Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page Smashing Pumpkins Reunion
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 04.22.2006, 08:51 AM   #21
truncated
invito al cielo

truncated kicks all y'all's assestruncated kicks all y'all's assestruncated kicks all y'all's assestruncated kicks all y'all's assestruncated kicks all y'all's assestruncated kicks all y'all's assestruncated kicks all y'all's assestruncated kicks all y'all's assestruncated kicks all y'all's assestruncated kicks all y'all's assestruncated kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by krastian
I'm telling you, it all went down hill when he shaved his head and started wearing that stupid Zero shirt around. Bring out the rock!

I'm with Krastian. Diluted Smashing Pumpkins just didn't do it for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleNickels
Jesus, it's all about distorted guitars with you? Heaven forfend that the rawk stop and they put down their guitars for favor of a new direction.

Actually, yes.

I'm all about experimentation as well, but sticking to a certain style doesn't necessarily equal stagnation. While again, it's all subjective, their sound changed after Melon Collie, and not for the better. There's a difference between going in a new direction, and tampering with a good thing.
truncated is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.22.2006, 09:15 AM   #22
shentov
expwy. to yr skull

shentov kicks all y'all's assesshentov kicks all y'all's assesshentov kicks all y'all's assesshentov kicks all y'all's assesshentov kicks all y'all's assesshentov kicks all y'all's assesshentov kicks all y'all's assesshentov kicks all y'all's assesshentov kicks all y'all's assesshentov kicks all y'all's assesshentov kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishmonkey
best of luck to em, not something i want to get into though

agreed. never really liked any smashing pumpkins
Old 04.22.2006, 10:48 AM   #23
Trasher02
invito al cielo

Trasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's asses
the first albums of sp were cool, mellon collie and the infinite sadness had some real stupid songs.

The Everlasting Gaze is still one of my favorite songs
Old 04.22.2006, 11:25 AM   #24
Alex's Trip
invito al cielo

Alex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's asses
I hope that James comes back...I heard he was rumored to, but who knows...

Still a new album is gonna be cool either way. I just hope it goes back to the Gish/Siemese style of things.

Why wouldn't james come back anyway? They (Iha/Corgan) fought, but it has been 5 years...isn't it time for them to make up?
Old 04.22.2006, 11:47 AM   #25
sleep33
little trouble girl

sleep33 has a couple of kiss-ass net friends
[quote=Everyneurotic]wow!!! comparing a band still doing challenging music

thats where you and me disagree...
sleep33 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.22.2006, 11:53 AM   #26
sleep33
little trouble girl

truncated, you are right, its all subjective, and to all of those rockers out there who headbanged to Zero or Bulllet with Butterfly Wings Im sure there world was shook upon hearing Adore. I actually enjoyed the change and enjoyed it more than Mellon Collie but I guess SP's body of fans didnt.
Old 04.22.2006, 11:55 AM   #27
samuel
the end of the ugly

samuel kicks all y'all's assessamuel kicks all y'all's assessamuel kicks all y'all's assessamuel kicks all y'all's assessamuel kicks all y'all's assessamuel kicks all y'all's assessamuel kicks all y'all's assessamuel kicks all y'all's assessamuel kicks all y'all's assessamuel kicks all y'all's assessamuel kicks all y'all's asses
MACHINA is my favorite Smashing Pumpkins' album. I actually enjoy the Zwan album too. I've heard a couple songs from TheFutureEmbrace and thought those were cool. I think Billy is doing a fine job as of late.
samuel is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.22.2006, 12:14 PM   #28
finding nobody
invito al cielo

finding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's asses
1979 is a superb song
finding nobody is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.22.2006, 12:50 PM   #29
Mudride
little trouble girl

Mudride has a couple of kiss-ass net friends
hey Billy Pumpkin, thats a bad step !
Mudride is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.22.2006, 01:05 PM   #30
Washing Machine
expwy. to yr skull

Washing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's asses
I kinda disagree (SY and the pumpkins and soad are for me the greatest 3 bands in the world...so im biased! lol). So to change the direction of this thead slightly, i will talk through what I think of each album, and then maybe we can come to a conclusion as to what the new album should/will be like!

Gish - A great deput album, not entirely brilliant but showed the band had a lot of promise

Siamese Dream - A modern classic, Masterpiece! No one could have predicted from Gish that Billy was capable of this!

Mellon Collie & the Infinite Sadness - The greatest album ever made! The scope and diversity of this album is beyond words. I disagree strongly with the claim that is album is bloated!

Adore - Underated. This is a beautiful and touching album that reveals itself to you on repeated listens. Listen to 'For Martha' It almost makes you wanna cry lol

Machina - Excellent last album built out of layers and layers of overdubs. Guitars/keyboards melt into each and delcate melodies struggle to be heard though a wall of noise. I love the production on this album. However the songs simply are just not as good on machina as on MCIS or Dream!

TheFutureEmbrace - I kinda like this album! But where is the heart-rendering songwriting of Corgan gone? This album seems a little cold to me!
Washing Machine is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.22.2006, 02:33 PM   #31
Proud Marie
little trouble girl

Proud Marie ain't too shabby
Gish and Siamese dream were both good albums, and could have been really good if Billy had let someone else sing. I usually dont complain about singer's voices, but his whine is unbearable. James Iha was a much better singer, even if his writing had enough sap to give a Vermont maple syrup maker an erection.

Mellon Collie would have been great if they had refined it to about 12 songs - SOOOO MUCH FUCKIN UNNECISARY FILLER!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It would have been a great album - and only about as long as a normal one too.

Adore is terrible - dull and murky, like the mouthings of a fish. The tasteless applictation of the drum machine (sounds like fucking hip-hop beats) combined with Billy's arrognat peotry, a good album this doesnt make. After this i didnt even buy the next 2 albums.

I would love for Billy to get back to basics and make another Gish/ Siamese dream, but part of me knows he wont. Send me a message if its any good.
Proud Marie is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.22.2006, 02:41 PM   #32
dazedcola
the end of the ugly

dazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's asses
Yea i've liked the smashing pumpkins since i was like 12 and my sister brought home Mellon Collie. I love their stuff up until adore. (Adore is ok, but its just not that interesting to me) I recently went back though and listened to gish and pisces iscariot and was blown away. Wow those fucking solos are crazy and i fell in love with them again for a whole other reason besides there great melodies and kick asss riffs.

Question, is it billy or james iha that's doing those sprawling solos ? or do they maybe switch off ?
Ill meet ya on the next one
And dont be late "
-Jimi Hendrix

...And me just another dream theory, lost inside your eye

"when my mind's uncertain my body decides
what it will do to get through the hell of the night
as I trip on the ocean that leads through your eyes
well my eyes can't wait til they finally see through you"
dazedcola is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.22.2006, 02:49 PM   #33
Proud Marie
little trouble girl

Proud Marie ain't too shabby
Alot of people credit James Iha for Gish, but it was almost entirly Billy on Siamese Dream. After Gish the band became just a touring act and Billy played all the stuff for the albums.
Proud Marie is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.22.2006, 08:14 PM   #34
sleep33
little trouble girl

Billy is the man behind most of those solos... James takes on the little lead parts once in a while but its mostly billy.
Old 04.22.2006, 08:20 PM   #35
Пятхъдесят Шест
invito al cielo

Пятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's asses
Whats the point really? I mean, its really all about Billy Corgan making money anyway.

And the fact people don't see through this is ridiculous. Think about it people, he had Zwan which was a commercial failure and they up break up mid tour, then he has an equally awful solo record that flops.....so whats the next logical step??? Try and cash in on a band that has been inactive for like seven years.

How stupid, and lame. Not even worth talking about. MEH
Пятхъдесят Шест is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.22.2006, 11:14 PM   #36
sleep33
little trouble girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Пятхъдесят Шест
Whats the point really? I mean, its really all about Billy Corgan making money anyway.

How stupid, and lame. Not even worth talking about. MEH

Oh and Sonic Youth isnt??Rather Ripped is yet another attempt to make even more money out in the mainstream. Think about it, SY splits up and does these fun little 7" noise releases on obscure labels, and then when they need money (cause you no their not making money off those releases) gets together and does a mediocre rock album. If Corgan wanted money so bad he wouldnt have made FutureEmbrace, because it has no mainstream appeal and nothing with MTV potential.
Old 04.22.2006, 11:31 PM   #37
Пятхъдесят Шест
invito al cielo

Пятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's asses
Theres nothing wrong with making a profit off of your music, considering I invest in quite a few bands.

Obscure label? SYR is run by the band, and is released with the knowledge that not many people outside of their fan base is going to buy it. We aren't talking about Sonic Youth (a band that has been together for 20 years) still trying to crack into the mainstream anyway.

MTV didn't play any of his solo album because it was even too shitty for
them.

Go ahead and ignore the bulk of this post like you did the last one, eh?
Old 04.22.2006, 11:41 PM   #38
krastian
invito al cielo

krastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asses
Quiet-Live From Vieuphoria
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iC_GUmdC31A&search=smashing%20pumpkins%2C% 20quiet

Darn tootin'.
Old 04.22.2006, 11:52 PM   #39
Пятхъдесят Шест
invito al cielo

I always liked the SP song Slunk...i think thats on Vieuphoria too.

Been a long time since I've listened to anything by them. Not sure if I could tolerate it.
Old 04.23.2006, 12:07 AM   #40
krastian
invito al cielo

krastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asses
I think I listened to Siamese Dream within the past year or so.....it still rocks me.

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth