Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page What TV are you watching (live, dvd, etc.)?
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 07.26.2017, 12:06 PM   #1441
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Hey demonrail... Have you seen CLASS at all? Doctor Who spin-off that just ended its first season? It had some nice bits, but ultimately suffered from too much adolescent dipshittery. I'll still watch season 2, but I hate it when hour-long dramas focus on 17-year-olds who profess "love" for each other all the goddamn time, as though any 17-year-old has lived enough to grasp the meaning of the word, let alone while away months of their lives on such yearning. Ugh.

Still, some interesting Who-niverse stuff in there.
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.26.2017, 12:51 PM   #1442
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Severian
Isn't Pertwee's son the guy who plays Alfred on Gotham? A 50-something chap who was in, umm, Midsummer Murders or something?

Yeah, that's him, Sean Pertwee.

Quote:
Anyway, I actually rather strongly disagree about Cumberbach now that I think on it. He doesn't have the zaniness necessary to be the Doctor. And he's already taken on so many legacy characters it's kind of getting ridiculous. Strange, Khan, Sherlock, probably some others...

I agree it's too late for him now but I think he has the ideal persona. Slightly distant/arrogant and that sense that he knows far more than he's letting on.

Quote:
I think Sir Ian Macellan would do just wonderfully in a big trans-Atlantic blockbuster directed by, say, Christopher Nolan OR... Michael Cain? Eh? Two cracking good choices for a big deal film that needed real star power.

Ian McKellen would obviously be great in some ways, and may have been fine in the early era, but as things have evolved the fact is, at some point, the poor old fucker's gonna have to run (rather than shuffle) away from a Dalek.

He'd definitely work as The Master, though.

Quote:
My favorite Doctor is Tenant, but I really like Smith and Capaldi and also Baker and Pertwee though I've seen not a ton of the latter.

Tennant definitely dominates the modern era as much as I'd say Baker dominated the earlier one. I do prefer the earlier era but I'd say the one thing (besides Tennant) that really has succeeded in this one is the companions. They were mainly just a fun element in the earlier era (motivated mostly, im sure, jto get the dads watching) but they've really come into their own now. I'd go so far as to say Rose pretty much carried the Ecclestone season and Donna Noble was something else altogether. Not to say there haven't been some duds but I would say the best companions from this era walk all over the best the earlier one had to offer. I'd also say Missy is a great idea forf the Master, although it remains to be seen where they go with that.

Quote:
I think Tennant just had some of the best 1-2 episode stories in Who history.

Out of interest, which two are you thinking of?
demonrail666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.26.2017, 01:05 PM   #1443
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Hey demonrail... Have you seen CLASS at all? Doctor Who spin-off that just ended its first season? It had some nice bits, but ultimately suffered from too much adolescent dipshittery. I'll still watch season 2, but I hate it when hour-long dramas focus on 17-year-olds who profess "love" for each other all the goddamn time, as though any 17-year-old has lived enough to grasp the meaning of the word, let alone while away months of their lives on such yearning. Ugh.

Still, some interesting Who-niverse stuff in there.

Yeah, I couldn't agree more. I enjoyed aspects of it but the kids drove me mad. There was just something so cringeworthy about them.
Old 07.26.2017, 10:12 PM   #1444
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by demonrail666
Tennant definitely dominates the modern era as much as I'd say Baker dominated the earlier one. I do prefer the earlier era but I'd say the one thing (besides Tennant) that really has succeeded in this one is the companions. They were mainly just a fun element in the earlier era (motivated mostly, im sure, jto get the dads watching) but they've really come into their own now. I'd go so far as to say Rose pretty much carried the Ecclestone season and Donna Noble was something else altogether. Not to say there haven't been some duds but I would say the best companions from this era walk all over the best the earlier one had to offer. I'd also say Missy is a great idea forf the Master, although it remains to be seen where they go with that.

Out of interest, which two are you thinking of?

Well, I kind of meant 1-2 episode small arcs in general, as opposed to half-season and full-season arcs, which just leveled up insanely with the creative team behind Smith, and Capaldi.

BUT, as I was typing that, I could name off hand the best Tennant episodes in my opinion, and I think they're probably the best Doctor Who episodes I've ever seen.

They are (CLOSE YOUR EYES SYMBOLS!):

1. "Midnight"
2. "The Impossible Planet" & "The Satan Pit"
3. "Silence in the Library"

^^ these are behind just great Who, or great SF. These are great fucking televisions, great fucking FILM. "Midnight" might be the greatest bottleneck episode in the history of television.

Yep. These are my undeniable faves. Agree?
Old 07.27.2017, 04:27 AM   #1445
demonrail666
invito al cielo

Midnight was brilliant, an occasion where the formula was ripped up for something closer to art; showing the creative freedoms the modern era has compared with the classic one. It's hard to even think that Midnight and something like Ark in Space are even from the same universe. In that sense the two eras are almost incomparable. While some episodes from the modern era stand up as great TV drama in their own right, irrespective of the whole Dr Who (and even sf) thing, I wouldn't say that's true of any from the classic era. I do still prefer the warts and all simplicity of that era but that only stems from what I want from a Doctor Who story in the 1st place.: namely a bit of eccentric wit, a pinch of science, a weird radiophonic workshop soundtrack and a man in a rubber suit threatening all mankind.
Old 07.27.2017, 09:53 AM   #1446
ilduclo
invito al cielo

ilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's asses
thanks a ton for the recco's. I'd recalled some great recent who, but didn't know the titles enough to search for them. Now I do Along the same great story arc, the who spinoff Torchwood had a great one on the arrival of the 456. If there's anyone who hasn't seen it. it is really really good.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Torchw...ldren_of_Earth
ilduclo is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.27.2017, 10:28 AM   #1447
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilduclo
thanks a ton for the recco's. I'd recalled some great recent who, but didn't know the titles enough to search for them. Now I do Along the same great story arc, the who spinoff Torchwood had a great one on the arrival of the 456. If there's anyone who hasn't seen it. it is really really good.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Torchw...ldren_of_Earth

Oh hell yeah I've seen it. Possibly the best season of Torchwood (definitely the best?) and certainly a fucking epic story. I actually quite liked Torchwood, despite some insanely stupid moments.

Don't watch the US version. The US tried to bring it overseas for a "fourth season" with Omar Epps on Fox, but holy shit did it fall apart. I didn't get past the second episode.
Old 07.27.2017, 10:39 AM   #1448
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonrail666
Midnight was brilliant, an occasion where the formula was ripped up for something closer to art; showing the creative freedoms the modern era has compared with the classic one. It's hard to even think that Midnight and something like Ark in Space are even from the same universe. In that sense the two eras are almost incomparable. While some episodes from the modern era stand up as great TV drama in their own right, irrespective of the whole Dr Who (and even sf) thing, I wouldn't say that's true of any from the classic era. I do still prefer the warts and all simplicity of that era but that only stems from what I want from a Doctor Who story in the 1st place.: namely a bit of eccentric wit, a pinch of science, a weird radiophonic workshop soundtrack and a man in a rubber suit threatening all mankind.

Yep on "Midnight." Spot on. I think it's an excellent example of the intrinsic "horror" of Doctor Who, and a great example of how it is a horror show in the purest sense of the word. At least the modern incarnation is.

I'm definitely more of a reboot kind of guy, but that probably has a lot to do with the fact that I only saw a handful of older episodes during the first 29 years of my life. I didn't really sit down and start drilling through seasons until the reboot, so that tone and style are what I've come to expect from and enjoy about the Doctor. I like the older episodes, but I'm not super invested in them.

I think Eccleston was terrible though. Just a really poor choice for the character, with poor style decisions (v-necks and a leather jacket? For the fucking Doctor?) but Tennant came around and I thought, "Ok, now this is more like what I remember, but with a new look and a modern sense of urgency." But of course that was deliberate .... they knew they'd made a fuck-up and a half with Eccleston, and sought a course-correction and they nailed it, and saved the reboot that was otherwise looking quite in peril.

All this Who talk is making me want to watch the old episodes and the first several reboot seasons again. Too bad not on Netflix. Fucking damn.
Old 07.28.2017, 03:10 PM   #1449
h8kurdt
invito al cielo

h8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's asses
Has anyone been watching Handmaid's Tale?

Down with this sort of thing.
h8kurdt is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.28.2017, 03:43 PM   #1450
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
I have not.

I have been re-watching Eastbound & Down since I got a free trial to HBO to watch the GoT without having to torrent.......
Old 07.28.2017, 03:44 PM   #1451
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by h8kurdt
not me/ not yet but have read good reviews

==

i just finished vikings 4.2 and the previous season (6) of gaymotron. all good stuff!
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.28.2017, 03:48 PM   #1452
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
what do you guys think of HBO's ROME and VINYL? worth watching?
Old 07.28.2017, 03:52 PM   #1453
demonrail666
invito al cielo

Quote:
a horror show in the purest sense of the word. At least the modern incarnation is.

I definitely agree. The earlier era had horror element but really came into its own with its big epic space operas, stuff like Deadly Assassin - an area that I don't think the modern era has quite got to grips with. Maybe because 'golden age' writers like Terry Nation, Douglas Adams, etc, were more closely associated with SF than modern writers like Moffatt or Gaiman seem to be. Not better or wose, just different and shaping the series in different ways.

Quote:
I think Eccleston was terrible though. Just a really poor choice for the character, with poor style decisions (v-necks and a leather jacket? For the fucking Doctor?)

Haha, yeah, just wrong. Surely the central point when casting the Dr is to remember he/she/it isn't human. Ecclestone was simply too earthly: too much of an everyman.

Quote:
All this Who talk is making me want to watch the old episodes

I'd really recommend The Deadly Assassin as a way into that period. It's probably about as must-see as the 'golden age' gets; laying out big chunks of vital info about Timelords and The Master. Probably the defining Tom Baker story, too.

I think it's on Netflix

Old 07.28.2017, 08:54 PM   #1454
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by h8kurdt

Just got the first episode. Not looking forward to the rape, but I'm a fan of the book, so I feel I should.
Old 07.29.2017, 02:16 AM   #1455
h8kurdt
invito al cielo

h8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Just got the first episode. Not looking forward to the rape, but I'm a fan of the book, so I feel I should.

I've heard nothing but good things about it so I'm looking forward to watching it. ANNOYINGLY the ch4 catch-up site only has episodes up for 28 days, so the first 3/4 episodes are no longer available to watch.

And they wonder why people fucking pirate shit.

Down with this sort of thing.
h8kurdt is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.29.2017, 09:04 AM   #1456
evollove
invito al cielo

evollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Instigator

VINYL had a good first episode, but shit went downhill real fast. I bailed on episode five or something. I just didn't care.

A Sopranos guy--Tim van Patten--was involved and didn't like the direction the show was going, so he left. He was 100% right. Although a second season was planned, HBO terminated the renewal.
evollove is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.29.2017, 09:28 AM   #1457
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
I have not.

I have been re-watching Eastbound & Down since I got a free trial to HBO to watch the GoT without having to torrent.......

haaa haaaa i love that show

Quote:

i haven't seen vinyl, but ROME IS FUCKING GREAT

i was sad when it ended. wanted many more seasons.
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.29.2017, 10:16 AM   #1458
Severian
invito al cielo

EASTBOUND & DOWN IS FUCKING HILARIOUS!

That was the last "dumbass" kind of comedy show that I watched and actually enjoyed. Loved it. Bought the whole series on DVD.
Old 07.29.2017, 06:48 PM   #1459
LifeDistortion
expwy. to yr skull

LifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's asses
I liked Rome quite a bit. Not sure if it was fine that it only lasted two seasons of it it could have continued. I didn't mind Vinyl as I watched it. Not sure I'd say it was great, or terrible, but if it got a second season I'd probably have watched it.
LifeDistortion is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.29.2017, 08:53 PM   #1460
tw2113
expwy. to yr skull

tw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's asses
Almost through season 3 of "You're The Worst".
63707172 73 74757683123173 > »
-->

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth