Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page Should we buy iPhones?
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 09.30.2012, 07:32 PM   #61
E. Noisefield
the end of the ugly

E. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by !@#$%!
lololol

so who is your carrier? at&t? verizoff? ess-print?

ps- the difference amounts to $4.17 per phone per month over the next 2 years. likely it's well worth the difference.

pps- i you really wanted a 4S i'd have said get on vergina mobile but if you're w/ a regular carrier the 5 might serve you better esp. if you need a "portable office".

ppps - having said that, walking out with just a piece of paper in your hand is rather petarded i'm afraid...

(okay, yes, i laughed, but i'm still sad about your weird deal)

I had to sign another 2 year contract (both of us did, actually, because we're on a family plan) just to get the fucking piece of paper.

I do need a mobile office, as I am a goddamn office drone with no fucking life, but if I'm going to buy one, I'd like to have the satisfaction of walking out with the fucking thing in my hands. Right now it feels like bullshit and I'm considering calling them (so I can be on hold for an hour) and telling them to fuck their mothers.
E. Noisefield is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.30.2012, 08:26 PM   #62
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
people like to single out apple because of its sucess, and saying "workers in emerging economies work harder under more difficult conditions for less pay, and capitalist enterprises take advantage of this, including the electronic component industry" doesn't sound so sexy, though it's more accurate than brand-target propaganda

No, we single out Apple because of these points. Apple is the largest distributor of electronics right now. Further Apple sells its products for overly inflated prices and pay both their American employees much less then other companies and retailers, and also exploits their manufacturers. Considering that Apple makes the most money than their competitors, and further have such a loyal and dedicated and youthful customer base, surely they could afford to start a new trend of more equitable manufacturing and retail practices? Further, you are right, computer companies and cell phone companies all use the same exploitative practices, but their sheer scale is smaller than Apple so their direct impact and footprint is also smaller. Also, phones like Nokia and Samsung are the most popular in the developing world, where this technology is revolutionary. Mobiles aren't a luxury in the poorer parts of the world, they are an affordable lifeline. Now folks are even incorporating their bank accounts both private and commercial into their phones to make payment and purchases using their phones but at physical shops and storefronts. This combined with the micro-financing movement is changing the face of the developing world. While Nokia may also have exploitative manufacturing practices, at least those broke Chinese folks can actually AFFORD to buy a Nokia, where as they couldn't dream to buy an iPhone. At least in countries like Botswana or Vietnam folks are benefiting from affordable cell phones, and cell phone technology is so much cheaper infrastructure than land-lines that most developing countries don't even bother with land-lines. The cell phone is the future of the world, and Apple is not exactly the company that poor folks afford or own.

In regards to computers, yes, they are also ALL complicit in these manufacturing practices, but again, Macs cost MUCH more than other more affordable laptops and towers, so just as cheaper cell phones are changing the developing world, so are affordable computers. Be it in South Central Los Angeles or Johanessburg folks are suddenly getting increasing access to computers as they become so much more affordable. So yes, ALL electronics companies are scandalous, but at the least those that AREN'T Apple also sell their products to the poor people that Apple only exploits

SuchFriendsAreDangerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.30.2012, 11:08 PM   #63
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by E. Noisefield
I had to sign another 2 year contract (both of us did, actually, because we're on a family plan) just to get the fucking piece of paper.

I do need a mobile office, as I am a goddamn office drone with no fucking life, but if I'm going to buy one, I'd like to have the satisfaction of walking out with the fucking thing in my hands. Right now it feels like bullshit and I'm considering calling them (so I can be on hold for an hour) and telling them to fuck their mothers.

yeah no kidding. a piece of paper is a load of balls for signing a 2 year contract. especially if the contract begins today and your phone arrives 3 months for now.

what i meant by mobile office is if you're on the road a lot, etc., which is when the phone is really sweet sweet payoff. the other day i was on a job site and i needed a manual to get some shit to work and i watched the youtube demo right away. i fucking love my phone, it gets the job done and doesn't crash unlike my wife's droid which was nice at first and then quickly turned to crap.

contracts are bullshit for me, so i'd rather pay for the phone upfront and then be free to sell off the thing and change plans or whatever when i decide, which is why i went with virgin mobile (check them out, really, they are owned by sprint: http://www.virginmobileusa.com/ )

anyway if your family plan is for whatever reason more advantageous than a no-contract deal then maybe you want to keep it, who knows, everyone needs something different. but i wouldn't sign a contract without the hardware. when did they tell you it will arrive? two days, two weeks, two months?
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.30.2012, 11:11 PM   #64
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuchFriendsAreDangerous
overly inflated prices

this is just to say that market economies don't work that way, so unless you understand the role of prices in markets your arguments (all of them, not just the quoted bit) really have no legs.

if that's too broad of a critique, allow me to clarify: emperor suchfriends does not get to decide what things are worth to everybody else; individual consumers do that with their own money.
Old 09.30.2012, 11:20 PM   #65
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
this is just to say that market economies don't work that way, so unless you understand the role of prices in markets your arguments (all of them, not just the quoted bit) really have no legs.

if that's too vague of a critique allow me to clarify: emperor suchfriends does not get to decide what things are worth to everybody else;

mp3 players=25-125

iPod=75-250

decent cell phones=75-200

iPhones= 200-500

mac=600-2600

PC Laptop=200-1000

what about the market were you selling woof tickets about? Apple is like DeBeers, they artificially inflate their prices..

Keeping running your grill fool, you just keep looking more and more like a pampered, spoiled, Saved By the Bell little bitch yo

In fact, I think if I'm Emperor Such Friends (that'd be Your Highness to Octavio Paz hating on folks like you), then I suppose you can be !@#$%! Romney!

Quote:
individual consumers do that.

Quote:
47% of the world can't afford Iphones.. my job is not to worry about them

Old 10.01.2012, 06:13 AM   #66
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
yeah no kidding. a piece of paper is a load of balls for signing a 2 year contract. especially if the contract begins today and your phone arrives 3 months for now.

what i meant by mobile office is if you're on the road a lot, etc., which is when the phone is really sweet sweet payoff. the other day i was on a job site and i needed a manual to get some shit to work and i watched the youtube demo right away. i fucking love my phone, it gets the job done and doesn't crash unlike my wife's droid which was nice at first and then quickly turned to crap.

contracts are bullshit for me, so i'd rather pay for the phone upfront and then be free to sell off the thing and change plans or whatever when i decide, which is why i went with virgin mobile (check them out, really, they are owned by sprint: http://www.virginmobileusa.com/ )

anyway if your family plan is for whatever reason more advantageous than a no-contract deal then maybe you want to keep it, who knows, everyone needs something different. but i wouldn't sign a contract without the hardware. when did they tell you it will arrive? two days, two weeks, two months?

About three weeks. And I almost did sign us on to Sprint, but I've heard terrible things about their service. Also, they couldn't have gotten them to us any time sooner.
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.01.2012, 06:14 AM   #67
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:

About three weeks. And I almost did sign us on to Sprint, but I've heard terrible things about their service. Also, they couldn't have gotten them to us any time sooner.
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.01.2012, 09:55 AM   #68
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Severian

ah i see. i love virgin mobile though the network doesn't extend as far as other networks where i live. this can be a problem some times but life is full of tradeoffs and in my case i value more the flexibility of pay-as-you-go since their network is sufficient for my needs (eg i dont live in the dc area where verizon is the only phone that works in metro stations; i don't live in a rural area where sprint has weak or no service).

i think as long as the contract begins the day you activate your new phone you should be fine-- the paper puts you in a queue. is a 3 week wait worth it to you? can you live with your old phone/contract in the meantime or do you need a new phone TODAY? i ask because my wife has been waiting to replace her dying droid with an iphone5 and it will happen one of these days, but it doesn't need to happen today, so we're in a similar position except nobody here has signed anything. i think having 4G LTE on an iphone is well worth the 3-week wait if a "good network" is important to you.

if the iphone is not really a priority for you but you still want a good tricorder, the samsung galaxy s3 is giving the iphone a good run for its money-- here's a comparative review. but then again, there are intelectual property battles going on (apple has been suing samsung for intelectual theft). and there's always something new around the bend, like a samsung s4 presumably coming out in february. so with your 2-year contract i'd suggest it's best to find something that will keep you happy for the next 2 years rather than making you doubt yourself six months from now.... waiting 3 weeks might be worth it, even though the image of you "walking out with a piece of paper" is fucking hilarious.
Old 10.01.2012, 10:08 AM   #69
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

Quote:

mp3 players=25-125

iPod=75-250

decent cell phones=75-200

iPhones= 200-500

mac=600-2600

PC Laptop=200-1000

what about the market were you selling woof tickets about? Apple is like DeBeers, they artificially inflate their prices..

Keeping running your grill fool, you just keep looking more and more like a pampered, spoiled, Saved By the Bell little bitch yo

In fact, I think if I'm Emperor Such Friends (that'd be Your Highness to Octavio Paz hating on folks like you), then I suppose you can be !@#$%! Romney!

suchbrains: your absurdities crack me up man. i quoted your post so i can continue laughing in case you change the original.

please learn the realities of the world you so willfully continue to ignore, and let's continue out "conversation" in a month or so:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Economic_problem
Old 10.01.2012, 11:53 AM   #70
Keeping It Simple
invito al cielo

Keeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's asses
I didn't realise there was so many Apple fanboys on this forum.
Keeping It Simple is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.01.2012, 06:12 PM   #71
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

Quote:
suchbrains: your absurdities crack me up man. i quoted your post so i can continue laughing in case you change the original.

please learn the realities of the world you so willfully continue to ignore, and let's continue out "conversation" in a month or so:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Economic_problem

Since you don't want to have an adult conversation, I guess I'll just have to revert to getting ignorant about it so you can hear me..

Funny, I was thinking the same thing about you. By the way, please stop being so condescending and telling me about the ways of the world, you just keep making yourself look all the more petty and a prick. I'm glad you think I live in a trust fund world, but I grew up on the grit and grind, and busters like you we ate for breakfast. This is the internet, catch me on the block and we'll LEAVE with YOUR new iPhone, ya heard?

oh yeah. yr no longer !@#$%hole.. now you are

!@#$%ton Banks and the Fresh President from Bell Air

Old 10.01.2012, 06:28 PM   #72
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

suchbrainsaredangerous: i can't afford a bentley. it's a fucking expensive car. some people pay a fuckload of money for it. i cannot do that.

do i waste time going to bentley about their "overly inflated prices"? no i don't.

do i cry about the people who buy a bentley? do i waste time and energy hating them? no i don't.

what do i do? i buy myself the car i can afford (used american vehicle) and take care of my needs within my budget.

you know what a budget is? it's when you have finite money and infinite wants and you make choices on how to spend that money. guns or butter, that sort of thing.

dolt.
Old 10.01.2012, 06:37 PM   #73
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

Quote:
suchbrainsaredangerous: i can't afford a bentley. it's a fucking expensive car. some people pay a fuckload of money for it. i cannot do that.

do i waste time going to bentley about their "overly inflated prices"? no i don't.

do i cry about the people who buy a bentley? do i waste time and energy hating them? no i don't.

what do i do? i buy myself the car i can afford (used american vehicle) and take care of my needs within my budget.

you know what a budget is? it's when you have finite money and infinite wants and you make choices on how to spend that money. guns or butter, that sort of thing.

dolt.

If Bentley's were the most purchased car like Apple are the most purchased electronics currently perhaps the debate would relevant. Just admit your bias that you are brainwashed and therefore biased by Apple, but don't you fucking be condescending to me bitch, I've had enough of that trick shit from you. I ain't crying bitch, its called ADVOCACY. Should we all just shut up and let fucked up shit happen cuz it happens? Seems like your approach.

Grow up or shut up motherfucker but stay the fuck out of our way, or the revolucion will eat you up and spit out your selfish bones !@#$%ton Banks and the Fresh President From Bell Air

Old 10.01.2012, 06:41 PM   #74
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

Quote:
If Bentley's were the most purchased car like Apple are the most purchased electronics

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...le_phones#2012

lololol

you fucking dolt!

please write back when you know what you're "avocating" about. srsly.
Old 10.01.2012, 06:43 PM   #75
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

Quote:
I told you whats up bitch, stop talking to me that way motherfucker, I ain't having it anymore you trick ass spoiled little prick.

suchbrains, you are highly entertaining. the more you rage, the more i laugh.

please rage some more.
Old 10.01.2012, 06:46 PM   #76
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

Quote:
suchbrains, you are highly entertaining. the more you rage, the more i laugh.

please rage some more.

I ain't ragin, just ain't gonna let a silly ass bitch like you think you are some kind of pseudo-intellectual bully. You AINT. You're just !@#$%!ton Banks

Old 10.01.2012, 06:50 PM   #77
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

Quote:
I ain't ragin, just ain't gonna let a silly ass bitch like you think you are some kind of bully.

bully? you are the one making threats, i'm just mocking you.

say it again please:

"advocacy"
Old 10.01.2012, 06:59 PM   #78
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

okay i thought of another phrase for you if you can pleeeeeeease say it:

"la revolucion will spare bentleys"
Old 10.01.2012, 06:59 PM   #79
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

Quote:
bully? you are the one making threats, i'm just mocking you.

say it again please:

"advocacy"

Can't you read the things you have been saying and how demeaning, insulting, and condescending they are? We can disagree about debatable matters, but you ain't got to be mean about it. To be sure, I never directly threatened you, rather told you what's up, that if you were to try to talk to me in the same disrespectful and insulting tones to my face, I'd have no choice but to assume those are fighting words. In fact, I'd probably do what I did on this forum, I'd walk away. However, you just KEEP running your mouth, and if in real life you kept getting in my ear about this shit, I'd have no choice but to assume you took my kindness for weakness.

I may be a Christian, but I ain't soft homie. So just remember, YOU started this. I posted some incendiary and sometimes even largely facetious comments about politics, to which you responded with deeply personal insults about my integrity, my intelligence, and even my manhood. What do you expect, that you can just talk to people like they weren't shit or what? Where I live that don't fly, I can't talk to people that way without getting chin-checked or an eye-swoll, so just know you started all this, but I ain't gonna back down to your petty bullying, even if I should! Believe it or not until very recently I honestly respected, liked, and even trusted you, but that way you've been talking to me the past few weeks, fuck it, I see what you really are and how you really act, like a straight up BITCH!

Old 10.01.2012, 07:07 PM   #80
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

Quote:
Can't you read the things you have been saying and how demeaning, insulting, and condescending they are?

i guess so-- i grow impatient with your recalcitrant lunacy. i am just human.

Quote:
We can disagree, but you ain't got ot mean about it.

fiiiiiiiiine! but jeezus fuck it is so irritating sometimes to try to make you see things from a perspective different from your obstinate, obdurate, narrow-minded conviction. not to make you agree, you understand?-- just simply see it-- that it would take a saint not to lose their patience discussing things with you, and a saint i am clearly NOT.

Quote:
To be sure, I never directly threatened you, rather told you what's up, that if you were to try to talk to me in the same disrespectful and insulting tones to my face, I'd have no choice but to assume those are fighting words. In fact, I'd probably do what I did on this forum, I'd walk away. However, you just KEEP running your mouth, and if in real life you kept getting in my ear about this shit, I'd have no choice but to assume you took my kindness for weakness.

I may be a Christian, but I ain't soft homie. So just remember, YOU started this. I posted some incendiary and sometimes even largely facetious comments about politics, to which you responded with deeply personal insults about my integrity, my intelligence, and even my manhood. What do you expect, that you can just talk to people like they weren't shit or what? Where I live that don't fly, I can't talk to people that way without getting chin-checked or an eye-swoll, so just know you started all this, but I ain't gonna back down to your petty bullying, even if I should! Believe it or not until very recently I honestly respected, liked, and even trusted you, but that way you've been talking to me the past few weeks, fuck it, I see what you really are and how you really act, like a straight up BITCH!

tl;dr. you're a stubborn fucking goat! open your mind to new ideas, you fucking zealot holy prophet. at least try learning new facts and theories every now and then. even if you arrive to a different conclusion that somebody else, at least do your mind the favor to entertain those foreign notions that so threaten your convictions.

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth