Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Blah blah blah
Sonic Youth 40 64.52%
The Beatles 22 35.48%
Voters: 62. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03.02.2007, 06:56 AM   #21
Toilet & Bowels
invito al cielo

Toilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glice
I don't mind Gwen's latest stuff. That wind it up single was amaaazin', the weirdest bit of proper pop I've heard in years.

is that the one with the yodeling?
Toilet & Bowels is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.02.2007, 09:43 AM   #22
atari 2600
invito al cielo

atari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's asses
nature scene, flophouseflolozie, the wall91, demonrail666...I'm so glad there are people here that can actually think for themselves rationally instead of being herded entirely.

but the thread itself is #98 in a series of pork-barrel Beatles-bashing threads. Anytime I disagree with him (even if it's only in one post) he has to start some shit like this. He's fucking whacked, that cat. Last time it was Rob and I who made a couple of remarks in his "J. Mascis solos sound like he plays them with his ass " thread, he starts this shit because he knows we like The Beatles. Is there any end to the childishness?
atari 2600 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.02.2007, 09:48 AM   #23
Savage Clone
invito al cielo

Savage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's asses
OK, so lemme get this straight...

People who like the Beatles (one of the most popular groups of all time across many different social groups worldwide) are free-thinking mavericks, and people who aren't as big on them are hive-minded sheep.

OK, so I guess personal taste really has nothing to do with it, then?
Savage Clone is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.02.2007, 09:53 AM   #24
atari 2600
invito al cielo

atari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's asses
The question was about influence. Are you going to sit there and be willfully ignorant?

LET'S GET REAL, SNOWFLAKE. It was The Beatles that transformed the world enough to even allow a band like The Velvet Underground to ever get any fans. It was The Beatles that set the stage for the counter-culture and spread its message to a mass audience that became the counter-culture generation. Yeah, sure, they failed, they became yuppies or whatever, but the seed was still planted by the The Beatles. Not by Chuck Berry, not by Elvis, not Dylan, not by your favorite '60s garage band, not by The Kinks, not by The Rolling Stones or Grateful Dead. I don't have time to elucidate upon the obvious, and I'm writing here in a general way, but it was The Beatles that made Sonic Youth even possible.

Let me get this straight. Everytime porkmarras leads an immature directive against me by starting bullshit topics you're going to side with him in spite of the facts?

OK, so I guess the truth really has nothing to do with it, then?
Old 03.02.2007, 09:56 AM   #25
Savage Clone
invito al cielo

Savage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's asses
Edit:
I know this thread was a joke, and was probably made during some kind of exchange between atari and porkmarras, and is neither here nor there really.

Still, it is possible to recognize the Beatles' achievements (and yes, even to enjoy some of their songs) without really having them resonate with you at a deep level. It's all about whether or not something speaks to the individual listener. You can come up with all the arguments in the world, do all the namecalling you like, and it will not change the fact that some people are simply quite sincere in not liking this music enough to call themselves "fans."
Just because you think most krautrock is overrated and subpar, I'm not going to sit here and tell you that you have some kind of ulterior motive in these opinions just to "separate yourself and look cool."
It's about TASTES, which are individual.
Old 03.02.2007, 09:57 AM   #26
[iorxhscimtor]
little trouble girl

[iorxhscimtor] chews with a vagina dentata[iorxhscimtor] chews with a vagina dentata[iorxhscimtor] chews with a vagina dentata[iorxhscimtor] chews with a vagina dentata[iorxhscimtor] chews with a vagina dentata[iorxhscimtor] chews with a vagina dentata[iorxhscimtor] chews with a vagina dentata
Sonic Youth, because they are really underrated and the other band are the most overrated in music history (and I hate them)
[iorxhscimtor] is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.02.2007, 09:58 AM   #27
Savage Clone
invito al cielo

I'm not "siding" with anyone.
He obviously made this thread to bait you, and he was speaking in an individual context in any case (the way I read it, at least).

I did give you some credit for not taking the bait.
Yesterday.
Old 03.02.2007, 10:01 AM   #28
atari 2600
invito al cielo

Well, he's supposed to be gone, right?

Time to dance on his grave then.
Old 03.02.2007, 11:34 AM   #29
hotbutterknives
bad moon rising

hotbutterknives kicks all y'all's asseshotbutterknives kicks all y'all's asseshotbutterknives kicks all y'all's asseshotbutterknives kicks all y'all's asseshotbutterknives kicks all y'all's asseshotbutterknives kicks all y'all's asseshotbutterknives kicks all y'all's asseshotbutterknives kicks all y'all's asseshotbutterknives kicks all y'all's asseshotbutterknives kicks all y'all's asseshotbutterknives kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Instigator

nice tits!
hotbutterknives is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.02.2007, 11:40 AM   #30
pantophobia
expwy. to yr skull

pantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tokolosh
Sonic Youth, because they've lasted longer.

Edit: Also, Kim isn't Yoko, if you know what I mean.

ummm, not even close, easy to blame the outsider for 4 massive egos spliting in each direction

remember, Ringo was the first to leave the band, then he had a change of heart, then came back (Octopus' Garden was written during that time), then Phil Spector came in, and Paul got pissed and left
pantophobia is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.02.2007, 05:43 PM   #31
finding nobody
invito al cielo

finding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's asses
I have much love for both. But, I voted Beatles
finding nobody is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.02.2007, 06:30 PM   #32
Green_mind
the end of the ugly

Green_mind kicks all y'all's assesGreen_mind kicks all y'all's assesGreen_mind kicks all y'all's assesGreen_mind kicks all y'all's assesGreen_mind kicks all y'all's assesGreen_mind kicks all y'all's assesGreen_mind kicks all y'all's assesGreen_mind kicks all y'all's assesGreen_mind kicks all y'all's assesGreen_mind kicks all y'all's assesGreen_mind kicks all y'all's asses
holy cow, there are boobies in this thread, you gotta have some kind of warning for this, now I gotta go lie down.
Green_mind is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.02.2007, 06:46 PM   #33
finding nobody
invito al cielo

finding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Green_mind
holy cow, there are boobies in this thread, you gotta have some kind of warning for this, now I gotta go lie down.
Cold shower, cold shower..
finding nobody is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.02.2007, 06:59 PM   #34
k-krack
invito al cielo

k-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's asses
HAHAHAHAHAHA
Sorry... but comparing The Beatles to Sonic Youth... This thread.. hah-hah!
(I hate the Beatles except for maybe half of "the White Album")

Danny is a C.H.U.D.
k-krack is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.02.2007, 07:18 PM   #35
fishmonkey
invito al cielo

fishmonkey kicks all y'all's assesfishmonkey kicks all y'all's assesfishmonkey kicks all y'all's assesfishmonkey kicks all y'all's assesfishmonkey kicks all y'all's assesfishmonkey kicks all y'all's assesfishmonkey kicks all y'all's assesfishmonkey kicks all y'all's assesfishmonkey kicks all y'all's assesfishmonkey kicks all y'all's assesfishmonkey kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by pantophobia

remember, Ringo was the first to leave the band, then he had a change of heart, then came back (Octopus' Garden was written during that time), then Phil Spector came in, and Paul got pissed and left

thats crazy, i didnt know that at all! I know fuck all about the beatles. i bought (Sgt Peppers, Rubber Soul and Revolver) but i didnt know that about Ringo, i grew out of them as quick as i go into them really so i try not to use too many bad words about em ..apart from bollox and fuckers... and wankbags. Like a firework in yr hand really
i try to keep a distance.
Old 03.02.2007, 08:49 PM   #36
terminal pharmacy
invito al cielo

terminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's asses
not a beatles fan but voted beatles because the evidence would support if you did a survey of say 5000 people. if you think ratioanlly about these things they really do make sense.
terminal pharmacy is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.02.2007, 08:53 PM   #37
whorefrost
invito al cielo

whorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asses
i approached the poll emotionally rather than rationally as i do most things... a fault more than a boast i suppose
whorefrost is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.09.2007, 07:46 AM   #38
atari 2600
invito al cielo

I know this thread was a joke, and was probably made during some kind of exchange between atari and porkmarras, and is neither here nor there really.
Yeah, it was his idea of a joke, especially when he included the word "influence" to encourage the replies to be as saucy as possible.

Still, it is possible to recognize the Beatles' achievements (and yes, even to enjoy some of their songs) without really having them resonate with you at a deep level.
Sure, it is. But that's mostly due to your own predisposed bias about The Beatles, let's be honest.

It's all about whether or not something speaks to the individual listener.
You can come up with all the arguments in the world, do all the namecalling you like,
...self-satisfied...obstinate...
and it will not change the fact that some people are simply quite sincere in not liking this music enough to call themselves "fans."
And some people love Green Day, but hate The Stooges. And some...well:
the world's biggets idiot douchbag (and there are tons like him)

Just because you think most krautrock is overrated and subpar,
True, it's not my hobby; it's much more your field of esoteric expertise.

I'm not going to sit here and tell you that you have some kind of ulterior motive in these opinions just to "separate yourself and look cool."
That's your thing the last time I checked.

It's about TASTES, which are individual.
But music history has already been written.
Your idiosyncratic historical revisionism will never pan out, sorry. Your opinions that exclude the importance of The Beatles (and a corresponding appreciation for their music) are ultimately irrelevant.
Old 03.09.2007, 09:24 AM   #39
nature scene
100%

nature scene cold hard suckanature scene cold hard suckanature scene cold hard suckanature scene cold hard suckanature scene cold hard suckanature scene cold hard suckanature scene cold hard suckanature scene cold hard suckanature scene cold hard suckanature scene cold hard suckanature scene cold hard sucka
only people on a sonic youth board would be so delusional to think that a band that has remained in relative obscurity, despite being together for 25 years, has had a bigger influence on humanity than a band that stormed the world and changed the face of music in the span of a decade.
nature scene is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.09.2007, 11:11 AM   #40
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
without the beatles there woudl be no ART ROCK and no sonic youth

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth