Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page did you go to university/college?
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: did you go to uni?, do you plan to go?
yes i went, or i plan to go when im old enough 60 85.71%
no i didn't go, or i won't go in the future 10 14.29%
Voters: 70. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05.02.2006, 04:51 PM   #21
3x1minus1
little trouble girl

3x1minus1 kicks all y'all's asses3x1minus1 kicks all y'all's asses3x1minus1 kicks all y'all's asses3x1minus1 kicks all y'all's asses3x1minus1 kicks all y'all's asses3x1minus1 kicks all y'all's asses3x1minus1 kicks all y'all's asses3x1minus1 kicks all y'all's asses3x1minus1 kicks all y'all's asses3x1minus1 kicks all y'all's asses3x1minus1 kicks all y'all's asses
hm, i can't really answer either one. i'm currently attending, on and off. college is cool sometimes, though... the past two semesters i had profs that played sonic youth in class. of course, these are art-related classes, so .. but yeah.
3x1minus1 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.02.2006, 04:53 PM   #22
Pablitzen
the destroyed room

Pablitzen is a splendid one to beholdPablitzen is a splendid one to beholdPablitzen is a splendid one to beholdPablitzen is a splendid one to beholdPablitzen is a splendid one to beholdPablitzen is a splendid one to beholdPablitzen is a splendid one to beholdPablitzen is a splendid one to behold
I just finished on december...i'm waiting to take a final exam (in june) to can definitively be a graduate
Old 05.02.2006, 04:55 PM   #23
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
i have a friend who had a BA in photography w/ a minor in spanish.

she now works as a substitute teacher.

not such an uncommon scenario. school can suck balls unless you have a specific goal in mind.

these days, education is by necessity an ongoing process. so there are plenty of opportunities for adult education. no reason it should start & stop when you don't yet have a clue about what you want to do with your life.

& an academic education is nice, but has little to do with real life.
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.02.2006, 05:24 PM   #24
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
Uni is well worth it in my mind. Not for any reasons of getting a job or whatever - the majority of people are pretty fucked and never going to get a job - but at least it's a detraction from the real world for a bit, and you'll be finding out whether or not you really do love whatever you're doing.

I do kind of agree with the fact that photographers make it whether they go to Uni or not - but I think this misses the fact that you're having time away, on a leash, getting a bit of independence and finding out about yourself and all that hippy gash that people say. Although I do bemoan film studies students quite frequently, but that's mainly because nearly every one I know is, in fact, a stoner who doesn't really want to do anything but watch films. Actually, that's true of most students - the number of philosophy students I met who used Uni as a skive from life was preposterous, and utterly contrary to the amount of work you need to put in to such a course...

Still. Yes. Go to Uni, it's great, don't worry about debt, you're probably going to be fucked by credit cards and the like any way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.02.2006, 05:33 PM   #25
thewall91
children of satan

thewall91 kicks all y'all's assesthewall91 kicks all y'all's assesthewall91 kicks all y'all's assesthewall91 kicks all y'all's assesthewall91 kicks all y'all's assesthewall91 kicks all y'all's assesthewall91 kicks all y'all's assesthewall91 kicks all y'all's assesthewall91 kicks all y'all's assesthewall91 kicks all y'all's assesthewall91 kicks all y'all's asses
i guess this sounds unpopular, but i vote school first, then travel. the main reasons for school were stated above; not for the actual "education" that you'll receive, but more for the social aspects and contacts. school really isn't about brain candy so much as it is for meeting people, and in the art field it is good to feed off of other people. travelling by yourself will expose you to new things, but you'll need feedback that you might not necessarily get outside a classroom environment. unless you're extremely outgoing, travelling solo can be lonelier than you think. i only have a two-year degree, but with that degree i've gotten to travel extensively with my work post-college, and make good money while doing it. you can also explore schools that have semester-abroad programs.

luckily, with the camera, you should be able to do some work outside school and continue building a travel fund while you're attending. don't be afraid to look at other ways to make money with your camera. you may just be interested in artistic photography, but portrait work pays well, and you can make a killing in a day with wedding photography. my mom's a wedding photographer and depending on your area you can make a minimum of $1000 a day and probably max out at $5000. school during the week, one wedding a saturday, by the end of the summer wedding season you have enough to travel for a year.
thewall91 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.02.2006, 05:47 PM   #26
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glice
Uni is well worth it in my mind. Not for any reasons of getting a job or whatever - the majority of people are pretty fucked and never going to get a job - but at least it's a detraction from the real world for a bit, and you'll be finding out whether or not you really do love whatever you're doing.

I do kind of agree with the fact that photographers make it whether they go to Uni or not - but I think this misses the fact that you're having time away, on a leash, getting a bit of independence and finding out about yourself and all that hippy gash that people say. Although I do bemoan film studies students quite frequently, but that's mainly because nearly every one I know is, in fact, a stoner who doesn't really want to do anything but watch films. Actually, that's true of most students - the number of philosophy students I met who used Uni as a skive from life was preposterous, and utterly contrary to the amount of work you need to put in to such a course...

Still. Yes. Go to Uni, it's great, don't worry about debt, you're probably going to be fucked by credit cards and the like any way.

but professor-- you're studying philosophy. if im guessing right, you might have an academic career in mind. hence your education is a prerequisite, not an option.

im not discounting the value of an education. on the contrary, i think it's a great thing. but often times it tends to be overvalued and entered into without proper consideration-- almost as a reflex. and that (not necessarily the demands of it) is why so many people flunk out or end up with useless degrees.

i encourage people who want an education to get one. but i advise people who are not sure if they want one to pursue other things until the time comes when they truly need one.

i have taught college students and i can testify: adult students are better and work harder than spoiled partygoers trying to appease their parents. because one group wants it badly, and the other is more concerned with getting high.
Old 05.02.2006, 05:58 PM   #27
Savage Clone
invito al cielo

Savage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's asses
I will say that many professors I had were insufferable, self-important boobs who required that you see the world through their lens in order to get the grade.
Pandering is so fun, especially when it costs thousands of dollars.
I also found it no more challenging than High School.
Savage Clone is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.02.2006, 08:19 PM   #28
qprogeny79
stalker

qprogeny79 kicks all y'all's assesqprogeny79 kicks all y'all's assesqprogeny79 kicks all y'all's assesqprogeny79 kicks all y'all's assesqprogeny79 kicks all y'all's assesqprogeny79 kicks all y'all's assesqprogeny79 kicks all y'all's assesqprogeny79 kicks all y'all's assesqprogeny79 kicks all y'all's assesqprogeny79 kicks all y'all's assesqprogeny79 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
I will say that many professors I had were insufferable, self-important boobs who required that you see the world through their lens in order to get the grade.
Pandering is so fun, especially when it costs thousands of dollars.
I also found it no more challenging than High School.

i can relate to that. i have a professor this semester who has had us read two of his articles, and virtually every time he discusses a theory he has us memorize his criticisms of it. in another class (taught by another professor) we had to read almost half of one of his books. he's nice enough, but his personal views really aren't that important in the grand scheme of things.

that said, i say do the education thing. i've discovered that if there's one thing that will make or break your interest in something, it's intensive study at a university. case in point: i'm majoring in math and philosophy. while i loved math in high school, it is quickly becoming absolutely insufferable to me. on the other hand, i love philosophy (primarily because i'm obsessed with arguing to get at the truth), and my discovery that i like it just as much as i thought i did when i first started taking philosophy courses has been one factor in persuading me to go to law school.

so if you decide after a year of doing nothing but studying photography that you really hate photography, you can always go try other things (and it's always good to learn that sooner rather than later). on the other hand, if you decide you like it, an academic degree in it can do nothing but help you.
qprogeny79 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.03.2006, 02:13 AM   #29
truncated
invito al cielo

truncated kicks all y'all's assestruncated kicks all y'all's assestruncated kicks all y'all's assestruncated kicks all y'all's assestruncated kicks all y'all's assestruncated kicks all y'all's assestruncated kicks all y'all's assestruncated kicks all y'all's assestruncated kicks all y'all's assestruncated kicks all y'all's assestruncated kicks all y'all's asses
Meeting people in college is overrated.

In fact, meeting people period is overrated. But doing so in such 'forced' circumstances is especially so.

However, this mostly holds true for me because I am spectacular, and highly entertaining, and do not require backup.

Anyhow-

I went to college. Dropped out. Went to another. Dropped out. Repeated said process two more times. I moved a lot. In between, I did some travelling, but that's because I have the attention span of a dalmation.

College is for the most part, I suspect, an evil necessity - that piece of paper is often quite the wheel-greaser, regardless of chosen profession. However, I am quite certain that it is one of the most elaborate, successful scams ever manufactured in the history of global society.

There is nothing - and I mean NOTHING - you can learn in college that you cannot learn through your own initiative and interaction with your surroundings. This is where actual socializing and your local library serve their respective purposes. And if you are not invested enough in your chosen field of study to pursue it independently, then you shouldn't undertake it to begin with.

So my vote - do whatever tickles your fancy. As !@#$%! so eruditely pointed out, if you're not enthusiastic about it, you will fail anyhow, so it's wisest to just go with your instincts. My college 'career' was halted and disjointed, but if I hadn't taken those much-needed hiatuses, I'd be in medical school, and you'd collectively have to fear for your lives.

I generally find that most people who laud university are pompous academic asses who go to coffeeshops for 'atmosphere' rather than a good espresso. They wear way too much corduroy, use real big words 'n that, never have good junk food in the house, and never let you watch cartoons. Insufferable bastards.

Use your photography skills to take illicit naked photos of your neighbors, sell them on the internet, and then travel off of the profits.
truncated is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.03.2006, 02:39 AM   #30
RockerNino
bad moon rising

RockerNino kicks all y'all's assesRockerNino kicks all y'all's assesRockerNino kicks all y'all's assesRockerNino kicks all y'all's assesRockerNino kicks all y'all's assesRockerNino kicks all y'all's assesRockerNino kicks all y'all's assesRockerNino kicks all y'all's assesRockerNino kicks all y'all's assesRockerNino kicks all y'all's assesRockerNino kicks all y'all's asses
im currently finishing my first year of college. im probably going to major in media studies and minor in economics. i want to pursue a career in music, and this summer i got a full time job at the college radio station 88.7 FM. check it out if ur in the inland valley in So Cal.
RockerNino is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.03.2006, 03:21 AM   #31
candymoan
the end of the ugly

candymoan kicks all y'all's assescandymoan kicks all y'all's assescandymoan kicks all y'all's assescandymoan kicks all y'all's assescandymoan kicks all y'all's assescandymoan kicks all y'all's assescandymoan kicks all y'all's assescandymoan kicks all y'all's assescandymoan kicks all y'all's assescandymoan kicks all y'all's assescandymoan kicks all y'all's asses
i got myself a BS in business management, now i work in advertising..
things turn out the way they do in the end..
i you decide to travel, you'll be missing out on the entire experience of studenthood, bad and good..
if you go to university, you'll still have the option to travel with your camera..

i can safely say this.. not everyone experiences the same things in education.. mark twain said, "i never let my schooling interfere with my education.." but you have more resources in an academic environment, you have much more discipline to accomplish your goals.. on your own, your chances are slimmer..

just don't forget, whichever way you choose, you are going to be responsible for your deeds for the rest of your life..

i would say, go for it..
you'll have other options along the way...

*/**
nothing here...

candymoan is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.03.2006, 03:27 AM   #32
A Thousand Threads
expwy. to yr skull

A Thousand Threads kicks all y'all's assesA Thousand Threads kicks all y'all's assesA Thousand Threads kicks all y'all's assesA Thousand Threads kicks all y'all's assesA Thousand Threads kicks all y'all's assesA Thousand Threads kicks all y'all's assesA Thousand Threads kicks all y'all's assesA Thousand Threads kicks all y'all's assesA Thousand Threads kicks all y'all's assesA Thousand Threads kicks all y'all's assesA Thousand Threads kicks all y'all's asses
i´m in collage, too.
and i fucking hate it, maybe because i´m in the wrong school --
a technical college.
i´m sitting in front of the screen the whole day, doin nothing but internet surfing and listening to music.
when it comes to tests i have no idea about anything
A Thousand Threads is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.03.2006, 03:47 AM   #33
fishmonkey
invito al cielo

fishmonkey kicks all y'all's assesfishmonkey kicks all y'all's assesfishmonkey kicks all y'all's assesfishmonkey kicks all y'all's assesfishmonkey kicks all y'all's assesfishmonkey kicks all y'all's assesfishmonkey kicks all y'all's assesfishmonkey kicks all y'all's assesfishmonkey kicks all y'all's assesfishmonkey kicks all y'all's assesfishmonkey kicks all y'all's asses
i went, dropped out and now i'm gone back again, only part time though
Old 05.03.2006, 05:08 AM   #34
_slavo_
invito al cielo

_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses
I have a Master's degree in International Business Relations.

It seems it's quite useless, since now I work in media/advertising, but the times on the campus were just incredible! I had the time of my life there.

and...university education in my country is free, so I saved. envy anyone ??? ;-)))

you're the boy

that can enjoy
invisibility
_slavo_ is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.03.2006, 05:17 AM   #35
terminal pharmacy
invito al cielo

terminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by !@#$%!
but professor-- you're studying philosophy. if im guessing right, you might have an academic career in mind. hence your education is a prerequisite, not an option.

im not discounting the value of an education. on the contrary, i think it's a great thing. but often times it tends to be overvalued and entered into without proper consideration-- almost as a reflex. and that (not necessarily the demands of it) is why so many people flunk out or end up with useless degrees.

i encourage people who want an education to get one. but i advise people who are not sure if they want one to pursue other things until the time comes when they truly need one.

i have taught college students and i can testify: adult students are better and work harder than spoiled partygoers trying to appease their parents. because one group wants it badly, and the other is more concerned with getting high.

i would agree with most of that... i did not start university until i was 24 and i did not have much to say to the younger students then because they all thought it was about partying and i had already done that for 9 years. i worked harder and had my job lined up before i even finished my degree. i walked straight into a well payed job, but most of all it was exactly what i wanted to do anyway.

in australia it is easy to go to university because the cost is not so debilitating. a BA costs around au$16000 which is great and the government has a scheme so you can go even if you can't afford it upfront. although that is looking to change in the very near future.

if you are unsure what you want to study, go os... if you are sure, then go study get your degree then travel as much as you want....
terminal pharmacy is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.03.2006, 05:22 AM   #36
candymoan
the end of the ugly

candymoan kicks all y'all's assescandymoan kicks all y'all's assescandymoan kicks all y'all's assescandymoan kicks all y'all's assescandymoan kicks all y'all's assescandymoan kicks all y'all's assescandymoan kicks all y'all's assescandymoan kicks all y'all's assescandymoan kicks all y'all's assescandymoan kicks all y'all's assescandymoan kicks all y'all's asses
it seems quite absurd to graduate with degree and start your life in debt..
some of my friends faced this problem, without a scholarship, you have to depend on your parents, and most of the time it's a drag..

but, i still have to point out, free education sometimes lacks the funds for decent resources.. the technical equipment, library et cetera are all fundamentally important for education..

*/**
nothing here...

candymoan is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.03.2006, 06:15 AM   #37
sonicl
invito al cielo

sonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's asses
I was expected to go to university after sitting my A levels, and could have done, but I was tired of studying and opted to get a job instead. Twenty years later I look at my friends who did go to Uni and they're earning over £20,000 a year more than me. Also I could probably be doing a much more stimulating job now had I not rushed into employment at age 18 when I didn't really know what I wanted out of life. So, yes, I do regret not going to uni.

sonicl is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.03.2006, 07:27 AM   #38
Trasher02
invito al cielo

Trasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's asses
i'd love to go to university or college but i'm afraid neither would let me in.
Old 05.03.2006, 07:32 AM   #39
screamingskull
invito al cielo

screamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's asses
thanks you guys
its really great to get some other people's opinions on this!, you have been really helpful.
thanks.
xo
screamingskull is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.03.2006, 07:41 AM   #40
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

oh one more thing i forgot to add

i spent some time in israel a few years ago

all israelis at age 18 go into the army for, i believe, 2-4 years (4 is for officers if i recall)

while in the army they do get all their partying, drinking and fucking out of their systems.

once the army is over, some people go to the university. some times they even go & travel the world before that. everywhere you go you'll find israelis on the road.

once at university, they dont mess around. they breeze through their studeis. israel is one of the countries that i know with the highest levels of education.

an average american college student compared to an israeli one looks like a fucking clown.

the fact that you take a year or two to explore the universe doesn't mean you will never study. on the contrary, it can be the stimulus you need to choose your path. a time to think things over.

i never thought the question was about never studying again-- only to take some time off to live a little outside the artificial bubble of academia. which builds character and is a good thing.

best wishes whatever you decide.

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth