Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page Album of the Week Thread!!!
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 01.09.2015, 06:40 AM   #41
louder
invito al cielo

louder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asses
"The drum programming on Panda Bear Meets the Grim Reaper was influenced by 1990s hip-hop. Specifically, Panda Bear cited Dust Brothers, Q-Tip, A Tribe Called Quest, Pete Rock, DJ Premier, 9th Wonder, and J Dilla as influences."
louder is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.09.2015, 08:10 AM   #42
noisereductions
invito al cielo

noisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by louder
"The drum programming on Panda Bear Meets the Grim Reaper was influenced by 1990s hip-hop. Specifically, Panda Bear cited Dust Brothers, Q-Tip, A Tribe Called Quest, Pete Rock, DJ Premier, 9th Wonder, and J Dilla as influences."

:0 omg
Old 01.09.2015, 10:06 PM   #43
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Panda Bear Meets the Grim Reaper is the strongest Animal Collective-related release since MPP. I think I listened to it three times through today.

9th Wonder actually worked on the album. It certainly kicks the shit out of that Avey Tare's Slasher Flicks record.
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.10.2015, 10:19 AM   #44
noisereductions
invito al cielo

noisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's asses
I'm excited yeah.

That Slasher Flicks was a total let down for sure.
Old 01.10.2015, 08:16 PM   #45
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Slasher Flicks just suffered from a complete lack of focus and purpose.

I thought it was going to sound like Amps For Christ. You know, deeply muted death metal riffs drowned in reverb, giving the otherwise gentle, melodic folk sound a set of giant, rusty barbed teeth?

I guess I just expected it to sound substantially different from what AC, Avey, Panda had done yet. Cause, like, why else would you need to create an entirely different band?

It ended up sounding like a bunch of Strawberry Jam outtakes that Tare dug out of the trash while the others weren't looking.

Grim Reaper is pretty fucking ace though.
Old 01.10.2015, 08:28 PM   #46
noisereductions
invito al cielo

with a name like Slasher Flicks I honestly imagined it to sound like Bad Moon Rising or Evol. No joke. I was disappoint.
Old 01.13.2015, 06:32 PM   #47
noisereductions
invito al cielo

2. Panda Bear - Panda Bear Meets The Grimm Reaper (1/13)

Panda's always been my favorite AC dude. I feel like you know if you'll like this album. It sounds like Person Pitch vs. MPP. It's good. The early 90's hip hop inspiration is there, but also late 80's/early 90's dance music - stuff like Erasure comes to mind, in a good way. There's some cool divergence as well. The percussion-less opener "Sequential Circuits" is great. Or the harp-backed "Tropic Of Cancer." Quality album. Check it out!
Old 01.15.2015, 11:19 AM   #48
noisereductions
invito al cielo

*crickets chirp*
Old 01.15.2015, 02:55 PM   #49
Severian
invito al cielo

ATELJE - Meditation

Yeah I know there was a crappy pitchfork review that just dropped, and that the album's already been released to acclaim from those who care (apparently none of them are in the US or work at Apple or Spotify), but Dan Livvsik's new joint as ATELJE is really gods-damned interesting.

Most def my pick for the week, whether it's the right week or not. I am waiting for the LP to arrive in the mail, but the stock shortage may screw me on that one.

Anyway, for my fellow electronic mini genre birdwatchers, it's an amazing way to kick off the year. High class fucking music. This is "drive around in your Mercedes sipping coffee and feeling superior" music.

No.. It's seriously good, and not in a snobby way.
Old 01.15.2015, 02:59 PM   #50
Severian
invito al cielo

Also enjoying the new Chief Keef, of all things.

Though claiming that the title track "features" Kanye West is one hell of a stretch. Apart from some particularly awesome beat production, it sounds basically like Chief Keef. I'm not sure I'd even know that was Kanye's voice (me!!! I wouldn't know! What?) in that little microsample if the track didn't say "feat. kanye west."

Blargh!!
Old 01.15.2015, 03:07 PM   #51
Severian
invito al cielo

'Ey! Somebody get those fuckin' crickets outta here!
Old 01.15.2015, 05:53 PM   #52
h8kurdt
invito al cielo

h8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Severian
ATELJE - Meditation

Yeah I know there was a crappy pitchfork review that just dropped, and that the album's already been released to acclaim from those who care (apparently none of them are in the US or work at Apple or Spotify), but Dan Livvsik's new joint as ATELJE is really gods-damned interesting.

Most def my pick for the week, whether it's the right week or not. I am waiting for the LP to arrive in the mail, but the stock shortage may screw me on that one.

Anyway, for my fellow electronic mini genre birdwatchers, it's an amazing way to kick off the year. High class fucking music. This is "drive around in your Mercedes sipping coffee and feeling superior" music.

Tried to listen to this on Soundcloud, but the site is on the blink.

Anyhoo, it's not new, but it's the new album i've heard this week. So fuck yer rules

http://consequenceofsound.files.word...8-am.png?w=673

I'm a big fan of soundtrack albums, and whilst I may not like NIN Trent Reznor's soundtrack work has so far been brilliant. This is no exception. read that David Fincher wanted a soundtrack that lulls you into a false sense of warmth. For example on the track 'With Suspicion' it has this great synth sound that feels relaxing, calming. Like a Vangelis song from one of his 80's albums. However to stop you feeling calm they work this tense throbbing sound. It works brilliantly and makes you sit uncomfortably. Especially (and I guess most importantly) in the film.

On a side note, if there's one guy I'd love to see do a soundtrack is Aphex Twin.

Down with this sort of thing.
h8kurdt is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.15.2015, 06:30 PM   #53
h8kurdt
invito al cielo

h8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Severian
ATELJE - Meditation

Finally managed to get side 2 but not 1 working. I ended up buying the download just because of track 6 alone. Man, oh man, I'm digging it.

Old 01.15.2015, 09:27 PM   #54
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
There is too much electronic music. We need guitars to destroy all this shit. And somebody like Kurt to smash the fucking guitar afterwards.

SuchFriendsAreDangerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.15.2015, 11:26 PM   #55
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by h8kurdt

Anyhoo, it's not new, but it's the new album i've heard this week. So fuck yer rules

I'm a big fan of soundtrack albums, and whilst I may not like NIN Trent Reznor's soundtrack work has so far been brilliant. This is no exception. read that David Fincher wanted a soundtrack that lulls you into a false sense of warmth. For example on the track 'With Suspicion' it has this great synth sound that feels relaxing, calming. Like a Vangelis song from one of his 80's albums. However to stop you feeling calm they work this tense throbbing sound. It works brilliantly and makes you sit uncomfortably. Especially (and I guess most importantly) in the film.

On a side note, if there's one guy I'd love to see do a soundtrack is Aphex Twin.

Uhh.. I love everything you're saying here mate.
Except I am a NIN fan. Born and raised. Can't help it, really. To me NIN is just as essential as Depeche Mode. And yes, Gone Girl is just fucking perfectly executed. I honestly think it deserves an Oscar more than The Social Network even did.

Wait, Oscar nods are out right? I'm not even sure it got a nod.

And yeah- Aphex Twin needs to do a full length score. It would be more palatable to movie snobs if he worked on it with someone like Warren Ellis or Jonny Greenwood, who would certainly add tons of organic atmospherics to the RDJ as Aphex Twin sound, but I'd love to hear him put it together by himself. Maybe with a few guest spots (much like Trent Reznor did with Girl With the Dragon Tattoo).

I also think Sonic Youth and Aphex Twin would make an EPIC album together, even if it was all improvisations recorded in one take. Their styles would mesh eloquently, in any meter.
Old 01.19.2015, 02:26 PM   #56
h8kurdt
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by h8kurdt

Speaking of the Gone Girl soundtrack. This is one of the bet songs I've heard in a while. Incredible.

Technically, Missing

Old 01.20.2015, 07:06 PM   #57
noisereductions
invito al cielo

3. Joey Bada$$ - B4.DA.$$ (1/20)

Ladies and gentlemen, the first great hip hop album of 2015 was released today. If you close your eyes, you can picture any track on here fitting in on a 1994 mixtape alongside Tribe Called Quest, Artifacts, DITC, etc.
Old 01.26.2015, 03:26 PM   #58
Severian
invito al cielo

This week was eeeeasy:

Lupe Fiasco - Tetsuo & Youth

NR: I'm not sure if B4.DA.$$ really is the first great hip hop album of the year. The more I listen to Tetsuo, the more I think they might be equal. I'm loving B4.DA.$$, but it doesn't have a song like "Mural" on it, and they came out on the same day. So... I'm torn.
Old 01.26.2015, 04:08 PM   #59
noisereductions
invito al cielo

haven't heard the Lupe yet. i'll let you know...
Old 01.29.2015, 12:33 AM   #60
Severian
invito al cielo

Heard Lupe yet?

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth