Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page who here can play a musical instrument?
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 01.11.2008, 08:47 PM   #41
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantankerous
i learned on my own in a room with a guitar, okay? no sheet music, no lessons, no nothing. that's a bit more impressive than being able to read music. i

I really should put this thread down. I learnt the same way though, except I bought some sheet music a few years down the line.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.11.2008, 08:48 PM   #42
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
yeah but i'm not a flamenco or jazz or classical guitarist! so who cares?

Right, ok, YES. I ENTIRELY AGREE. The point I was making was that it's cuntish to criticise others, and I ended up coming across like a cunt who's criticising other. Sorry and such.

Quote:
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Old 01.11.2008, 08:50 PM   #43
atari 2600
invito al cielo

atari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by terminal pharmacy
it is exactly the same,in fact even worse seeing as you are a self professed non musician that can only play alittle bit, and you had such a go at avant. It's not him that is the village idiot. that is the last you will here from me on said topics.

All one needs to know to get started with the
guitar and play a whole variety of material is how to read and play from tab. Are you a fucking idiot?

rhetorical question alert

How am I a "non-musician" just because I can't sight read?

Virtually no one fucking sight reads. Go through your music collection. .001% of those people can sight read, loser.

And Glice, I hope you read that. Just about the only musicians that sight read on any cd you own are classical musicians on a classical music cd, and that's it.
atari 2600 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.11.2008, 08:51 PM   #44
terminal pharmacy
invito al cielo

terminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's asses
you can't read music so you can't be a musician, just like avant can't play chords so he is the village idiot. one word HYPOCRITE
terminal pharmacy is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.11.2008, 08:53 PM   #45
atari 2600
invito al cielo

atari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's asses
Idiot

Quote:
it is exactly the same,in fact even worse seeing as you are a self professed non musician that can only play alittle bit, and you had such a go at avant. It's not him that is the village idiot. that is the last you will here from me on said topics.

guitar and play a whole variety of material is how to read and play from tab. Are you a fucking idiot?

Virtually no one fucking sight reads. Go through your music collection. .001% of those people can sight read, loser.

And Glice, I hope you read this too. Just about the only musicians that sight read on any cd you own are classical musicians on a classical music cd, and that's it.

Let me state it emphatically: your arguments are feeble because your minds are feeble. You have no leg to stand on. And it's rather obvious that you guys are real fucking assholes.
Old 01.11.2008, 08:55 PM   #46
Glice
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by atari 2600

I'm not saying you're a non-musician; I'm saying that, if you're going to pull rank, someone else can easily pull rank. Mr Avant-garde can choose to not play chords, or even care about what they are. Just because you are interested and inclined towards playing the guitar from Tab (or by ear) doesn't mean that this is the right way to play. Just because I can sight-read does not mean I play guitar the absolutely correct way. Just because Mr Avant-garde chooses to play the guitar as a textural sound-source* does not mean he is playing the guitar the correct way.

Mr Clone, as ever the voice of temperate wisdom, makes a very good point about TG, who are one of my favourite bands of ever, ever.

*I'll admit to putting words into his mouth; I'll rescind if he elects to come back and prove himself an idiot.

Quote:
Old 01.11.2008, 08:56 PM   #47
Cantankerous
invito al cielo

Cantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glice
Right, ok, YES. I ENTIRELY AGREE. The point I was making was that it's cuntish to criticise others, and I ended up coming across like a cunt who's criticising other. Sorry and such.
you ARE a cunt! it's okay!
Old 01.11.2008, 08:57 PM   #48
Glice
invito al cielo

Quote:
you ARE a cunt! it's okay!

Yeah! So, you up to much tomorrow? Wanna go catch a coffee and some heroin on 45th and 3rd?

Wow. That almost sounded like I've lived in upstate Brooklyn all my life. Seamless I am, seamless.

Quote:
Old 01.11.2008, 08:57 PM   #49
atari 2600
invito al cielo

Those other guys are cunts, whereas Glice is a cunt par excellence.

He's still trying to state that I'm "pulling rank" when he has no logical argument.

Old 01.11.2008, 08:58 PM   #50
Cantankerous
invito al cielo

Cantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Yeah! So, you up to much tomorrow? Wanna go catch a coffee and some heroin on 45th and 3rd?

Wow. That almost sounded like I've lived in upstate Brooklyn all my life. Seamless I am, seamless.
oh you're fucking clever
i'm going to the hell's kitchen flea market tomorrow morning like i do every saturday
Old 01.11.2008, 09:00 PM   #51
Glice
invito al cielo

Quote:
Those other guys are cunts, whereas Glice is a cunt par excellence.

He's still trying to state that I'm "pulling rank" when he has no logical argument.

I'm stating nothing; ignore my posts; smoke some weed, play some guitar, listen to some records. Enjoy yourself. I've made my point, you disagree. You've made your point, I disagree. There is no quarrel here.

Quote:
Old 01.11.2008, 09:07 PM   #52
terminal pharmacy
invito al cielo

terminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's asses
i am just using reading as a point to highlight your contradiction to yourself, avant is village idiot cos he can't play chords as far as you are concerned, but as soon as someone points out that you can;t be that good cos you don't read is exactly the same thing. you know what i think tab is for morons but only morons like you, anyone else on this board who reads tab cos they can't read music is prefectly fine with me, but 99.9% of those people don't pick on someone who knows slightly less than them. especially when they stated that they didn't really play guitar and just liked knoodling on it and you denegrate them because of that. well if you think that is appropriate for you to do that because they don't know some chords and you tell them that it isn't that hard and it takes a little bit of stick to it ness, why the fuck should other people not do that to you to make a point. if you think you are more intelligent than someone else and they ask a question, why not help them and be a much nicer human being, rather than denegrate them and make them feel not so good about them selves. as i said before occasionally you post some fantastic stuff but most of the time you are just an asshole to people. it is not easy to be nice all the time, and it isn't easy just living on a day to day basis sometimes, but for fuck sake it can be made a whole lot easier. if you behaved in a nicer manor on this board most of the time we would never have threads like this, unfortunately you choose differently. i wish you would just stop being a prick to people and behave like a genuinely nice human being, if indeed that is in your nature. i couldn't care less who plays music and who doesn't but you tried to make avant feel like less because he can't play chords. as i said before music is right for everyone on the planet not jut people who can play alittle or alot. music also has healing powers that nothing else, no other art form has.
Old 01.11.2008, 09:10 PM   #53
Glice
invito al cielo

In fairness, arguments are more fun than endless "YEAAHHH!!! SONIC LIFE!!!!" threads.

Quote:
Old 01.11.2008, 09:11 PM   #54
terminal pharmacy
invito al cielo

Quote:
In fairness, arguments are more fun than endless "YEAAHHH!!! SONIC LIFE!!!!" threads.

not when people are just flat out mean for no reason though.
Old 01.11.2008, 09:16 PM   #55
Glice
invito al cielo

You seem like a decent sort. Have a picture of some balloons.

Quote:
Old 01.11.2008, 09:27 PM   #56
atari 2600
invito al cielo

Quote:
i am just using reading as a point to highlight your contradiction to yourself, avant is village idiot cos he can't play chords as far as you are concerned, but as soon as someone points out that you can;t be that good cos you don't read is exactly the same thing. you know what i think tab is for morons but only morons like you
Dude, you're a freak.

Quote:
Originally Posted by me
That's not even applicable, terminal. I'm not like avantgarde1 who
plucks the strings of an untuned guitar like a fucking
village idiot.

And that's all well and good for him, just as long as he realizes (all I was ever trying to do is make him realize) that there is a broader palette of musical expressions
available if he only applies himself a little someday.

But that's not his argument. Instead he doggedly insists that he's "decided" to never learn even basic chords.

And I suppose you've got his back because you're just as pig-headed as he is.

You gotta tune to something at some point. Tune to an open chord sometime and try that maybe. Get a capo and play with that with the open chord tuning.
If you love the guitar, then for art's sake, act like it!
Old 01.11.2008, 09:29 PM   #57
atari 2600
invito al cielo

Savage Clone's observations
are well-thought out and excellently stated.
He displays a bit of a penchant towards
diplomacy in this reply, but it's definitely what
the situation called for amid the chaos of all the
nonsensicalness.

Quote:
You can make interesting music without knowing anything about the instrument you're using.
A group like Throbbing Gristle is an exceptional example, and while the Throbbing Gristles of the world are very very few, it does happen on occasion. Eno as well.

Over time, you are bound to wind up knowing "something" about your instrument just by immersion, and hopefully become more proficient, if even just in your own narrow application.

I do think people can make better "avant garde" music if they know what they're doing to begin with, just because they will have a wider array of techniques to draw from. Plus, you have a much wider range of expression at your fingertips if you get to know your instrument.

That's all I was ever trying to get avantgarde1 to realize.
And just maybe I would have gotten somewhere without the presence of the thug that goes by the name terminal pharmacy.
Old 01.11.2008, 09:42 PM   #58
terminal pharmacy
invito al cielo

i expect that from savage clone though, as he is a rational poster and not a mean prick, or a thug apparently like myself....or a freak.......or an idiot.....anymore atari

and thats what you were trying to get from avant by calling him a village idiot......

and i see you have gone back and changed some posts to make yourself look more favourable atari, not willing to stick by your words?
Old 01.11.2008, 09:49 PM   #59
atari 2600
invito al cielo

Yes, that was precisely my point, terminal pharmacy. Funny how you "expect" that from Savage Clone. Savage Clone just affirmed every damn thing I was attempting to express to dimwits such as yourself.
If you can't infer as much yourself then you're just dumb, man.
Sorry, it must suck for you. Now if you were mentally handicapped I'd have to apologize at this point, but you're not. You're just lazy and ignorant.

One has to learn some amount of craft and have some level of discipline before they can ever truly be free.
The same goes for painting or just about any art form.

Those that think they are more free (unshackled through not knowing something about how to play) or whatever by willingly refusing to learn about their instrument are mistaken.

If you love the guitar, then act like it for art's sake!
Old 01.11.2008, 09:55 PM   #60
terminal pharmacy
invito al cielo

Quote:
Yes. Funny how you "expect" that from Savage Clone. Savage Clone just affirmed every damn thing I was attempting to express to dimwits such as yourself.
If you can't infer as much yourself then you're just dumb, man.
Sorry, it must suck for you. Now if you were mentally handicapped I'd have to apologize at this point, but you're not. You're just lazy and ignorant.

One has to learn some amount of craft and have some level of discipline before they can ever truly be free.
The same goes for painting or just about any art form.

Those that think they are more free (unshackled through not knowing something about how to play) or whatever by willingly refusing to learn about their instrument are mistaken.

If you love the guitar, then act like it for art's sake!

another changed post by atari 2600 ------

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth