Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Sonic Gossip
Reload this Page Kim Gordon and Thurston Moore Announce Split
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 10.16.2011, 09:05 PM   #181
E. Noisefield
the end of the ugly

E. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Genteel Death
You're an idiot. One of the many idiots they picked up as fans over the years.

I don't internet fight. Think what you want.

I love and adore Kim- she's my favorite element of SY. I misspoke when I said she was less talented. That's not the case. She may be the most talented.

I was only talking about sheer musical proficiency and technical ability, which she herself has admitted is not one of her strong suits.

Kim, I adore you. You are my second favorite woman in the world (the first is my mother) and you ARE Sonic Youth.
E. Noisefield is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.16.2011, 09:09 PM   #182
golden blue
empty page

golden blue has a couple of kiss-ass net friends
Personally i cant see it working out. Obv the recent news of the split has been a long time coming and isnt really new to the SY camp (i thought i could hear rumblings of it back on rather ripped and tree outside to be frank).
However, the band going on.... well really, if yr seperating do you really think you would put yrself through 4 months, writing, 4 months recording and 1 year touring with the person yr "seperating" from.
I dont care how mature you are or amicable it is - its a very hard thing to watch each other move on... and comeon....being in a rock band... touring... yr gonna see some shit that will hurt.
i hate this.
Old 10.16.2011, 09:09 PM   #183
golden blue
empty page

golden blue has a couple of kiss-ass net friends
Personally i cant see it working out. Obv the recent news of the split has been a long time coming and isnt really new to the SY camp (i thought i could hear rumblings of it back on rather ripped and tree outside to be frank).
However, the band going on.... well really, if yr seperating do you really think you would put yrself through 4 months, writing, 4 months recording and 1 year touring with the person yr "seperating" from.
I dont care how mature you are or amicable it is - its a very hard thing to watch each other move on... and comeon....being in a rock band... touring... yr gonna see some shit that will hurt.
i hate this.
Old 10.16.2011, 09:13 PM   #184
tough titty
little trouble girl

tough titty kicks all y'all's assestough titty kicks all y'all's assestough titty kicks all y'all's assestough titty kicks all y'all's assestough titty kicks all y'all's assestough titty kicks all y'all's assestough titty kicks all y'all's assestough titty kicks all y'all's assestough titty kicks all y'all's assestough titty kicks all y'all's assestough titty kicks all y'all's asses
This is terrible news! What a sad time for Sonic Youth fans! I'm in shock!
tough titty is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.16.2011, 09:23 PM   #185
E. Noisefield
the end of the ugly

E. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's asses
Hey, friends--

Isn't it possible that they could pull a Fleetwood Mac, and continue making music as friends who respect and love eachother, but just can't be "in love" any more?

Ex's can remain friends and bandmates. White Stripes? Eurythmics?

Also, both Kim and Thurston are sensible and sensitive people. I think they could absolutely continue without any bad vibes or negative feelings. It's a long shot, but it's possible.

(on a trivial note: I would really have a hard time with The Eternal being their swan song. They have one more definitive album in them, I'm sure of it.

Plus, they care about their fans. This can't be the end. Not yet,
E. Noisefield is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.16.2011, 09:26 PM   #186
the ikara cult
invito al cielo

the ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's asses
Charalambides are the example

the ikara cult is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.16.2011, 10:05 PM   #187
DeadDiscoDildo
invito al cielo

DeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by the ikara cult
I dunno, i think theres a legitimate discussion to be had about where the group goes from here. I dont feel particularly emotional myself but i realise its a big event.

Exactly, I don't feel emotional about this at all.

Which is honestly why I've been being a dick in some other threads about this.

It's a shame they will no longer have that spark as a band they once did...but honestly...people are wigging out way too much about this.

Live your own lives and feel your own pain and stop being creepy fans.

It's overrrrrr....get some os mutantes records or something. Or just listen to the billion SY records that they released over the years...
DeadDiscoDildo is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.16.2011, 10:19 PM   #188
deflinus
expwy. to yr skull

deflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's asses
I would say I'm musically satisfied with Sonic Youth.
It's just a complete bummer though.

I really hope all of them stay within the music scene though.
I'm pretty fucking psyched for Lee's new record and I think the
turnout would be a pretty exciting time for all of the members, honestly.

I mean, that is if they all decide to quit Sonic Youth.
deflinus is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.16.2011, 10:22 PM   #189
ann ashtray
expwy. to yr skull

ann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's asses
Just realized Thurston deleted his blog. Shit sucks. I enjoyed it.

Reporter: Sway Austin
Old 10.16.2011, 11:18 PM   #190
SpectralJulianIsNotDead
invito al cielo

SpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's asses
I've never ever felt sad about a celebrity breakup.

There's a first time for everything.

I'm super bummed out. Not just for Sonic Youth, but you look at what you think is one of those few steady & trustworthy marriages & you think they'd last forever.

I can't imagine Sonic Youth without either of them.
SpectralJulianIsNotDead is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.16.2011, 11:37 PM   #191
SpectralJulianIsNotDead
invito al cielo

SpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by deflinus
if sonic youth stays together, then this will be good inspiration for the next album

Sonic Youth's version of Rumours?
SpectralJulianIsNotDead is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.17.2011, 01:08 AM   #192
Pelle
expwy. to yr skull

Pelle kicks all y'all's assesPelle kicks all y'all's assesPelle kicks all y'all's assesPelle kicks all y'all's assesPelle kicks all y'all's assesPelle kicks all y'all's assesPelle kicks all y'all's assesPelle kicks all y'all's assesPelle kicks all y'all's assesPelle kicks all y'all's assesPelle kicks all y'all's asses
It's pretty interesting that it's not mentioned here on their official website yet..
Pelle is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.17.2011, 01:12 AM   #193
ann ashtray
expwy. to yr skull

ann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelle
It's pretty interesting that it's not mentioned here on their official website yet..

I suspect we'll hear something at some point. Some sort of announcement at least on the status of the band. It's obvious they aren't really wanting to discuss it. I do think it's especially odd Thurston deleted his blog...even though I can understand.
Old 10.17.2011, 01:17 AM   #194
Alex's Trip
invito al cielo

Alex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's asses
No! I had to come back and say something. But I'm speechless

Old 10.17.2011, 01:21 AM   #195
Alex's Trip
invito al cielo

Alex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's asses
Also:

NO MORE PANTY LIES!
Old 10.17.2011, 02:07 AM   #196
foxforce5
bad moon rising

foxforce5 kicks all y'all's assesfoxforce5 kicks all y'all's assesfoxforce5 kicks all y'all's assesfoxforce5 kicks all y'all's assesfoxforce5 kicks all y'all's assesfoxforce5 kicks all y'all's assesfoxforce5 kicks all y'all's assesfoxforce5 kicks all y'all's assesfoxforce5 kicks all y'all's assesfoxforce5 kicks all y'all's assesfoxforce5 kicks all y'all's asses
Mary Fucking Christ!
Why does nearly everyone assume it would be Kim leaving and not Thurston? Or anyone else even? Even the writers of the smug responses to those questioning Kim's artistic or technical merit never stopped and thought "hell why does the chick have to leave the band and not the eternal Man-boy"?
foxforce5 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.17.2011, 02:24 AM   #197
ann ashtray
expwy. to yr skull

All of a sudden "Sonic Gossip" takes on a more literal meaning. Whatever.

I'm willing to bet the announcement was made to ease shock of something that might be rising to the surface here soon. Likely not the entire story (which is NO ONES BUSINESS), but something in the way of seeing Thurston or Kim with someone else. I mean, imagine how fans would react to that haven't this official announcement been made? And like Rob and a few others have said, there have been possible (!!!) hints over the last couple records. Songs like "Sleeping Around" and Thurston's last solo record which seemed deeply personal compared to what he usually does and laden with lyrics that at least for me make a different sort of sense now than they did when I first heard them, even if it's highly possible that some of the things I think I might be hearing are completely off. Definitely do not see this being the end of the band, as of yet anyway. I mean, they haven't said this is the end so why should I be led to believe so? Only the media is saying "future of the band uncertain"...I haven't heard that from the band unless I'm misinterpreting something somewhere. Again, 27 years is a long time...especially for two people that have been a band of their stature on the road/living together for so long. No doubt temptation has been there for both of them, and anyone that believes otherwise is greatly mistaken about the way relationships work. There are "hints" there. I've heard some things that make sense to me, and reevaluating the last few years there has definitely been an air of weirdness. Fans will always speculate and want to know what's going on in the lives of their musical heroes (I am no exception), but they are one band that does deserve their privacy even if people are going to talk (again, I am no exception) regardless. I think things are soon to get interesting in a way we've never experienced with the Youth, and I think it could possibly make for an interesting new album. We shall see.

There are things to be learned from this. Always expect the unexpected. Despite me being over my initial shock and taking on a different view of the matter, the matter is still weird. I have friends that don't care about the band that have been making jokes about it (which is fine)...but reality is I've had an interest in the band for over half my life, and have been following them at least relatively closely for the majority of that time (the internet didn't always exist as it does now...I remember when "rarities" were seldom found outside of what was released as bonus material on singles). I don't think of Sonic Youth as family or friends or anything like that, but the music they've created TOGETHER, the music itself, is one of the best friends I've ever had. Sounds silly, I know, but their music has been with me through thick and thin and sometimes when actual people/friends defintely were not there. No sense truly does sometimes make sense, and I suggest being happy for them unless news rises to the surface that leads us to believe we should not be. I mean, KIM AND THURSTON wanted this announced, if only one of them wanted it announced that might not be so good.
Old 10.17.2011, 03:20 AM   #198
EvdWee
100%

EvdWee cold hard suckaEvdWee cold hard suckaEvdWee cold hard suckaEvdWee cold hard suckaEvdWee cold hard suckaEvdWee cold hard suckaEvdWee cold hard suckaEvdWee cold hard suckaEvdWee cold hard suckaEvdWee cold hard suckaEvdWee cold hard sucka
in Matador's statement: "Plans beyond that tour are uncertain. "

Guess that's where "Future of the band uncertain" comes from
EvdWee is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.17.2011, 03:26 AM   #199
ann ashtray
expwy. to yr skull

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvdWee
in Matador's statement: "Plans beyond that tour are uncertain. "

Guess that's where "Future of the band uncertain"

Yeah, that can mean "uncertain" as far as Matador is concerned. Or maybe Thurston and Kim aren't either...either way, whatever. that tidbit is of little importance as of now.
Old 10.17.2011, 05:31 AM   #200
ann ashtray
expwy. to yr skull

Quote:
Originally Posted by groar
those examples of other bands and fleetwood mac,not good, christine mcvie moved on, but the bass player she left became a total wreck.
we're talking 27yrs, the part about they could continue without negative vibes...
what the fuck are you talking about, obviously some big black vibes have come up, cos' they're not even continuing as a married couple, I'd say the band comes after their marriage.
they no longer want to be married, but let's be friends, I still want to make music with you, but I'd never make another kid with you....
someone is not who we think they are?

Whether it be mutual or not, why should anyone remain in a relationship they aren't happy in? In doing so, you are still or more or less cheating the other person.
> »
-->

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth