Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page Country music?
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 02.12.2007, 01:58 PM   #21
Savage Clone
invito al cielo

Savage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's asses
As with blues, I have found that if you avoid electricity in the music (with the exception of steel guitars), your chances are much better.
Savage Clone is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.12.2007, 02:12 PM   #22
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
And drums. Drums are a bad thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.12.2007, 02:42 PM   #23
EMMAh
invito al cielo

EMMAh kicks all y'all's assesEMMAh kicks all y'all's assesEMMAh kicks all y'all's assesEMMAh kicks all y'all's assesEMMAh kicks all y'all's assesEMMAh kicks all y'all's assesEMMAh kicks all y'all's assesEMMAh kicks all y'all's assesEMMAh kicks all y'all's assesEMMAh kicks all y'all's assesEMMAh kicks all y'all's asses
The thought of country music gives me the shivers.

EMMAh is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.12.2007, 03:18 PM   #24
kingcoffee
expwy. to yr skull

kingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asses
I must say, I like some country music. But not the Nashville-pop scene with Garth Brooks (a no-talent douchebag, and I dont mind saying so), Keith Urban (who has nothing urban about himself), etc. etc. who think they're just good ol' boys and are in turn really making a fucking fortune of the stupidity and tone deaf ears of stupid white people. I like REAL country music: Woody Guthrie (more of a folkie), Bob Dylan (folk/country), Neil Young (folk/country), and yes the Meat Puppets do wonderfully as well.

I could just never understand the appeal of all this country music crap though. It's annoying Southern Drawl vocals, way too twangy guitars, stupid subject matter (drankin' and fightin' and fuuuckin' and beatin' yo baby's mama), it's just trite jackassery. But when Guthrie, Dylan and Young do it, it had soul, a genuine life force of it's own. Country western has the potential to have wonderful songs written, but so few people can do it properly. Every single time I see or hear a jackass on tv/radio singin about bein drunk and depressed I want to find out where they live and stab them in the face with a soldering iron.

"Yes. Pick up your puppy."
kingcoffee is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.12.2007, 03:57 PM   #25
eatmychild
children of satan

eatmychild kicks all y'all's asseseatmychild kicks all y'all's asseseatmychild kicks all y'all's asseseatmychild kicks all y'all's asseseatmychild kicks all y'all's asseseatmychild kicks all y'all's asseseatmychild kicks all y'all's asseseatmychild kicks all y'all's asseseatmychild kicks all y'all's asseseatmychild kicks all y'all's asseseatmychild kicks all y'all's asses
Can't stand any country music.
Old 02.12.2007, 04:25 PM   #26
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingcoffee
I like REAL country music: Woody Guthrie (more of a folkie), Bob Dylan (folk/country), Neil Young (folk/country), and yes the Meat Puppets do wonderfully as well.

At the risk of sounding like an indie kid (on a forum full of indie kids), I wouldn't really consider any of the bands you mentioned real country. But, whatever, so long as you eat healthy and wear a condom, you'll get no criticism from me.

Quote:
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Old 02.12.2007, 04:35 PM   #27
Savage Clone
invito al cielo

Savage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's asses
Meat Puppets have a strong country influence at times, but I wouldn't call them a country band by any stretch.
Old 02.12.2007, 05:24 PM   #28
kingcoffee
expwy. to yr skull

kingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glice
so long as you eat healthy and wear a condom, you'll get no criticism from me.

uh oh.....

Old 02.12.2007, 05:37 PM   #29
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
story about Charlie Parker

Charlie would sit in this bar where a lot of jazz cats would hang between sessions, and charlie would drink his drinks in solitude constantly going to the jukebox and playing country songs, back when country was country and western was western you know? he would play these songs and sit there and drink,a nd he woudl get a constant ribbing from his hep cat jazz buddies, who derided country music. They wold poke fun at him and ask "hey man, why are you playing this stuff? This nasal whiny cracka stuff?"
and Charlie would look at them and reply, "just listen to the stories man, just listen to the stories."
and he was right. Old country music, beofr ethe country pop pap that exists today, was about telling stories from the heart, stories that touched your heart, stories that described life as they saw it. charlie parker saw that and would soak it all in.
Old 02.12.2007, 05:57 PM   #30
kingcoffee
expwy. to yr skull

But seriously, they may not be the real country as in they only perform country music, but I meant it in the sense that they are better country music composers than the shitty country-pop musicians I mentioned. Bob Dylan and Neil Young are great when they write country songs. Yeah, they were folky, and rock and heavy metal (N. Young), but they made much better country music than pretty much everybody alive now.

Old 02.12.2007, 07:19 PM   #31
finding nobody
invito al cielo

finding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's asses
Merle Haggard was in Folsom Prison when Johnny Cash played there! Cool trvia
finding nobody is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.12.2007, 10:59 PM   #32
ToasterDude84
empty page

ToasterDude84 is a glorious beacon of lightToasterDude84 is a glorious beacon of lightToasterDude84 is a glorious beacon of lightToasterDude84 is a glorious beacon of lightToasterDude84 is a glorious beacon of light
country is stuupid...
I'm sick of sight without a sense of feeling

-chad kroeger

ToasterDude84 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.13.2007, 02:36 AM   #33
luxinterior
invito al cielo

luxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's asses
Most of what I've wanted to say has been said already. Hank, Johnny, Loretta, Dolly and that whole crew...speaking of Dolly, I was especially drawn to her as a small child. She is such a funny, clever lady.

I haven't really paid much attention to the state of popular country music as of late. The last time I really remember watching a music video on CMT, it was probably Shania Twain singing "Any Man of Mine." I wish she would do more songs in that vein.

I do watch the show Nashville Star with my mom. I probably never would have seen it had it not been for the fact that it plays on the USA network, and that's where I watch my Law & Order CI/SVU, so Nashville Star is hard to miss. I am mostly unimpressed by the people on that show, with the exception of Angela Hacker, who I adore. http://www.usanetwork.com/series/nas...ela/index.html

Around these parts (I've always wanted to say that) listening to country music used to be accepted and encouraged among the younger kids. But now, the only younger people who do listen to country music are just doing it for laughs, you know, like "She Thinks My Tractor's Sexy" and all that jazz. I don't even know who sings that. But younger people who proclaim to hate certain genres of music (really only country and rap) always seem to latch onto the worst possible example of each, and proceed to like it in an ironic way. And of course everything else in the genre "sucks," but they can make an exception for "She Thinks My Tractor's Sexy" because it's "funny."

I will never understand the greatest phenomenon of the 90s, otherwise known as Garth Brooks. The only time that I recall enjoying him was when my brother made himself a mix CD of his favorite gangsta rap songs, but had "Friends in Low Places" as the second-to-last track. I think it was sandwiched between "Black Steel in the Hour of Chaos" and some Eazy-E song I didn't know.

For some reason I like more female than male country artists. Maybe it's because with men, their singing "country" voices can easily turn into what sounds like farts. Farts probably isn't the right word...it's just this sound that I hear coming out of the mouths of the male country singers on the radio. It's like they try to put too much twang into their voice, and their voice isn't that great to begin with, so now it's coming out all nasally, and anyway, it just has to stop.

And I suppose I agree with the sentiment about drums and electric guitars, for the most part. It's almost like it wouldn't come out sounding so horrible if there wasn't someone going, "Well this sounds okay, but let's make it sound BIGGER!" That's how I imagine it going at least.

And I want to add that really sad country songs are usually 10x sadder than most sad songs from other genres.

"I sweat like a fucking nun on Sunday...I don't even know what that means."
- Sebastian Bach

luxinterior is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.13.2007, 04:02 AM   #34
sonicl
invito al cielo

sonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's asses
It's rather remiss of me really to have not mentioned my beloved Cowboy Junkies in this thread. I don't actually consider them country, but other people do, so WTF, I'll say it:

Cowboy Junkies are godlike.
sonicl is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.13.2007, 03:02 PM   #35
Glice
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by luxinterior

I will never understand the greatest phenomenon of the 90s, otherwise known as Garth Brooks. The only time that I recall enjoying him was when my brother made himself a mix CD of his favorite gangsta rap songs, but had "Friends in Low Places" as the second-to-last track. I think it was sandwiched between "Black Steel in the Hour of Chaos" and some Eazy-E song I didn't know.

'G', the one that's not Warren, has been shit since forever. I heard his first album recently, thanks to a friend with a perverse humour, and it's entirely consistent with the rest of his career. With country, usually there's a spark of life in early stuff (yes, even Shania) but with 'G' there's absolutely nothing. He is the modern face of evil, truly.

Quote:
Old 02.13.2007, 03:05 PM   #36
Savage Clone
invito al cielo

You know this one is Pure Country Gold.

Old 02.13.2007, 03:29 PM   #37
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
You know this one is Pure Country Gold.

that dude from the Spin Doctors is gonna be ramming lil' Julie on her 16th birthday, she will have a hard time sitting for a week, and he will ensure that she remembers his scrotum all on her forehead while she tickles his taint a la tongue technique. pervert.
Old 02.13.2007, 03:31 PM   #38
Glice
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
that dude from the Spin Doctors is gonna be ramming lil' Julie on her 16th birthday, she will have a hard time sittig for a week, and h will ensure that she remebers his scrotum all on her forehead while she tickles his taint a la tongue technique. pervert.

I'm so hiring you as compére for my wedding.

Quote:
Old 02.13.2007, 03:33 PM   #39
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

hahah, I showed my girfriend that recor dcover and she said this

he's saying "baby, you know i love you... but i can't afford to go to prison right now when my musical career is just picking up damnit, you gotta understand!!!!!!"

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth