Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Sonic Gossip
Reload this Page Steve Albini Goes Off on Sonic Youth
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 10.21.2010, 05:46 AM   #121
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
There is a thread for this elsewhere, I'm too lazy to look, but there are countless interviews -- the most noteworthy being with the Siltbreeze president -- discussing how labels have to buy adspace for their records to get reviews, and pay more to get good reviews.

Also, a few years ago, the ad guy's email was hacked and the results were posted on a message board. Some guy print screened about 50 emails, from various labels/bands and posted them. I have them on a disc somewhere -- and they confirmed that, at least a few years ago and at least those specific bands/labels (one of the albums in question at the time was Bloc Party), good ratings went to those who paid.

The best emails in the lot, though, were the ones where the guy was cheating on his wife with one of his coworkers. I got that one of those saved on my photobucket, it's fucking priceless.

Anyway, this may no longer be their practice, as they caught all sorts of hell at the time of this, but ... well, I have a good feeling it still is. I mean, most magazines/websites with any popularity have to do this -- they rely on ads to make money, they know they probably won't get money for ads if they don't give good ratings. That's why you never see littler bands (see: Experimental Dental School) get good ratings on pitchfork, despite being of high quality...

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.21.2010, 05:49 AM   #122
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
Here's one of the "cheating on the wife" emails.. fucking hilarious!

Doing a quick google search of Chris Kaskier reveals he is (was?) pitchfork's advertising director, and you can probably uncover more of the emails too. Funny shit. But seriously -- read the above email. Funniest shit ever. Pitchfork is a joke.

Apparently, he likes to roam the Pitchfork offices nude. Might as well, what else would they do?

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth