Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Sonic Gossip
Reload this Page Sonic Youth do Dylan
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 08.09.2007, 11:50 PM   #21
Moshe
Super Moderator

Moshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's asses
http://www.vinylfevertampa.com/

Tracklist according to Vinyl Fever:

All Along The Watchtower --Eddie Vedder & The Million Dollar Bashers
As I Went Out One Morning--Mira Billotte
Ballad Of A Thin Man--Stephen Malkmus & The Million Dollar Bashers
Billy--Los Lobos
Can You Please Crawl Out Your Window--The Hold Steady
Can't Leave Her Behind--Stephen Malkmus & Lee Ranaldo
Cold Irons Bound--Tom Verlaine & The Million Dollar Bashers
Dark Eyes--Iron & Wine & Calexico
Fourth Time Around--Yo La Tengo
Goin' To Acapulco--Jim James & Calexico
Highway 61 Revisited--Karen O & The Million Dollar Bashers
I Wanna Be Your Lover--Yo La Tengo
I'm Not There--Bob Dylan
I'm Not There--Sonic Youth
Just Like A Woman--Charlotte Gainsbourg & Calexico
Just Like Tom Thumb's Blues--Ramblin' Jack Elliot
Knockin' On Heaven's Door--Antony & The Johnsons
The Lonesome Death Of Hattie Carroll--Mason Jennings
Maggie's Farm--Stephen Malkmus & The Million Dollar Bashers
Mama You've Been On My Mind--Jack Johnson
The Man In The Long Black Coat--Mark Lanegan
Moonshiner--Bob Forrest
One More Cup Of Coffee--Roger McGuinn & Calexico
Pressing On--John Doe
Ring Them Bells--Sufjan Stevens
Señor (Tales Of Yankee Power)--Willie Nelson & Calexico
Simple Twist Of Fate--Jeff Tweedy
Stuck Inside Of Mobile With Memphis Blues Again--Cat Power
The Times They Are A Changin'--Mason Jennings
Tombstone Blues--Richie Havens
When The Ship Comes In--Marcus Carl Franklin
Wicked Messenger--The Black Keys
You Ain't Goin 'Nowhere--Glen Hansard & Markta Irglov
Moshe is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.10.2007, 01:13 AM   #22
Chris Lawrence

Chris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's asses
right on. i'm so thrilled to hear malkmus & lee collaborate, as well as eddie + tweedy amongst the others. i'm somewhat disappointed i'm not a bigger dylan fan to appreciate all this...
http://www.sonicyouth.com/mustang // original folk blues ... . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .i'm the boy that can enjoy invisibility. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Chris Lawrence is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.10.2007, 01:32 AM   #23
Moshe
Super Moderator

Moshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's asses
The Million Dollar Bashers are Tom Verlaine (gtr.), John Medeski (organ/keyboards), Tony Garnier (bass) and Steve Shelley (drums). This compilation has 7 songs with SY members playing!
Old 08.10.2007, 02:07 AM   #24
greenlight
invito al cielo

greenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's asses
great, that's great tracklist. what about movie? when is the release date?
greenlight is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.11.2007, 11:10 PM   #25
Moshe
Super Moderator

900 people have read this thread! I guess allot of Dylan fans are googling around.

http://theplaylist.blogspot.com:80/2...k-million.html

"I'm Not There" Gets 34th Track; Million Dollar Bashers Revealed

Well it wouldn't be a Playlist Saturday without an update on the Todd Haynes directed, Bob Dylan biopic "I'm Not There" update, right? Another inside source enjoying our blog, has let us know that when we originally reported 34 tracks and speculated the soundtrack would be 2-disc set, we were correct.

Our last update had what we assumed was the soundtrack's final 33 songs (though as we stated earlier, no we don't believe the tracklist will actually be alphabetical) so we thought our original source was bad at arithmetic. However, the missing 34th track is John Doe (ex of X) doing a second cover, "I Dreamed I Saw St. Augustine" from 1967's John Wesley Harding.

Another big question we had was the identity of The Million Dollar Bashers - the band that backs a multitude of the artists covering Zimmy songs on the soundtrack, including Eddie Vedder, Karen O, Stephen Malkmus and Tom Verlaine (ex of Television).

Considering it has already been reported that Malkmus' sessions were recorded with Sonic Youth's Lee Ranaldoand Dylan bass player Tony Garnier, we figured these two were involved. Turns out we weren't far off the mark. Our source also revealed the band's membership which includes the aforementioned Ranaldo and Garnier, plus Sonic Youth drummer Steve Shelley, Verlaine,keyboardist John Medeski (from Martin, Medeski and Wood), guitarist Smokey Hormel (onetime Beck guitarist, Smokey & Miho) and Wilco avante-guitarist Nels Cline.

In related news, is a video being shot for a single on this 2-disc soundtrack set? A post on Craigslist, is currently searching for Bob-Dylan look alikes for his new video. Is the title track, "I'm Not There" becoming a video? Sounds like it could be and would make sense. The video shoot takes place Tuesday August 14, someone should report back. Rolling Stone saw a sneak preview of the film and while our preview had some of the same stuff, they reported that Sonic Youth's version of the titular track plays over the film's closing credits. Those of you reading involved in the film (and we know you're out there), we would like to see it soon too.
Old 08.12.2007, 12:14 AM   #26
Cantankerous
invito al cielo

Cantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's asses
how exciting, i can't wait to hear this. if they do as good a job as they did on 'within you without you' i will be impressed.
cate blanchett looks great dressed as dylan. i hear she's a fan of sy.
Old 08.13.2007, 12:17 AM   #27
Moshe
Super Moderator

http://usatoday.printthis.clickability.com/pt/cpt?action=cpt&title=Music%27s+%27outsiders+and+ou tlaws%27+put+their+own+spin+on+Dylan+-+USATODAY.com&expire=&urlID=23431935&fb=Y&url=http %3A%2F%2Fwww.usatoday.com%2Flife%2Fmusic%2Fnews%2F 2007-08-12-dylan-biopic-inside_N.htm&partnerID=1663

Music's 'outsiders and outlaws' put their own spin on Dylan
By Anthony Breznican, USA TODAY
I'm Not There uses six actors to play Bob Dylan, but the soundtrack employs more than three dozen singers and musicians to create new versions of his songs.
Not all of the tracks will make it into the finished film, set for release Nov. 21, but the producers hope to put out a two-disc soundtrack album with the extras.

MORE: Film splits Dylan's personality among six actors
Dylan gave the filmmakers his blessing, but he hasn't been involved in the creation of the film or soundtrack.
The title of the film comes from an obscure song on The Basement Tapes, a heavily bootlegged collection of experimentation that Dylan recorded in the late 1960s. That recording will be included in the movie, says director Todd Haynes, and Sonic Youth does a cover version of it as well. "He has one imperfect recording of it, and it feels raw, but it's just gorgeous," Haynes says of Dylan's original. "It's a fragile, enigmatic song, and he clearly is filling in the cadences of the lyrics as he's performing. He's not even saying coherent words in some of the lyrics, which adds tragic mystery to the whole piece."

Other artists on the soundtrack are Pearl Jam's Eddie Vedder singing All Along the Watchtower, Jack Johnson on Momma You've Been on My Mind, Willie Nelson covering Señor (Tales of Yankee Power), and Dylan's longtime friend Ramblin' Jack Elliott — a fellow disciple of Dylan's hero Woody Guthrie — performing Just Like Tom Thumb's Blues.
The filmmakers wanted artists with certain artistic integrity, not just recent chart-topping pop acts, says music supervisor Randall Poster. "We went with a lot of outsiders and outlaws. That's the connection they share with Dylan," says Poster, who has spent two years compiling the collection. "We needed a certain caliber of artist to record the songs and lend their own style rather than just do imitations. But they are certainly flirting with Dylan."
Sonic Youth co-founder Lee Ranaldo produced the film's backup band, The Million Dollar Bashers, named after another Basement Tapes song. The group includes guitarist Tom Verlaine of the band Television; jazz keyboardist John Medeski; Tony Garnier, Dylan's bass player; Sonic Youth drummer Steve Shelley; roots guitarist Smokey Hormel; and Wilco guitarist Nels Cline.
The film features an international, interracial and cross-gender group of actors as Dylan. The young black actor Marcus Carl Franklin plays Dylan as a boy and sings 1963's When the Ship Comes In.
Stephen Malkmus, formerly of the band Pavement, sings Maggie's Farm and Ballad of a Thin Man for the segment in which Cate Blanchett plays an androgynous Dylan.
When Christian Bale portrays Dylan in his "freewheelin' " early career, Minnesota-based singer Mason Jennings performs the songs The Times They Are a-Changin' and The Lonesome Death of Hattie Carroll.
Later, Bale plays Dylan in his early '80s Born Again religious period, and alt-country/punk star John Doe provides the vocals on the gospel infused Pressing On and the folk-oriented I Dreamed I Saw St. Augustine.
"At that point in his life, he is an evangelist. He is having a kind of catharsis," says Doe, who is touring with his album A Year in the Wilderness.
Doe adds he was careful not to be too faithful: "For me, Bob Dylan kind of set people free. You're allowed to do anything you want. The only thing about Bob Dylan is you've got to be careful because it's really easy to try to be him. He's so inspiring, you can find yourself doing 'Bob Dylan lite,' and it's terrible."
Other artists in the collection include Jeff Tweedy performing Simple Twist of Fate, Yo La Tengo doing 4th Time Around and I Wanna Be Your Lover, Charlotte Gainsbourg covering Just Like a Woman, and Iron & Wine with Calexico doing a version of Dark Eyes.
Glen Hansard and Marketa Irglova, currently in theaters starring in the Irish street-musician romance Once, perform You Ain't Goin' Nowhere.
The I'm Not There filmmakers say Dylan is uncomfortable looking back too much on his life, and Hansard says he picked up the same vibe. When he met Dylan, they talked about Guthrie instead: "Anyone who's ever been around him will tell you, if you know Bob, you don't talk about Bob," Hansard says.
If the film intrigues its own subject, it's probably because it's a playful interpretation of his life rather than a re-creation.
As Doe says, it's best never to imitate Dylan too closely.
Old 08.13.2007, 10:20 AM   #28
londondaydream
empty page

londondaydream kicks all y'all's asseslondondaydream kicks all y'all's asseslondondaydream kicks all y'all's asseslondondaydream kicks all y'all's asseslondondaydream kicks all y'all's asseslondondaydream kicks all y'all's asseslondondaydream kicks all y'all's asseslondondaydream kicks all y'all's asseslondondaydream kicks all y'all's asseslondondaydream kicks all y'all's asseslondondaydream kicks all y'all's asses
Can some kind soul please upload Lee's cover of Visions of Johanna? I can't find it anywhere and really want to hear it. Same for the other Dylan cover mentioned earlier in this thread.
londondaydream is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.13.2007, 10:47 AM   #29
sonicl
invito al cielo

sonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by londondaydream
Can some kind soul please upload Lee's cover of Visions of Johanna? I can't find it anywhere and really want to hear it. Same for the other Dylan cover mentioned earlier in this thread.
There's a copy of the CD that it's on downstairs in Music & Video Exchange in Notting Hill for three quid.
sonicl is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.13.2007, 10:52 AM   #30
Moshe
Super Moderator

What CD?
Old 08.13.2007, 11:22 AM   #31
sonicl
invito al cielo

sonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's asses
Oh, hang on, ignore me. I'm getting my Bob Dylans and my Velvet Undergrounds all mixed up. It's very easy, you know. The CD in Music & Video Exchange is "Heaven and Hell Vol 3", a Velvet Underground tribute, featuring "Stephanie Says". The release with "Visions of Johanna" is "Outlaw Blues Vol 2", which, obviously, is a Dylan tribute.
sonicl is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.13.2007, 12:28 PM   #32
Georgekrz
stalker

Georgekrz kicks all y'all's assesGeorgekrz kicks all y'all's assesGeorgekrz kicks all y'all's assesGeorgekrz kicks all y'all's assesGeorgekrz kicks all y'all's assesGeorgekrz kicks all y'all's assesGeorgekrz kicks all y'all's assesGeorgekrz kicks all y'all's assesGeorgekrz kicks all y'all's assesGeorgekrz kicks all y'all's assesGeorgekrz kicks all y'all's asses
just seems to be a bit of confusion here- one post it says lee ranaldo played with and produced the million dollar bashers (playlist), and in the other one(usa today) it says he just produced.

in any case, sounds interesting. now if only verlaine and richard lloyd kissed and made up...
Georgekrz is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.24.2007, 09:02 AM   #33
jico.
expwy. to yr skull

jico. kicks all y'all's assesjico. kicks all y'all's assesjico. kicks all y'all's assesjico. kicks all y'all's assesjico. kicks all y'all's assesjico. kicks all y'all's assesjico. kicks all y'all's assesjico. kicks all y'all's assesjico. kicks all y'all's assesjico. kicks all y'all's assesjico. kicks all y'all's asses
official trailer released

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CZGseissqX8
jico. is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.06.2007, 01:25 PM   #34
Moshe
Super Moderator

The cover of the soundtrack:

Old 09.11.2007, 12:22 PM   #35
Moshe
Super Moderator

Exclusive: Joe Henry & The Producers Behind 'I'm Not There's Soundtrack

Turns out Sonic Youth's Lee Ranaldo wasn't the only one producing tracks for the Bob Dylan biopic "I'm Not There" soundtrack, but with 34 tracks and over two dozen individual artists recording songs for the album, this would stand to reason (the complete tracklist is here).

Joe Henry, the singer-songwriter who's generally (and condescendingly) noted as being Madonna's brother-in-law produced a bunch of sessions for the album including "I'm Not There" Dylan actor Marcus Carl Franklin's rendition of "When The Ship Comes In" (from The Times They Are A-Changin') Richie Havens'take on "Tombstone Blues" (from Highway 61 Revisited), Ramblin' Jack Elliot's "Just Like Tom Thumb's Blues"cover, Bob Forrest's "Moonshiner" (The Bootleg Series Volumes 1-3) and the pair of tracks recorded by ex X singer-guitarist John Doe.

"It's not hard to do something beautiful when the material's great," Henry told the London Telegraph of producing the "I'm Not There" songs. "I've learned a tremendous amount producing others. When it's not your own persona that you are trying to bear aloft, you are free of the blinders of that kind of vanity, you see the way all kinds of things can work."

Rick Rubin protege George Drakoulias worked with Cat Power & Bob Lanegan on their Dylan tracks. John Agnello produced The Hold Steady track and co-produced the Sonic Youth's version of "I'm Not There." Yo La Tengo stuck to who they know best - their long-time producer and collaborator Roger Moutenot and former Dylan touring multi-instrumentalist David Mansfield co-produced (with Antony) the Antony & The Johnsons' adaptation of "Knockin' On Heaven's Door" (Antony recently said his rendering was "slow and minor").

Calexico founder Joey Burns produced the sessions for the songs that his eclectic group acted as backing band for: Iron & Wine, Willie Nelson, My Morning Jacket's Jim James, Charlotte Gainsbourg and Roger McGuinn.

As we previously reported, Ranaldo produced all the sessions with "The Million Dollar Bashers." A supergroup who we first revealed includes the aforementioned Ranaldo, Bob Dylan bassist and live musical director Tony Garnier, Sonic Youth drummer Steve Shelley, ex-Television founder Tom Verlaine, keyboardist John Medeski (from Martin, Medeski and Wood), guitarist Smokey Hormel (onetime Beck player, member of Smokey & Miho) and Wilco avante-guitarist Nels Cline.

The Bashers back plenty of artists on the soundtrack including Eddie Vedder, the Yeah, Yeah, Yeah's Karen O, Stephen Malkmus and Tom Verlaine.

You'll remember that a number of the artists on the soundtrack previously professed their love for Dylan by performing his songs in November 2006 during a benefit for the Music For Youth Project.

And we've learned that while Julianne Moore plays the older version of the Joan Baez character in the film, Canadian actress Fanny La Croix plays the younger version alongside Heath Ledger.
Old 09.11.2007, 01:30 PM   #36
Toxa
100%

Toxa kicks all y'all's assesToxa kicks all y'all's assesToxa kicks all y'all's assesToxa kicks all y'all's assesToxa kicks all y'all's assesToxa kicks all y'all's assesToxa kicks all y'all's assesToxa kicks all y'all's assesToxa kicks all y'all's assesToxa kicks all y'all's assesToxa kicks all y'all's asses
wow, even Nels is in! damn, I'm so excited to hear this....
Toxa is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.12.2007, 02:58 PM   #37
Moshe
Super Moderator

9/12/2007

Todd Haynes Talks Dylan Covers In 'I'm Not There'

In a Rolling Stone piece not yet online (seeing a trend?), "I'm Not There" director Todd Haynes and music supervisor Randall Poster ("Rushmore,"Velvet Goldmine") talked about the Bob Dylan music covered in the biopic and track down the elusive titular track.

We just revealed the producers behind every track on the soundtrack CD.

Apparently getting their hands on a workable version of the obscure bootleg, "I'm Not There," wasn't an easy task. "We had to dig to the ends of the earth to dig up a version we could use," Poster told RS. Evidently, their search ended at Neil Young's California Ranch where the tracks had been locked away since 1968 - a Dylan associate sent him a master copy accidentally.

Of the various covers in the film Todd Haynes singled out the track done by the husky-throated Pearl Jam singer. "Eddie Vedder did an awesome job with 'All Along The Watchtower,' " Haynes said. "But that's a hard task for anybody. It's very exciting to take songs that are much lesser-known and make them something really special and unique."

Indeed the soundtrack (due October 30) tends to skew towards the more obscure Dylan tracks and doesn't feature classics such as, "Like A Rolling Stone," "Blowin' In The Wind," (though the disc does feature Antony and the Johnsons on "Knockin' On Heaven's Door" and Mason Jennings tackling "The Times They Are A Changin' ", but these are the only super-obvious tracks on the disc).

Haynes enlisted Sonic Youth's Lee Ranaldo to assemble the crack team of musicians behind the Million Dollar Bashers (check the dates, we revealed their identities first) act as the backing band for five tracks on the album (Haynes directed Sonic Youth's "Disappearer" video which is collected on the DVD video "Sonic Youth - Corporate Ghost: Videos, 1990-2002 (2004)").

The most important member of that band might be longtime Dylan bassist and touring musical director Tony Garnier. "Tony had some really helpful hints about the songs" Sonic Youth drummer Steve Shelly said, of helping the Bashers capture the "wild mercury" of the sound of Dylan's 1966 tour featuring the Band.

Poster said one of his personal music highlights was My Morning Jacket's Jim James' take on "Goin' To Acapulco" (from the Band abetted The Basement Tapes), which as reported, he actually sings in the film with Dylan's white-faced Rolling Thunder Revue-era makeup. "Filming that scene was one of those great moments," said Poster. "Just being there and feeling the power of the music - I think everyone felt it."

Meanwhile, Cate Blanchett, who plays the main Bob Dylan character in the film, Jude (or at least she's garnering all the accolades) told the W magazine one of main reasons she took the role was because of Hayne's work on the Barbie-doll starring "Superstar: The Karen Carpenter Story." "It was really emotionally honest, this Barbie doll barfing into the toilet," she said without a trace of irony (she apparently strapped down her breasts for the role of Dylan to match his then near-emaciated state).

[PS. You can watch all of "Superstar: The Karen Carpenter Story" on google video, and can download the whole thing at Illegal Art]
Old 09.12.2007, 03:31 PM   #38
greenlight
invito al cielo

greenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's asses
can't wait to see the movie and mostly to hear soundtrack. so when should it be out?
greenlight is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.13.2007, 09:31 PM   #39
silverfreepress (sdasher)
the destroyed room

silverfreepress (sdasher) kicks all y'all's assessilverfreepress (sdasher) kicks all y'all's assessilverfreepress (sdasher) kicks all y'all's assessilverfreepress (sdasher) kicks all y'all's assessilverfreepress (sdasher) kicks all y'all's assessilverfreepress (sdasher) kicks all y'all's assessilverfreepress (sdasher) kicks all y'all's assessilverfreepress (sdasher) kicks all y'all's assessilverfreepress (sdasher) kicks all y'all's assessilverfreepress (sdasher) kicks all y'all's assessilverfreepress (sdasher) kicks all y'all's asses
The movie is having two showings at the New York Film Festival on Oct. 4 and 6th. Also on the 6th Todd Haynes, director is taking part in a Q & A. All of those events are sold out. But nothing is ever truly sold out, there'll be a re release plus there's always standby on the day of.

NYFFlink

Then on Nov 21 the film opens at the Film Forum in New York. I guess LA too. Weinstein says they'll take the release of this movie slow. FFlink

If anyone scrored tickets for the absurd 10am show on 10/6 I guess I'll see you there.
silverfreepress (sdasher) is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.17.2007, 02:47 AM   #40
Moshe
Super Moderator

Todd Haynes & Christine Vachon on "I'm Not There"

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth