay has ever made. Not only does it, like, make fucking sense and shit, but it also just flows off the tongue, it’s smart, it’s clever, it MEANS something.... and it really does feel like Jay’s lining up new rapper and just plugging them off one by one from a book depository somewhere.

Anyway, whatever. Grammy cares about celebrity and the Beyoncé/Jay dialogue is what they think is the important part. Dumbasses.
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.13.2017, 10:27 AM   #963
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
My song of the year, if anybody cares, is "Marcy Me". Followed by "DUCKWORTH", "Smile", "XXX", "The Story of OJ" and "YAH".. I could go on back and forth between those two basically.

Mainstream hits I appreciated were "Crew" (I was so happy to see this song blow up and it was even nominated for a Grammy.. Brent Faiyaz killed that hook!!), "Sky Walker", "Bad & Boujee", "XO Tour Life" (already kinda sick of it now though) and the molly percocets song (y'all know which one I'm talking about).

I dunno about mine. I really liked that Calvin Harris (I know, shut up) and Frank Ocean song, “Slide.” But more in an “I appreciate that this is a really good pop single” way than in whatever way I usually appreciate Frank’s music.

Definitely wasn’t my *favorite* song.

Probably listened to DNA./YAH./ELEMENT. more than any other 2017 songs. Actually I probably listened to 4:44 (all of it) more than anything else this year, but that album just doesn’t hit quite like DAMN. does.

Almost positive DAMN. is my *easy* album of the year chloce, not just in hip-hop be in music overall. I think this is the first time my favorite album has been an Album of the Year nominee. Hmm. I’m getting old and lame.

I’ll do a perfunctory Top Ten Albums list. It’ll probably be super easy actually. In 2015 it took me... well, well into 2016 go actually finish my shit. And in 2016 I had some many albums I loved that when I decided to pare down my then-normal Top 50-or-so to a top 10, it took me forever to sort that shit out.

This year it’s just gonna be ... whatever ten albums I listened to more than twice.
Old 12.13.2017, 10:37 AM   #964
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Originally Posted by louder
"Hold a uzi vertical, let the thing smoke
Y'all flirting with death, I be winking through the scope
Shout out to all the murderers turned murals
Plural, fuck the Federal Bureau!!"

“Shout out to Nostrand Ave., Flushing Ave., Myrtle
All the County of Kings, may your grounds stay fertile
Shout out to Big Poppa, Daddy Kane, heroes
Thus concluding my concerto
Marcy me”

I fucking love that ... “Thus concluding my concerto.”
What a line.
Old 12.13.2017, 11:30 AM   #965
evollove
invito al cielo

evollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's asses
I'm not sure who even votes for Grammy awards, but DAMN has made it to the top of enough year-end lists that I think he'll get the gold.

Quote:
Talib Kweli got Jay Electronica, Waka Flocka, BJ the Chicago Kid, Anderson .Paak, Rick Ross and Bilal on his new album. Interesting.

I think Radio Silence is another solid TK album. He is quietly building up a very respectable discography. One of these days he'll release a best-of and maybe everyone will acknowledge his greatness. I don't always think he has the greatest taste in beats, but I love his flow and he's definitely one of the good guys.
Old 12.13.2017, 11:42 AM   #966
evollove
invito al cielo

!!! I just went to go listen to Radio Silence on youtube and read this comment:

Talib is low-key crafting one of the biggest and most comprehensive discographies for a rapper ever created. When he's on his 20th album and people finally respect him like they should all of these will become retroactive classics.

youtube comments are so wise.
Old 12.13.2017, 11:52 AM   #967
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by evollove
!!! I just went to go listen to Radio Silence on youtube and read this comment:

Talib is low-key crafting one of the biggest and most comprehensive discographies for a rapper ever created. When he's on his 20th album and people finally respect him like they should all of these will become retroactive classics.

youtube comments are so wise.

Talib used to have pretty broad recognition. He was on a level with, say, MF Doom at one point, but he’s faded from the relative spotlight (like Doom) because he doesn’t give a fuck about the spotlight. Anyone who knows hip-hop and isn’t an idiot knows he’s a legend of lyrical hip-hop. He’s reverted in semi-underground circles, and he was basically he face of “Conscious” for a good five years.

But without doing anything drastically new sonically, he sounds like an artifact at this point. But... man, he’s a legend. That’s the one-half of BlackStar that’s still making decent rap music right there!

Talib and Common both suffer from the same disease: awesomeness in a former decade. But it’s still awesomeness.

I haven’t heard the new one yet.
Old 12.13.2017, 12:05 PM   #968
evollove
invito al cielo

No new ground broken. Just a solid spin. Like always.

He's one of, like, three rappers I've been following for a few years and I'm so glad he exists.
Old 12.13.2017, 12:08 PM   #969
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
No new ground broken. Just a solid spin. Like always.

He's one of, like, three rappers I've been following for a few years and I'm so glad he exists.

Well, he is pretty great. When Jay Z takes time out of his supposed last album to lament how he was not what another rapper was, that rapper is just a fucking legend. Period.

I forget what the last Talib album I bought was, but I think I’ll spin this new one.
Old 12.14.2017, 09:46 AM   #970
louder
invito al cielo

louder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asses
Listened to the Eminem album out of curiosity.

I expected bad, but not THAT bad. My advice? DON'T LISTEN TO IT!

It's basically MMLP2 meets Recovery, but worse.

Memorable lines:

“But Marshall, you are terrific, so smart and gifted
I'm so narcissistic, when I fart, I sniff it”

“You got buns I got aspergers”

He said that it's his last album. One can only hope. Please go away, Eminem.
louder is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.14.2017, 09:51 AM   #971
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
Listened to the Eminem album out of curiosity.

I expected bad, but not THAT bad. My advice? DON'T LISTEN TO IT!

It's basically MMLP2 meets Recovery, but worse.

Memorable lines:

“But Marshall, you are terrific, so smart and gifted
I'm so narcissistic, when I fart, I sniff it”

“You got buns I got aspergers”

He said that it's his last album. One can only hope. Please go away, Eminem.

I previewed it on Apple Music and it is ABSURDLY TERRIBLE, OH MY GOD.

I don’t care if he’s trash-talking republicans or white redneck America... that’s admirable, but the way he’s doing it soinds freaking DISGUSTING.

He should quit. Like, seriously. Quit. Go be a politician if he wants to make a difference.

IT’S SERIOUSLY SO BAD
Old 12.14.2017, 02:02 PM   #972
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
Young Thug and Future's Mixtape, SUPER SLIMEY, is the best hip hop release of the past 3 months. Love it.
Old 12.14.2017, 09:26 PM   #973
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
Young Thug and Future's Mixtape, SUPER SLIMEY, is the best hip hop release of the past 3 months. Love it.

Oh my no. It’s just the same exact ridiculous boring beat and ridiculous boring flow repeated what feels like a million times. It’s truly a mediocre pile of shit.

Talib’s new album came out in the last three months, and owns the crap out of these two assholes jerking each other off and making the same sounds over and over with their stupid mouths.

(I’m being a dick because I’m still cashing in on all the times you’ve been a dick about Kanye, but all joking aside, this album is TERRIBLE.)

Have you not bother to listen to Rhapsody? Or Kamiyah? Jesus man.
Old 12.15.2017, 02:31 AM   #974
louder
invito al cielo

louder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asses
Ok so yesterday BLACK THOUGHT dropped a legendary freestyle on Flex. One of the best in hip hop's history, seriously!! This shit was so ill that it got him the #1 spot on the trending chart on Twitter. Go ahead and WATCH IT!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=prmQgSpV3fA
Old 12.15.2017, 09:15 AM   #975
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
IT IS AWESOME. 100 bangers the whole way through. SUPER SLIMEY!!!!!!

Old 12.15.2017, 11:41 AM   #976
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
IT IS AWESOME. 100 bangers the whole way through. SUPER SLIMEY!!!!!!

Same shitty song 30 times.

I kept listening, actually hoping and WANTING to hear some variety, but it never came. It’s like being smacked in the face with a pillow over and over and over again until your skin is too numb to feel the barely-there impact.
Old 12.15.2017, 01:32 PM   #977
evollove
invito al cielo

Quote:
Ok so yesterday BLACK THOUGHT dropped a legendary freestyle on Flex. One of the best in hip hop's history, seriously!! This shit was so ill that it got him the #1 spot on the trending chart on Twitter. Go ahead and WATCH IT!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=prmQgSpV3fA

Ho Lee Shiiiitttt!!! Mind blown. Jaw on floor. This is the greatest thing ever. I have no problem spending an hour listening to this six times in a row.
Old 12.15.2017, 01:54 PM   #978
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Severian
Same shitty song 30 times.

I kept listening, actually hoping and WANTING to hear some variety, but it never came. It’s like being smacked in the face with a pillow over and over and over again until your skin is too numb to feel the barely-there impact.

listening to trap for variety is like listening to Kanye for altruism.
Old 12.15.2017, 01:56 PM   #979
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

I love some Roots albums but I always feel they shold have another rapper alongside Black Thought. I get tired of his flow on the albums. He needs a mix-it-up, like Fugazi with Picciotto and McKay. It helps keep it fresh
Old 12.15.2017, 02:03 PM   #980
louder
invito al cielo

Quote:
Ho Lee Shiiiitttt!!! Mind blown. Jaw on floor. This is the greatest thing ever. I have no problem spending an hour listening to this six times in a row.
Fuck yeah man. Black Thought is so underrated. Here are the lyrics: https://genius.com/Black-thought-hot...eestyle-lyrics

That freestyle reminded me that he had a guest appearance on Freddie Gibbs' album two years ago where he went verse for verse with him and completely washed him. And that was impressive as hell because Gibbs is a very strong MC himself, the kind that rarely ever gets outshined on a track. Truly left me in awe.
464748 49 505152 >
-->

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth