Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Sonic Gossip
Reload this Page Thurston Moore is Dead
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 02.16.2014, 06:32 PM   #41
noisereductions
invito al cielo

noisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's asses
if simple pop = "Reena," then sign me up son.
Old 02.16.2014, 08:03 PM   #42
Antagon
invito al cielo

Antagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's asses
As someone who got into Sonic Youth pretty late: RR actually was the first of their albums that I bought. And as such it will always occupy a special place in my heart.

While I wouldn't call it one of their best albums, I still stand in its defense. The album has a 90s-vibe to it, which was very much to my liking back in 06' since I had a huge soft-spot for angsty 90s music back then (And I still have to a certain degree). 'Reena' was my perfect introduction to Kim's cold, crooning voice. 'Rats' is a pretty sweet tune that I still listen to every now and then. I dig the bluesy, smoke-filled atmosphere it emits. And what can I say about 'Pink Steam' that hasn't been said before? Most of the other tracks aren't bad either. The sole definite misstep in my opinion was 'Sleeping Around'.

On topic: Yes, it seems like Thurston's songwriting skills are waning. But I wouldn't say it bothers me too much. Haven't been up to date about his output in quite some time and it seems like I didn't miss out on much.

Antagon is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.16.2014, 08:12 PM   #43
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toilet & Bowels
Fans aren't merciless, we've made a considerable emotional investment in SY.

The Eternal wasn't shat in for two years, you're thinking of Rather Ripped, and it has been shat on for 8 years.

Dude, The Eternal was shit on even more than Rather Ripped was!

SuchFriendsAreDangerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.16.2014, 08:20 PM   #44
Derek
invito al cielo

Derek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's asses
The Eternal was generally well received here.
Derek is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.16.2014, 08:22 PM   #45
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek
The Eternal was generally well received here.

I was here. It wasn't.

Old 02.16.2014, 08:26 PM   #46
Derek
invito al cielo

Derek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's asses
Post evidence. Even Adam Cooley said it was cool! The only negative stuff I remember being said was that the mixing and mastering was shit, which it was.
Derek is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.16.2014, 08:33 PM   #47
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

Quote:
Post evidence. Even Adam Cooley said it was cool! The only negative stuff I remember being said was that the mixing and mastering was shit, which it was.

I didn't say it was either unanimous or that later many folks didn't change their minds, but I DISTINCTLY remember how many people were disappointed, especially because it made me initially wait a few weeks to even pick it up because so many posters had such blah and meh things to say. If this damned "search" function actually worked I'd pull up some of those threads, but alas, unlike Reading Rainbow, you're totally going to just have to take my word on it

Old 02.16.2014, 08:37 PM   #48
zelocia
bad moon rising

zelocia kicks all y'all's asseszelocia kicks all y'all's asseszelocia kicks all y'all's asseszelocia kicks all y'all's asseszelocia kicks all y'all's asseszelocia kicks all y'all's asseszelocia kicks all y'all's asseszelocia kicks all y'all's asseszelocia kicks all y'all's asseszelocia kicks all y'all's asseszelocia kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antagon
The album has a 90s-vibe to it, which was very much to my liking back in 06' since I had a huge soft-spot for angsty 90s music back then (And I still have to a certain degree).

Part of the reason I'm not the biggest fan of Rather Ripped overall is because of Jim's absence. In my opinion, Murray Street and Sonic Nurse are the closest albums that SY had to masterpieces since their albums from the late 80's and early 90's. The only 90's vibe I get from RR is due to the line up of the band, not the songs themselves. I too have a huge soft-spot for angsty 90's music. It's pretty much the only music I listen to. Ha.
zelocia is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.16.2014, 08:40 PM   #49
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by zelocia
Part of the reason I'm not the biggest fan of Rather Ripped overall is because of Jim's absence. In my opinion, Murray Street and Sonic Nurse are the closest albums that SY had to masterpieces since their albums from the late 80's and early 90's. The only 90's vibe I get from RR is due to the line up of the band, not the songs themselves. I too have a huge soft-spot for angsty 90's music. It's pretty much the only music I listen to. Ha.

Great post! I totally miss Jim, I think that his involvement made 1998-2005 even BETTER than those peak mid-80 years. Jim seemed to add more underlying structure and symmetry, which allowed for Thurston and Steve explore more range in their guitar work. Really, it came down to the fact that Jim was a totally better bass player than Kim

Old 02.16.2014, 10:36 PM   #50
zelocia
bad moon rising

zelocia kicks all y'all's asseszelocia kicks all y'all's asseszelocia kicks all y'all's asseszelocia kicks all y'all's asseszelocia kicks all y'all's asseszelocia kicks all y'all's asseszelocia kicks all y'all's asseszelocia kicks all y'all's asseszelocia kicks all y'all's asseszelocia kicks all y'all's asseszelocia kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuchFriendsAreDangerous
Great post! I totally miss Jim, I think that his involvement made 1998-2005 even BETTER than those peak mid-80 years. Jim seemed to add more underlying structure and symmetry, which allowed for Thurston and Steve explore more range in their guitar work. Really, it came down to the fact that Jim was a totally better bass player than Kim

Thank you! Jim provided for Sonic Youth exactly what they needed after the gear theft incident of 1999, he expanded their sound without changing it. Although I would rank NYC Ghosts & Flowers no where near Murray Street and Sonic Nurse in terms of overall almost perfection, that album was important as a transitional record and his full integration into the band. And as with all SY albums, NYCG&F has its moments. A Thousand Leaves was their last album as the SY super quartet that they had been since EVOL. But for Rather Ripped, going back to being a quartet just did not work the same way as it did between the years of 1986 - 1998.
zelocia is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.16.2014, 10:44 PM   #51
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by zelocia
Thank you! Jim provided for Sonic Youth exactly what they needed after the gear theft incident of 1999, he expanded their sound without changing it. Although I would rank NYC Ghosts & Flowers no where near Murray Street and Sonic Nurse in terms of overall almost perfection, that album was important as a transitional record and his full integration into the band. And as with all SY albums, NYCG&F has its moments. A Thousand Leaves was their last album as the SY super quartet that they had been since EVOL. But for Rather Ripped, going back to being a quartet just did not work the same way as it did between the years of 1986 - 1998.

A Thousand Leaves is my all time favorite sonic youth record, BUT, lets remember, they were touring for that record when their gear got stolen (I was at that show in Irvine btw), so really, that transition was not just from the gear being stolen, but already clearly in the works. Jim has production credits on ATL.. I think what happened is when their gear got jacked they decided to stick with what they were doing on ATL full-force.. also, Thurston mentioned they started writing more music on acoustic guitars after the theft. That is noticeable in the sound, it became more precise, more calculated, more musical, which definitely reflects the influence of acoustic guitars.

Old 02.17.2014, 04:37 AM   #52
Nefeli
invito al cielo

Nefeli kicks all y'all's assesNefeli kicks all y'all's assesNefeli kicks all y'all's assesNefeli kicks all y'all's assesNefeli kicks all y'all's assesNefeli kicks all y'all's assesNefeli kicks all y'all's assesNefeli kicks all y'all's assesNefeli kicks all y'all's assesNefeli kicks all y'all's assesNefeli kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toilet & Bowels
you're thinking of Rather Ripped, and it has been shat on for 8 years.

has it been 8 years since RR was out? rhetorical, but seriously meh.

i would watch the clip again to check out T' girlfriend, but i m bored.
Nefeli is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.17.2014, 06:21 AM   #53
MellySingsDoom
invito al cielo

MellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:

Interesting point, there - I recall the mixes indeed being uninspired, but from what I recall, the vinyl mastering wasn't that bad, all being told. Was the CD mastering that crap, then?
Old 02.17.2014, 09:00 AM   #54
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
first i thought the thread title was a tasteless joke but then i had to stop watching at 1'25" because it was too painful.
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.17.2014, 02:37 PM   #55
Kegmama
empty page

Kegmama kicks all y'all's assesKegmama kicks all y'all's assesKegmama kicks all y'all's assesKegmama kicks all y'all's assesKegmama kicks all y'all's assesKegmama kicks all y'all's assesKegmama kicks all y'all's assesKegmama kicks all y'all's assesKegmama kicks all y'all's assesKegmama kicks all y'all's assesKegmama kicks all y'all's asses
these are the kind of threads that make me love syg.

Kegmama is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.17.2014, 02:57 PM   #56
Genteel Death
invito al cielo

Genteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's asses
I'm still not sure where Suchfriends got the story that Rather Ripped got a better reception on this forum than The Eternal. The search function is not the best but it brings up nicer words for The Eternal than it does for Rather Ripped.
Genteel Death is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.17.2014, 03:16 PM   #57
noisereductions
invito al cielo

noisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Genteel Death
I'm still not sure where Suchfriends got the story that Rather Ripped got a better reception on this forum than The Eternal. The search function is not the best but it brings up nicer words for The Eternal than it does for Rather Ripped.

this. All the Eternal threads I found were kind words.
Old 02.17.2014, 03:18 PM   #58
Pink Noise
empty page

Pink Noise kicks all y'all's assesPink Noise kicks all y'all's assesPink Noise kicks all y'all's assesPink Noise kicks all y'all's assesPink Noise kicks all y'all's assesPink Noise kicks all y'all's assesPink Noise kicks all y'all's assesPink Noise kicks all y'all's assesPink Noise kicks all y'all's assesPink Noise kicks all y'all's assesPink Noise kicks all y'all's asses
Oh. I like both the song and the video.
Old 02.17.2014, 05:40 PM   #59
Chris Lawrence

Chris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's asses
The only Eternal backlash I remember is the low-bitrate preview stream.
http://www.sonicyouth.com/mustang // original folk blues ... . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .i'm the boy that can enjoy invisibility. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Chris Lawrence is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.17.2014, 05:54 PM   #60
deflinus
expwy. to yr skull

deflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's asses
I wish I didn't hear that preview stream. That's the one where it had clips of every song in it, right?
I would have preferred to hear how it sounded when i got my copy. It's a fine album
deflinus is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth