Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page >>the last movie you watched
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 05.12.2012, 02:10 PM   #15661
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses

The Beast From 20,000 Fathoms.

Coming a year before Godzilla, this had to have been an influence. Especially the second half. Excellent effects by Ray Harryhausen and a great climax, when the monster attacks Coney Island amusement park. Not my favourite 50s monster movie but definitely one of them.

I mention Godzilla as a warning because I picked up an enormous boxset and plan to slowly work my way through the whole lot. So any haters of all things Godzilla, now would be a good time to put me on ignore.
demonrail666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.12.2012, 05:59 PM   #15662
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
The thing that put me off The Joker in Burton's first film was Jack Nicholson. He was perfectly cast but I just find him so irritating. But I agree about Burton's films being quite otherworldy. Like you, I'm not generally a fan of his but I love how he gave a kind of fairy tale feel to the first two films.

Anyway, prior to starting my Godzilla marathon, just caught this on TV:

Con-Air

There's really nothing good about this movie but I found myself enjoying it nonetheless.
Old 05.12.2012, 08:14 PM   #15663
Dr. Eugene Felikson
invito al cielo

Dr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's asses

A surprisingly dull film that proves that just because you have an excellent cast, doesn't mean you're automatically going to have memorable characters if the script, nor director are up to par. Smash Cut is chock full of nods to the 70's schlock of yore but fails to stand up on its own two feet and present itself as something worthwhile.

Watch only if you're a die-hard fan of David Hess, Sasha Grey or H.G. Lewis. Be warned though, even then you'll probably be disappointed.
Dr. Eugene Felikson is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.13.2012, 04:11 AM   #15664
demonrail666
invito al cielo

You honestly prefer Kill Bill to Pulp Fiction?

It! The Terror From Beyond Space.

This is probably most famous for being a major influence on Alien but isn't up to much and certainly not as good as Alien.

Godzilla (1954)

This really is a masterpiece. Compared with where the Hollywood B-Movie was at the same time, Godzilla was light years ahead: relatively complex plot and some innovative camerawork; it's about as close to the Arthouse as any monster movie has got.
Old 05.13.2012, 04:14 AM   #15665
demonrail666
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Eugene Felikson
Watch only if you're a die-hard fan of David Hess, Sasha Grey or H.G. Lewis. Be warned though, even then you'll probably be disappointed.

I've not seen it but your review confirmed what I'd assumed. It all seems like it's trying a bit too hard.
Old 05.13.2012, 05:20 AM   #15666
sonic sphere
invito al cielo

sonic sphere kicks all y'all's assessonic sphere kicks all y'all's assessonic sphere kicks all y'all's assessonic sphere kicks all y'all's assessonic sphere kicks all y'all's assessonic sphere kicks all y'all's assessonic sphere kicks all y'all's assessonic sphere kicks all y'all's assessonic sphere kicks all y'all's assessonic sphere kicks all y'all's assessonic sphere kicks all y'all's asses

"wanker" - All Hail WATT
sonic sphere is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.13.2012, 11:15 AM   #15667
demonrail666
invito al cielo

Godzilla Raids Again (1955)

Sequel to the original that's more action packed but nowhere near as interesting or exciting.
Old 05.13.2012, 11:26 AM   #15668
Dr. Eugene Felikson
invito al cielo

Dr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's asses
I've always thought that if Kill Bill were released as it was originally intended, with both parts 1 & 2 as a single film - that it'd probably be QT's masterpiece.

A 6/10 does seem kinda low for Pulp Fiction, however. But what do I know, my favorite QT associated movies are Natural Born Killers, and From Dusk Till Dawn. Out of the flicks he directed - I think I'd have to go with Jackie Brown as my fav. Ooooh, or Four Rooms if that counts!

Has anyone seen this??

I passed it up on VHS once, and now sincerely regret it.
Old 05.13.2012, 11:35 AM   #15669
Dr. Eugene Felikson
invito al cielo

Also, anyone still on the fence over the Avengers: go see it. NOW. IN 3-D!! It's outstanding.
Old 05.13.2012, 11:53 AM   #15670
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeDistortion
Is the new "Total Recall" with Colin "Fookin' " Farrell going to be in 3-D? 3-D Triple nipple

haaa haaa haaa.

Quote:
just because you have an excellent cast

lol cmon, sasha grey had nice tits and ass but she could not even fake a proper orgasm, now we can't expect her to actually act with those dead eyes she has.

Quote:
Also, anyone still on the fence over the Avengers: go see it. NOW. IN 3-D!! It's outstanding.

im going to a matinee in the middle of the week to save money and avoid crowds.
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.13.2012, 12:03 PM   #15671
Dr. Eugene Felikson
invito al cielo

I honestly thought Sasha did an excellent job in Soderbergh's The Girlfriend Experience. I'd love to see her in more genuine acting roles. She'd make a great scream queen.
Old 05.13.2012, 12:41 PM   #15672
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
I honestly thought Sasha did an excellent job in Soderbergh's The Girlfriend Experience.

that's the magic of casting. she basically played her own jaded self.
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.13.2012, 01:24 PM   #15673
Dr. Eugene Felikson
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murmer99
Pulp Fiction is fine, but too much of it was pointless to me. What you said about Kill Bill seems accurate for this one I think. It had more than what was needed, and could've been a lot more entertaining that way if it had been shortened. I think it's overrated, but still worth a watch.

as for Kill Bill, I have yet to see volume 2 believe it or not. The first one was pretty fun, and I loved the last fight scene. It's still nothing special to me... From Dusk Till Dawn is probably my favorite but it was directed by Rodriguez wasn't it? I am a little uncertain about how Tarantino's movies became so popular... aside from the big names he's worked with. Kill Bill kind of surprised me by having an 8 minute sequence done in anime. I wonder how most people reacted to that, but to my knowledge it's receieved a lot of acclaim. Apparently he wants to make a few more sequels. I think he even teased making an anime version.

Also, I often hear about how great his dialogue is, and I just haven't seen it. Or rather, he's far from the best at it. "Silly rabbit, tricks are for kids". Really? He's not too bad though. But this is coming from someone who still hasn't seen a couple of his films. Natural Born Killers is one of them.

From Dusk Till Dawn and Natural Born Killers were both written by Tarantino, but directed by others. FDTD was helmed by Rodriguez, and NBK is an Oliver Stone film. Tarantino actually notoriously hates what Stone did with his script - but honestly, I like NBK a hell of a lot more than anything Tarantino ever directed himself. Trippy visuals, and NIN on the soundtrack - yes plz!

The anime scene from Kill Bill vol. 1 is by Katsuhito Ishii. He's one of my favorite directors ever. His attention to detail is absurd, either that or he just has an immaculate wardrobe department. They're so lively and vibrant too! You can really tell he's an animator by the way he directs. His films Shark Skin Man and Peach Hip Girl, Funky Forest, and The Taste of Tea are definitely ones you should check out. They're right up your alley, man.

The second KB film has more of a modern western feel compared to the samurai-vibe given by the first. I just think they would've bled very interestingly into one another. Sorta like FDTD.

His new flick is about slaves or something and stars DeCaprio. I'm not too excited, but we'll see... I guess.
Old 05.13.2012, 01:43 PM   #15674
Dude McDude
bad moon rising

Dude McDude kicks all y'all's assesDude McDude kicks all y'all's assesDude McDude kicks all y'all's assesDude McDude kicks all y'all's assesDude McDude kicks all y'all's assesDude McDude kicks all y'all's assesDude McDude kicks all y'all's assesDude McDude kicks all y'all's assesDude McDude kicks all y'all's assesDude McDude kicks all y'all's assesDude McDude kicks all y'all's asses
Saw Chronicle the other day. Really OK movie actually.

The story was pretty much stolen from Akira, the only anime i like. Can't wait for the remake by the way.

the colony of unlimited power will pass a despot of hardly any man
Dude McDude is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.13.2012, 03:06 PM   #15675
demonrail666
invito al cielo

My favourite Tarantino is Jackie Brown. That was the one where I felt like he'd finally grown out of his earlier obsessions, so I really thought Kill Bill was a step backward.

The problem I have with his dialogue is everyone ends up talking with the same 'voice', which reached its most annoying point with Death Proof. The only one that I think really avoided it was Jackie Brown, maybe because most of the dialogue was written by Elmore Leonard.
Old 05.13.2012, 05:45 PM   #15676
Dr. Eugene Felikson
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonrail666
My favourite Tarantino is Jackie Brown. That was the one where I felt like he'd finally grown out of his earlier obsessions, so I really thought Kill Bill was a step backward.

The problem I have with his dialogue is everyone ends up talking with the same 'voice', which reached its most annoying point with Death Proof. The only one that I think really avoided it was Jackie Brown, maybe because most of the dialogue was written by Elmore Leonard.

Yes. This. Except for the part about KB being a step backward. I actually don't think Jackie Brown is much less Tarantino than his other films. I mean, he did re-write half the cast of the book as black and chose Pam Grier to play the lead. But yes, that's my fav. official Tarantino film too, and I agree wholeheartedly about Death Proof.
Old 05.13.2012, 09:13 PM   #15677
demonrail666
invito al cielo

Yeah, agree about the recasting but the dialogue does vary according to character. And to a large degree they're quite three dimensional. Look at Robert Forster's Max Cherry. On one level he's the antithesis of a Tarantino character, except that he evokes another (for me) more interesting aspect of his cultural universe: those underplayed made for tv-style detectives/pis, like say Jim Rockford. The only real cookie-cutter 'Tarantino-esque' characters in Jackie Brown are those connected with Samuel Jackson (ie the least interesting ones).
Old 05.13.2012, 09:39 PM   #15678
demonrail666
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murmer99

I wanted to wait for mothers day to watch this one. All things considered, this may end up being my favorite movie someday. Every single shot is beautiful to me. Wim Wenders is an excellent framer, and this film simply elucidates the most powerful emotional experience to me. The scene where Dean Stanton's character and his son are watching the old footage of his mother is touching. Dean Stanton chooses his roles in an odd way. Regardless, he's been in Wild at Heart, Fire Walk With Me, Repo Man, Last Temptation of Christ, Straight Story, Paris Texas and a few others that are very good. He even makes a cameo in The Avengers movie. Then he'll do something like the green mile or anger management. Weird. Anyways that's irrelevant. This film is perfect.

Yeah, Harry Dean Stanton fascinates me. For a while he was in everything, usually as some variation on the alcoholic dad, whether it be in some art movie or Pretty in Pink. And always good in it.
Old 05.13.2012, 09:53 PM   #15679
demonrail666
invito al cielo

Quote:
I honestly thought Sasha did an excellent job in Soderbergh's The Girlfriend Experience. I'd love to see her in more genuine acting roles. She'd make a great scream queen.

I'm not a huge Sasha Grey fan but I too wish more adult stars would get 'legit' mainstream roles. James Deen's done it and is meant to be excellent. I'd love to see Ron Jeremy do something like that, too - although I've a feeling he already has, I just can't remember what it is. And I'd love to see Lexi Belle in a mainstream action movie.
Old 05.14.2012, 12:05 AM   #15680
tw2113
expwy. to yr skull

tw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's asses

Man on the Moon: 5/10 Rather "eh" but I can say I've seen it now
684734774781782783 784 785786787794834884 > »
-->

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth