Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page Waters and Gilmour Sabotaged Barrett's The Madcap Laughs
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 12.16.2008, 08:54 PM   #1
dazedcola
the end of the ugly

dazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's asses
After reading about the sessions for Madcap Laughs I can only come to that one conclusion. See there were 2 producers for the album the first being Malcolm Jones. He did a great job and the best songs from the album were recorded by him (terrapin, octopus, late night, long gone, no good trying)

Then Waters and Gilmour came in and instead of helping an old friend out, they fucked him over. They decided to include studio chatter and false starts on the final album mix.Their excuse being "we wanted it to represent the atmosphere of making of the album." Well first off, who the fuck are you to make that kind of decision? Did you even ask syd? probably not. I mean Pink Floyd themselves were known for fighting later on, would the wall have been better if they included studio arguments between gilmour and waters. NO! Not only that but they could have substituted one of the lesser songs like "feel" for opel but they didn't, instead painting syd as a contentious psycho.

I think their motivation for doing this was purely egotistical. They decided to show what a trouble syd could be and also to knock down any chance of a comeback in the public eye for syd. Remember this was 1970 when Pink Floyd were still known as that band that did piper. During the time of Madcaps, they were recording their indulgent double album with each member getting a side. I think subconsciously they didnt want syd to steal the spotlight from then again so they purposelly put on bad material.

TO SUM IT UP FUCK ROGER WATERS AND DAVID GILMOUR FOR RUINING THEIR OLD BANDMATES ALBUM.

Anyone else feel this way about the Madcap Laughs?

Ill meet ya on the next one
And dont be late "
-Jimi Hendrix

...And me just another dream theory, lost inside your eye

"when my mind's uncertain my body decides
what it will do to get through the hell of the night
as I trip on the ocean that leads through your eyes
well my eyes can't wait til they finally see through you"
dazedcola is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.16.2008, 09:18 PM   #2
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
It's plausible that they did. But more for the sake of their careers than their egos I think. As the band's focal point, Barrett might've been seen by Gilmour and Waters as a threat to them commercially. With hindesight we know that Barrett would be the one to go under, but I'm sure at the time the remaining members of Floyd didn't. Still a cuntish thing to do, either way. If it's true. And anyway, I prefer Madcap with or without the 'arguments' more than any Floyd album (possibly even Pipers).
demonrail666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.16.2008, 09:59 PM   #3
terminal pharmacy
invito al cielo

terminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's asses
What's the point? Syd always refused any offers of comebacks from any labels. The album is what it is and there is no changing it, and I wouldn't say it is ruined, in fact I quite like the banter on the album, it actually gives a good picture postcard to a particular moment in time that may well have been diminished without aforementioned banter.
terminal pharmacy is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.16.2008, 11:50 PM   #4
alteredcourse
expwy. to yr skull

alteredcourse kicks all y'all's assesalteredcourse kicks all y'all's assesalteredcourse kicks all y'all's assesalteredcourse kicks all y'all's assesalteredcourse kicks all y'all's assesalteredcourse kicks all y'all's assesalteredcourse kicks all y'all's assesalteredcourse kicks all y'all's assesalteredcourse kicks all y'all's assesalteredcourse kicks all y'all's assesalteredcourse kicks all y'all's asses
It's been a while and I'm gonna listen to the madcap laughs again. It's an interesting theory, though they were all wankers, werent they?
alteredcourse is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.17.2008, 01:54 PM   #5
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
Lennon sort of sabotaged McCartney's tracks on Let it Be, by playing sloppily on some, and giving others to Phil Spector to produce behind McCartney's back. Although I think this was motivated more by a frustration with the Beatles as a band rather than McCartney personally. I'm sure there are similar instances that've occurred in numerous other bands.
demonrail666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.18.2008, 12:22 PM   #6
Everyneurotic
invito al cielo

Everyneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's asses
waters and gilmour (until 1971) > barrett anytime.

syd was good but never mindblowing in my opinion.
Everyneurotic is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth