Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page where the fuck's the running best of 2015 thread you bitches
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 12.06.2015, 05:39 PM   #41
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Soup Nazi

Would you mind terribly telling me the names of a couple of these? Most of them are obvious, but two in particular look very familiar and yet I can't place them.

The one with the weird plastic covered hand coming up from under the water?
The one with the cow skull and the flowers coming out from its head?

I swear I know what these are, but I can't place either one.
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.06.2015, 06:15 PM   #42
The Soup Nazi
invito al cielo

The Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Severian
Would you mind terribly telling me the names of a couple of these? Most of them are obvious, but two in particular look very familiar and yet I can't place them.

The one with the weird plastic covered hand coming up from under the water?

Kara-Lis Coverdale's Aftertouches.

Quote:
The one with the cow skull and the flowers coming out from its head?

Steve Gunn & Black Twig Pickers' Seasonal Hire.

EDIT: By the way, I can't believe I'm the first one to mention Laurie Anderson's Heart Of A Dog. The hell is wrong with you peoples?

GADJI BERI BIMBA GLANDRIDI LAULI LONNI CADORI GADJAM A BIM BERI GLASSALA GLANDRIDI E GLASSALA TUFFM I ZIMBRA

The Soup Nazi is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.06.2015, 06:26 PM   #43
The Soup Nazi
invito al cielo

The Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
You're like the only person I've heard talk about Disappears here (apart from the obvious SY connection).
I'm pretty sure there have been a number of posts about Disappears on this board, even discounting Steve's (former) membership.

Quote:
I have been a big fan of their since the start, but I didn't get into Irreal for some reason.
Not a surprise that you got into Disappears early, since you dig Spacemen 3 and similar-ish bands. Right now I think Irreal is their fucking BEST. Lux and Guider established the band's identity; Pre Language gave the style critical mass, a harder rocking bite and (as good as the first two albums are) took 'em out of the one-trick pony danger. Era and Irreal sound darker and more idiosyncratic to me, but while the former is rather monochromatic in its opression (I do need to give it more spins, though), the latter is, for their standards, virtually bursting with dynamics. So if you don't get into Irreal you're in for some serious bitch-slapping.

Quote:
And I haven't heard the Live record, but I'm dying to.
That LP is THE SHIT. Faithful to Bowie's album, but (as far as I know) performed just with two guitars, bass, drums... and an arsenal of effects pedals — that's how they managed to make the guitars sound exactly like the keyboards on "Warszawa", I guess! The final moments of "Always Crashing In The Same Car" and "A New Career In A New Town", on the other hand, recall Television's dirtier (read: live) sound, at least a bit.

Now, if you're gonna reply to any of this, do your best to make it concise, insightful and to the point, because I have an apocalyptic computer virus ready to jump into your system if once again you ramble the fuck on and bore us to death.

GADJI BERI BIMBA GLANDRIDI LAULI LONNI CADORI GADJAM A BIM BERI GLASSALA GLANDRIDI E GLASSALA TUFFM I ZIMBRA

Old 12.07.2015, 12:53 AM   #44
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Kara-Lis Coverdale's Aftertouches.

Steve Gunn & Black Twig Pickers' Seasonal Hire.

EDIT: By the way, I can't believe I'm the first one to mention Laurie Anderson's Heart Of A Dog. The hell is wrong with you peoples?

Hey that's the one! I don't have it but meant to get it because I really enjoy the band. Was just listening to Jack Rose & The Black Twig Pickers yesterday. Thanks!

Re: Disappears - I just ordered the Low: Live in Chicago double LP from Sonic Cathedral.
Old 12.07.2015, 04:05 PM   #45
The Soup Nazi
invito al cielo

Quote:
Hey that's the one! I don't have it but meant to get it because I really enjoy the band. Was just listening to Jack Rose & The Black Twig Pickers yesterday. Thanks!

Re: Disappears - I just ordered the Low: Live in Chicago double LP from Sonic Cathedral.

It's a single LP. The pic shows the A & B sides, not two separate discs:

Digital version available from bandcamp for £7 (if you order the vinyl you get a bandcamp free download code). Aftertouches is also on bandcamp, by the way, for $7 (the $6 tape is long fuckin' gone — edition of 100... ).

Old 12.07.2015, 04:17 PM   #46
evollove
invito al cielo

evollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's asses
Whew. I just sat through all of Soup's GIF.
evollove is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.07.2015, 04:31 PM   #47
The Soup Nazi
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by evollove
Whew. I just sat through all of Soup's GIF.

And your verdict is...?

Old 12.07.2015, 05:37 PM   #48
evollove
invito al cielo

evollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's asses
I'm a little high. I meant the one in your signature. Although it's interesting (depressing?) to compare the two.

I've seen the one in your sig plenty of times, of course, but I don't think I ever sat through the entire cycle. My verdict of that stuff seems unnecessary. It's about 87% my collection. And if it's not at least 50% of someone else's, I might have trouble entertaining their opinion about very much.
Old 12.07.2015, 06:20 PM   #49
The Soup Nazi
invito al cielo

Quote:
I'm a little high. I meant the one in your signature.

I knew that. That string of album covers is rather outdated, though — when did I set it up, five years ago or so? "Funny how time slips away..."

Quote:
It's about 87% my collection. And if it's not at least 50% of someone else's, I might have trouble entertaining their opinion about very much.

Tru dat... "Fuck 'em in the ear! Fuck 'em in the OTHER ear!"

Quote:
Although it's interesting (depressing?) to compare the two.

My "best of 2015" gif is fuckin' awesome and there's nothing you can do about it.

Old 12.08.2015, 05:29 AM   #50
Diesel
the destroyed room

Diesel kicks all y'all's assesDiesel kicks all y'all's assesDiesel kicks all y'all's assesDiesel kicks all y'all's assesDiesel kicks all y'all's assesDiesel kicks all y'all's assesDiesel kicks all y'all's assesDiesel kicks all y'all's assesDiesel kicks all y'all's assesDiesel kicks all y'all's assesDiesel kicks all y'all's asses
The year:
Quite like that Depression Cherry album from Beach House. INNIT!

Pinkshinyultrablast - yea, Enya-fronting shoegaze band..

and Ian Brown mbv sy wankers Rats on rafts delivered
Diesel is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.09.2015, 02:03 PM   #51
dead_battery
expwy. to yr skull

dead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's asses
noone has mentioned slip aple - virtual 9/11 yet.

best 9/11 themed vaporwave album of this year at least
dead_battery is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.09.2015, 06:36 PM   #52
evollove
invito al cielo

Quote:
My "best of 2015" gif is fuckin' awesome and there's nothing you can do about it.

Could you pick a particularly good track off each album? I mean, I know you could. Will you?
Old 12.21.2015, 08:23 PM   #53
The Soup Nazi
invito al cielo

Quote:
Re: Disappears - I just ordered the Low: Live in Chicago LP from Sonic Cathedral.

Did you receive this one yet? I haven't. Sonic Cathedral did ask me to wait 28 days, but I thought they were mostly being cautious...

Old 12.21.2015, 09:32 PM   #54
Severian
invito al cielo

Nope. Mine still hasn't arrived.
Old 12.22.2015, 04:33 PM   #55
The Soup Nazi
invito al cielo

Quote:
Nope. Mine still hasn't arrived.

I got my copy today!

Old 01.04.2016, 04:36 AM   #56
the end of the ugly

guest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
I never really have before honestly. I heard one of their earlier albums... Lonerism maybe... And I liked the Tame Impala guest spot on Flaming Lips & Heady Fwends...

I just decided to try the new album after hearing a ton of really good reviews.

It's alright. There's something Flaming Lips-y about TI. I like space rock and psychedelia. But I'm really not a fan. I just happen to think Currents is fairly good. They're certainly nothing special, that's for sure. But not everything has to be awesome. It's just a good alt rock album, in an era when there aren't many.

I'd rather be listening to Actress, and I do listen to Actress. A lot. So, quit busting my balls.
sorry for the slownessssssss

apologies dude not having a go at you, it's just from my perspective tame impala are representative of something (or I suppose nothing) which seems wholly antithetical to so much else of what's represented in your list. I mean just on a cursory glance I can't see how you can reconcile say tame impala or jamie xx, godspeed etc with o'rourke/ambarchi, fsa, sightings in that the former invariably trade in stock emotional provocation whereas the latter so unflinchingly deliver singular music as if to protest how deliberately milquetoast the others are. which of course isn't to say that an individualistic streak equates to great music, because that's obviously a complete load of shit.

but hey. whatever. to each their own. I can't unravel my logic here.

guest is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.04.2016, 11:11 AM   #57
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by guest
sorry for the slownessssssss

apologies dude not having a go at you, it's just from my perspective tame impala are representative of something (or I suppose nothing) which seems wholly antithetical to so much else of what's represented in your list. I mean just on a cursory glance I can't see how you can reconcile say tame impala or jamie xx, godspeed etc with o'rourke/ambarchi, fsa, sightings in that the former invariably trade in stock emotional provocation whereas the latter so unflinchingly deliver singular music as if to protest how deliberately milquetoast the others are. which of course isn't to say that an individualistic streak equates to great music, because that's obviously a complete load of shit.

but hey. whatever. to each their own. I can't unravel my logic here.

No worries man. I wasn't (how do kids in the Midwest say.... ah, yes! "butt hurt") .. I wasn't "butt hurt" about it. Especially because I really, really, honestly, do not have any connection at all to Tame Impala. They didn't come anywhere close to my actual year-end list; list I posted was just a list of the albums I'd purchased in 2015, by month of release. And I don't know if I ever listened to Currents more than once all the way through. But hey, what can I say, it's not the crappest alt rocky album of the year.

As for reconciling really populous, fan servicing artists like Tame Impala and Jamie XX with noise and punk and experimental bands... There's no reconciliation to be done! I am, in my heart of hearts, a post punk and noise rock dude, with a good amount of electronic and hip-hop thrown in... But that doesn't mean I don't let my ears make the final decisions. I will not claim I don't like an album or a song if my ears and brain tell me I do.

So, while I'm never going to give as much of a fuck about dumb, ear candy pop as I do about Fugazi and Sonic Youth, Wire and Can, FSA or Unwound, I still will buy a record if the record sounds good to me. So I bought Tame Impala's record because the singles sounded good to me. Same with Jamie xx, though that album quickly lost its charm. I can't believe everyone's kissing his ass when Prefuse 73 and Squarepusher and HudMo and Botany are being ignored entirely. (Nobody can say that mogherfucker is more talented than Tom Jenkinson... bitch, please!)

Anyway, I see where you're coming from and all, but I'm just not that hung up on the political side of things anymore.

Also, I don't really think there's just cause to lump Godspeed in with Tame Impala and Jamie xx... (yet).

Godspeed's album this year wasn't any kind of revelation, but nothing they've done since ...Antennas to Heaven has really been a massive progression anyway. Yanqui was top knotch, but not a high point, and since their reunion they've dropped these two albums that sound more or less like b-side or demos collections. But the albums still pack a punch, and they're still following their own path. Have you heard Jerusalem In My Heart? Anyway, I'd say all things considered they're more on the Ambarchi/sightings/FSA side of things than the Tame Impala/Jamie xx/Coldplay side of things. For now.

Peace, brother.
Old 01.04.2016, 11:17 AM   #58
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
I got my copy today!

Mine came in the mail, finally... was going to mention it but didn't find myself back in this thread.

Anyway, what a fucking incredibly perfect cover album! I hate to say it, but this puts The Lips to shame. Maybe they should have taken their Sgt. Pepper's cover more seriously.... or stayed away from the holy grail of rock albums and tried their hand at the white album instead.

I appreciate your recommending this. I'd kinda fallen off with Disappears, as I mentioned some time ago. Your pushiness forced me to give Irreal another go, and I'm damn glad I did, but I think Low is even better. And being a massive fan of the album, I'm probably a rather harsh critic. But this is truly excellent.

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth