Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Sonic Gossip
Reload this Page SONIC YOUTH
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 11.05.2011, 01:28 PM   #21
noisereductions
invito al cielo

noisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's asses
I dont feel that any of the 4 are replaceable. Steve to me was the last piece ofthe puzzle. As you know, Evol is my favorite record.
Old 11.06.2011, 09:54 PM   #22
noisereductions
invito al cielo

noisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's asses
"and now Sonic Youth gon' break up
and everyday I wake up
somebody got a problem with Noise..."

Old 11.09.2011, 02:04 PM   #23
floatingslowly
invito al cielo

floatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's asses
oh, let's do it HERE.
floatingslowly is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.09.2011, 04:47 PM   #24
EVOLghost
invito al cielo

EVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by noisereductions
I dont feel that any of the 4 are replaceable. Steve to me was the last piece ofthe puzzle. As you know, Evol is my favorite record.

I feel exactly the same. EVOL is my favorite Youth album and one reason is because it's Shelley's first album and I honestly think no one could've done it better....not even Steve Shelley.
EVOLghost is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.09.2011, 10:08 PM   #25
noisereductions
invito al cielo

Evol is ridiculously perfect. It's my favorite album of all time.
Old 11.09.2011, 11:29 PM   #26
ann ashtray
expwy. to yr skull

ann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Genteel Death
Finally some posts I find interesting to read. Rob seems to vaguely hint at something about SY which I don't see discussed on this forum much: Their relationship with visual arts. I do wonder if I would have been a fan of theirs for so long if it wasn't for this aspect of the band. That's why to suggest Kim Gordon is a replaceable member of SY is downright insane. She is as intengral to the band Sonic Youth as any other member. Also, her presence is strongly felt on many of their greatest songs.

Totally agreed. Sonic Y without Kim is like the Stooges without Iggy, or the Ramones without Joey. Just dumb in my opinion. She's vital not only as a musician but also as one of the faces of the band.
Old 11.09.2011, 11:42 PM   #27
ann ashtray
expwy. to yr skull

ann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
We are now in year 31 of the great SONIC YOUTH experiment.
If the last few years and releases have shown us anything is that all the members of Sonic Youth continue to be vital, creative, involved people, fully invested in their lives and art.
What it has also shown us clearly is that the individuals in SY are more invested in their own personal projects, whatever they may be, than they are in the collective entitiy called SY. Thurston has been writing most of the songs alone, on a fucking acoustic guitar of all things, and then he hands out lyrics to Kim. They do not spend the time it takes together to influence each other's ears and minds, creating new sounds. Between his folk-soft shit (which I swear I will LOVE if I make it to retirement age) and his writing, publishing, etc. T's time is pretty used up.
Lee has been busy with intimate solo performances and art pieces, and crafting new solo songs FINALLY, that there is no way he can be as invested in the SY.
Steve is in 8 bands, as I have said before. A great drummer is always in demand and Steve will only grow in his skillz and subtlety. He has a lot of music in his future.
Kim has been busy raising a daughter, writing songs with other people besides the Youth, and getting even more heavily involved with the Haute Couture and Fine Art worlds. She has said in interviews that what she looks forward to as far as the SY go, are the live performances. She has also said that it is a heavy drain on her and her hands, even after her switch to "rhythm guitar" and Ibold on bass.

As one gets older, (and I hit 38 a couple months ago so I can see the future), one's creative focus can narrow in an introspective way. Painters, musicians, writers, we all go through it. The communal creative experience just loses some importance. The personal, the stuff that is original to onesself as an individual human, that is what begins to fascinate, to feed the fire of one's art.

For all the great tunes on the last 3-4 SY albums, if you are honest with yourself, you will see that they are basically SY-Lite. They lack a cohesion of force. It may be my own opinion but that is what it feels like. The last album I was 85% in love with was Sonic Nurse. The Eternal seems like a collection of half-assed SY, much like what I felt during the EJST&NS era. I thought that SY was done then. They mended the fences and continued on with great stuff, but the end was near. It could be felt.

SY have outlived so many other bands. SY have made so many fantastic records. They have created some of the most intense songs ever. They have shown how to be a proper BAND. I love them so much.

SY are worth hours, days, years of my life. They are worth travel, expense, collecting all their shit, and my undying love.

but all good things must end, and I would rather they end before they release anything truly embarrasing.

Love and agree with most of everything here. Must say though I like the inclusion of acoustic songwriting. I was kind of hoping they'd do an acoustic record, just because it would be a step, possibly, into a different direction. Sonic Youth have always been willing to change things up a bit, add new ingredients to the formula. And while some of the Eternal stuff was weak, I thought, maybe, it could symbolize things to come. I don't know.

Yeah. I remember you saying something a couple years ago about how it will be a sad day when the Sonic ship finally sinks..and that day seems to be approaching (if it isn't already here and we just don't know it for a fact yet).

Whatever.

No doubt there is plenty of material in the vaults that will be released periodically/etc.

Not a single member od Sonic Youth seems overly excited about the band these days. I look forward to hearing what each one does on their own terms. Specifically excited about Lee, but I'll follow all of 'em.

Time for a coffee break.

Love ya, Rob. You've always been one of my favorite posters. I don't think yr close minded as some others seem to think, just that you have a solid opinion which is something I think tends to happen to most of us as we age. People like what they like. Ten years ago I would have given myself so much shit for half the stuff I listen to now.
Old 11.11.2011, 07:27 AM   #28
bloodcrystallisetosand
bad moon rising

bloodcrystallisetosand kicks all y'all's assesbloodcrystallisetosand kicks all y'all's assesbloodcrystallisetosand kicks all y'all's assesbloodcrystallisetosand kicks all y'all's assesbloodcrystallisetosand kicks all y'all's assesbloodcrystallisetosand kicks all y'all's assesbloodcrystallisetosand kicks all y'all's assesbloodcrystallisetosand kicks all y'all's assesbloodcrystallisetosand kicks all y'all's assesbloodcrystallisetosand kicks all y'all's assesbloodcrystallisetosand kicks all y'all's asses
Seems to me they've been winding down for some time, what with other projects - Kim with her art & fashion, Lee's audio-visual things with Leah, Thurston's endless side projects & increased solo song-based output & tours, Steve jus' kickin' out the jams with whoever the hell he fancies because he's Steve fucking Shelley and everyone wants him to be in their band. The gaps between releases has been steadily increasing and the group chemistry seems stilted: I really didn't rate The Eternal and from the gig reviews I've read it seems as though on stage they haven't been too hot either. I mean, before you even factor in the whole K & T split, the music seems to have been laboured for a a while now.

As shit as it seems, perhaps it's time for them to call it a day. True, there won't be any more Sonic Youth product (other than God knows how many hours worth of archival material for repackaging), but they will still play music together: Steve has appeared on Thurston's solo stuff and is set to play on Lee's album, Thurston and Lee have recorded non-SY bits together, ie: with Connors. I suppose the one who may be more out of sight is Kim. Her solo/other musical endevours have been with other women generally and haven't tended to included any of the other SY members.

I suppose that what I'm trying to say in a roundabout way is that I'm sort of coming to terms with the more-than-likely-death of my favourite band.
bloodcrystallisetosand is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.11.2011, 09:39 AM   #29
noisereductions
invito al cielo

I'm not. I'm still just really hoping it doesn't end.
Old 01.20.2012, 12:15 PM   #30
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
Sonic Life

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth