Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page Do you believe that the grunge is dead?
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 06.17.2007, 07:49 PM   #21
Everyneurotic
invito al cielo

Everyneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's asses
again, what movement? what genre? rip off things from the past, tune down and be smelly?

i love candlebox though.
Everyneurotic is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.17.2007, 08:00 PM   #22
Danny Himself
invito al cielo

Danny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's asses
All sounds like Foghat to me.
Danny Himself is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.17.2007, 10:31 PM   #23
terminal pharmacy
invito al cielo

terminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's asses
"grunge's not dead it just deserves to die when it becomes another stale cartoon" just to paraphrase jello biafra
terminal pharmacy is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.17.2007, 10:59 PM   #24
pbradley
invito al cielo

pbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's asses
There are really people out there that are willing to defend that all this sterile balladeering dude rock is grunge? Nostalgic bastards.
pbradley is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.17.2007, 11:17 PM   #25
Norma J
invito al cielo

Norma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's asses
Buzzo, if your age in your profile is correct then you'd have only been 3 at the height of the Nirvana phenonemon, the time grudge had it's turn at the mainstream.

My point? Considering all this, it's ironic you've made the posts you have and believing they're the gospel and all.
Old 06.18.2007, 05:43 AM   #26
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by fuentes
grunge is death

Tend to agree with this line, whether Fuentes meant it like this or not.

Grunge meant nothing to me at the time and still doesn't, except for a lot of sub-standard bands getting a lot of air-time in the early 90s.

It also had the effect of making metal seem cool, which is never a good thing.
demonrail666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.18.2007, 06:34 AM   #27
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by swa(y)
whats wrong with metal?

seems we reached a point, probally in the 80s (due to tons of shit metal bands) thats its "cool" to say metal is "uncool".

i hate the term "metal" just cause the words sounds equivalent to being smashed in the temple with a chain, but still...there are tons of good "metal" bands.

black sabbath are all right by me.

I love Sabbath too, but they gave us the uber-pointless Stoner Rock.
Old 06.18.2007, 06:50 AM   #28
thewall91
children of satan

thewall91 kicks all y'all's assesthewall91 kicks all y'all's assesthewall91 kicks all y'all's assesthewall91 kicks all y'all's assesthewall91 kicks all y'all's assesthewall91 kicks all y'all's assesthewall91 kicks all y'all's assesthewall91 kicks all y'all's assesthewall91 kicks all y'all's assesthewall91 kicks all y'all's assesthewall91 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
It also had the effect of making metal seem cool, which is never a good thing.

actually, grunge killed metal, and most metal fans hate it for that fact. when the movement happened, i was a part of it and threw away my poison posters and pretended that i never liked those '80s bands (go ahead, give me your "poison's not metal" comments now). grunge was as angry and depressing as everyone says it was, and now that i'm not a teenager that wants to feel angry and depressed, i'd much rather listen to "nothin' but a good time" than "rape me." i still like both genres, but my shame is gone.
thewall91 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.18.2007, 06:51 AM   #29
demonrail666
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewall91
actually, grunge killed metal, and most metal fans hate it for that fact.

It didn't kill metal, it just rewrote its history.
Old 06.18.2007, 06:56 AM   #30
sarramkrop

Grunge didn't kill anything, partly because the metal genre has always been capable of absorbing more influences than the hard rock that came out from indie labels. Also, most metal bands worth a mention never really enjoyed the same amount of success that some of the bands mentioned on this thread have. Metal (in a few of its incarnations) is a much more determined genre than the grunge tag.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.18.2007, 07:41 AM   #31
Washing Machine
expwy. to yr skull

Washing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's asses
I never really think of Grudge. Alterative rock, 90's indie and GenX are the terms that come to mind, all as equally unhelpful.

I think the period itself was important when you think of all the great bands that came out (or were exposed) in that period. I'm utterly fasinated personally with that era of music, possibly because some of my favourite records came out during that periods - Siamese Dream, Spiderland, Crooked Rain, Crooked Rain. I dont believe Grunge is that important. I think its the spirit of the period generally.
Old 06.18.2007, 09:02 AM   #33
sellouteater
the end of the ugly

sellouteater cold hard suckasellouteater cold hard suckasellouteater cold hard suckasellouteater cold hard suckasellouteater cold hard suckasellouteater cold hard suckasellouteater cold hard suckasellouteater cold hard suckasellouteater cold hard suckasellouteater cold hard suckasellouteater cold hard sucka
if it werent for grunge you wouldn't have all the annoying teenyboppers like myshelf that got into sonic youth and indie music from nirvana. You would've missed out on all our great perspecitives.
Old 06.18.2007, 09:06 AM   #34
Everyneurotic
invito al cielo

Everyneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's asses
actually, i didn't get into and hated sonic youth because of the grunge association (i mean, the elitist, pseudo intellectual, nirvana worshipping, spin magazine style grunge/indie).

it took me many years to stop hating sy and take them for their music alone.
Everyneurotic is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.18.2007, 09:20 AM   #35
sellouteater
the end of the ugly

sellouteater cold hard suckasellouteater cold hard suckasellouteater cold hard suckasellouteater cold hard suckasellouteater cold hard suckasellouteater cold hard suckasellouteater cold hard suckasellouteater cold hard suckasellouteater cold hard suckasellouteater cold hard suckasellouteater cold hard sucka
ok then... if it weren't for grunge you wouldn't have me on this website. at least not yet maybe not for years later. think of everything you would have missed out on.
Old 06.18.2007, 09:37 AM   #36
fuentes
empty page

fuentes chews with a vagina dentata
What's the matter with the grunge? If you don't like it dont listen it but don't say that the grunge sucks because you can think that the grunge never existed but many people considers it a way to live and the first thing that wen need is the respect, I can say that the metal sucks, the no wave sucks... and so one but the first thing is the respect.
And one thing swa(y) do you really think that nirvana is a PUNK BAND???
fuentes is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.18.2007, 09:38 AM   #37
sellouteater
the end of the ugly

^ Like Omg Wtf^
Old 06.18.2007, 09:48 AM   #38
sarramkrop

Maybe he means that the accomodation of choice for many grungers is under a bridge, just like Cobain.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.18.2007, 09:50 AM   #39
sellouteater
the end of the ugly

it also means you have to be a herion adicted bisexual and blow yr brains out that would be hardcore grunge lifestyle
Old 06.18.2007, 10:27 AM   #40
gmku
invito al cielo

gmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by fuentes
Later the end of Soundgarden, Layne Staley's death and, of course, Kurt Cobain's death, many people say that the grunge is death, but Pearl Jam are still performing and and mounting multitudinous concerts, what do you think?

No, I don't believe it. It's simply unbelievable. Completely unbelievable. In fact, I think it's a lie.

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth