Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page Do you believe that the grunge is dead?
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 06.19.2007, 10:37 AM   #61
gmku
invito al cielo

gmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's asses
I still like Bleach. The reason I no longer play much other Nirvana is I so overplayed back in its day. I like Mudhoney, too.
Old 06.19.2007, 11:16 AM   #62
Everyneurotic
invito al cielo

Everyneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's asses
the grunge, hahahahaha

it's not "grunge" like it used to be, now it's THE grunge

BOW DOWN MERE MORTALS, FOR 'TIS THE MIGHTY FLANNEL IN YOUR PRESENCE.
Everyneurotic is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.20.2007, 09:36 AM   #63
GrungeMonkey
100%

GrungeMonkey cold hard suckaGrungeMonkey cold hard suckaGrungeMonkey cold hard suckaGrungeMonkey cold hard suckaGrungeMonkey cold hard suckaGrungeMonkey cold hard suckaGrungeMonkey cold hard suckaGrungeMonkey cold hard suckaGrungeMonkey cold hard suckaGrungeMonkey cold hard suckaGrungeMonkey cold hard sucka
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmku
I still like Bleach. The reason I no longer play much other Nirvana is I so overplayed back in its day. I like Mudhoney, too.

Yeah, I got into Nirvana at about 13 and played them all the time, I was completely obsessed. I played Nevermind for the first time in years yesterday. I must say that I still love it. Even though its cooler to like In Utero more...
GrungeMonkey is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.20.2007, 12:59 PM   #64
andrei
expwy. to yr skull

andrei kicks all y'all's assesandrei kicks all y'all's assesandrei kicks all y'all's assesandrei kicks all y'all's assesandrei kicks all y'all's assesandrei kicks all y'all's assesandrei kicks all y'all's assesandrei kicks all y'all's assesandrei kicks all y'all's assesandrei kicks all y'all's assesandrei kicks all y'all's asses
- 80% of the board members of this board liked Nirvana at some point.
- 90% of those who hate Nirvana now, worshiped them back in the days.
- 19% of those who really dislike them are from USA or UK, and this is just because they have the opportunity to see/listen/buy other underground/indie bands. The rest 1% are from other European civilised countries.
- 97% of 20% who dislike Nirvana, listened at least 10 times Nevermind, did not change the channel at least 20 times when Smells like teen spirit video was aired and were not clipping when they saw (for the first time) Where Did You Sleep Last Night? unplugged performance.
- 99% of 20% haters, shaked their feet under the table when SLTS was played in the bar/club where they drink a beer and discuss music with their friends. (Same thing with shakeing heads, and preteding they have muscle stuck or something like that when someone was asking why is shaking his head on Nirvana).
- 99% of 20% haters, feel sad/bad/awfull when they heard Cobain is dead, even they said "fuck him, now it's better" when thier friends were around. The rest 1% are retarded.
- 100% of the ones who knew that they liked Nirvana back in the days and now are talking shit on this board, just because they have internet and the possibility to download some fucking indie music and embrace the special/intellectual/or whatever attitude can SUCK MY DICK
andrei is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.20.2007, 01:34 PM   #65
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
Every generation has it's key band. That's fine, and I appreciate that you aren't one of those that tries to ram their significance down people's throats. I'm sure that they did open doors for loads of people to discover new things. I'd never put them down on any level like that. But up until they released Nevermind they really were considered a second-rate sub-pop act by an waful lot of people. Then, when they released Nevermind, and in particular SLTS, we just sort of shrugged our shoulders, muttered something about Killing Joke and carried on with our lives. Our loss maybe, but that's how it was for lots of people.

We knew about bands like The Melvins, Killdozer, Mudhoney, Dinosaur Jnr, etc. But at the time they just went under the heading of Noise. We'd never even heard the term Grunge until much later after the fact.

I love the way a band like Nirvana have managed to capture so many people's imagination. But I know I can speak for at least a few other British posters pushing the wrong side of 30 when I say they meant next to nothing to us.
demonrail666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.20.2007, 01:36 PM   #66
andrei
expwy. to yr skull

andrei kicks all y'all's assesandrei kicks all y'all's assesandrei kicks all y'all's assesandrei kicks all y'all's assesandrei kicks all y'all's assesandrei kicks all y'all's assesandrei kicks all y'all's assesandrei kicks all y'all's assesandrei kicks all y'all's assesandrei kicks all y'all's assesandrei kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by swa(y)
im also going to add that as far as the younger people go...likeing nirvana may seem "cliche". fuck, it probally does to some of the older people.

even though they are one of my fav. bands, i dont ussualy feel the need to state it when discussing music with people (esp. people ive just met) not out of embarrasment...just...everyone knows about nirvana.

i do however rarely fail to mention that they are one of thebands that "got me into music". they did.

if it wasnt for nirvana i probally wouldnt have ever checked out sonic youth, the butthole surfers, or meat puppets.

certainly not the melvins.

and damn sure not earth.

depsite what anyone says, i think nirvna did alot of good things.

yeah... i don't like to speak about nirvana with others, just because everytime there is a prick with his stupid slogan "Nirvana is shit" or "Kurt Cobain is messiah" (both are so pathetic). And i try to avoid the explaination why Nirvana it is not quite a shit and why Kurt Cobain is not messiah (who the fuck in 21th Century still believes in Messiah?).

If it wasn't Nirvana 99% of those fucking indie/special/butt-fucked kids (not neccesary kids, a grown man can be stupid as well), now were praying to god for a Def Lepard / Warrant / Guns 'n Roses reunion or they were nominateing Slipknot or Marilyn Manson for the title of Messiah
Old 06.20.2007, 01:38 PM   #67
sarramkrop

I adore Nirvana, but apart from making me discover Shonen Knife, they haven't opened any doors for me at all. In fact it looks like they have damaged people's ability to open those doors. That said, I'm a huge fan of them.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.20.2007, 01:44 PM   #68
andrei
expwy. to yr skull

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarramkrop
In fact it looks like they have damaged people's ability to open those doors.

Are you reffering to this retard who thinks Cobain was Messiah?
Old 06.20.2007, 01:46 PM   #69
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
I prefer Guns n Roses to Nirvana. so shoot me.
demonrail666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.20.2007, 01:55 PM   #70
andrei
expwy. to yr skull

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonrail666
I love the way a band like Nirvana have managed to capture so many people's imagination. But I know I can speak for at least a few other British posters pushing the wrong side of 30 when I say they meant next to nothing to us.

I understand... some people care less or more.
But this wasn't my point. I don't really care if someone like or not Nirvana. I've just wanted to point to the hypocrite posts of some boarders.
Old 06.20.2007, 02:49 PM   #71
pbradley
invito al cielo

pbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's asses
I dig some Nirvana, not all. But I'm one that saw them towards the very end and only after the fact that I really looked into their music. I bet if I was old enough to have been apart of the scene I would have been a bigger fan. Now, really, I just have In Utero and the Unplugged gig.
pbradley is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.20.2007, 03:25 PM   #72
sarramkrop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sn@ke
i love how people like to post on some stupid thread started by some 14 year old on his nirvana-grunge phase.

...don't get me wrong, i like nirvana.

Wow, maybe i should start a thread about "do you believe that shoegaze is dead?" to get more than 2 replies....I mean...it doesn't take that much to post some lyrics...If you can list 100 stupid bands you can post some stupid lyrics...

.....whatever, this is why I don't start threads around here.....but I promise to start "interesting" threads from now on.

next thread: "Does Kurt Trollain represents everything that grunge is as musical movement?. Please name one grunge personality that is still alive and represents what Kurt Troolain did back in the 80's."

You post in said threads, you're as much a stupid person as anyone. Noone asked you to start this or that, and it's not guarantee that they would be successful, anyway. Get over the superiority complex, you're just like everyone else. You have an internet connection.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.20.2007, 03:30 PM   #73
pantophobia
expwy. to yr skull

pantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarramkrop
In fact it looks like they have damaged people's ability to open those doors. That said, I'm a huge fan of them.

it is quite true, most of the bands i starting looking into and listened that were influenced by them i stopped listening to, partially cause they were only inspired some of more simple aspects of the band like the vocal modulation and chord structure, but didn't have the songwriting chops or the vocal intensity which for the most part i haven't seen in a band influenced directly by them reproduce

and i was thinking this, while it seems like his lyrics are very simplistic now and not so deep, it's really because they have been the most overly analyzed band outside of the Beatles lyrically so everyone at this point knows every single thing about what he said, if people haven't gone to the extent they have, a good bit of it may have not fully been realized,

sonics on the other hand while alot is known, there are quite a few songs that are still very deeply personal and many of the euphemisms haven't been explained and stories not told
pantophobia is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.20.2007, 03:36 PM   #74
sarramkrop

Quote:
Originally Posted by pantophobia
it is quite true, most of the bands i starting looking into and listened that were influenced by them i stopped listening to, partially cause they were only inspired some of more simple aspects of the band like the vocal modulation and chord structure, but didn't have the songwriting chops or the vocal intensity which for the most part i haven't seen in a band influenced directly by them reproduce

and i was thinking this, while it seems like his lyrics are very simplistic now and not so deep, it's really because they have been the most overly analyzed band outside of the Beatles lyrically so everyone at this point knows every single thing about what he said, if people haven't gone to the extent they have, a good bit of it may have not fully been realized,

sonics on the other hand while alot is known, there are quite a few songs that are still very deeply personal and many of the euphemisms haven't been explained and stories not told

I find Nirvana's lyrics quite intimate, regardless of the totally spot on post that you make. Whatever happened into young porkmarras, I preserved them for future days.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.21.2007, 10:06 AM   #75
luxinterior
invito al cielo

luxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by demonrail666
I prefer Guns n Roses to Nirvana. so shoot me.

I do a spot-on imitation of Axl Rose.

"I sweat like a fucking nun on Sunday...I don't even know what that means."
- Sebastian Bach

luxinterior is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth