Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page power violence...
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 04.28.2008, 09:50 PM   #21
batreleaser
invito al cielo

batreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's asses
no thats not what i meant. i just mean, within the hardcore scene, some bands diverged from the standard sound.

and mdc is amazing, and there is plenty of longing for them. not many bands in the history of rock n roll are loved like black flag.

listen to pink reason
batreleaser is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.28.2008, 10:34 PM   #22
uhler
invito al cielo

uhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by tesla69
flipper never changed they're sound, they started out slow and kept at it.

I have to challenge your basic assumption that all the hardcore bands started out from point A and the diverged - initially yeah there were a bunch of faster than fast bands, but at the same time there were slow bands and VERY slow bands and just plain freaked bands. The secret is that hardcore was essentially an offshoot of THE PSYCHEDELIC MOVEMENT. The superfast bands is what you are told to remember, but at the time there were many different bands with many different sounds.

What really happened is there were all these different sounds and they basically all congealed down into the few genre types you mention. There was also a strong communist influence in the early hardcore movement that got weeded out real quick. Thats why there is such a longing for Black Flag but not MDC.

there's a huge longing for mdc. they were even in american hardcore. i haven't met anyone that likes hardcore that doesn't like mdc.
uhler is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.28.2008, 10:39 PM   #23
batreleaser
invito al cielo

batreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's asses
yeah, mdc was one of the best hardcore bands, and millions of dead cops is one of the best hardcore records.

favorite 80s hardcore bands (top 10)
bad brains
black flag
mdc
dri
negative approach
minor threat
void
doa
ssd
the fiath

listen to pink reason
Old 04.29.2008, 04:36 AM   #24
sarramkrop

Power Violence is such a lame music term.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.29.2008, 09:44 AM   #25
tesla69
Banned

tesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by batreleaser
no thats not what i meant. i just mean, within the hardcore scene, some bands diverged from the standard sound.

and mdc is amazing, and there is plenty of longing for them. not many bands in the history of rock n roll are loved like black flag.

I'm just trying to impress that that within the scene, at the time, the idea there was a 'standard sound' is really an illusion projected backwards in time. There was a great range of sounds and ideas. A compilation like Cleanse the Bacteria which is unarguably hardcore demonstrated this variation. Maybe thats a little out of the time scale your interested in.

But even within that standard sound there was a range of sounds - Negative Approach didn't really sound like Gang Green, and neither of them sounded like Rattus or Septic Death.

I totally understand what you're saying, but I think the socalled generic hardcore was actually a later development.

What I remember was a period around 86-87 when all this weak shit started leaking in like lemonheads and great plains and replacements and honor roll and doggy style etc etc weak sound and weak aesthetically, but easy to sell on college radio and to clubs.
tesla69 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.29.2008, 11:10 AM   #26
batreleaser
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarramkrop
Power Violence is such a lame music term.

agreed

listen to pink reason
Old 04.29.2008, 12:21 PM   #27
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
I thought this was about the US Navy and US military diplomacy trends since 1906, not about obscure musical subcultures...

SuchFriendsAreDangerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.29.2008, 12:39 PM   #28
uhler
invito al cielo

uhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuchFriendsAreDangerous
I thought this was about the US Navy and US military diplomacy trends since 1906, not about obscure musical subcultures...

why would we talk about that in the non music section?
uhler is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.29.2008, 01:13 PM   #29
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by uhler
why would we talk about that in the non music section?

surely you've noticed by now that I honestly dont pay attention to the stratification of this board, I just post and respond to threads.

SuchFriendsAreDangerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.29.2008, 01:33 PM   #30
Derek
invito al cielo

Derek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's asses
That's what I do also.
Derek is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.29.2008, 10:11 PM   #31
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
I thought everyone did that.

"new posts".

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.30.2008, 03:25 PM   #32
DJ Rick
100%

Location: Sacto (CA) Institute for Record Collection Scrutiny
DJ Rick kicks all y'all's assesDJ Rick kicks all y'all's assesDJ Rick kicks all y'all's assesDJ Rick kicks all y'all's assesDJ Rick kicks all y'all's assesDJ Rick kicks all y'all's assesDJ Rick kicks all y'all's assesDJ Rick kicks all y'all's assesDJ Rick kicks all y'all's assesDJ Rick kicks all y'all's assesDJ Rick kicks all y'all's asses
No Le$$ are my favorite band of the powerviolence era...especially for that side from their split 7" with Laughing Dog.

Other faves from that era...

Suppression/Despise You split 7"
Sleestak side from split 7" w/ Lil Rudy G & the Chizmosos
Gasp "Dome Triler of the Puzzle Zoo People"

If you think the term "powerviolence" is lame, you should know that it came about as a joke which unexpectedly became recognized as a genre. I think it was around 1992 or so, and Slap a Ham Records had been releasing stuff like Neanderthal, No Comment, the Infest/PHC flexi, etc., for the last couple years. A reviewer for MRR was baffled at what to call this music and said, "What is this? Some kinda sonic powerviolence?" When the following issue of MRR appeared, it had an ad from Slap a Ham that said "Specializing in Sonic Powerviolence Since 1989." And then people started taking it seriously.

To be sure, there was something different about it. It was a unique derivation of an unprecedented mixture of styles...grind/death, thrash, hip hop-derived samplisticness and occasional rhythmic double-triplets, and a bit of (or in the case of Man Is the Bastard A LOT OF) progginess. Sometimes noise, too, as some of the best bands (esp. MITB and Suppression) descended into strictly noise bands.

So, I really wouldn't include Los Crudos. They were very much a revisionist band of Latin American bands of the original thrash/HC scene, such as Solucion Mortal, Ohlo Seco, Colera, La Pestilencia, etc.
DJ Rick is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.30.2008, 03:41 PM   #33
gualbert
the end of the ugly

gualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Rick
So, I really wouldn't include Los Crudos. They were very much a revisionist band of Latin American bands of the original thrash/HC scene, such as Solucion Mortal, Ohlo Seco, Colera, La Pestilencia, etc.

Yeah , LC is just punk hc , just like Fuck on the Beach and Dropdead .

Solucion Mortal : love them , easily in my top 15 hc bands.
gualbert is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.30.2008, 04:28 PM   #34
MaxBeta
empty page

MaxBeta kicks all y'all's assesMaxBeta kicks all y'all's assesMaxBeta kicks all y'all's assesMaxBeta kicks all y'all's assesMaxBeta kicks all y'all's assesMaxBeta kicks all y'all's assesMaxBeta kicks all y'all's assesMaxBeta kicks all y'all's assesMaxBeta kicks all y'all's assesMaxBeta kicks all y'all's assesMaxBeta kicks all y'all's asses
i just got the los crudos discog and from what little i heard it's bitchin. and charles bronson is bitchin as well if i recollect.
MaxBeta is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.08.2008, 07:24 AM   #35
sarramkrop

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Rick
No Le$$ are my favorite band of the powerviolence era...especially for that side from their split 7" with Laughing Dog.

Other faves from that era...

Suppression/Despise You split 7"
Sleestak side from split 7" w/ Lil Rudy G & the Chizmosos
Gasp "Dome Triler of the Puzzle Zoo People"

If you think the term "powerviolence" is lame, you should know that it came about as a joke which unexpectedly became recognized as a genre. I think it was around 1992 or so, and Slap a Ham Records had been releasing stuff like Neanderthal, No Comment, the Infest/PHC flexi, etc., for the last couple years. A reviewer for MRR was baffled at what to call this music and said, "What is this? Some kinda sonic powerviolence?" When the following issue of MRR appeared, it had an ad from Slap a Ham that said "Specializing in Sonic Powerviolence Since 1989." And then people started taking it seriously.

To be sure, there was something different about it. It was a unique derivation of an unprecedented mixture of styles...grind/death, thrash, hip hop-derived samplisticness and occasional rhythmic double-triplets, and a bit of (or in the case of Man Is the Bastard A LOT OF) progginess. Sometimes noise, too, as some of the best bands (esp. MITB and Suppression) descended into strictly noise bands.

Thanks.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.08.2008, 07:31 AM   #36
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
Slap A Ham Records ruled.

Power violence was a reeeeeeally really self-referential and jokey scene but it is also surprisingly awesome at times. There is a compilation called possessed to skate which had charles bronson, spazz, and despise you on it (I think assholeparade might have been on it too) that had like 4 or 5 songs by each band and it absolutely ruled

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.08.2008, 08:25 AM   #37
Toilet & Bowels
invito al cielo

Toilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's asses
is there anywhwere i can hear some of this stuff online?
Toilet & Bowels is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.08.2008, 12:43 PM   #39
jonathan
children of satan

jonathan kicks all y'all's assesjonathan kicks all y'all's assesjonathan kicks all y'all's assesjonathan kicks all y'all's assesjonathan kicks all y'all's assesjonathan kicks all y'all's assesjonathan kicks all y'all's assesjonathan kicks all y'all's assesjonathan kicks all y'all's assesjonathan kicks all y'all's assesjonathan kicks all y'all's asses
oh man, early Suppression is FUCKING SICK! God dammit! I found the Suppression/Dahmer 7" at a record store for relatively cheap, so I bought it. Definitely did not let me down.
jonathan is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.14.2008, 05:37 PM   #40
sarramkrop

I've found a compilation on a blog called 'Complacency 7 INCH Comp' which has the following bands on it:

Suppression
Systral
Suffer
Code 13
His Hero Is Gone

It was tagged 'power violence'. Pretty good it is too.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth