Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page Non-fiction book that's had the biggest impact on you
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 11.18.2009, 12:13 PM   #41
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
I'm tempted to say John Cage's Silence, because I've read it so many times and used it so often. But I think Lyotard's Libidinal Economy, although less used, has saturated my mind to a more puzzling degree. It's continuing to baffle me as we speak, in fact.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.18.2009, 04:23 PM   #42
looking glass spectacle
100%

looking glass spectacle kicks all y'all's asseslooking glass spectacle kicks all y'all's asseslooking glass spectacle kicks all y'all's asseslooking glass spectacle kicks all y'all's asseslooking glass spectacle kicks all y'all's asseslooking glass spectacle kicks all y'all's asseslooking glass spectacle kicks all y'all's asseslooking glass spectacle kicks all y'all's asseslooking glass spectacle kicks all y'all's asseslooking glass spectacle kicks all y'all's asseslooking glass spectacle kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glice
I'm tempted to say John Cage's Silence, because I've read it so many times and used it so often. But I think Lyotard's Libidinal Economy, although less used, has saturated my mind to a more puzzling degree. It's continuing to baffle me as we speak, in fact.

lyotard's heidegger and 'the jews' has done that to me as well. it's his conception of history and memory... i read it again most recently after watching 'waltz with bashir' and all the passages about the shoah and memory seemed to be about that movie instead, or vice versa..... i can't remember a time when i did not think about this book, although i know such a time existed... i guess that's just how memory works...

looking glass spectacle is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.18.2009, 05:25 PM   #43
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
Ni'k:

Have you seen Ken Loach's film, Family Life? It's inspired by Laing's practices at Kingsley Hall and really is excellent.

I definitely agree with what you say about how disturbing Sanity, Madness and the Family is. That was my first introduction to Laing and really got me into looking at him and his ideas in more detail. Also, have you read David Cooper's book, Death of the Family? It was written at about the same time as Laing's book and covers similar ground (Cooper was also a key figure within the anti-psychiatry movemernt) but with some interesting differences. I keep trying to get hold of a copy of Asylums but haven't had any luck so far.

Notyourfiend:

Yeah, i think the main difference between Laing and Foucault was that Laing was really observing on his own practice as a psychiatrist, while Foucault was trying to place similar ideas within some kind of a historical framework, especially in Birth of the Clinic.

Regarding Guattari, the Guattari Reader has some good essays dealing explicitely with Laing and his own experience as part of the anti-psychiatry movement. Really interesting, and far easier to absorb than a lot of what he wrote in collaboration with Deleuze.

It's funny, I was thinking about Artaud while thinking about your point regarding Foucault and your mention of Artaud's book Theatre and its Double reminded me that I really must get around to reading it. So thanks for that.
demonrail666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.18.2009, 06:12 PM   #44
ni'k
invito al cielo

ni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's asses
I will check out that ken loach film and the david cooper book.

i want to do a more in depth post about laing in the future.
ni'k is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.18.2009, 06:13 PM   #45
notyourfiend
expwy. to yr skull

notyourfiend kicks all y'all's assesnotyourfiend kicks all y'all's assesnotyourfiend kicks all y'all's assesnotyourfiend kicks all y'all's assesnotyourfiend kicks all y'all's assesnotyourfiend kicks all y'all's assesnotyourfiend kicks all y'all's assesnotyourfiend kicks all y'all's assesnotyourfiend kicks all y'all's assesnotyourfiend kicks all y'all's assesnotyourfiend kicks all y'all's asses
^ expect an in-depth post about laing and foucault in a lil bit.

im trying to finish off some office assignments first.

notyourfiend is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.18.2009, 07:47 PM   #46
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
Amidst all this, considering I started the thread, I should mention the books which have had the biggest impact on me:

Christopher Hill's The World Turned Upside Down; Gerrard Winstanley's The Law of Freedom and, most recently, two books by Peter Taylor, The Provos and The Loyalists.
Old 11.18.2009, 08:04 PM   #47
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by demonrail666
Amidst all this, considering I started the thread, I should mention the books which have had the biggest impact on me:

Christopher Hill's The World Turned Upside Down; Gerrard Winstanley's The Law of Freedom and, most recently, two books by Peter Taylor, The Provos and The Loyalists.

what kind of impact did they make? did they change your life somehow? or are we just talking about books we like?
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.18.2009, 08:15 PM   #48
Sonic Youth 37
invito al cielo

Location: if there is a bright spot in the universe, the farthest point from it
Sonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's asses

Old 11.18.2009, 08:33 PM   #49
HaydenAsche
invito al cielo

HaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's asses
The Diary of Anne Frank. Seriously.
Old 11.18.2009, 08:35 PM   #50
demonrail666
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by !@#$%!
what kind of impact did they make? did they change your life somehow? or are we just talking about books we like?

I'm really interested in locating contemporary problems within unresolved conflicts that took place in the past. As such I found Hill's book about the English Civil War and Winstanley's writings during that period especially enlightening in the way that they both seemed to provide some light on contemporary issues.

In the case of Peter Taylor's two books (especially The Loyalists), it was a way of understanding (without necessarily sympathising with) a lot of what was talked about within my family (which had stong Loyalist leanings) regarding the whole Northern Ireland issue. Throughout much of my childhood I was expected not to understand but merely to accept their view and for years I reacted by simply rejecting all of it and not paying any interest in either side. So it was a big step for me to finally read those books and so, yes, I suppose in that small way they were quite life-changing.
Old 11.18.2009, 08:57 PM   #51
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by demonrail666
I'm really interested in locating contemporary problems within unresolved conflicts that took place in the past. As such I found Hill's book about the English Civil War and Winstanley's writings during that period especially enlightening in the way that they both seemed to provide some light on contemporary issues.

In the case of Peter Taylor's two books (especially The Loyalists), it was a way of understanding (without necessarily sympathising with) a lot of what was talked about within my family (which had stong Loyalist leanings) regarding the whole Northern Ireland issue. Throughout much of my childhood I was expected not to understand but merely to accept their view and for years I reacted by simply rejecting all of it and not paying any interest in either side. So it was a big step for me to finally read those books and so, yes, I suppose in that small way they were quite life-changing.

fucking good explanation, especially #2. thanks.
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.19.2009, 05:51 PM   #52
jennthebenn
expwy. to yr skull

jennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's asses
In Cold Blood.

My first exposure to the true crime genre. I've been a voracious reader of
the best that category has to offer since.
Old 11.19.2009, 06:07 PM   #53
demonrail666
invito al cielo

I'm also really into the whole true crime thing but I tend to concentrate on the British stuff. I've read In Cold Blood but are there any other classic American ones worth hunting down?
Old 11.19.2009, 06:22 PM   #54
jennthebenn
expwy. to yr skull

jennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's asses
The Stranger Beside Me by Ann Rule
Helter Skelter by Vincent Bugliosi
Buried Dreams by Tim Cahill (this does not have the exact "classic" status
of the rest, but it's the best book on the Gacy case you'll ever read)
Fatal Vision
Fatal Justice...both these books take two dramatically different looks at
a single murder case. You can read the latter without
having read the former, but I'd still recommend checking
out both.
Old 11.19.2009, 06:55 PM   #55
floatingslowly
invito al cielo

floatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's asses
oh shit. helter skelter. I've read that three times, so I guess it counts.

I was highly inspired by the detailed account of psychokinetic manipulation at distances greater than three point one four feet.

I've yet to stop a watch, but I'm trying.
floatingslowly is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.19.2009, 07:04 PM   #56
Tokolosh
invito al cielo

Tokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's asses
Some of my favorite books on organized crime.

Murder Machine - The story of Roy DeMeo and his crew.
The Westies - Inside New York's Irish mob.
Underboss: Sammy the Bull Gravano's story of life in the mafia.

Buried Dreams looks interesting, Jenn.
Old 11.19.2009, 07:12 PM   #57
HaydenAsche
invito al cielo

HaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's asses
Also, TiKHAL and PiKHAL are both books that changed the entire concept of drugs for me. Plus, I get real hot when I hear details of synthesis.

" Recrystallization from THF / Et2O provided 20 g (75%) 5-methoxy-N,N-dimethylindol-3-ylglyoxylamide, mp 223-223.5 °C, as fine white crystals."

Oh, yeah. That gets me going.
Old 11.19.2009, 09:18 PM   #58
jerf
children of satan

jerf kicks all y'all's assesjerf kicks all y'all's assesjerf kicks all y'all's assesjerf kicks all y'all's assesjerf kicks all y'all's assesjerf kicks all y'all's assesjerf kicks all y'all's assesjerf kicks all y'all's assesjerf kicks all y'all's assesjerf kicks all y'all's assesjerf kicks all y'all's asses

a great book about picking up the pieces and finding yourself when nothing else makes sense. sure, i didnt have it as bad as peart, but it helped me make sense of things during a rough patch a few years ago.

jerf is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.19.2009, 10:42 PM   #59
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
this book really shook me up when I was 16 and shoplifted it.

Old 11.19.2009, 10:46 PM   #60
pbradley
invito al cielo

pbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's asses
I've been looking for this everywhere for a while now:

Has yet to impact me.
pbradley is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth