Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Sonic Gossip
Reload this Page looks like someone stole a lyric from ed ruscha
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 01.03.2010, 12:25 PM   #1
looking glass spectacle
100%

looking glass spectacle kicks all y'all's asseslooking glass spectacle kicks all y'all's asseslooking glass spectacle kicks all y'all's asseslooking glass spectacle kicks all y'all's asseslooking glass spectacle kicks all y'all's asseslooking glass spectacle kicks all y'all's asseslooking glass spectacle kicks all y'all's asseslooking glass spectacle kicks all y'all's asseslooking glass spectacle kicks all y'all's asseslooking glass spectacle kicks all y'all's asseslooking glass spectacle kicks all y'all's asses

.... walked out of the back of a museum in la jolla, ca to smoke a cig and found this great big mural....

looking glass spectacle is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.03.2010, 12:33 PM   #2
looking glass spectacle
100%

looking glass spectacle kicks all y'all's asseslooking glass spectacle kicks all y'all's asseslooking glass spectacle kicks all y'all's asseslooking glass spectacle kicks all y'all's asseslooking glass spectacle kicks all y'all's asseslooking glass spectacle kicks all y'all's asseslooking glass spectacle kicks all y'all's asseslooking glass spectacle kicks all y'all's asseslooking glass spectacle kicks all y'all's asseslooking glass spectacle kicks all y'all's asseslooking glass spectacle kicks all y'all's asses
some fact checking dates ruscha's use of the phrase to this 1983 painting

which predates the death valley single with that song on the b-side... i've always been a huge fan of sy's relationship with artists like gerhard richter, mike kelley, richard pettibon, etc etc not to mention their lyrics inspired by philip k dick and william gibson.

but i have to admit i'm just a tiny bit disappointed to find out that they didn't think of this one themselves.....

Old 01.03.2010, 12:44 PM   #3
looking glass spectacle
100%

although now i see the visual context for

Seven days and seven nights
I dreamt a sailor's dream at sea

i have to admit i'm more than a little disappointed that more musicians don't borrow from painters...

Old 01.03.2010, 01:07 PM   #4
RanaldoNecro
expwy. to yr skull

RanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's asses
i have to admit i'm more than a little disappointed that more musicians don't borrow from painters...

I echo that sentiment. I have been dissapointed as well by certain finds. Especialy when they are direct steals...
Old 01.03.2010, 02:21 PM   #5
looking glass spectacle
100%

ultimately... i do love a thief with good taste....

Old 01.03.2010, 04:27 PM   #6
RanaldoNecro
expwy. to yr skull

RanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's asses
google kills thiefs...If SY had used that line in a less prominent manner than it might have been ok. But this is shitty.

Whats next? Santa Claus?
Old 01.03.2010, 05:04 PM   #7
Genteel Death
invito al cielo

Genteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's asses
Why is it a big deal? It's not like they are the only band who has borrowed from a painter or writer. I could understand if they had blatantly ripped off another song's lyrics, but considering their visual arts background it just seems like a normal thing for them to incorporate words from some artwork in some of their lyrics.
Genteel Death is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.03.2010, 05:17 PM   #8
jennthebenn
expwy. to yr skull

jennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's asses
They had a poster of the "Brave Men Run" work in their studio. For what it's worth. Stop children what's that sound. I don't think they were trying to pull the wool with that appropriation.
Old 01.04.2010, 07:50 PM   #9
RanaldoNecro
expwy. to yr skull

seems pretty direct to me. When you use something as the conceptual basis for a song that is different.
Old 01.04.2010, 09:05 PM   #10
looking glass spectacle
100%

gah! now i wish i hadn't pointed out the source of the lyric.

it has nothing to do with 'direct'.... my reason for not minding that they didn't think it up themselves is that i find "originality" to be overrated... originality coupled with bad taste is far worse on the ears or the eyes than thievery coupled with good taste. obviously thievery coupled with bad taste should be punished harshly. this is really what happened to vanilla ice, as the beastie boys had already done far more theft than he had. they got away with it because they'd done it in style... rhymin and stealin, one might say.

jenn's reason for not minding that they didn't think it up themselves seems to have to do with there was no intention to deceive, but you'll have to ask her to elaborate...

in any case, if yr gonna be stubborn about it, forget i ever told you where the lyric came from...

Old 01.04.2010, 09:52 PM   #11
noisereductions
invito al cielo

noisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's asses
um, has anyone said "no shit, Sherlock" yet? Kim openly admitted this like 20 yrs ago.
Old 01.04.2010, 10:12 PM   #12
jennthebenn
expwy. to yr skull

jennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's asses
My only elaboration would be just to reiterate what others have said re:
if you're going to steal/borrow/appropriate, steal/borrow/appropriate
something good. And then have the good sense to admit to your good
taste. Which SY do, repeatedly. The Ruscha painting as inspiration for
"Brave Men Run" has been fessed up to, as NR also points out.
Old 01.04.2010, 10:14 PM   #13
Inhuman
invito al cielo

Inhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's asses
And on to more important matters than bickering (just for you LGS!)... the font there looks like another Helvetica knock off. Notice the bottom horizontal 'shaft' of the F is shorter than it should be, the U is a tad wider, and there is more of a sense of squareness in the lettering. Has anyone seen the Helvetica documentary? It's good stuff with good arguments from supporters and haters

Inhuman is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.05.2010, 02:17 AM   #14
Chris Lawrence

Chris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by noisereductions
um, has anyone said "no shit, Sherlock" yet? Kim openly admitted this like 20 yrs ago.

i was waiting for this
http://www.sonicyouth.com/mustang // original folk blues ... . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .i'm the boy that can enjoy invisibility. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Chris Lawrence is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.05.2010, 12:27 PM   #15
beppie deux
empty page

beppie deux has a couple of kiss-ass net friends
ach ja, like they say in holland: beter goed gejat, dan slecht verzonnen = something like: better steal it good, instead of making up shit yourself
beppie deux is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.05.2010, 04:49 PM   #16
flophousefloozie
expwy. to yr skull

flophousefloozie kicks all y'all's assesflophousefloozie kicks all y'all's assesflophousefloozie kicks all y'all's assesflophousefloozie kicks all y'all's assesflophousefloozie kicks all y'all's assesflophousefloozie kicks all y'all's assesflophousefloozie kicks all y'all's assesflophousefloozie kicks all y'all's assesflophousefloozie kicks all y'all's assesflophousefloozie kicks all y'all's assesflophousefloozie kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by noisereductions

Exactly what I was thinking. They've mentioned it a few times. They've never denied it, because their intentions were good.
flophousefloozie is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.05.2010, 04:53 PM   #17
flophousefloozie
expwy. to yr skull

flophousefloozie kicks all y'all's assesflophousefloozie kicks all y'all's assesflophousefloozie kicks all y'all's assesflophousefloozie kicks all y'all's assesflophousefloozie kicks all y'all's assesflophousefloozie kicks all y'all's assesflophousefloozie kicks all y'all's assesflophousefloozie kicks all y'all's assesflophousefloozie kicks all y'all's assesflophousefloozie kicks all y'all's assesflophousefloozie kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by looking glass spectacle
gah! now i wish i hadn't pointed out the source of the lyric.

in any case, if yr gonna be stubborn about it, forget i ever told you where the lyric came from...

And I don't think anyone in this thread needed you to point that out, so no need for regret.
flophousefloozie is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.05.2010, 06:53 PM   #18
Dr. Eugene Felikson
invito al cielo

Dr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inhuman
And on to more important matters than bickering (just for you LGS!)... the font there looks like another Helvetica knock off. Notice the bottom horizontal 'shaft' of the F is shorter than it should be, the U is a tad wider, and there is more of a sense of squareness in the lettering. Has anyone seen the Helvetica documentary? It's good stuff with good arguments from supporters and haters

I don't get it. Someone made a documentary with a type of font as the subject? Is there really that much to be said?
Dr. Eugene Felikson is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.05.2010, 10:26 PM   #19
automatic bzooty
invito al cielo

automatic bzooty kicks all y'all's assesautomatic bzooty kicks all y'all's assesautomatic bzooty kicks all y'all's assesautomatic bzooty kicks all y'all's assesautomatic bzooty kicks all y'all's assesautomatic bzooty kicks all y'all's assesautomatic bzooty kicks all y'all's assesautomatic bzooty kicks all y'all's assesautomatic bzooty kicks all y'all's assesautomatic bzooty kicks all y'all's assesautomatic bzooty kicks all y'all's asses
at least ruscha is a good source to steal (heavily borrow?) from
automatic bzooty is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth