Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page Music Theory
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 04.27.2007, 03:42 PM   #21
sarramkrop

I don't think you need to know that much theory to make good music, not anymore than you need just simple and constant practice. I totally agree that most music students end up bored with it because of theory taking over from what's a very important process of making music: the enthusiasm for it. That's not to say that music theory hasn't got a place, and it would be downright foolish to claim such a thing, but still i'm yet to meet a student that is immersed in music theory or classical music who i find truly versatile.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.27.2007, 08:10 PM   #22
val-holla-ing
invito al cielo

val-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarramkrop
I don't think you need to know that much theory to make good music, not anymore than you need just simple and constant practice. I totally agree that most music students end up bored with it because of theory taking over from what's a very important process of making music: the enthusiasm for it. That's not to say that music theory hasn't got a place, and it would be downright foolish to claim such a thing, but still i'm yet to meet a student that is immersed in music theory or classical music who i find truly versatile.

oddly enough, the only thing that's been keeping me in school for music (other than my awesome sax teacher) is music theory. it engages me a whole lot more than just talking about the music. it also makes writing music and improvisation more personal for me, since i enjoy it so much.

-cam'ron

(formerly "no homo")
val-holla-ing is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.27.2007, 08:21 PM   #23
val-holla-ing
invito al cielo

val-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's asses
i don't have a myspace for any of the music i do on my own (i'm super protective of it all), but my band has a myspace.

http://myspace.com/wildernesspangs
everything is from our first record that got put out in february. some of it i'm proud of, some i'm not. let me know what you think!

-cam'ron

(formerly "no homo")
Old 04.27.2007, 08:56 PM   #24
val-holla-ing
invito al cielo

thanks. i don't think myspace lets you put a 5th song on there, though. unless i missed the memo...

as for the idm, obviously not me, but i'm positive that someone on the board does it.

-cam'ron

(formerly "no homo")
Old 04.28.2007, 05:39 PM   #25
noumenal
expwy. to yr skull

noumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard sucka
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glice
I'm sure I've sent you PMs about Peter Kivy's take on this point before - if memory serves, I think it came across in that thing I sent you a while ago, my dissertation jobby? If I didn't, you really should read Peter Kivy, he's very, very good at consolidating music theory with cultural theory/ philosophy - it's basically him and Adorno, as far as I'm concerned (with an honourary mention of Schopenhauer.

Yes, I remember this. I was just throwing it out there again to see if there were any other comments on the issue. Kivy's Introduction to a Philosophy of Music has been damn near the top of my list for a while, and IT WILL BE READ THIS SUMMER (I'm most curious to check out the bibliography or recommended works). I will be drowning in Adorno soon because he is read heavily where I'm going in the fall. I look forward to it. I already have a firm grasp on the Schopenhauer--am I wrong to think that you threw him in there for my sake?
noumenal is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.01.2007, 02:36 PM   #26
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
Schopenhauer I know by proxy; Adorno I know for being entirely essential and having read nearly everything he's written on music. I disagree in large parts with him, but he is entirely indispensible, to my mind. Schopenhauer, I would offer, is of lesser importance to my mind because I can bastardise a pre-20th Century aesthetics of music out of Kant.

Bleh. I'm ill and can't write.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.02.2007, 05:47 AM   #27
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
i have a theory about music. it roxxxxxxxxxxxxx.

except "rather ripped".

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth