Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page Sleater-Kinney are Back
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 01.13.2015, 12:22 PM   #121
evollove
invito al cielo

evollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's asses
Not sure what you mean, but Elizabeth Moss, Fred's ex, said the greatest impression he does is of a normal person. Great line, even if it might not be true. Who knows.

Is it just me or has NPR been shoving this band down our throats lately? Yet this is the only promo that really matters. NPR cares way too much whether or not I care.
evollove is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.13.2015, 03:11 PM   #122
evollove
invito al cielo

evollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bytor Peltor
To be truthful, I'm not all that sure what I'm talking about

Now I'm confused. Is there something juicy circulating?

---

Spun the new one twice. Really don't like it all. "Gimme Love" might be their worst song ever. I can't say what the best one on the record is. Not sure if this means more listens will reveal more layers and I'll eventually love it, or if it's just not that great.

I'm not trying to be a contrary dick. I'd love to love it. Ain't happening yet.

Anyone else not digging it?
Old 01.16.2015, 04:33 PM   #123
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
http://grantland.com/hollywood-prosp...eys-new-album/

SuchFriendsAreDangerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.20.2015, 08:58 PM   #124
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
So tonite i finally realized that All Hands On The Bad One is my third favorite SK record and honestly its contending with Dig Me Out for second behind The Hot Rock which of course is an unassailable masterpiece. The vocals are possibly their best, the production is crisp and balanced, the guitarwork is excellent, the lyrical content very meaningful.. sk lyrics are always my fav, they are so natural and free associative, i just always relate to them like they were my own thoughts and feelings. I hope this new record doesn't let me down, Corin solo stuff lyrically has been as good as any SK material if not also more mature. But Carrie has gotten to unfocused since teaming up with Fred, like her music is inching towards comedy music but not in the fucking deathly cutting satire of Frank Zappa, more like a feminized Weird Al..

Old 01.21.2015, 09:02 AM   #125
evollove
invito al cielo

I think you'll like it. It's very far removed from HOT ROCK, though. It reminds me of DIG or COMBAT, in that it's all uptempo, occasionally dancy. Nothing close to, say, "Size of Our Love," or even "Get Up." Even CALL had the very moving "Heart Attack." Nothing like that here.

Carrie adds some much needed guitar weirdness, although if you thought her vocals were getting annoying, they are full-on cartoony at this point.

Corin's lyrics are almost shockingly poor. She still has something to say but she doesn't say it very poetically. Nothing close to "Like a star dumped into the universe," for example. Some lines actually make me cringe. Her voice is in great shape, though.

Janet is a genius.

I take it they made an easy-to-digest album to attract new fans, and an easy-to-play album to tour behind. This feels like a stopgap, and is musically speaking a few steps back. But I'm sure the live performances will add some juice.

I trust they'll work harder on the next one and make some art. This one has "product" written all over it and six months from now no one will care much about it. All that said, I have no doubt the reviews will be spectacular.
Old 01.21.2015, 02:40 PM   #126
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

Cartoony is exactly where carrie was going in wild flag but that band was fun so it was ok. As to corin, have you heard the last corin record? The lyrics were some of her best. I mean in regards to them being kind of personal and free associative

Old 01.22.2015, 06:14 PM   #127
evollove
invito al cielo

Again, you'll like it. Maybe after a few more spins I'll like it more.

There's a bit on the record Corin sings about getting the kids ready for the day. It feels autobiographical to me. If so, one of those kids was the "baby on the couch" on Combat. That blows my fucking mind, that Corin is sort of chronicling her motherhood in rock. That's not what she's all about, but it's in there. Amazing.

Just formally speaking the lyrics are a bit dippy. I like what she says, just not the boring, clumsy way she says it. But she's clear and direct and I hope she inspires a bunch of 12 year old girls.
Old 01.22.2015, 10:01 PM   #128
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

Kill my Blues is a totally autobiographical family oriented record

Old 01.25.2015, 07:54 PM   #129
The Soup Nazi
invito al cielo

The Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuchFriendsAreDangerous
[...] the fucking deathly cutting satire of Frank Zappa [...]

Zappa is an ENEMY OF ROCK & ROLL.

Anyway, SFAD, if I were you I'd definitely listen to No Cities To Love before the show. I understand your point - in fact, I have managed to avoid a single note from the record thus far because I want to discover it from scratch the first time I spin it, just like with all previous seven albums. (OK, that's not COMPLETELY true; I did hear "Get Up" before getting The Hot Rock). But you, you lucky sumbitch, you get to see 'em LIVE, so play that mofo at least once and then bathe in the glory of the live performances.

"When I see the glory / I ain't gonna worry..."

GADJI BERI BIMBA GLANDRIDI LAULI LONNI CADORI GADJAM A BIM BERI GLASSALA GLANDRIDI E GLASSALA TUFFM I ZIMBRA

The Soup Nazi is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.25.2015, 08:29 PM   #130
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

I just want to get that experience. When i first saw wild flag it was only their second show and there was literally nothing out on internet or youtube. The show was the first hearing ever. I've seen about ten bands or groups that i had the privilege of discovering live having never heard their music before and i loved it. So i'm going to try.. but shit five months is a looooooooooong time to purposely avoid a brand fucking new s-k record from a band whose music im admittedly obsessed with

Old 07.10.2019, 05:43 AM   #131
Judith8
empty page

Judith8 has a couple of kiss-ass net friends
The band will play two shows in New York City including a Halloween concert at the Hammerstein Ballroom. It’s then off to Toronto before more gigs in the Midwest and three performances in Texas clean master apk.
Judith8 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth