Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page The Mighty Football Thread
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 10.15.2012, 06:35 AM   #1901
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
I just watched episode 3 on the channel 5 website. It's hard to know who it's really aimed at. The fact it's a Fox production and that the teams owners are American suggests it's aimed at getting interest in the US. That would probably explain the quite airbrushed portrayal but it's hard making training grounds and medicals glamorous enough to get people who aren't already interested to start following it. Saying that, the poetry bits, while irritating, are perfectly suited to Liverpool, probably the most overly sentimental team in England, and it does give a nice overview of pubs in the area. But mainly it just shows how dull the average premiership footballer is, and God help Liverpool if it's having to rely on Brendan "give it 100%, boys" Rodgers for its motivational speeches. It's addictive, though, so I'll definitely watch the rest, just to see how they put a spin on Carroll leaving (which as we know put the owners in a particularly bad light) and the team's less than spectacular start to the season. It'd also be interesting to know from el Symbols if they subtitle Jamie Carragher in the US.
demonrail666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.15.2012, 12:36 PM   #1902
h8kurdt
invito al cielo

h8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by demonrail666
I just watched episode 3 on the channel 5 website. It's hard to know who it's really aimed at. The fact it's a Fox production and that the teams owners are American suggests it's aimed at getting interest in the US. That would probably explain the quite airbrushed portrayal but it's hard making training grounds and medicals glamorous enough to get people who aren't already interested to start following it. Saying that, the poetry bits, while irritating, are perfectly suited to Liverpool, probably the most overly sentimental team in England, and it does give a nice overview of pubs in the area. But mainly it just shows how dull the average premiership footballer is, and God help Liverpool if it's having to rely on Brendan "give it 100%, boys" Rodgers for its motivational speeches. It's addictive, though, so I'll definitely watch the rest, just to see how they put a spin on Carroll leaving (which as we know put the owners in a particularly bad light) and the team's less than spectacular start to the season. It'd also be interesting to know from el Symbols if they subtitle Jamie Carragher in the US.

If they subtitled Carragher and the fans then they HAVE to subtitle them oer there. TBH they should jsut subtitle the whole thing.

Gerrad's body language whilst getting a pep talk amongst the others on the last episode was priceless.

Down with this sort of thing.
h8kurdt is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.15.2012, 07:14 PM   #1903
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
i've only watched episode 1 completely and it was fun. rodgers's house is fucking huge and what an awesome pool he has, the fucking bastard. but i've had other episodes on while doing stuff around it, so i haven't completely paid attention. still, i find i enjoy what i see, and i want to make the time to watch all the other episodes.

the thing is, in term of story and characters it's not the most gripping thing, but i love the way the thing has been shot and edited. they've done a great job with that. even for handheld shit. so it's nice to watch, just like, the shots of people practicing, that kind of thing.

yes, rodgers is a bit dull with the speeches, but there are some other things that are nice/fun to watch. the guy who needs subtitles, hilarious, i don't know his name, but he's from liverpool and his dad works on a toll bridge and he goes by and honks and waves hello. there have been times when i have to turn the close caption cuz i don't know wtf people are saying.

then there's the minor drama of lucas leiva's knee, and the transfers, and shit like that. and gerrard comes across as a really nice guy btw, completely surrounded by girls at home--hilarious.

anyway, it's a bit of silly voyeurism, but it's been well done even though it's not life-altering drama, but i love the anthropological side of it all-- the fans, their stadium, the group dynamics-- the whole thing. it's better than watching the jersey shore or some other useless shit.
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.15.2012, 08:40 PM   #1904
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses

I miss Ray Lewis already

SuchFriendsAreDangerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.16.2012, 02:29 PM   #1905
SonicBebs
expwy. to yr skull

SonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's asses
I've played in worse on sunday mornings
SonicBebs is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.16.2012, 02:49 PM   #1906
the ikara cult
invito al cielo

the ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's asses
You know whose fault this is? Bloody English Builders. Going over there...

the ikara cult is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.16.2012, 05:06 PM   #1907
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
It's bizarre. They were able to close the roof the moment it started raining but they didn't until after the game had been called off. Now it's on tomorrow, which is gonna mean Emmerdale gets cancelled. Cunts.
Old 10.16.2012, 05:28 PM   #1908
demonrail666
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by !@#$%!
i've only watched episode 1 completely and it was fun. rodgers's house is fucking huge and what an awesome pool he has, the fucking bastard. but i've had other episodes on while doing stuff around it, so i haven't completely paid attention. still, i find i enjoy what i see, and i want to make the time to watch all the other episodes.

the thing is, in term of story and characters it's not the most gripping thing, but i love the way the thing has been shot and edited. they've done a great job with that. even for handheld shit. so it's nice to watch, just like, the shots of people practicing, that kind of thing.

yes, rodgers is a bit dull with the speeches, but there are some other things that are nice/fun to watch. the guy who needs subtitles, hilarious, i don't know his name, but he's from liverpool and his dad works on a toll bridge and he goes by and honks and waves hello. there have been times when i have to turn the close caption cuz i don't know wtf people are saying.

then there's the minor drama of lucas leiva's knee, and the transfers, and shit like that. and gerrard comes across as a really nice guy btw, completely surrounded by girls at home--hilarious.

anyway, it's a bit of silly voyeurism, but it's been well done even though it's not life-altering drama, but i love the anthropological side of it all-- the fans, their stadium, the group dynamics-- the whole thing. it's better than watching the jersey shore or some other useless shit.

It's Jay Spearing whose dad works on the toll bridge. He talks about having to grow a beard to prevent him from looking like a child. And yeah, it's far more interesting on an anthropological level than anything strictly football related. It's too sanitised for that. Try and find the documentary, QPR: The Four Year Plan. That strikes me as being far closer to the reality of the Premiership. Better still, the Graham Taylor doc, Do I Not Like That about the ex England Manager. Red faces all round.
Old 10.16.2012, 05:34 PM   #1909
pokkeherrie
invito al cielo

pokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
I see Germany as Europe's greatest challenge to Spain's current dominance and given that players like Xavi are coming to the end of their career and the relative youth of players like Kroos, Reus and Ozil, I think the next World Cup could see them finally start to eclipse Spain. I'm intrigued to see how Argentina are doing post Maradona's spell as coach. On paper they're awesome: Aguero, Tevez, Messi but they always seem in the shadow of Brazil - who I'm convinced will choke under the pressure of hosting the tournament. I really think this World Cup will be the most fascinating in years. I'm getting in early and predicting a Germany win, even though I'd love it to be Argentina.

I was convinced for that to be the case after the 2010 World Cup, where a young German team thrashed several countries, but now I'm not so sure any more.

A good attack doesn't win you tournaments, it's not conceding goals that wins you tournaments. Spain didn't concede any goals in the knock-out phases of 2008, 2010, 2012. Italy only conceded 2 in the whole tournament in 2006. At the same time Germany, as impressive as some of their wins have been, were still* conceding way too many goals during the last Euros. If that doesn't improve soon (haven't seen their game tonight but they conceded 4 in a draw with Sweden) then it's going to be the same story in 2014 against teams like Italy or Spain I think.

*even though a lot of those players had made a lot of individual progression in the 2 years between
pokkeherrie is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.16.2012, 05:56 PM   #1910
the ikara cult
invito al cielo

the ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
It's Jay Spearing whose dad works on the toll bridge. He talks about having to grow a beard to prevent him from looking like a child. And yeah, it's far more interesting on an anthropological level than anything strictly football related. It's too sanitised for that. Try and find the documentary, QPR: The Four Year Plan. That strikes me as being far closer to the reality of the Premiership. Better still, the Graham Taylor doc, Do I Not Like That about the ex England Manager. Red faces all round.

That QPR one was astonishing.

I dunno if anyone ever saw this thing, it was a 90 minute "documentary film" that was basically promotional material for Man United trying to crack the American market by portraying themselves as WINNERS, ALL THE FUCKING TIME!! NOT LIKE YOU, YOU LOSERS!

I cant remember what it was called, but there were countless interviews with Leeds fans looking sorry for themselves and saying "Hey, we'll support our club no matter what happens. Who knows, one day we might beat them!" followed by shots of United winning again. It was vile, but im glad i saw it.

Old 10.16.2012, 05:59 PM   #1911
pokkeherrie
invito al cielo

pokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's asses
I've seen that Graham Taylor one once, I think it's on youtube in full.
Old 10.16.2012, 07:03 PM   #1912
demonrail666
invito al cielo

Yeah, found it on youtube. I forgot it's called The Impossible job.

Here it is in full

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uW0ebsf7ZRs

Taylor in excelsis: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wfCq24EEzR4

And Ikari, yeah, astonishing is the right word for the QPR doc. Completely demystifies everything. Makes you wonder how anyone could be a prem manager, even with the money. I've not seen the Man U one but I'll definitely look for it.

Speaking of astonishing: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zg_lPJ8hHP0
Old 10.16.2012, 07:25 PM   #1913
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
oh h3llz yea

im looking for the QPR and the other one

unfortunately all netflix shows is "YEs: The Gates of QPR" (prog rock concert lol)

i got the youtube one on. w00t!
Old 10.16.2012, 08:14 PM   #1914
the ikara cult
invito al cielo

Quote:

Here it is in full

And Ikari, yeah, astonishing is the right word for the QPR doc. Completely demystifies everything. Makes you wonder how anyone could be a prem manager, even with the money. I've not seen the Man U one but I'll definitely look for it.

haha that Sitton clip is classic.

Old 10.16.2012, 08:42 PM   #1915
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
USA finally clowned it in their group qualifiers for the World Cup. When Guatemala came out swinging and then the US matched em making it 1-1 in the first 10 I though it was going to be a shoot out. The second half was a yawn but the US went out on top 3-1 and dominated. Clint Dempsey came through TWICE in the absence of Landon Donovan, and Bradley and Johnson also stepped up quite a bit with a bit of help by Bocanegra. This new sans Bob Bradley system has been a ruff readjustment but I think we're finally starting to get it

SuchFriendsAreDangerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.17.2012, 07:46 AM   #1916
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

oh man, germany sweden, watched the first half last night, watch it please, it was total domination, watch it and realize why putting 6 goals into the irish goal wasn't an anomaly.

now if they could just play like that vs. italy or spain...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuchFriendsAreDangerous
This new sans Bob Bradley system has been a ruff readjustment but I think we're finally starting to get it

i really hope so and i'd like to see them play one of these days, but i really can't bring myself to watch games featuring guatemala, or san marino, or the faroe islands.... they should go on a tour of south america or something. i'd like to see them against colombia! (colombia has been kicking ass)
Old 10.17.2012, 08:04 AM   #1917
pokkeherrie
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by !@#$%!
oh man, germany sweden, watched the first half last night, watch it please, it was total domination, watch it and realize why putting 6 goals into the irish goal wasn't an anomaly.

now if they could just play like that vs. italy or spain...

Don't forget to watch the last 30 minutes of that game too! (you're still in denial it seems )

They really give away the goals too easy... and it's exactly goals that are so very expensive against teams like Italy and Spain. No matter how good your attack is, it's incredibly hard to score against Spain and Italy. If Loew doesn't fix that defence soon then Germany might destroy some teams at the next World Cup, but they'll be bound to go out vs Italy or Spain yet again should they meet either of them.
Old 10.17.2012, 08:09 AM   #1918
pokkeherrie
invito al cielo

Quote:

Here it is in full

That Impossible Job appears to be an edited, shorter version. I think the whole thing is actually called Do I Not Like That like you said earlier... and of course I stumbled upon it once by way of that infamous Holland v England game:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J4EZa0Dn8FY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=37PIWoYsj00

Thanks for the John Sitton clip... it made me watch the whole documentary:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T0p_4YwXGn4
Old 10.17.2012, 08:09 AM   #1919
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

[quote=pokkeherrie]Don't forget to watch the last 30 minutes of that game too! (you're still in denial it seems )

oh mang spoilers

yeah i had to go to sleep last night. but now i saw the results. waaaaaaaah!

(i heard from some germans it was "amazing" but we told them to say nothing more. now i shot myself in the foot)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokkeherrie
They really give away the goals too easy... and it's exactly goals that are so very expensive against teams like Italy and Spain. No matter how good your attack is, it's incredibly hard to score against Spain and Italy. If Loew doesn't fix that defence soon then Germany might destroy some teams at the next World Cup, but they'll be bound to go out vs Italy or Spain yet again should they meet either of them.

a pity because they have great defenders. fucking loew!

i gotta see this now.... damn!
Old 10.17.2012, 08:34 AM   #1920
pokkeherrie
invito al cielo

I'm a fan of Loew, actually. But yeah, it's definitely not a lack of good players, because they have plenty of those. Read some interesting article not too long ago about how the strength in German teams from the past used to be that they could compensate a lack of technique/skills with incredible team spirit and willpower, while this generation seems to be the exact opposite of that. Lots of skill in the team, but until now they have every time sort of broken mentally and then stopped fighting at some point in the big tournaments (twice versus both Italy in Spain in the last 4 tournaments). That's going to be the thing for Loew to tackle before 2014.
86939495 96 979899106146196596 > »
-->

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth