Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page louder's hip-hop café IV
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 01.23.2015, 04:55 AM   #101
louder
invito al cielo

louder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Severian
Yeah I saw you were kinda trippin on the song lengths. I actually wrote a pretty hefty reply to that "my biggest problem is that Lupe be the one doing the rapping" comment, but I lost it...

I was going to give you some shit for being super hard to read, but now it seems like you hadn't heard the record at te time? And now you have and you're digging it?

I hope so, because I've always been like warm on Lupe. I liked the Cool, and I thought I liked Food & Liquor (a recent spin of the 5-year anniversary edition-- which come on... Who does a 5-year anniversary edition of anything?-- kinda bored me to tears and I was forced to reconsider my entire opinion of the album).... I never listened to Lazers, and I'm not sure why I was excited for this record but... Jesus, it's really goddamn artful. It's thematic, cinematic and BIG like a slightly more airy, pop friendly MBDTF. It's got that lovely cover art
(Is that design by the same guy who did the packaging for 808's?) and mostly it's fresh as hell.

"Mural" is my jam right now. What a killer track.

Other tracks don't necessitate the length... Like "Chopper," which would have been perfectly fitting as a 3 minute banger.... Some of the songs sound a bit out of place next to the more (can't believe I'm saying this) George & Ira Gershwin-like beauty of "Summer," "Mural," "Dots & Lines," "Fall," "Madonna.." Etc.

But the lesser songs have a lot to love about them. (Though there was no need to rhyme "FARTS" with "art" and "smart" on "Adoration of the Magi"... Really, that was totally uncalled for. Haha)

I think it's safe to praise Lupe for taking some chances. This may well be his MBDTF, and while it's got nothing on Ye, It's still an admirable attempt to prog-out hip hop. Plus, I like the Anime references

Not as solid and straight up deadly a record as B4.DA.$$, but as far as I'm concerned B4.DA.$$ is an undisputed success, and one of the strongest debuts in years.
yeah Lupe really delivered. Mural is unreal.. i had my doubts cuz as much as i love the original Food & Liquor, the sequel was bland as hell. Lasers was pretty bad too. this is his best album since The Cool for sure.
louder is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.23.2015, 06:57 AM   #102
louder
invito al cielo

louder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asses
despite all the new releases, SremmLife is still my most played album so far this year.
Old 01.23.2015, 08:03 AM   #103
noisereductions
invito al cielo

noisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's asses
man.... Sremm, Bjork, Lupe, Belle & Sebastian, Sleater Kinney, Manson, Young L.... even as I'm making a conscious effort to hear 1 or 2 new releases per week, it's already looking like it will be a struggle to keep up and current in 2015!
Old 01.23.2015, 09:11 AM   #104
louder
invito al cielo

i feel you. i haven't even heard the new Panda Bear yet.. Sour Soul (the Ghostface x BADBADNOTGOOD project) coming next month, Cannibal Ox and Action Bronson's debut in March.

new vid for Ray Gun (featuring DOOM) off the Sour Soul album: https://youtube.com/watch?v=6YW_RqTuZMw
Old 01.25.2015, 02:41 AM   #105
louder
invito al cielo

so the new Rihanna, Kanye and Paul song is out.. and it's actually a song for Rihanna's album? need someone to clarify this.

here it is: http://www.rap-up.com/2015/01/24/new...urfiveseconds/

EDIT: what the hell, it's an acoustic song and Kanye is barely on it.. even for a Rihanna single it's pretty underwhelming.
Old 01.25.2015, 09:58 AM   #106
louder
invito al cielo

http://pitchfork.com/news/58204-lil-...for-8-million/

so Wayne is suing Birdman for $8 million, which probably means we won't get Tha Carter V in a long time. i just remembered Wayne said he recorded enough material for about 9 albums. goddammit.
Old 01.25.2015, 10:01 AM   #107
louder
invito al cielo

while this thread is sleeping..

http://www.billboard.com/articles/co...ance-2015-dope
Quote:
Rocky revealed for the first time that Yams is co-executive producer of the still-untitled album, along with Grammy-winning producer Dangermouse (Black Keys, Gnarls Barkley, MF Doom). "Dangermouse and Yams -- I'm really intrigued for people to hear how that combination sounds. Yams manifested his powers into it."

WOW!! FUCKING DANGER MOUSE? CLASSIC ALREADY!!
Old 01.25.2015, 10:04 AM   #108
noisereductions
invito al cielo

noisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's asses
^damn that's crazy. And he says the album is done. When we getting it tho???????????
Old 01.26.2015, 09:30 PM   #109
noisereductions
invito al cielo

new Mike G single from Award Tour II

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Je3udde6Hfs

Mike G remains one of OF's secret weapons. Nobody ever talks about that guy, but his flow is always astounding to me.
Old 01.28.2015, 06:26 PM   #110
louder
invito al cielo

so Wayne's lawsuit against Cash Money is up to $51 million now, jesus..
Old 01.28.2015, 07:27 PM   #111
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses

Sorry y'all i rededicated myself to roots reggae this year since Midnite put out three new records last year and it took me all of last year to absorb the three records he put out in 2013.. shit the dude has over FIFTY records so including what i already got and what i need to pick up from the back catalog i ain't got brain room for anything else new.. i ain't even copped that new S-K and im admittedly a bit obsessed with those ladies..

actually y'all might dig it so check out YouTube.. several Full Albums worth y'all listening

SuchFriendsAreDangerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.29.2015, 05:15 AM   #112
louder
invito al cielo

all i've been listening to in the last few days is Meek Mill and Young Thug..
Old 01.30.2015, 03:43 AM   #113
louder
invito al cielo

new Big Sean song, featuring Drake and Kanye as a hidden feature: https://soundcloud.com/bigsean-1/blessings

Sean has really stepped it up recently, i never even liked him that much, but his new album might be good.
Old 01.30.2015, 10:49 AM   #114
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
I really feel sorry for Big Sean. The consensus seems to be that he's pretty much just corny and terrible. I actually rocked "Hall of Fame" for like 2 straight weeks when I picked it up because it reminded me of Graduation. And because I'm a staunch supporter of G.O.O.D., and I love the shit out of every single moment on "Cruel Summer."

But he's just not on the same level as Pusha-T or T-Pain or Keef or any of the other artists that have aligned themselves with Ye and his label. So yeah, eventually I stopped listening altogether and the "Methadone for Kanye" effect wore off and I just wanted the real goddamn thing.

But I still think his style is an excellent addition to a group track. "Control" was SEAN's single after all, even if Kendrick got all the buzz.

I'm tempted to not even listen to the new Big Sean singles because I hate seeing the guy get blasted in the comments sections of itunes and datpiff and hiphopdx... It's just sad. He's a truly grateful guy, and I think that's obvious. He's definitely an underdog, and he's lacking the personality offered by the 2 Chainz and Pusha's of the world... But does he deserve to be crucified? Fuck no.

Anyway, I will have to check the new song due to the presence of Mr. West.

But personally I'm in Sean's corner and always have been.

I'm also starting to hat Drake. Yeah, he guested on a "remix" of one of 2014's best songs that sounded exactly like the original only with MORE non-rapping... and yeah, Nothing Was the Same ended up packing a lasting punch, but I'm so fucking tired of his name and voice and stupid face turning up everywhere.

I'd rather have Sean leading the industry than Drake. The guy is going to be a "I love the 00's" punchline on VH1 in 2030. I mean, just thinking about his "story" and sprinkling in a few of the more popular viral images of the last few years makes me question the sanity of this generation. Is this the long term effect of fluoride consumption?

Forgot what we were talking about again.
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.30.2015, 01:45 PM   #115
louder
invito al cielo

man, Sean is the hottest rapper of the year so far.. i'm not even kidding. peep his verse on this new Meek Mill song, unbelievably tight: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w9f6s9DxkyQ
Old 01.30.2015, 01:49 PM   #116
louder
invito al cielo

and yeah Drake has really oversaturated himself. now i heard he's planning to drop a mixtape BEFORE the album?? i just want him to take a really long break.

meanwhile, Andre 3000 and Frank Ocean were confirmed to be featured on Chance's next solo album. expecting greatness already.
Old 01.30.2015, 04:45 PM   #117
louder
invito al cielo

...aaand Suge Knight just got arrested for running over his best friend and killing him. http://www.tmz.com/2015/01/29/suge-k...-man-run-over/
Old 01.30.2015, 05:57 PM   #118
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Apparently Chance is playing with some multi-instrumental/cross-genre shit... Normally I'd say "slooow down" to an unsigned (or is he signed now? Fucking hard to know these days) Chicago rapper who has exactly one successful mix-tape to his name.

Actually, I'm saying that now... Fucker needs to slow down. What, does he think he's perfected rap already? Done all he can do with it by ripping off Common and Tribe and looking perpetually distracted like some autistic boy genius who engineers Lego castles in his head while you're trying to teach him how to fucking tell time!

Well Acid Rap was fine enough but he hasn't earned the right to jump ship yet. He needs to buckle down like Joey Bada$$ and deliver a classic debut that's chi-city to the core. Then he can mix things up, incrementally, first with production, then with song forms and some day with an inside out version of the genre.

But I do not want to hear how rad his friends are at riffing. It's the purpose of an emcee to make a testament out of nothing but his words, knowledge & linguistic skill. I know he's such a darling right now, but he's gonna fade fast if he doesn't prove Acid Rap wasn't a fluke. Hell, I can't believe kids can even openly like that record without getting their shit kicked at school. But I guess even the most thoroughly held-back senior in high school wouldn't even remember the release of College Dropout at this point, much less any substantive Gangsta rapper's formative years. Fuck..

But I digress.

I just feel like he needs to pay his respects to hip hop and live by the code a bit before turning into Prince.
Old 01.30.2015, 06:56 PM   #119
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuchFriendsAreDangerous

Sorry y'all i rededicated myself to roots reggae this year since Midnite put out three new records last year and it took me all of last year to absorb the three records he put out in 2013.. shit the dude has over FIFTY records so including what i already got and what i need to pick up from the back catalog i ain't got brain room for anything else new.. i ain't even copped that new S-K and im admittedly a bit obsessed with those ladies..

actually y'all might dig it so check out YouTube.. several Full Albums worth y'all listening

No offense, but shouldn't we excommunicate this motherfucker for talking about non-hip hop music, so unapologetically, within the sacred walls of this fairweather thread?

I know there's no official rule banning discussions of other genres from our little suburban community just outside of Postpunk Noiseland, USA... but I do feel I should point out that the only time this practice serves us is when I talk about electronic music.

Nah, I'm just playing. Seriously though I have no interest in checking out this artist. The cover art you posted makes me think of Jason Mraz, whoever that is.

(Ha! I'm outrageous. Betcha can't tell that my life is coming apart at the seams.)
Old 01.30.2015, 07:24 PM   #120
Severian
invito al cielo

Hey, this album's pretty damn good! I have never listened to Vic Spencer prior to this... He's a fuckin' crate digger, and I like the sample play, the chopping and screwing of vintage jazz samples... He's a bit of a big deal in Chicago, but I'd never paid him any mind. I think he samples Earl Sweatshirt, among many others, but his flow is aggressive and he writes about crappy rap (which there's a lot of, let's be honest).

Not sure if I'll still like this in a month. He does dis Jigga at least once, which never goes over well with me. But on the whole it's a pretty good record so far.

Oh... He samples a lot of shit that I know but can't name. Damn. That's infuriating. Anyway check it out.
56 > »
-->

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth