Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page people on here that have studied philosophy in depth
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 05.05.2010, 04:50 PM   #1
ni'k
invito al cielo

ni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's asses
if you are willing i'd like to talk to you on msn.

i want to run some ideas by someone and see if they can help me out and tell me who has already written about these specific areas.

pm me if you want to help.

thanks.
ni'k is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.05.2010, 04:52 PM   #2
terminal pharmacy
invito al cielo

terminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's asses
i haven't but my best mate is a Dr. of Philosphy. What questions have you got you can always email me and I can pass it on.
terminal pharmacy is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.05.2010, 04:55 PM   #3
Pookie
invito al cielo

Pookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's asses
I studied one year at Uni but the manual labour got in the way.

I tried washing dishes but that didn't help.

Ended up like a blancmange.
Pookie is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.05.2010, 04:55 PM   #4
ni'k
invito al cielo

ni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's asses
i would prefer to talk on msn because i dont have that many specific questions i could reel off. its more that i want to show someone else what i have been writing and thinking so far so they can help me out. thanks anyway
Old 05.05.2010, 04:56 PM   #5
Pookie
invito al cielo

Pookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's asses
Sophistry.
Pookie is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.05.2010, 04:58 PM   #6
Lurker
invito al cielo

Lurker kicks all y'all's assesLurker kicks all y'all's assesLurker kicks all y'all's assesLurker kicks all y'all's assesLurker kicks all y'all's assesLurker kicks all y'all's assesLurker kicks all y'all's assesLurker kicks all y'all's assesLurker kicks all y'all's assesLurker kicks all y'all's assesLurker kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by ni'k
i would prefer to talk on msn because i dont have that many specific questions i could reel off. its more that i want to show someone else what i have been writing and thinking so far so they can help me out. thanks anyway

Have you been reading any philosophy?
Lurker is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.05.2010, 05:00 PM   #7
pbradley
invito al cielo

pbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's asses
Like hell I'm installing msn for any reason.
pbradley is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.05.2010, 05:01 PM   #8
Lurker
invito al cielo

Lurker kicks all y'all's assesLurker kicks all y'all's assesLurker kicks all y'all's assesLurker kicks all y'all's assesLurker kicks all y'all's assesLurker kicks all y'all's assesLurker kicks all y'all's assesLurker kicks all y'all's assesLurker kicks all y'all's assesLurker kicks all y'all's assesLurker kicks all y'all's asses
What's your philosophy behind that?
Old 05.05.2010, 05:04 PM   #9
terminal pharmacy
invito al cielo

terminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:

no probs, he doesnt use computers so not much chance there, good luck.
terminal pharmacy is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.05.2010, 05:04 PM   #10
space
expwy. to yr skull

space kicks all y'all's assesspace kicks all y'all's assesspace kicks all y'all's assesspace kicks all y'all's assesspace kicks all y'all's assesspace kicks all y'all's assesspace kicks all y'all's assesspace kicks all y'all's assesspace kicks all y'all's assesspace kicks all y'all's assesspace kicks all y'all's asses
I couldn't live without MSN. that said...

So, you're a philosopher?

Yes, I think very deeply.

Let's begin, what, where, why, or when
will all be explained like instructions to a game
See I'm not insane, in fact, I'm kind of rational
when I be asking you, "Who is more dramatical?"
This one or that one, the white one or the black one
pick the punk, and I'll jump up to attack one
KRS-One is just the guy to lead a crew
right up to your face and dis you
Everyone saw me on the last album cover
Holding a pistol something far from a lover
Beside my brother, S-C-O-T-T
I just laughed, cause no one can defeat me
This is lecture number two, "My Philosophy"
Number one, was "Poetry" you know it's me
This is my philosophy, many artists got to learn
I'm not flammable, I don't burn
so please stop burnin, and learn to earn respect
'cause that's just what KR collects
see, what do you expect when you rhyme like a soft punk
you walk down the street and get jumped
You got to have style, and learn to be original
and everybody's gonna wanna diss you
like me, we stood up for the South Bronx
and every sucka mc had a response
You think we care? I know that they are on the tip
my posse from the Bronx is thick
and we're real live, we walk correctly
a lot of suckas would like to forget me
but they can't, cause like a champ
I have got a record of knocking out the frauds in a second
on the mic, I believe that you should get loose
I haven't come to tell you I have juice
I just produce, create, innovate on a higher level
I'll be back, but for now just seckle!

[Verse Two]
I'll play the nine and you play the target
you all know my name so I guess I'll just start it
or should I say, "Start this," I am an artist
of new concepts at their hardest
cause, yo, I'm a teacher and Scott is a scholar
It ain't about money cause we all make dollars
That's why I walk with my head up
when I hear wack rhymes I get fed up
Rap is like a set-up, a lot of games
a lot of suckas with colorful names
I'm so-and-so, I'm this, I'm that
huh, but they all just wick-wick-wack
I'm not white or red or black
I'm brown.. from the Boogie Down
Productions, of course our music be thumpin'
others say their bad, but they're buggin
let me tell you somethin' now about hip hop
about D-Nice, Melodie, and Scott La Rock
I'll get a pen, a pencil, a marker
mainly what I write is for the average New Yorker
some mc's be talkin' and talkin'
tryin' to show how black people are walkin
but I don't walk this way to portray
or reinforce stereotypes of today
like all my brothas eat chicken and watermelon
talk broken english and drug sellin'
See I'm tellin, and teaching real facts
The way some act in rap is kind of wack
and it lacks creativity and intelligence
but they don't care cause the company is sellin' it
It's my philosophy, on the industry
Don't bother dissin me, or even wish that we'd
soften, dilute, or commercialize all our lyrics
Cause it's about time one of y'all hear it
And hear it first-hand from the intelligent brown man
A vegetarian, no goat or ham
or chicken or turkey or hamburger
'cause to me that's suicide self-murder
let us get back to what we call hip hop
and what it meant to DJ Scott La Rock...

[Verse Three]
How many mc's must get dissed
before somebody says, "Don't f*** with Kris!"
this is just one style, out of many
Like a piggy bank, this is one penny
My brother's name is Kenny - that's, Kenny Parker
My other brother I.C.U. is much darker
Boogie Down Productions is made up of teachers
the lecture is conducted from the mic into the speaker
Who gets weaker? The king or the teacher
It's not about a salary it's all about reality
Teachers teach and do the world good
kings just rule and most are never understood
If you were to rule or govern a certain industry
All inside this room right now would be in misery
No one would get along nor sing a song
'cause everyone'd be singing for the king, am I wrong?!
So yo, what's up, it's me again
Scott La Rock, KRS, BDP again
many people had the nerve to think we would end the trend
We're criminal minded, an album which is only ten
Funky, funky, funky, funky, funky hit records
no more than four minutes and some seconds
the competition checks and checks and keeps checkin'
they buy the album, take it home, and start sweatin'
why? well it's simple, to them it's kind of vital
to take KRS-One's title
to them I'm like an idol, some type of entity
in everybody's rhyme they wanna mention me?
or rather mention us, me or Scott La Rock
but they can get bust get robbed, get dropped
I don't play around nor do I f' around
and you can tell by the bodies that are left around
when some clown jumps up to get beat down
broken down to his very last compound
see how it sounds? a little unrational
a lot of mc's like to use the word DRAMATICAL!

Fresh for '88, you suckas...
space is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.05.2010, 05:12 PM   #11
ni'k
invito al cielo

some. not in depth. i think i have some mild understanding of deleuze - capitalism and schizohprenia specifically. i had a go at reading critique of pure reason but haha... no way. i read some neitzsche but im not really interested in that, doesnt seem very useful. also tried spinoza's ethics and had the same results. i really tried with that one after k punks recommendations! no results. i like baudrillard a lot and some zizek, except his weird facism, racism, sexism, homophobia, and the actual substance behind his talks which seems to be saying "be selfish, dont give to charity, we just need more theory, do nothing, go analyse more commodities to write articles as pointless as consuming them in the first place". he supports the war in afghanistan so fuck that. i really really like tiqqun/tci/call and read that the most. and marx but i havent read him in any kind of depth.

anyway.

my suspicions is that there is some massive error in the way im thinking or that possibly im operating under a different assumption from everyone i try to read. there are specific questions i have about the self and how its treated in western philosophy, as i used to read some buddhist stuff and they teach the self as something impermanent and illusiory. the way deleuze talks about the schizophrenic seems almost quaint, like its simply a matter of an intact sense of self which plays language games with its interlocuters. my experience of that is much different. then so im thinking, am i making some error in my thinking or what. it makes no sense to me that deleuze could see schizophrenia as able to provide any resistance to capitalism. i see it almost the opposite. maybe i don't understand deleuze. see what im saying here barely makes any sense! thats why i need to talk to someone about it ha. so the questions i want to ask are basically about the self. but its complicated and i dont want to go into it all here. its not even about deleuze really. its just some thread i seem to be seeing in all the philosophy i read that doesnt make sense to me.
Old 05.05.2010, 05:26 PM   #12
pbradley
invito al cielo

pbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lurker
What's your philosophy behind that?
There's no philosophy behind it, just as there is no wit behind your smug displays.
Old 05.05.2010, 05:54 PM   #13
Lurker
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbradley
There's no philosophy behind it, just as there is no wit behind your smug displays.

The wit isn't behind it, it's charging out in front!

Anyway, how was that smug?
Old 05.05.2010, 06:00 PM   #14
Lurker
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pookie
I studied one year at Uni but the manual labour got in the way.

I tried washing dishes but that didn't help.

Ended up like a blancmange.

SYG threads in summary.
Old 05.05.2010, 06:13 PM   #15
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
i think i have some mild understanding of deleuze - capitalism and schizohprenia specifically.

In which case it should be you offering us advice, not the other way around.
demonrail666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.05.2010, 08:19 PM   #16
pbradley
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lurker
The wit isn't behind it, it's charging out in front!

Anyway, how was that smug?
Sometimes after reading your posts, I momentarily get the distinct impression that it was written by Keeping It Simple.

That's all I'm saying. Take it as you'd like.
Old 05.05.2010, 08:24 PM   #17
Lurker
invito al cielo

Well done on the quick edit! Was going to respond with "That's early onset alzheimer's for you." but will now have to go for:

Your obsession with Keeping it Simple is becoming a problem.
Old 05.05.2010, 08:28 PM   #18
pbradley
invito al cielo

Is this like Pookie's mentioning it once is an awful lot kind of a thing? Is it some kind of in-joke to which I'm not privy?

Why are you so preoccupied with alzheimer's?
Old 05.05.2010, 08:33 PM   #19
Lurker
invito al cielo

What I meant was that your obsession with Keeping it Simples is making you see Keeping it Simples in everyone. Remember, the wits at the front, not the back.

I'm preoccupied alzheimer's because it's a big problem with the older folk of today.

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth