Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Sonic Gossip
Reload this Page Female Mechanic Now on Duty
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 12.04.2018, 12:30 AM   #61
choc e-Claire
expwy. to yr skull

choc e-Claire kicks all y'all's asseschoc e-Claire kicks all y'all's asseschoc e-Claire kicks all y'all's asseschoc e-Claire kicks all y'all's asseschoc e-Claire kicks all y'all's asseschoc e-Claire kicks all y'all's asseschoc e-Claire kicks all y'all's asseschoc e-Claire kicks all y'all's asseschoc e-Claire kicks all y'all's asseschoc e-Claire kicks all y'all's asseschoc e-Claire kicks all y'all's asses
Because I wanted to take part in the album ranking:

1. Daydream Nation
2. Washing Machine
3. Goo
4. Sister
5. Dirty
6. Rather Ripped
7. Sonic Nurse
8. Evol
9. Murray Street
10. The Eternal
11. Bad Moon Rising
12. Sonic Youth
13. Experimental Jet Set, Trash, and No Star
14. A Thousand Leaves
15. NYC Ghosts and Flowers
16. Confusion is Sex

Note that this is rough and could likely change on a moment's notice. And I'm torn between saying 'sorry if your favourite's low' and 'fuck you, this is my list'.
Making myself up as I go along. Check out my music-themed blog, 79:57.
choc e-Claire is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.04.2018, 11:33 AM   #62
Screaming Skull
children of satan

Screaming Skull kicks all y'all's assesScreaming Skull kicks all y'all's assesScreaming Skull kicks all y'all's assesScreaming Skull kicks all y'all's assesScreaming Skull kicks all y'all's assesScreaming Skull kicks all y'all's assesScreaming Skull kicks all y'all's assesScreaming Skull kicks all y'all's assesScreaming Skull kicks all y'all's assesScreaming Skull kicks all y'all's assesScreaming Skull kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by choc e-Claire

1. Daydream Nation
2. Washing Machine
3. Goo
4. Sister
5. Dirty
6. Rather Ripped
7. Sonic Nurse
8. Evol
9. Murray Street
10. The Eternal
11. Bad Moon Rising
12. Sonic Youth
13. Experimental Jet Set, Trash, and No Star
14. A Thousand Leaves
15. NYC Ghosts and Flowers
16. Confusion is Sex

Note that this is rough and could likely change on a moment's notice. And I'm torn between saying 'sorry if your favourite's low' and 'fuck you, this is my list'.

Good list and directionally in line with my personal taste. The only thing I would suggest is spending more quality time with Confusion is Sex + Kill Yr Idols. Seriously, it'll eventually "unlock" for you and you will be grateful for it.
Screaming Skull is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.08.2018, 12:16 PM   #63
EVOLghost
invito al cielo

EVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Eugene Felikson
Wait... wait... wait... I'm not the only one who thinks all that Allen Ginsberg crap is pretentious b.s.? Thank goodness

It’s not THAAAT bad. I like it.
EVOLghost is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.08.2018, 05:51 PM   #64
d.sound
the destroyed room

d.sound kicks all y'all's assesd.sound kicks all y'all's assesd.sound kicks all y'all's assesd.sound kicks all y'all's assesd.sound kicks all y'all's assesd.sound kicks all y'all's assesd.sound kicks all y'all's assesd.sound kicks all y'all's assesd.sound kicks all y'all's assesd.sound kicks all y'all's assesd.sound kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Screaming Skull
The only thing I would suggest is spending more quality time with Confusion is Sex + Kill Yr Idols. Seriously, it'll eventually "unlock" for you and you will be grateful for it.
This. I didn't understand Confusion for like two decades. I was never in the right headspace for it. Some random day i try it again and i loved everything about it.
d.sound is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.09.2018, 09:24 AM   #65
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Screaming Skull
Good list and directionally in line with my personal taste. The only thing I would suggest is spending more quality time with Confusion is Sex + Kill Yr Idols. Seriously, it'll eventually "unlock" for you and you will be grateful for it.

Yyyyyyup.

Every album takes less time to absorb than this one, I think. But when this clicked for me, it kinda shook the world.

Only Sonic Youth album that clicked harder was Bad Moon Rising. I didn’t know what to do with anything after the first 3 minutes or so for several years. Then one day I unearthed the hidden melodies and caught the album’s true vibe. Now I’m always gemming and hawing over whether or not it belongs in the top 3.

Goddamn amazing record, that.
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.09.2018, 09:31 AM   #66
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by choc e-Claire

It’s super cool that you’re a teenager who listens to Sonic Youth. Unless times have changed dramatically since I was a teenager (which, of course, they have) this will get you absolutely nowhere until you’re in college, and then people will think you’re cool as fuck and want to talk to you about music all the time.

That said, I’m going to critique your list!!! I’m going to rate each album out of 10 but leave them in the order you had them.

Why? Because fuck you it’s my list critique.

Quote:
1. Daydream Nation 10/10
2. Washing Machine 8/10
3. Goo 8/10
4. Sister 10/10
5. Dirty 7/10
6. Rather Ripped 7/10
7. Sonic Nurse 8/10
8. Evol 10/10
9. Murray Street 10/10
10. The Eternal 6/10
11. Bad Moon Rising 9/10
12. Sonic Youth (not really an album)
13. Experimental Jet Set, Trash, and No Star 7/10
14. A Thousand Leaves 8/10
15. NYC Ghosts and Flowers 7/10
16. Confusion is Sex 8/10

... for now
Old 12.09.2018, 02:54 PM   #67
choc e-Claire
expwy. to yr skull

choc e-Claire kicks all y'all's asseschoc e-Claire kicks all y'all's asseschoc e-Claire kicks all y'all's asseschoc e-Claire kicks all y'all's asseschoc e-Claire kicks all y'all's asseschoc e-Claire kicks all y'all's asseschoc e-Claire kicks all y'all's asseschoc e-Claire kicks all y'all's asseschoc e-Claire kicks all y'all's asseschoc e-Claire kicks all y'all's asseschoc e-Claire kicks all y'all's asses
I didn't even try to provide /10 ratings, it was hard enough ordering them as it was. That said, everything above BMR is at least a 7 IMO.
Making myself up as I go along. Check out my music-themed blog, 79:57.
choc e-Claire is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.09.2018, 05:35 PM   #68
d.sound
the destroyed room

d.sound kicks all y'all's assesd.sound kicks all y'all's assesd.sound kicks all y'all's assesd.sound kicks all y'all's assesd.sound kicks all y'all's assesd.sound kicks all y'all's assesd.sound kicks all y'all's assesd.sound kicks all y'all's assesd.sound kicks all y'all's assesd.sound kicks all y'all's assesd.sound kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Severian
Only Sonic Youth album that clicked harder was Bad Moon Rising.
Yes to this too. It's perfect when you are in the right mood. I love the little stooges tape stuff. The thudding with echo drums.

I think in general I have enjoyed weirder and weirder music as i have aged.

I think with CIS and BMR it is that they have a rather dense and tense sound. They are less tangible.
d.sound is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.09.2018, 10:23 PM   #69
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by d.sound
Yes to this too. It's perfect when you are in the right mood. I love the little stooges tape stuff. The thudding with echo drums.

I think in general I have enjoyed weirder and weirder music as i have aged.

I think with CIS and BMR it is that they have a rather dense and tense sound. They are less tangible.

Yeah but there’s a primordial groove to both records that really entrances me. Like “Protect me You,” which is positively vexing (in a good way) and “I’m Insane,” which might be the most no-wave song ever. The groove just electrifies me every time.

BMR’s better, but both are transcendent. BMR hit me and I’m still reeling all these many, many years later.
Old 12.10.2018, 05:23 AM   #70
greenlight
invito al cielo

greenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's asses
you know what, I was in love with CIS and BMR straight away after first hearing which is strange, as I was very young and I was just starting opening my ears to a "different" music back then. till then it was mostly nice "melodic stuff". I remember it very clearly. walking in the winter, lots of snow, just a street lights. I had CIS on one side of the tape and on other BMR, blown away by that albums. I was listening to them albums non-stop for few days alright. Sonic Death was really challenging for me, that was few days after I heard CIS and BMR. could not digest them live outtakes easily.

greenlight is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.10.2018, 06:43 AM   #71
Dr. Eugene Felikson
invito al cielo

Dr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's asses
^ Likewise. Was 15 when I got into Sonic Youth after discovering them via that track they did w/ Cypress Hill. CiS and BMR have that rawness to 'em that I love in music. The agony and despair is ultra-present. SY got a lot prettier as they went on, and likely less angry as people.
Dr. Eugene Felikson is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.10.2018, 08:41 AM   #72
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenlight
you know what, I was in love with CIS and BMR straight away after first hearing which is strange, as I was very young and I was just starting opening my ears to a "different" music back then. till then it was mostly nice "melodic stuff". I remember it very clearly. walking in the winter, lots of snow, just a street lights. I had CIS on one side of the tape and on other BMR, blown away by that albums. I was listening to them albums non-stop for few days alright. Sonic Death was really challenging for me, that was few days after I heard CIS and BMR. could not digest them live outtakes easily.

I can actually buy that, because I responded that way to similarly abrasive, experimental music straight away. Just not these particular albums.

I think BMR was hibesltt a little weirder because it starts with a glorious melody and then a downright anthemic bass groove, but then folds in on itself and chucks any semblance of accessibility out the window and makes you dig through the brush to find it.

CIS/KYI is kind of a headfuck all over, so somehow less confusing than an album that starts with major chords and then dips intro sludge.

Anyway I really love BMR. And CIS.
Old 12.10.2018, 09:38 AM   #73
greenlight
invito al cielo

greenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
^ Likewise. Was 15 when I got into Sonic Youth after discovering them via that track they did w/ Cypress Hill. CiS and BMR have that rawness to 'em that I love in music. The agony and despair is ultra-present. SY got a lot prettier as they went on, and likely less angry as people.

rawness and despair are great words to describe it. I would add word dark as well relating to them albums. funny thing, we must be around same age. I have noticed SY for a first time when Judgment Night album came out. then I saw 100% on MTV, it was pretty cool video, but it did not click with me for some reason, then when I heard Goo for a first time during my university time I was in love.

Old 12.10.2018, 09:39 AM   #74
greenlight
invito al cielo

Quote:
I can actually buy that, because I responded that way to similarly abrasive, experimental music straight away. Just not these particular albums.

I think BMR was hibesltt a little weirder because it starts with a glorious melody and then a downright anthemic bass groove, but then folds in on itself and chucks any semblance of accessibility out the window and makes you dig through the brush to find it.

CIS/KYI is kind of a headfuck all over, so somehow less confusing than an album that starts with major chords and then dips intro sludge.

Anyway I really love BMR. And CIS.

hehe headfuck all over....love it!

Old 12.15.2018, 02:56 PM   #75
The Gazpacho Gestapo
bad moon rising

The Gazpacho Gestapo kicks all y'all's assesThe Gazpacho Gestapo kicks all y'all's assesThe Gazpacho Gestapo kicks all y'all's assesThe Gazpacho Gestapo kicks all y'all's assesThe Gazpacho Gestapo kicks all y'all's assesThe Gazpacho Gestapo kicks all y'all's assesThe Gazpacho Gestapo kicks all y'all's assesThe Gazpacho Gestapo kicks all y'all's assesThe Gazpacho Gestapo kicks all y'all's assesThe Gazpacho Gestapo kicks all y'all's assesThe Gazpacho Gestapo kicks all y'all's asses
A female mechanic?! How asinine of a concept!

Oxymorons are for the cognitively plagued. Listen to more Fergie, now that's a REAL woman.
The Gazpacho Gestapo is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.15.2018, 04:09 PM   #76
Dr. Eugene Felikson
invito al cielo

Dr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenlight
rawness and despair are great words to describe it. I would add word dark as well relating to them albums. funny thing, we must be around same age. I have noticed SY for a first time when Judgment Night album came out. then I saw 100% on MTV, it was pretty cool video, but it did not click with me for some reason, then when I heard Goo for a first time during my university time I was in love.

Actually, I was only 2 years old when Judgement Night actually released. lol
Old 12.15.2018, 04:20 PM   #77
Dr. Eugene Felikson
invito al cielo

Quote:

What a beautiful way to describe BMR, Sev. You have a real knack for that.
Old 12.16.2018, 10:34 AM   #78
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
What a beautiful way to describe BMR, Sev. You have a real knack for that.

Thanks bud.

That nonsense word is supposed to be “honestly” I think.
Old 02.02.2019, 07:03 PM   #79
The Soup Nazi
invito al cielo

The Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's asses
Please just ban this fucker ^ already...

GADJI BERI BIMBA GLANDRIDI LAULI LONNI CADORI GADJAM A BIM BERI GLASSALA GLANDRIDI E GLASSALA TUFFM I ZIMBRA

The Soup Nazi is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.12.2019, 09:08 AM   #80
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Soup Nazi
Please just ban this fucker ^ already...

Heh?

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth