Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page Spacemen 3/Spiritualized
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 07.14.2006, 01:17 AM   #1
IntoTheGroovey
bad moon rising

IntoTheGroovey is a name known to allIntoTheGroovey is a name known to allIntoTheGroovey is a name known to allIntoTheGroovey is a name known to allIntoTheGroovey is a name known to allIntoTheGroovey is a name known to all
Anybody like these bands? I'm just starting to get into them. So far I have 'singles' by spacement 3 and of course 'ladies and gentlemen we are floating in space' by spiritualized. What are some other good records by each band??
Old 07.14.2006, 01:33 AM   #2
sonicl
invito al cielo

sonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's asses
Go out IMMEDIATELY and buy Spacemen 3's "Perfection Prescription".
sonicl is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.14.2006, 01:49 AM   #3
m^a(t)h
expwy. to yr skull

m^a(t)h cold hard suckam^a(t)h cold hard suckam^a(t)h cold hard suckam^a(t)h cold hard suckam^a(t)h cold hard suckam^a(t)h cold hard suckam^a(t)h cold hard suckam^a(t)h cold hard suckam^a(t)h cold hard suckam^a(t)h cold hard suckam^a(t)h cold hard sucka
yeah thats their best. Has anyone listened to spacemen 3's live album from I think 89?
m^a(t)h is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.14.2006, 01:52 AM   #4
IntoTheGroovey
bad moon rising

IntoTheGroovey is a name known to allIntoTheGroovey is a name known to allIntoTheGroovey is a name known to allIntoTheGroovey is a name known to allIntoTheGroovey is a name known to allIntoTheGroovey is a name known to all
oH ok I will look for that one. Thanks.
Old 07.14.2006, 09:52 AM   #5
Savage Clone
invito al cielo

Savage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's asses
Perfect Prescription is definitely THE Spacemen album, but I like them all except Recurring (though their cover of "When Tomorrow Hits" on that album totally kicks ass all over Mudhoney's original).
Spiritualized's first album is great, as is Pure Phase. After Ladies and Gentlemen they got way too over-the-top with production and I kind of lost interest. It's a shame because I was obsessive before that. In the early to mid 90s Spiritualized were easily one of the best live bands on earth. If you can find a copy of the live album "Fucked Up Inside," I highly recommend it.
"Playing With Fire" is a great Spacemen album too, by the way.
Also, Sonic Boom's Spectrum project has some good stuff. The albums Soul Kiss (Glide Divine) and Highs, Lows and Heavenly Blows are both great. His E.A.R. project has some good stuff and a lot of regurgitative stuff that is not so interesting, but worth checking out of you like pure minimalist drone.
Savage Clone is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.14.2006, 09:59 AM   #6
sonicl
invito al cielo

sonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's asses
The problem with Spacemen 3 is that the market has been flooded with shoddily packaged releases of demos and the like, e.g. Taking Drugs to Make Music to Take Drugs To, Forged Prescriptions, For All The Fucked Up Children of the World, and I'm sure there have been several others. It's diluted their legacy too much.
sonicl is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.14.2006, 10:00 AM   #7
gmku
invito al cielo

gmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's asses
Is Prescription available on vinyl, anybody know? I look for that one every time I visit the record store.
gmku is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.14.2006, 10:02 AM   #8
Savage Clone
invito al cielo

Savage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's asses
Prescription had two vinyl pressings, but it was some time ago.
Old 07.14.2006, 10:07 AM   #9
trance feeeedback
children of satan

trance feeeedback kicks all y'all's assestrance feeeedback kicks all y'all's assestrance feeeedback kicks all y'all's assestrance feeeedback kicks all y'all's assestrance feeeedback kicks all y'all's assestrance feeeedback kicks all y'all's assestrance feeeedback kicks all y'all's assestrance feeeedback kicks all y'all's assestrance feeeedback kicks all y'all's assestrance feeeedback kicks all y'all's assestrance feeeedback kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by m^a(t)h
yeah thats their best. Has anyone listened to spacemen 3's live album from I think 89?

Are you talking about the perfomance album, because that contains the best version of walking with jesus ever.
Also check out dream weapon, which contains the mighty 40 minute long drone piece an evening of contemporary sitar music. great stuff!

"sound is god"-Ravi Shankar.

FREE TIBET!
trance feeeedback is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.14.2006, 10:09 AM   #10
trance feeeedback
children of satan

trance feeeedback kicks all y'all's assestrance feeeedback kicks all y'all's assestrance feeeedback kicks all y'all's assestrance feeeedback kicks all y'all's assestrance feeeedback kicks all y'all's assestrance feeeedback kicks all y'all's assestrance feeeedback kicks all y'all's assestrance feeeedback kicks all y'all's assestrance feeeedback kicks all y'all's assestrance feeeedback kicks all y'all's assestrance feeeedback kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonicl
The problem with Spacemen 3 is that the market has been flooded with shoddily packaged releases of demos and the like, e.g. Taking Drugs to Make Music to Take Drugs To, Forged Prescriptions, For All The Fucked Up Children of the World, and I'm sure there have been several others. It's diluted their legacy too much.

yeah there is a joke, that spacemen 3 only made like 5 songs, and all their albums are just reworkings of those same songs. But I really liked forged prescription maybe even more than perfect prescription.

"sound is god"-Ravi Shankar.

FREE TIBET!
trance feeeedback is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.14.2006, 10:20 AM   #11
Savage Clone
invito al cielo

Dreamweapon is a meditative masterpiece for sure. I have both the CD and LP versions of that; the CD version of Dreamweapon is a lot longer, but the LP has a reversed groove and plays from the label outwards. Also, it contains a LONG version of "Ecstasy In Slow Motion" on the flip side that is really beautiful. Didn't get the reissue; figured I'd dropped enough cash on this album as it was!
Old 07.14.2006, 11:09 AM   #12
sonic sphere
invito al cielo

sonic sphere kicks all y'all's assessonic sphere kicks all y'all's assessonic sphere kicks all y'all's assessonic sphere kicks all y'all's assessonic sphere kicks all y'all's assessonic sphere kicks all y'all's assessonic sphere kicks all y'all's assessonic sphere kicks all y'all's assessonic sphere kicks all y'all's assessonic sphere kicks all y'all's assessonic sphere kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by IntoTheGroovey
Anybody like these bands? I'm just starting to get into them. So far I have 'singles' by spacement 3 and of course 'ladies and gentlemen we are floating in space' by spiritualized. What are some other good records by each band??

pure phase is another great spiritualized album
sonic sphere is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.14.2006, 01:19 PM   #13
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
Both Ace bands. I often forget how great Spiritualised are/were. I've seen them 5 times. I liked let it come down, it's a great pop record.

Spacemen 3 did only write one song, but it's a good 'un. Has anyone ever tried to play their stuff? It's unbelievably painful to play one chord for 15+ minutes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.14.2006, 02:05 PM   #14
o o o
the destroyed room

o o o kicks all y'all's asseso o o kicks all y'all's asseso o o kicks all y'all's asseso o o kicks all y'all's asseso o o kicks all y'all's asseso o o kicks all y'all's asseso o o kicks all y'all's asseso o o kicks all y'all's asseso o o kicks all y'all's asseso o o kicks all y'all's asseso o o kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by trance feeeedback
Are you talking about the perfomance album, because that contains the best version of walking with jesus ever.

i think i have this one: is there only 5 or 6 songs and the last one is walking with jesus? if this is the one, yes, i love that version of walking with jesus - and the rest of the album too...
o o o is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.14.2006, 02:07 PM   #15
o o o
the destroyed room

o o o kicks all y'all's asseso o o kicks all y'all's asseso o o kicks all y'all's asseso o o kicks all y'all's asseso o o kicks all y'all's asseso o o kicks all y'all's asseso o o kicks all y'all's asseso o o kicks all y'all's asseso o o kicks all y'all's asseso o o kicks all y'all's asseso o o kicks all y'all's asses
yes, apparently, i'm thinking of the same album:

recorded in Amsterdam in 1988...
o o o is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.14.2006, 03:57 PM   #16
krastian
invito al cielo

krastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asses
I love Spacemen 3 and Spritualized have some awesome stuff too. I like Sound of Confusion the best....prob. because it has 2.35. Taking Drugs to Make Music to Take Drugs To is a good collection too and it has one of the best album titles ever.
Old 07.14.2006, 04:11 PM   #17
m^a(t)h
expwy. to yr skull

m^a(t)h cold hard suckam^a(t)h cold hard suckam^a(t)h cold hard suckam^a(t)h cold hard suckam^a(t)h cold hard suckam^a(t)h cold hard suckam^a(t)h cold hard suckam^a(t)h cold hard suckam^a(t)h cold hard suckam^a(t)h cold hard suckam^a(t)h cold hard sucka
[quote=trance feeeedback]Are you talking about the perfomance album, because that contains the best version of walking with jesus ever.[quote]

no, im talking about live in europe 1989, anyone ever listened to this??

m^a(t)h is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.14.2006, 04:41 PM   #18
Savage Clone
invito al cielo

I have that record. I think Performance is a little better, but it's still good. Haven't listened to it a ton, but I'm glad I have it.
Old 07.16.2006, 05:48 PM   #19
Kallisti23chaos
children of satan

Kallisti23chaos kicks all y'all's assesKallisti23chaos kicks all y'all's assesKallisti23chaos kicks all y'all's assesKallisti23chaos kicks all y'all's assesKallisti23chaos kicks all y'all's assesKallisti23chaos kicks all y'all's assesKallisti23chaos kicks all y'all's assesKallisti23chaos kicks all y'all's assesKallisti23chaos kicks all y'all's assesKallisti23chaos kicks all y'all's assesKallisti23chaos kicks all y'all's asses
perfect prescription is my favorite.
Old 07.16.2006, 06:01 PM   #20
hellotwentyfifteen
bad moon rising

Location: sonic toronto (it's way cooler than regular toronto)
hellotwentyfifteen is just really nicehellotwentyfifteen is just really nicehellotwentyfifteen is just really nicehellotwentyfifteen is just really nicehellotwentyfifteen is just really nice
i first heard spritualized in a recording of a jam they did with sonmic youth at melt down in 1998 i belive

it is such an amazing jam, so my band and i compressed all the diffrent parts and made it into a song

i love doing that

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lastuionel
Only there i seen chep like that Cell Phone
hellotwentyfifteen is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth