Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page Animal Collective on Conan
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 09.20.2007, 06:32 PM   #21
afterthefact
invito al cielo

afterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by vulva
I've always hated this band
"Hate" has really lost it's impact nowadays. I prefer the phrase "loathe with every living cell in my body."
afterthefact is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.20.2007, 06:43 PM   #22
vulva
the end of the ugly

vulva kicks all y'all's assesvulva kicks all y'all's assesvulva kicks all y'all's assesvulva kicks all y'all's assesvulva kicks all y'all's assesvulva kicks all y'all's assesvulva kicks all y'all's assesvulva kicks all y'all's assesvulva kicks all y'all's assesvulva kicks all y'all's assesvulva kicks all y'all's asses
fine, I've always seen this band as a time thief.
vulva is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.20.2007, 06:58 PM   #23
nature scene
100%

nature scene cold hard suckanature scene cold hard suckanature scene cold hard suckanature scene cold hard suckanature scene cold hard suckanature scene cold hard suckanature scene cold hard suckanature scene cold hard suckanature scene cold hard suckanature scene cold hard suckanature scene cold hard sucka
care to elaborate?
nature scene is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.20.2007, 07:09 PM   #24
vulva
the end of the ugly

vulva kicks all y'all's assesvulva kicks all y'all's assesvulva kicks all y'all's assesvulva kicks all y'all's assesvulva kicks all y'all's assesvulva kicks all y'all's assesvulva kicks all y'all's assesvulva kicks all y'all's assesvulva kicks all y'all's assesvulva kicks all y'all's assesvulva kicks all y'all's asses
listening to them is a complete waste of my time, thus they steal my time making them thieves.
vulva is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.20.2007, 07:26 PM   #25
fugazifan
invito al cielo

fugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by vulva
I've always hated this band
youve said this before
i really love peacebone. but the whole album is fantastic. my favorites so far (after about 6 listenes) are
peacebone
reverand green
and the perfect beyond words
cukoo
easily their most solid album (and by solid i dont mean best i mean i dont have as many sudden mood swings like all of their previos efforts)
and they are fantastic live, saw em in boston a few weeks ago, they were amazing

www.myspace.com/dellilahtheband
www.myspace.com/lecirquedesvampiresmusic
fugazifan is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.20.2007, 08:26 PM   #26
fugazifan
invito al cielo

fugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's asses
video of the AC
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7zbYYKzTFeQ

Old 09.20.2007, 08:32 PM   #27
nature scene
100%

nature scene cold hard suckanature scene cold hard suckanature scene cold hard suckanature scene cold hard suckanature scene cold hard suckanature scene cold hard suckanature scene cold hard suckanature scene cold hard suckanature scene cold hard suckanature scene cold hard suckanature scene cold hard sucka
yeah, I do like that video - such a great song. Their neighbors must have loved them.

Here's a video of Avey Tare and Panda Bear playing Winter's Love prior to the release of Sung Tongs:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P0fV-CwlBkQ

Contrast that to this performance of We Tigers, I believe last year.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N9F5ZthSUcE

I like the energy they play with, no matter the style of the song. It's a lot of fun to watch a band that really enjoys playing its music.

While I'm at it here's some other videos:

Cool version of Purple Bottle (Planet Claire Session)
Otherwise unknown song "I've got mine"
Video for Leaf House
For Reverend Green Live
Old 09.20.2007, 08:51 PM   #28
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
wouldn't be amazing if they did cuckoo cuckoo? of course they wont', they'll do peacebone.

also, how can anyone HATE animal collective? i can see someone not being into it, but hatred? how can anyone hate beautiful melodies, beautiful harmonies, original song ideas and structures, beautiful singing, etc? Blows my mind.. i don't sit around and listen to, like, the beach boys every day.. but i recognize their brilliance enough to not hate them. They're just too good. Same thing here. Eh. I'm not saying you have to be in love with them; but universally speaking, they're a pretty hard band to hate.

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.20.2007, 10:10 PM   #29
nature scene
100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by atsonicpark
wouldn't be amazing if they did cuckoo cuckoo? of course they wont', they'll do peacebone.

also, how can anyone HATE animal collective? i can see someone not being into it, but hatred? how can anyone hate beautiful melodies, beautiful harmonies, original song ideas and structures, beautiful singing, etc? Blows my mind.. i don't sit around and listen to, like, the beach boys every day.. but i recognize their brilliance enough to not hate them. They're just too good. Same thing here. Eh. I'm not saying you have to be in love with them; but universally speaking, they're a pretty hard band to hate.

true that.
Old 09.21.2007, 06:38 AM   #30
unlurker
little trouble girl

unlurker kicks all y'all's assesunlurker kicks all y'all's assesunlurker kicks all y'all's assesunlurker kicks all y'all's assesunlurker kicks all y'all's assesunlurker kicks all y'all's assesunlurker kicks all y'all's assesunlurker kicks all y'all's assesunlurker kicks all y'all's assesunlurker kicks all y'all's assesunlurker kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by atsonicpark

i don't "hate" them but,

it was hard watching Built to Spill rip off Neil Young
and then watching Modest Mouse rip off Built to Spill
and then watching Animal Collective ripping off Modest Mouse.

i wouldn't really associate the term "brilliance" with them.
unlurker is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.21.2007, 06:57 AM   #31
fugazifan
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by unlurker
i don't "hate" them but,

it was hard watching Built to Spill rip off Neil Young
and then watching Modest Mouse rip off Built to Spill
and then watching Animal Collective ripping off Modest Mouse.

i wouldn't really associate the term "brilliance" with them.
i have heard a few modest mouse cds and was far from impressed. granted they have an ok vibe, they are not nearly as interesting or inovative or have such a vast range of sounds and songs as animal collective.
and would certainly not just mark them off as a "modest mouse ripoff band"

Old 09.21.2007, 07:03 AM   #32
nature scene
100%

I keep hearing this animal collective/modest mouse thing brought up. First off, I'm guessing anyone that's making that comparison has probably only heard the most recent Animal Collective material (or probably only read the Tiny Mix Tapes review of SJ, saying that it sounds influenced by early MM.) and has never dared to look into their back catalog.

If you listen to an album like Here Comes the Indian and still think they sound like Modest Mouse, well then I'm just baffled. However, if you listen to HCTI and you get kinda scared, or are like "what the hell?" then I'd understand a lot more.

I've been listening to this band for about 3 or 4 years now and I still can't pin down what they sound like (except maybe the beach boys in some places). Every album has a distinct style and sound. But I also understand that it's not easy to get into them - it took me a long time after first hearing HCTI and Sung Tongs before ever giving them a second go. Feels and Strawberry Jam are different - very accessible, very poppy, still good albums.

Studio recordings don't do justice to the energy and sheer wildness of AC though. I've seen Modest Mouse play and I've seen Animal Collective play. I think if you saw them both, the comparisons would stop.

But. . . whatever floats your boat. One fewer person at the next AC show!
Old 09.21.2007, 07:15 AM   #33
nature scene
100%

For those that dig the AC, more great news. I got this from their board, hope it's fo' real:

On September 28th, NPR will be broadcasting the Animal Collective show from D.C.. How cool is that?
Old 09.21.2007, 09:09 AM   #34
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
i've listened to animal collective for 5 years. and i've yet to hear anything remotely similiar to modest mouse.

*edit:* WAIT! I'M WRONG@! both bands have guitars! and off-kilter melodies! shiiiiiiiiit!

Old 09.21.2007, 09:14 AM   #35
finding nobody
invito al cielo

finding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's asses
That's cool they're getting the exposure they diserve. But, at the same time I hope they don't get toooo big.
finding nobody is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.21.2007, 09:31 AM   #36
nature scene
100%

I don't think that's in danger of happening, but I wouldn't mind it at all. I want their music to have an impact on as many people as possible.
Old 09.21.2007, 09:39 AM   #37
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

yeah.

i'd rather avey tare's last solo album get popular but that shit ain't happening. it's so beautiful too.

I'M THE BACKWARDS MAN THE BACKWARDS MAN I CAN GO BACKWARDS FAST AS YOU CAN

Old 09.21.2007, 09:49 AM   #38
HaydenAsche
invito al cielo

HaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
yankee

Bring it you dirty confederate.
Old 09.21.2007, 10:29 AM   #39
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
I really really like animal collective. i will tune into Cona to watch them.
they make me feel good oh so good.

they rule all over mychemicalromance bullshit you know?

here is my page about animal colective, with 6-7 videos, from the Instigator Video Jukebox

http://instigatorvideojukebox.blogsp...ollective.html
Old 09.21.2007, 10:30 AM   #40
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
I love noise and all, but i alsop really love songs, and a band like wolf eyes just don;t bring the SONGS you know?????

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth