Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page louder's hip-hop café III
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 09.14.2014, 07:36 PM   #1121
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuchFriendsAreDangerous
Tupac Resurrections is one of the most underrated, undervalued, and under-appreciated Tupac releases EVER..

I think its because simply put, it doesn't fit into peoples' quaint narratives about Tupac. Some people want him to exclusively be all "thug" and "gangsta" and can't embrace the intellectual, spiritual, and creative side of Tupac. Others actually want to avoid the gangsta side and want to kind of ignore Tupac's more troubled past, and Resurrections doesn't sugar coat the fact that gets lost even among Tupac fans, that he wasn't a studio gangster, indeed, he actually joined the Piru M.O.B. Bloods and was out on the blocks gang-banging working towards becoming a shot caller. In fact, its probably why he was killed.

This film should be watched in tandem with Tupac Thug Angel for a full picture of just who the fuck Tupac was.. "just another wild ass n.i.g.g.a."

I'd like to read a thoroughly researched and well substantiated biography of 2Pac. While I'm pretty damn familiar with Biggie's story, (not the Hollywood story, as much as I did like Notorious, but the relatively ugly realities of Biggie's treatment of his wife and his partners; his general seediness as a human being, etc.) I feel like I would be really into an account of the period in 2pac's life to which you're referring.

I'm sure you can point me in the right direction on this, yes? I've thought about buying this FBI case notes on Tupac Shakur that's available in iBooks, but while I want realism, I'd also like it story-form. Or at the very least a consistent chronological account.
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.14.2014, 07:57 PM   #1122
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Severian
I'd like to read a thoroughly researched and well substantiated biography of 2Pac. While I'm pretty damn familiar with Biggie's story, (not the Hollywood story, as much as I did like Notorious, but the relatively ugly realities of Biggie's treatment of his wife and his partners; his general seediness as a human being, etc.) I feel like I would be really into an account of the period in 2pac's life to which you're referring.

I'm sure you can point me in the right direction on this, yes? I've thought about buying this FBI case notes on Tupac Shakur that's available in iBooks, but while I want realism, I'd also like it story-form. Or at the very least a consistent chronological account.
Whatever you do dont read the crap book by Michael Eric Dyson.. its a.fantastic premise for an acadmic analysis of tupac BUT while I usually enjoy Brotha Dyson's crucial work, in this instance his total ignorance of a HUGE part of tupac's biography causes him to reach and project so much so as to be totally inaccurate. Even worse,tyson's song selection is so limited so as to be ineffective. Just watch the two films it pretty much covers it all

SuchFriendsAreDangerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.14.2014, 10:04 PM   #1123
noisereductions
invito al cielo

noisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's asses
I was pretty disappointed w/ Dyson's editing of Born To Hold Mics: Reading Nas' Illmatic.
Old 09.14.2014, 10:23 PM   #1124
noisereductions
invito al cielo

noisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's asses
also I remember liking Thug Angel but it's been so long since I've seen it. Will have to re-watch. But Resurrection is brilliant. Something I can rewatch over and over. And do.

Notorious was entertaining. But yeah. Biggie needs a real documentary, not some fun theater fluff.
Old 09.15.2014, 11:52 AM   #1125
Derek
invito al cielo

Derek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Dont ever post about icp again
been really loving the beverly kills ep recently. early icp is the shit.
Derek is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.15.2014, 04:16 PM   #1126
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
Not you too derek..

Old 09.15.2014, 06:42 PM   #1127
noisereductions
invito al cielo

Snoop's tenth proper studio album is an interesting one. It feels like he was really trying to make a comeback in the sense that he wanted to be respected (and perhaps get airplay) on the same level of aging rappers like Jay-Z. And as such, this album is actually really straight forward, with virtually none of the weird experiments that Snoop had dabbled with on many of his previous albums. It's also relatively short - which is a good thing when it comes to Snoop, as he's so often prone to filling up as much of an 80 minute disc has he can regardless of song quality. Here we've got just 11 songs. The record opens with "I Wanna Rock," a track that samples Rob Base and DJ E-Z Rock's classic "It Takes Two." "I Wanna Rock" got Snoop a ton of radio time, and rightly so as it's a damn fine song. Much of the rest of the album is a lot more average though. There is certainly a consistency to the style of the tracks, which is always nice to hear focus on a Snoop album. But at the same time the Dogg really seemed to be rapping his ass off throughout most of the album, and unfortunately a lot of the beats just don't really come off as anything too standout. Although I've got to admit that the Romantics interpolation on "Secrets" is an odd and interesting choice of samples by producer Battlecat. That urge to prove himself relevant seems to show with some of the guests brought in here. The Lil Jon track is better than you'd guess, but also sounds pretty subdued by the Crunk Rocker's standards. Strangely that was maybe a missed opportunity. Similarly the Soulja Boy duet fares better than expected, but it's hard to really say that their voices mesh well together. Ultimately there's not a track here that I'd really call bad though. Which is of course a complement. There's just not enough here that I'd consider great to really be excited about. It's a good album, but one that I'd suggest only after you've digested enough of the better Snoop albums and start fiending for some fresh tracks.
Old 09.15.2014, 09:18 PM   #1128
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

The is a very underrated aspect of Snoop.. that almost all his records are like 70-90 plus minutes

Old 09.16.2014, 03:52 PM   #1129
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
The is a very underrated aspect of Snoop.. that almost all his records are like 70-90 plus minutes

Is that a good thing? I've always found hip hop in general to be too afraid of editing, just in case that one cut track could have/would have been the radio smash. Especially with albums that choose to pump in as many skits as possible.

Anyway, I've never heard this Sniop album but now I kinda want to.

I also saw something of Snoop's the other day online: a compilation of buried treasures released just after Death Row went totally under. It's called "the Lost Death Row Sessions vol.1" or something. I don't know...

It's under the name "Snoop Doggy Dogg" but it's clearly some kind of opportunistic parent label release put out by the company that bought up the rights to the DR archives.

I'm really interested in hearing it. If only for mobelty's sake.
Old 09.16.2014, 03:55 PM   #1130
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
Not you too derek..

Well, not me, I assure you.
Old 09.16.2014, 08:47 PM   #1131
noisereductions
invito al cielo

Quote:
Is that a good thing? I've always found hip hop in general to be too afraid of editing, just in case that one cut track could have/would have been the radio smash. Especially with albums that choose to pump in as many skits as possible.

Anyway, I've never heard this Sniop album but now I kinda want to.

I also saw something of Snoop's the other day online: a compilation of buried treasures released just after Death Row went totally under. It's called "the Lost Death Row Sessions vol.1" or something. I don't know...

It's under the name "Snoop Doggy Dogg" but it's clearly some kind of opportunistic parent label release put out by the company that bought up the rights to the DR archives.

I'm really interested in hearing it. If only for mobelty's sake.

that album got really good reviews. It seems like it was pretty untouched. Not all remixes and shit like Dead Man Walking or Pac's Nu Mix Classix albums. That Death Row Sessions actually has legit Doggystyle outtakes and Dre produced songs.
Old 09.16.2014, 08:52 PM   #1132
noisereductions
invito al cielo

sev, I'm reading Questlove's autobiography right now - Mo Meta Blues. It's really good. On sale for $9 on the Google Play Store... though I think you're an Apple dood huh? Anyway so worth reading.
Old 09.16.2014, 09:29 PM   #1133
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

Quote:
Is that a good thing?

YES! I've always loved Snoop's records, and for them to be long enough to put on for an entire evening session is brilliant! We used to just kick it all night and go through all kinds of other records, but those Snoop records would last the duration..

When there is a good record, why stop it?

Old 09.16.2014, 09:38 PM   #1134
noisereductions
invito al cielo

my thing is I'm always a fan of short and solid records. I like a really good 40 min record honestly. I mean Midnight Mauraders is 50 mins. Just so perfect. I don't need a full hour. I need just this solid burst of genius.
Old 09.16.2014, 09:44 PM   #1135
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by noisereductions
also:

Digable Planets - Blowout Comb -

I was lagging on responding to this but thank you, I haven't heard Digable Planets in 15 years and I basically totally forgot about them until you posted it and then BAM an entire portion of my brain came back into focus and I totally remembered loving them.. They were probably the most "west coast" sounding of Brooklyn groups EVER... I just love that groove, that bass, those bad ass piano fills.. PERFECT record yo. This was the sound that gave birth to one of my favorite records, Fugees the Score.. I got to order this on Amazon mp3 TONIGHT

Quote:
my thing is I'm always a fan of short and solid records. I like a really good 40 min record honestly. I mean Midnight Mauraders is 50 mins. Just so perfect. I don't need a full hour. I need just this solid burst of genius.

For rap I like looooooong records so I can either bump the continuously in my whip or we can put them on for extended kick back sessions into the evening..

notable lengthy records includes

Tribe Called Quest The Love Movement
Slick Rick Art of Story Tellin
E-40 The Element of Surprise
Bone Thugz N Harmony Art of War
Tupac All Eyez On Me
Snoop Dogg The Da Game Is To Be Sold Not To Be Told
The Game Doctor's Advocate

all these are at least 80 minutes though Bone, E-40, and Tupac are double disc

and the most lengthy and significant of them all

Killah Priest The Psychic World of Walter Reed

Old 09.17.2014, 07:02 AM   #1136
noisereductions
invito al cielo

Quote:
I was lagging on responding to this but thank you, I haven't heard Digable Planets in 15 years and I basically totally forgot about them until you posted it and then BAM an entire portion of my brain came back into focus and I totally remembered loving them..

glad I could be of service! And really, this is exactly why I share these little reviews instead of keeping them to myself. On top of the potential for interesting conversation about records, it's awesome to discover/re-discover something you love.

Quote:
They were probably the most "west coast" sounding of Brooklyn groups EVER...

nah, Masta Ace Incorporated is the most west coast Brooklyn group

Quote:
I just love that groove, that bass, those bad ass piano fills.. PERFECT record yo. This was the sound that gave birth to one of my favorite records, Fugees the Score..

Agree 100%. I made that same connection in my mind when I was re-listening to this. I feel like Blowout Comb was more of a blueprint for The Score than Blunted On Reality was.

Quote:
Tribe Called Quest The Love Movement

see, this is one I feel like drags a bit once you get into the bonus tracks. Though I guess if those had been on a 2nd disc instead then it would feel like a pretty good length album to me.

Quote:
The Game Doctor's Advocate

This one was really 80 mins? I don't remember it being so long. Maybe cuz it's f'ing awesome and time flies when yr having fun haha.
Old 09.17.2014, 07:08 AM   #1137
louder
invito al cielo

louder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
+1

EARL is only 24 mins and it's perfect.
louder is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.17.2014, 07:20 AM   #1138
noisereductions
invito al cielo

EARL is a great example. That record ends and I'm like "click... start over"
Old 09.17.2014, 08:56 AM   #1139
Severian
invito al cielo

I love long albums and I love short ones. I shouldn't generalize.

I mean, I think my top 2 hip hop albums ever are MBDTF & Wu-Tang Forever.

But skits get old fast. I wish they'd die & that only the best would remain. What a way to steal focus from the music. Igh!
Old 09.17.2014, 09:21 AM   #1140
noisereductions
invito al cielo

Yes, 99% of skits are skipppable garbage.
47545556 57 58596067 > »
-->

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth