Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page Prince
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 05.14.2006, 08:02 PM   #21
The Black Wizards
empty page

The Black Wizards kicks all y'all's assesThe Black Wizards kicks all y'all's assesThe Black Wizards kicks all y'all's assesThe Black Wizards kicks all y'all's assesThe Black Wizards kicks all y'all's assesThe Black Wizards kicks all y'all's assesThe Black Wizards kicks all y'all's assesThe Black Wizards kicks all y'all's assesThe Black Wizards kicks all y'all's assesThe Black Wizards kicks all y'all's assesThe Black Wizards kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Everyneurotic
alright, i got telepathical with mr. toilet.

ugh, brown nose.
The Black Wizards is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.14.2006, 08:02 PM   #22
CHOUT
invito al cielo

CHOUT kicks all y'all's assesCHOUT kicks all y'all's assesCHOUT kicks all y'all's assesCHOUT kicks all y'all's assesCHOUT kicks all y'all's assesCHOUT kicks all y'all's assesCHOUT kicks all y'all's assesCHOUT kicks all y'all's assesCHOUT kicks all y'all's assesCHOUT kicks all y'all's assesCHOUT kicks all y'all's asses
I dig me some Prince. Saw him twice. He's great live.

CHOUT is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.14.2006, 09:03 PM   #23
atari 2600
invito al cielo

atari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's asses
the four you should definitely have are all albums with The Revolution

Around the World in a Day, 1985

Purple Rain, 1984

Sign 'O' The Times, 1987

1999, 1982

atari 2600 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.14.2006, 09:08 PM   #24
truncated
invito al cielo

truncated kicks all y'all's assestruncated kicks all y'all's assestruncated kicks all y'all's assestruncated kicks all y'all's assestruncated kicks all y'all's assestruncated kicks all y'all's assestruncated kicks all y'all's assestruncated kicks all y'all's assestruncated kicks all y'all's assestruncated kicks all y'all's assestruncated kicks all y'all's asses
Atari, you're a crazy fucker, but I love you.

*Edit: "but" interchangeable with "and"
truncated is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.14.2006, 09:11 PM   #25
atari 2600
invito al cielo

atari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's asses
I've extolled the virtues of these particular Prince & the Revolution albums before (in more detail) when the topic arose at the old board.

Like everyone else at the time, I wasn't that crazy about Around the World in a Day when it came out after Purple Rain when I was a teen. Nowadays though, I reach for that one 9 times out of 10. To me, it's his best record. "Tambourine" from that album is Prince by himself, but it ah...suits the subject matter.
I still love that outro from "Take Me With U" though from Purple Rain. I defy any music lover to listen to the end of that song & not be totally blown away. Well, maybe it's just me, but it does it for me every time.

Greg Dulli from Afghan Wigs recently ranked Puple Rain as his all-time favorite. I think he picked Miles Davis' Sketches of Spain as number two. Hopefully that serves to show (at least a little bit) that it's defintely a great album, even after all these years.
Old 05.14.2006, 09:14 PM   #26
truncated
invito al cielo

truncated kicks all y'all's assestruncated kicks all y'all's assestruncated kicks all y'all's assestruncated kicks all y'all's assestruncated kicks all y'all's assestruncated kicks all y'all's assestruncated kicks all y'all's assestruncated kicks all y'all's assestruncated kicks all y'all's assestruncated kicks all y'all's assestruncated kicks all y'all's asses
I think my allegiance will always lie with Purple Rain.

The segue from I Would Die 4 U to Baby I'm a Star - pure poetry.
truncated is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.14.2006, 09:26 PM   #27
atari 2600
invito al cielo

that transition & those 2 songs are the best part of the movie

for sure
& on the record it's the prefect throw-down ramp-up leading to the closing Purple Rain (which is a silly song in some ways)

Prince gets super-musical (but also compostionally focused...he's not very focused these days even though he can, of course, play) on Sign 'o' the Times. The melodies & production are amazing. But Around the World in a Day is even more focused with the concept of each song being near-perfect. There's not a better Prince ballad than "Conditon of the Heart"; pop music simply doesn't get much better than "Raspberry Beret". And in spite of what I just wrote, Prince takes more chances on Around the World in A Day than on any other record he ever made & the majority of it works. He saw his chance to do a really personal record because of the success of Purple Rain. it's just not as easily digestable & straightforward as some of his more well-known albums.
I'm not exactly sure what he was thinking with "Temptation" as the closer...it's really him putting himself out there, but the song is not bad. It's the only slightly weak link on the whole album.
Old 05.14.2006, 09:55 PM   #28
themawt71
the destroyed room

themawt71 kicks all y'all's assesthemawt71 kicks all y'all's assesthemawt71 kicks all y'all's assesthemawt71 kicks all y'all's assesthemawt71 kicks all y'all's assesthemawt71 kicks all y'all's assesthemawt71 kicks all y'all's assesthemawt71 kicks all y'all's assesthemawt71 kicks all y'all's assesthemawt71 kicks all y'all's assesthemawt71 kicks all y'all's asses
"you shake your body like a horny pony would
now run and tell yr momma bout that!"
themawt71 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.14.2006, 10:56 PM   #29
defcon4
little trouble girl

defcon4 has a couple of kiss-ass net friends
Everyone knows about the Revolution records, but no one gives him any credit for his early 90s era. The symbol album is actually pretty good, and Diamonds and Pearls is not the worst thing ever recorded. It's at least got Cream and Gett Off on it. I know that era doesn't compare to his 80s stuff but I don't think the 90s stuff has to be so easily dismissed.
-DC4 (not gay)
defcon4 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.14.2006, 11:20 PM   #30
SpectralJulianIsNotDead
invito al cielo

SpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glice
A quick question: Are sonic youth fans all indie snobs, or do they appreciate the sex-dwarf genius that is Prince? Do SY fans like having sex, or are they all neutered emofags?

Discuss.

Yeah I love Prince. The Batman soundtrack, Sign O the Times, Purple Rain, Around the World in a day, all awesome.

As to the second question: I still got my testes my vas deferens are open and blood boils through my phallus for the beautiful thing we call women.

"GENTLEMEN, LET'S BROADEN OUR MINDS! Lawrence!"

All hail the new king of town
Young and old gather round
Black and White
Red and Green
The funkiest thing
You ever seen
Tell U what his name is
Partyman! Partyman!
Rock a party like nobody can!
Rules and regulations - no place in his nation
Partyman! Partyman!
Party people - say it now: YEAH, YEAH, YEAH, YEAH!
SpectralJulianIsNotDead is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.15.2006, 01:33 AM   #31
val-holla-ing
invito al cielo

val-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by truncated
I'm sorry - could you repeat that?

The lack of Prince's due adulation in this thread has just made me lose what little faith in humanity I had left.

yes! every song on this album is amazing! my only gripe is that he left out "god" and the songs that morris day and the time performed in the movie.

-cam'ron

(formerly "no homo")
val-holla-ing is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.15.2006, 01:36 AM   #32
val-holla-ing
invito al cielo

val-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's asses
prince was definitely my first real musical obsession. purple rain and the soundtrack from "around the world in a day" are so damn good.

"musicology" was brilliant and "3121" wasn't that bad (even though he went overboard with the vocoder).

-cam'ron

(formerly "no homo")
Old 05.15.2006, 02:31 AM   #33
DemonBox
the end of the ugly

DemonBox kicks all y'all's assesDemonBox kicks all y'all's assesDemonBox kicks all y'all's assesDemonBox kicks all y'all's assesDemonBox kicks all y'all's assesDemonBox kicks all y'all's assesDemonBox kicks all y'all's assesDemonBox kicks all y'all's assesDemonBox kicks all y'all's assesDemonBox kicks all y'all's assesDemonBox kicks all y'all's asses
So what about dirty mind?? That's a great record. Includes my favorite prince song ever "Sister". And "Partyup"..

"You've gonna have to figth yr own damn war,
cuz we dont wanna figth no more!"
DemonBox is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.15.2006, 02:50 AM   #34
EyeballGrowth
the end of the ugly

EyeballGrowth kicks all y'all's assesEyeballGrowth kicks all y'all's assesEyeballGrowth kicks all y'all's assesEyeballGrowth kicks all y'all's assesEyeballGrowth kicks all y'all's assesEyeballGrowth kicks all y'all's assesEyeballGrowth kicks all y'all's assesEyeballGrowth kicks all y'all's assesEyeballGrowth kicks all y'all's assesEyeballGrowth kicks all y'all's assesEyeballGrowth kicks all y'all's asses
Yes unfortunately lots of SY fans are Emo-retards. No wonder they can't appreciate Purple Rain and Sign O' the Times which are both amazing. There isn't a single bad song on Purple Rain, even though I usually skip " When doves cry "

the beautiful ones, always smash the picture
always..... everytime

Heh I used to have around the world in a day but I gave it to my friend because i don't like it. It's really cheesy but it's hilarious to listen to. I can't listen to it without hysterically laughing. I liked 1999 but i just couldn't get into Around the world in a day.

but yes, Prince's albums with the Revolution are fucking awesome. If you're gonna listen to Prince, listen to the albums he made with the Revolution. I listened to 3121, a major dissappointment. Only liked track 1, the rest was boring crapola
EyeballGrowth is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.15.2006, 10:07 AM   #35
silverfreepress (sdasher)
the destroyed room

silverfreepress (sdasher) kicks all y'all's assessilverfreepress (sdasher) kicks all y'all's assessilverfreepress (sdasher) kicks all y'all's assessilverfreepress (sdasher) kicks all y'all's assessilverfreepress (sdasher) kicks all y'all's assessilverfreepress (sdasher) kicks all y'all's assessilverfreepress (sdasher) kicks all y'all's assessilverfreepress (sdasher) kicks all y'all's assessilverfreepress (sdasher) kicks all y'all's assessilverfreepress (sdasher) kicks all y'all's assessilverfreepress (sdasher) kicks all y'all's asses
Without Prince the world would have ended 15 years ago. You'd better go pick some violets and have them FED-EX'd to him stat. You owe him.
silverfreepress (sdasher) is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.15.2006, 02:15 PM   #36
sonicl
invito al cielo

sonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's asses
Uh-oh here she come
She got them gold hot pants on again
Yeah man
I wanna talk, but i dunno

She's a peach

She was dark, she was tan
She made me glad to be a man
She was young, she was smart
Just one glance and she stole my heart
The kinda girl you wanna teach

She's a peach

Summertime, feelin' fine, getting wild
All that's on my mind
Here she come, dressed in red
Get her done, is all that's in my head
Her hot pants can't hide her cheeks

She's a peach

She was pure, every ounce
I was sure, when her titties bounced
Every way, she's a winner
Turn a gay preacher to a sinner
No one you want your mama meet

She's a peach

This is a girl plays hard 2 get

I would die if i kissed her
I would try, but i'm last on her list
She's so cool and i'm so ugly
I'd be a fool, to think she could love me
This kinda girl's always out of reach

She's a peach

Best lyrics ever.

sonicl is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.15.2006, 02:23 PM   #37
h8kurdt
invito al cielo

h8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's asses
I saw him on the brit awards doin a medley of songs. I was blown away by that I've been meaning to buy the purple rain album after seeing him do it.

Down with this sort of thing.
h8kurdt is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.15.2006, 02:40 PM   #38
johnnywinternoshow
the end of the ugly

johnnywinternoshow kicks all y'all's assesjohnnywinternoshow kicks all y'all's assesjohnnywinternoshow kicks all y'all's assesjohnnywinternoshow kicks all y'all's assesjohnnywinternoshow kicks all y'all's assesjohnnywinternoshow kicks all y'all's assesjohnnywinternoshow kicks all y'all's assesjohnnywinternoshow kicks all y'all's assesjohnnywinternoshow kicks all y'all's assesjohnnywinternoshow kicks all y'all's assesjohnnywinternoshow kicks all y'all's asses
prince is king! I'm another dirty mind fan, i loved it the second i saw the photo on the front

this is definately the evilest and most jamaican sounding prince cover ever
http://rapidshare.de/files/20544076/...e_dub.mp3.html
johnnywinternoshow is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.15.2006, 03:14 PM   #39
EyeballGrowth
the end of the ugly

EyeballGrowth kicks all y'all's assesEyeballGrowth kicks all y'all's assesEyeballGrowth kicks all y'all's assesEyeballGrowth kicks all y'all's assesEyeballGrowth kicks all y'all's assesEyeballGrowth kicks all y'all's assesEyeballGrowth kicks all y'all's assesEyeballGrowth kicks all y'all's assesEyeballGrowth kicks all y'all's assesEyeballGrowth kicks all y'all's assesEyeballGrowth kicks all y'all's asses
The brit awards was crazy, he played Purple Rain and Let's go crazy. Good but I wish he'd done Darling Nikki or The Beautiful Ones or Computer Blue
EyeballGrowth is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.15.2006, 10:44 PM   #40
val-holla-ing
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by EyeballGrowth
The brit awards was crazy, he played Purple Rain and Let's go crazy. Good but I wish he'd done Darling Nikki or The Beautiful Ones or Computer Blue

i like to think of the beautiful ones, computer blue, and darling nikki as a medley because they're the most intense songs on that album (saving the end of purple rain).

-cam'ron

(formerly "no homo")

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth