Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page Eastern Indian musics + Ukuleles
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 04.06.2006, 04:53 PM   #1
TheDom
expwy. to yr skull

TheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's asses
uhh, I got this Ravi Shankar album from somewhere, and I really like it. Anybody want to recommend me some good Indian music?

and I love the sound of ukuleles, so if anyone could give me some songs with that, or Hawaiian music in general, I'll give you a high five.
TheDom is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.06.2006, 04:55 PM   #2
sellouteater
the end of the ugly

sellouteater cold hard suckasellouteater cold hard suckasellouteater cold hard suckasellouteater cold hard suckasellouteater cold hard suckasellouteater cold hard suckasellouteater cold hard suckasellouteater cold hard suckasellouteater cold hard suckasellouteater cold hard suckasellouteater cold hard sucka
I had a uke till i got bored with it and smashed it to tiny peices. That ended up being more fun then trying to pay it
Old 04.06.2006, 04:57 PM   #3
TheDom
expwy. to yr skull

TheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's asses
Thanks, man

that was extremely helpful!
Old 04.06.2006, 05:09 PM   #4
sellouteater
the end of the ugly

sellouteater cold hard suckasellouteater cold hard suckasellouteater cold hard suckasellouteater cold hard suckasellouteater cold hard suckasellouteater cold hard suckasellouteater cold hard suckasellouteater cold hard suckasellouteater cold hard suckasellouteater cold hard suckasellouteater cold hard sucka

your welcome this is it before it was smashed
Old 04.06.2006, 05:24 PM   #5
Savage Clone
invito al cielo

Savage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's asses
Brij Bhushan Kabra - killer Indian slide guitarist
Ashish Khan is very good
Pandit Pran Nath is a great raga vocalist, as is Lakshmi Shankar.
Get an LP called "The Pulse Of Tanam" on Nonesuch too; GREAT Vina LP! The Vina is a beautiful and entrancing instrument, and these Nonesuch LPs are great and never very pricey.
Savage Clone is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.06.2006, 05:27 PM   #6
Savage Clone
invito al cielo

Savage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's asses
Also:
Get the CD "Three Improvisations On Modified Banjo" by Paul Metzger! He is a virtuoso in this kind of style, and his banjo has 21 strings and sounds more like a sarod than anything at this point. Incredible!!
Old 04.06.2006, 07:06 PM   #7
TheDom
expwy. to yr skull

hey, thanks man.

are Lakshmi Shankar and Ravi Shankar related?
I really like Ravi's Transmigration Macabre.

anymore from anybody else?
Old 04.06.2006, 08:40 PM   #8
johnnywinternoshow
the end of the ugly

johnnywinternoshow kicks all y'all's assesjohnnywinternoshow kicks all y'all's assesjohnnywinternoshow kicks all y'all's assesjohnnywinternoshow kicks all y'all's assesjohnnywinternoshow kicks all y'all's assesjohnnywinternoshow kicks all y'all's assesjohnnywinternoshow kicks all y'all's assesjohnnywinternoshow kicks all y'all's assesjohnnywinternoshow kicks all y'all's assesjohnnywinternoshow kicks all y'all's assesjohnnywinternoshow kicks all y'all's asses
the ukelele orchestra of great britain does cover versions
there's always

George Formby for old fashioned racist ukelele stuff
(I hope i'm the first to get a picture of him on the SY forum)

for hawaiian stuff, check out keola beamer if you can find it
johnnywinternoshow is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.06.2006, 11:41 PM   #9
themawt71
the destroyed room

themawt71 kicks all y'all's assesthemawt71 kicks all y'all's assesthemawt71 kicks all y'all's assesthemawt71 kicks all y'all's assesthemawt71 kicks all y'all's assesthemawt71 kicks all y'all's assesthemawt71 kicks all y'all's assesthemawt71 kicks all y'all's assesthemawt71 kicks all y'all's assesthemawt71 kicks all y'all's assesthemawt71 kicks all y'all's asses
the first sebadoh cd and poledo off of dinosaurs youre living all over me.

lou b likes his uke
themawt71 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.07.2006, 08:34 AM   #10
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
I have lots of Indian music but can never remember any of the names. I recommend living in an area with an Indian population and asking in the local 'we sell everything and there is no way to move in the shop for all the things we sell' shop and asking them if they have any Indian music. They will then offer you a crap Bollywood CD to which you say, "I was looking for the more... um... classical side of things" after which he will offer you a CD on German label by someone with a name which has a minimum of 48 letters which will be excellent.

Strange how this is exactly the ritual every time.

I think Indian classical is one of those genres where you can pick up pretty much anything and it'll be good - my rationale is that by the time it travels overseas, it has to be one of the better musicians for it to warrant going overseas. I believe this is true of most Asian classical music I have, apart from some very cheap and dodgy Japanese flute music I have.

Regarding Uke, again, a couple of charity shop cheap as conkers Hawaiin [sp?] LP's should see you right (I have about five, all of which are ace-core).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.07.2006, 02:48 PM   #11
Savage Clone
invito al cielo

My friend Jason does a lovely ukelele piece here:
http://mutantmusic.com/samples/Meechmit.mp3
Old 04.07.2006, 08:41 PM   #12
hey alex
the end of the ugly

hey alex kicks all y'all's asseshey alex kicks all y'all's asseshey alex kicks all y'all's asseshey alex kicks all y'all's asseshey alex kicks all y'all's asseshey alex kicks all y'all's asseshey alex kicks all y'all's asseshey alex kicks all y'all's asseshey alex kicks all y'all's asseshey alex kicks all y'all's asseshey alex kicks all y'all's asses
i almost bought a uke today but couldn't bring myself to put down $25 on it. \Ah well.
Duran Duran's 1995 covers album Thank You was recently voted the worst album of all time by a Q magazine poll. Although we respectfully disagree (Sonic Youth's NYC Ghosts & Flowers is clearly the worst album of all time) -Pitchfork (hahahah!)

Here's a myspace of my music and 4-track ramblings
the electric kites--the jamz of me n my friends
hey alex is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.07.2006, 10:45 PM   #13
trance feeeedback
children of satan

trance feeeedback kicks all y'all's assestrance feeeedback kicks all y'all's assestrance feeeedback kicks all y'all's assestrance feeeedback kicks all y'all's assestrance feeeedback kicks all y'all's assestrance feeeedback kicks all y'all's assestrance feeeedback kicks all y'all's assestrance feeeedback kicks all y'all's assestrance feeeedback kicks all y'all's assestrance feeeedback kicks all y'all's assestrance feeeedback kicks all y'all's asses
I second savage clones suggestion for brij bhushan kabra. I just got one his LP's the other day. He is amazing, he plays a seven stringed electric guitar with a slide and the three bass strings replaced with bronze strings(instead of steel). I never knew a guitar could the make sounds he makes with it.

also check out this site for craploads of info on indian classical music: http://www.musicalnirvana.com/index.html

"sound is god"-Ravi Shankar.

FREE TIBET!
trance feeeedback is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.09.2006, 04:16 AM   #14
willd
empty page

willd has a couple of kiss-ass net friends
Try Ram Narayan. The record 'Rag Shankara / Rag Mala in Jogia' by him is a winner. He plays my favourite of all the Indian instruments that I've heard - the sarangi. It's like a violin but with a greater sound.. they're also quite grand to look at, I think.
willd is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.09.2006, 09:22 PM   #15
Пятхъдесят Шест
invito al cielo

Пятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's asses
Weirdsville has a streaming radio station called Exotica, that plays a lot of what your looking for.

Tons of crazy sounds from all over the world.
Пятхъдесят Шест is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.09.2006, 10:04 PM   #16
emma blowgun
empty page

emma blowgun has a couple of kiss-ass net friends
Quote:
Originally Posted by willd
Try Ram Narayan. The record 'Rag Shankara / Rag Mala in Jogia' by him is a winner. He plays my favourite of all the Indian instruments that I've heard - the sarangi. It's like a violin but with a greater sound.. they're also quite grand to look at, I think.

Ooh, sarangis are so cool - I love the way they sound. I'll have to check that out.

See, this is why I missed the SY board - this is where all the cool music recommendations are at.
"I once went to [Ted Nugent's] store. Jesus, why I went in there, I don't know, but anyhoo, it was as unmetal as can be. Dude, videos that have stickers saying 'family viewing: no kill scenes' are sooo not metal."
- J. O'Rourke
emma blowgun is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth