Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page my top 100 albums of 2008
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 12.19.2008, 08:55 AM   #41
greedrex
invito al cielo

greedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's asses
Suishou No Fune - Prayer For Chibi
This is really HYPED.
Who? What ? Where? When? Why?
Old 12.19.2008, 09:09 AM   #42
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
It's amazing.

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.19.2008, 09:13 AM   #43
greedrex
invito al cielo

greedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's asses
Can you give me an atsonicpark-type kinda description please?
is it anything like MGMT?
ha
ahahahahahahahahaha
Old 12.19.2008, 09:15 AM   #44
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
Let's see.. epic, sprawling... Clean guitars, chiming, echoed, moaning vocals... minimal, psychadelic, sad, drifting, waves crashing... noisey at times... uh... good?

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.19.2008, 09:16 AM   #45
Derek
invito al cielo

Derek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's asses
Not as good as MGMT sadly.
Derek is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.19.2008, 09:42 AM   #46
greedrex
invito al cielo

no drums then?
oh well i'll hunt for some sounds then.
thx
Old 12.19.2008, 04:16 PM   #47
fugazifan
invito al cielo

fugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's asses
heres a list that i compiled. it wasnt written for this forum, so some of the explanations of the bands might seem a bit obvious to you guys...
this yea was by far the year that i heard the most new music. and what a year it was... the most notable genres for me were drone and no fi rockabilly punk kind of stuff.
i think the album that i enjoyed the most this year was
David grubbs-an optimist notes the dusk.
as a whole a few songs re less good, but song #2 an optimist declines makes up for it all. what a song! mesmerizingly beautiful and unique. its what baroque music would sound like today! (i will probably write about this for S&F if thats ok)

james blackshaw-litany of echoes
probably tied with the grubbs album for best of the year
amazing beautiful. one of the solo acoustic players that really grasped the soul of fahey and basho. i might like his album sunshrine a bit better but this album is great. he focuses a bit more on melodies and uses piano. he is going to (and already has) a great career ahead of him.
i read some review of it that joked saying that its american primitive, but by an englishman, that starts with piano...

times new viking/vivian girls/ the hospitals...
the sounds of mayhem. complete no fi recordings, especially the hospitals record. but deep below something is happening. someone once told e that what she loves bout the jesus and mary chain (the early albums) is that they sound like they were recorded underwater. so if they were underwater than this wave of new bands recorded in the depth of a burning forest. complete walls of at times near static noise noise, but underneath, THEY ARE POP SONGS!

eat skull-sick to death
in the vein of the aforementioned no fi.

another band to jump on the pussy galore recording technique bandwagon-boris
their new album is great. very raw recording and lots of use of electronics. unfortunatly i haven listened to it nearly enough

sushio no fune-prayers for chibi-just....listen to it. its long, its sparse (the leitmotif of this year) the closest band for comparison is the charalambides. just a really intricate, delicate beauty. its like a wave album

ignazt-III
one guy, one electric guitar. i think hes from belgium. he sings the blues, but it sounds good. i cant stand blues with an electric guitar, but this album is great. very droney at times, very sparse....

ponytail-ice cream spiritual
kind of like deerhoof, but really jammy free feel with lots of different sections. the singer sqeaks a lot. a fun record

Kazuki Tomokawa - Blue Water, Red Water: a japanese guy with a weird voice singing tom waits like songs... its pretty good. theres one song that blew me away

grouper-dragging a dead deer up a hill
this one is pretty high up n my list. really simple and beautiful. droney with acoustic guitar, adn really beautiful songs. really emotional in its simplicity

black pus-all aboard the magic pus
brian chippendale of lightning bolt fame. his fourth album under the name black pus. really heavy loud fast. m getting sick of making up one liners for each album...

sun city girls-youre never alone with a cigarette
reissue of some songs recorded during sthe torch of the mystics period and a few unreleased tracks. its excellent

sun city girls-brothers unconnected tour disc. acoustic versions of their songs for the charles gocher (their late drummer) memorial tour. probably the last time that they will preform under the name -SCG
other great albums
pumice-quo
kemilliastet yvestat (or however they spell their name)
fennesz-black sea
aidan baker and tim hecker
christina carter - original darkness (of charalambides fame's solo album)
fire on fire-the orchard
fuck buttons-street horsing
fleet foxes
dellilah-session with dr luv (officially released this year, what can i say, it rocks)
new sunn O)))
the owl service-a garland of song

www.myspace.com/dellilahtheband
www.myspace.com/lecirquedesvampiresmusic
fugazifan is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.20.2008, 01:15 PM   #48
PAULYBEE2656
invito al cielo

PAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's asses
nice list adam.. nice to see the irish element in there too.....

ive given myself 3 or 4 days to finalize mine....
Old 12.20.2008, 02:44 PM   #49
greedrex
invito al cielo

^^ quick please Paul; I wanna know what i missed. I know yr list will rock my cock.
Old 12.22.2008, 12:37 PM   #50
PAULYBEE2656
invito al cielo

PAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's asses
patience dear cock rex.. im working on it right immediatly!

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth