Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Sonic Gossip
Reload this Page Kim Gordon and Thurston Moore Announce Split
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 10.16.2011, 04:22 PM   #161
_slavo_
invito al cielo

_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses
sad news

you're the boy

that can enjoy
invisibility
_slavo_ is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.16.2011, 05:13 PM   #162
DeadDiscoDildo
invito al cielo

DeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Genteel Death
You're an idiot. One of the many idiots they picked up as fans over the years.

You may very well be the king of them
DeadDiscoDildo is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.16.2011, 05:14 PM   #163
DeadDiscoDildo
invito al cielo

DeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by RanaldoNecro
E. Noisefield praised her in several lines. He just said that in one area, she might struggle. That is just a strengths and weaknesses observation.

E.N. also said that 'she makes the band' which is the highest compliment.

What E.N. said was valid.

It doesn't matter, you can't disagree with him or offend anything he holds dear without him viewing you as inferior, and rash.
DeadDiscoDildo is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.16.2011, 05:47 PM   #164
Genteel Death
invito al cielo

Genteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadDiscoDildo
You may very well be the king of them
Outraged.
Genteel Death is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.16.2011, 05:57 PM   #165
Genteel Death
invito al cielo

Genteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by RanaldoNecro
Who said this a woman/man issue?
Your mum shitface.
Old 10.16.2011, 06:08 PM   #166
RanaldoNecro
expwy. to yr skull

RanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's asses
I guess it is a sexist issue.
Old 10.16.2011, 06:14 PM   #167
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
Irrational and unfeasible as it may be, I have always maintained that a long-standing band, upon losing any member, should change their name.

REM without Bill Berry was not what I knew as REM
Pavement became an entirely different sonic entity when they switched drummers, from slack to classic rock

All deference to the great and mighty stve shelly but SY has always beena triumverate of LeeKimThurston to me. They are the core, from 1980 to now. No Kim, no SY and I am fairly certain lee and thurston would agree with me
Old 10.16.2011, 06:20 PM   #168
fishmonkey
invito al cielo

fishmonkey kicks all y'all's assesfishmonkey kicks all y'all's assesfishmonkey kicks all y'all's assesfishmonkey kicks all y'all's assesfishmonkey kicks all y'all's assesfishmonkey kicks all y'all's assesfishmonkey kicks all y'all's assesfishmonkey kicks all y'all's assesfishmonkey kicks all y'all's assesfishmonkey kicks all y'all's assesfishmonkey kicks all y'all's asses
Gutted.. Totally gutted

that is all.
Old 10.16.2011, 06:21 PM   #169
the ikara cult
invito al cielo

the ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's asses
I think what Mr Necro wants to say is that a members' SOUND could be replaced whilst performing (as Mark Ibold showed, as jim O rourke showed) but Kims overall presence cannot be replaced. It is a sign of the male-centred view of rock music as a whole that even my first thought was that Kim could leave and the band could carry on. About 30 seconds of reflection on this idea was enough to realise it was ludicrous to imagine SY without Kim, as if id forgotten the first time I heard Shoot or I Love You Golden Blue or Reena. Or The Neutral, or Beauty Lies in the Eye, or Shadow of a Doubt. Or Kissability or Brave Men Run or Kool thing or Tunic...

the ikara cult is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.16.2011, 06:31 PM   #170
Genteel Death
invito al cielo

The point is that you're kind of slow. Sonic Youth are the four people who have been in Sonic youth for so long. If you doubt that, you're kind of stupid, Or handicapped. Or just... stupid.
Old 10.16.2011, 06:31 PM   #171
Genteel Death
invito al cielo

no, you're just stupid.
Old 10.16.2011, 06:36 PM   #172
the ikara cult
invito al cielo

the ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Genteel Death
The point is that you're kind of slow. Sonic Youth are the four people who have been in Sonic youth for so long. If you doubt that, you're kind of stupid, Or handicapped. Or just... stupid.

that directed my way porky?

Old 10.16.2011, 06:37 PM   #173
Genteel Death
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by the ikara cult
that directed my way porky?
No.
Old 10.16.2011, 06:43 PM   #174
the ikara cult
invito al cielo

carry on

Old 10.16.2011, 06:58 PM   #175
RanaldoNecro
expwy. to yr skull

RanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's asses
Well, it wouldn't be a definitive version of SY. Consider this, all members have done extensive collaborations with a community of other artists that are all well-known. They have had Ibold & O'Rourke in for periods as well.

SY in 2011 is different than SY in 1999 or 1989. It would be a big adjustment but that doesn't mean it couldn't continue in some capacity. It is a shame but it could go on.
Old 10.16.2011, 08:15 PM   #176
Gerrystumbaugh
little trouble girl

Gerrystumbaugh kicks all y'all's assesGerrystumbaugh kicks all y'all's assesGerrystumbaugh kicks all y'all's assesGerrystumbaugh kicks all y'all's assesGerrystumbaugh kicks all y'all's assesGerrystumbaugh kicks all y'all's assesGerrystumbaugh kicks all y'all's assesGerrystumbaugh kicks all y'all's assesGerrystumbaugh kicks all y'all's assesGerrystumbaugh kicks all y'all's assesGerrystumbaugh kicks all y'all's asses
I saw X play live twice in the last few years and they fucking KILLED it.

However, it has been a few decades since they made an album.....

I can envision a Jon Doe / Exene thing maybe....
Gerrystumbaugh is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.16.2011, 08:30 PM   #177
noisereductions
invito al cielo

noisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's asses
the ironic thing is that this thread is just like a bunch of sad children lashing out because they don't know how to deal with their parents' separation.
Old 10.16.2011, 08:34 PM   #178
E. Noisefield
the end of the ugly

E. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadDiscoDildo
It doesn't matter, you can't disagree with him or offend anything he holds dear without him viewing you as inferior, and rash.

What's all this about? I don't view anyone here as inferior, and I don't expect anyone to conform to my opinions. I don't believe I've ever said anything that suggested otherwise.

I love Kim. She's the most beautiful woman in the world. She is talented beyond measure in multiple ways. I merely meant that Thurston, Lee, and Steve are all absolute expert musicians, and that her talent manifests in other ways.

She's a fine musician, but she is not a virtuoso at any specific instrument, unless you count her stunning beautiful voice.
E. Noisefield is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.16.2011, 08:40 PM   #179
E. Noisefield
the end of the ugly

E. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by ann ashtray
Aesthetic/thematic/lyrical...all of these concepts are important. Kim adds a key ingredient that could not be replaced. They all do. Each member adds something to the pot and that is what makes them Sonic Youth. Her lyrics are some of the best. And yeah, her bass playing might be simplistic (Thurston's guitar playing might be outrageously creative at times, but seldom is it anything complex. And yes, I tend to prefer "creative" to "complex") but it's an important factor in holding down what the rest of the band is doing. I'm positive not just anyone could come along and do what Kim does. Your comments are a bit unnecessary. Thats fine though, unnecessary posts are often some of my favorites.

I didn't mean any offense. Kim is monstrously talented, but even she would tell you she's not an extraordinarily precise musician.

But you're right, absolutely. I was wrong. She is not less talented. She is simply talented in a different way, just as Thurston and Lee are talented in different ways.

I take back what I said and I'll eat crow for it.

What Kim gives to the band is sacred and irreplaceable. Who was it that suggested they carry on without her? That would be wretched, depressing,and tasteless. Kim Gordon IS Sonic Youth just as much as any other member, and possibly more.

There is no SY without Kim. No more than there could be without Thurston.

Where did this ridiculous idea come from?
E. Noisefield is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.16.2011, 08:59 PM   #180
the ikara cult
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by noisereductions
the ironic thing is that this thread is just like a bunch of sad children lashing out because they don't know how to deal with their parents' separation.

I dunno, i think theres a legitimate discussion to be had about where the group goes from here. I dont feel particularly emotional myself but i realise its a big event.

> »
-->

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth